(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rickwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 9 years ago

This is awesome! I like how you matched the color of the ramp chasing leds to the mode. Are you just keying off of which insert is lit/flashing in the triangle grid near the flippers? Or are you reading the color info on the shot's insert/ST symbol as the ball enters the ramp? Im not a ST owner, so im not sure if those color always match. It seemed like in the multiball mode in your demo that the inserts were changing colors back and forth etc.

As a programmer ive got the wheels turning for all the possibilities.... Adding prem/le like GI lighting to a met pro for example...

Does the board have to drive strips, or could it drive multiple runs of normal led sockets like for GI?

Well done sir, well done!

#109 9 years ago

Damn it now you make me want a ST pin. Awesome work

5 months later
#274 8 years ago

Wish i could upvote this more than once!

#302 8 years ago

Without bulbs makes sense

#308 8 years ago

Just think what you could do for TF pro/LE. The mode you are in i think would be easily read from the lamp matrix as the insert in the playfield flashes. You could have yellow gi for bumblebee, red green for mudflap skids, etc. Maybe it would put some diveristy into the modes that some people complain about being repetative/similar...

#312 8 years ago

Sorry if you have answered this before, but does this support RGB color changing leds ?

1 month later
#369 8 years ago

Yep im in as well. Take my money!

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You're going to want to get to Blackened..
Before: Standard Pro Blackened.
» YouTube video
After: Pro with GI Theatre installed Blackened.
» YouTube video

It seems like the pick inserts, fuel inserts and fuel gauge insert leds are flashing/flickering. Is that just the video/camera? or is that the way the led pro is? or is that a side effect of the boards? I see it in both the BEFORE and AFTER blackened videos above.

I have an original pro (no leds) that I have put CT non-ghosting premiums in and I don't notice any flickering like this on my machine.

Its likely just the camera/video and/or the leds in that machine, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks,

Rick

#390 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hmmmm, I can't seem to catch that when watching the video. I see those inserts flashing when they should flash and solid when they are on. Easiest to compare the centre fuel gauge inserts. The first two are on and the third is flashing, with some light leakage through the fourth so it looks a bit like it is ghosting. Maybe my old eyes don't have a fast enough refresh rate . There are issues with filming digital lighting with a digital video shutter, yes, so wierd/inconsistent effects can and do result on film.
In any case, there are no side effects back to the factory inserts caused by installing this board.
Edit - yes I can see it now on the video. That is actually the camera doing a very good job of being more sensitive than the human eye and picking up stuff you can't see in real life. It's a factory artefact but totally unnoticable in the room. And by unnoticable I mean you can't see it even if you are looking for it.

Thanks. I figured it was the camera/video. This is awesome work!

2 months later
#516 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Lol, I don't really know why I posted that. haha. I know it's not very interesting. Sometimes it gets me down.
I'm sitting here in the basement trying to get the drop target handler working properly. It's not really necessary, but I have this mental condition where I need to get everything exactly right or I won't be happy with it. And a better bit of code now means easier work in the future, and more system capability. Anyway, just a nerd rant of sorts. I'll get back to work now.

Programmers work is never done. Hehe

You may have posted this before but what language/tools do you use to develop this? How do you load code on your board(s), etc.

1 week later
#546 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So back on this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/10#post-2608575 -- I had drilled holes in my inlanes for more bulbs.
Timebandit made up some extension harnesses for me to try out, and I installed those this evening.
When looking at the bottom of the playfield, the lights on the left side are in the open and not too tough. On the right, however, they're entirely under the flipper coil mounting plate. So you have to loosen the bat and yank that out. Pull the 8 screws out of the base plate and the one screw out of the fuse holder that is attached (for ease) and then gently hang the whole thing out of the way.
IMG_1498.jpg
Under the flipper there's a hard paper cover as insulation between the sockets and the flipper baseplate just as a precaution. It's stapled in, and rather than deal with trying to pry all those tiny, tight bastards out I just popped them through the paper so I could get it off. The 2 existing sockets are underneath.
IMG_1499.jpg
I put the new ones in from the supplied harness in with the existing holes, and just fudged in the middle one at the same angle with a new 3/8" screw like the others. There's a bit more wire mayhem with 3 bulbs in there, but it's manageable. Once I had them secure, I just put the paper thing back with duct tape -- it all gets covered up anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it.
IMG_1500.jpg
Then carefully put the flipper base back in being careful not to pinch the wires, which need to run over to the other side.
IMG_1501.jpg
On the left, I popped off the insulator and was able to remove/replace the lights easily without removing the flipper. The middle one ended up at a different angle than the other 2 to make the crazy socket wires more manageable. But I failed to take a picture of that arrangement. oops.
IMG_1502.jpg
Since the controller system isn't ready yet, I made a quick hack job cable to connect all three colors to the connector that normally powers one of the spot lights and plugged 'em in for now.
IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1505.jpg

Looks like you have doubled up the insert sockets for your CIU inserts? How difficult was that? Did you have to mess with diodes etc. Mine only has one socket per insert. It bugged me that they werent centered, so i made a plastic piece to center the sockets.

rick

1 month later
#675 8 years ago

Im surprised the cross up and down switches work on pro. I thougt that had to be added to the game software.?

#677 8 years ago

People have been really wanting the spinners that some have added and wired up to the pic targets to "work". I think but didnt go back to confirm HOOKED was making those spinners.

Perhaps there are some empty slots in the matrix so that when the switches on the spinners activate you could flash a GI light near by or something more creative.

Im not sure how many peeps have those spinners. It required you to modify a plastic or two so that might keep some from making the purchase.

Just an idea.

You continue to impress me, good job!

2 weeks later
#741 8 years ago

If im not on the list already please add me. Must have.

1 month later
#822 8 years ago

Bandit you are doing a great job of supporting everyone. Even while you are out of town. Cudos!

Anyone on the fence for this should just buy it. It is awesome!

I was thinking the other day and the only time i ever noticed a issue with the MI getting confused was because all the GI was off for a few seconds.

Realizing that there are probably always gonna be corner cases where some crazy combo of events happen, could the "default" behavior be "all 3 strands on" vs all 3 strands off? (Or with the lastest code, i guess that would just be white-on, blue/red-off.). That way i dont think it would be obvious that the MI board missed a cue here or there.

1 month later
#879 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I was previously concerned with tapping into the switch matrix physically on the machine's wires, so held back a bit from recommending it. If I do my own cross mech I will run switch wires back to my board and get into the matrix there. Install becomes a snap and fully reversible again, and doesn't touch the factory harness. Kits that order the cross mech will get the cables already piggybacked ready to just plug and play.
image_(resized).jpeg

SOLD!! Thats the part i was most worried about

1 month later
#892 8 years ago

Upgraded my met GI light show code to 1.03 epthegeek version. I like it so far. Makes the red and blue effects for different events stand out more.

Only downside is that when in all white only mode the GI is dimmer. I may experiment with adding some different types of leds in the white positions near the player just to brighten it up some.

Awesome job on this mod!

#894 8 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of some 2 headed flex leds that would go into the existing sockets.

But i see where you are going with adding additional wiring.

Ill keep you posted if i come up with anything that i think others might want to replicate.

Thanks again for the awesome work!

1 week later
#900 8 years ago

Love this!

2 weeks later
#909 8 years ago

An someone post a link please.

1 month later
#929 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

100%. I have a few projects running now so each of them is a little slower, but it means more cool stuff in the end. I just received my first test batch of custom, optical grade acrylic light pipes so I can resume the single RGB bulb per socket GI setup. Four-villain Spidey Lightshow coming up.

image_(resized).jpeg

Do new spidey and old spidey have to have separate sets of code for your TLS board?

#939 7 years ago

Cant wait. I just pulled the trigger on a SMVE!

#965 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The only thing offputting is the white inlane lights. Looks great. As always, I appreciate the "normally white when nothing is going on".

This looks awesome!!! Im getting my SMVE today between 10 and 2. I agree wit epthegeek, seems like the inlane ball guide lights should do what the slings are doing. Is that possible? The backstop lights staying factory/white dont really bother me.

You continue to amaze me. Great work!

1 month later
#1097 7 years ago

Bandit,

Updated my code on Met pro to 1.7. When test playing i noticed my white strand of leds are all out. Honestly i dont think it has anything to do with the code update. And i wish i would have noticed if they were off before i updated the code.

I took some pics with the game in attract mode. Nothing looks fried or loose. The white wires are snug in the connector.

I havent done any debugging other than taking some pics and confirming that all the white leds are out. Rebooted machine a couple times.

I figured id start by checking with a dmm to see if power was coming out of the white circuit. What voltage is normal?

Im running 2.02 version of the TLS code that i updated on 5/22/2016.

20160630_200319_(resized).jpg20160630_200319_(resized).jpg

20160630_200326_(resized).jpg20160630_200326_(resized).jpg

20160630_200333_(resized).jpg20160630_200333_(resized).jpg

#1098 7 years ago

Nevermind.

I left the game off for an hour or so. Then came back to start investigating. I double checked the connections on the board and then booted up and all was working fine.

Sorry for the false alarm

#1100 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Damn, your install is neat! Mine looks like a spaghetti factory. Glad it's working!

Thanks! I was super anal. I taped and zip tied everything up. Probably took a few hours and much longer than normal. Hehe.

Plus you are dropping science and doing development!

3 weeks later
#1112 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks! I'm pretty OCD about that sort of thing. The old sockets have all been insulated with electrical tape and zip tied safely out of the way.

I did the black electric tape and zip tie for my old sockets too. I even wrapped the sharp metal tabs on the sockets so they dont nick the other wires in harness.

Only thing that might be helpful if i had to do it again would be to fiind a way to label the old sockets so you know where they go in the unlikely event that you need to remove the TLS mod.

#1114 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Shit. Now you tell me ...
In reality, I don't think it matters at all. I'm pretty sure all of the sockets that are close enough to be confused are on the same GI string anyway.

Good point. I was thinking like they were insert lights.

The wire memory would probably make it obviuos where they should go. But say a couple years from now that probably wont be true.

#1141 7 years ago

I updated my TLS Board today to latest code and used a new windows 10 pc. Worked just fine. I did have to follow the troubleahooting page for telling windows where the driver is for the TLS board. But the instructions are spot on. No probs woth win 10.

1 month later
#1175 7 years ago

Ooo ooo any chance the xmen GI relays are the same that stern uses in transformers? If so does that mean the possibility of stopping the pulsing of the GI when optimis ramp is up??

Super annoying

2 months later
#1235 7 years ago

RGB GI death, does that kill TLS in SMVE?

#1237 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well here's the thing..the issue is the bulbs. I have the MI coded to drive the lights, I am pretty certain of the source for inexpensive playfield wiring. But the damned bulbs are just too expensive. What could conceivably happen is that someone else could work out the physical lights and then I simply sell the coded board to drive them. Someone could even take my light board design and see if they can make them cheaper/easier than I seem to be able, and same again..I am left to supply the driver board. That could work. I just don't have the resources to continue the bulb development.

Thanks for the explanation. That is what i thought you were saying. I just wanted to clarify. I totally understand. Thanks again!

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The add-on will talk to the CPU board and call the sound when the installed spinner is hit. I will not be supplying spinners as Hooked has that covered. This way, you get the sound but not the errant scoring associated with hitting the tied-to pick target.

Hooked spinners have alligator clips. To use your board would we wire the spinners to the board or into the games switch matrix? Does the new board connect to TLS?

#1263 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I will be supplying the required wiring. I have a set of Hooked's spinners, so I will make sure I include what is needed.
The new board plugs into an existing header on the MI.

Thank you brother. As always im humbled by your skillz.

2 months later
#1298 7 years ago

Cant wait! Sounds silly, but the spinners not even connected make the game more fun. Feels so good when you get a zinger flying up the left or right side and that spinner goes crazy.

Lookin forward to more details on how to wire up the spinners.

As always great job!

#1302 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ok I need to understand this......does this require your total light show MOD kit to work?? Or can it be used by itself as a stand alone product (with the spinners obviously). Also what exactly is an IDC pusher?

Idc pusher is a plastic tool to push wires into an idc connector.

Not to speak for bandit, but yes it requires the total light show board to be installed.

#1310 7 years ago

Im a bit confused. Are we adding idc connectors to the

machines switch matrix
Or
The cables between the matrix interceptor and the machines sam board

Sorry for the ignorant question.

#1316 7 years ago

Ordered. Cant wait!

#1322 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Funny, "super pak", that's how I've been picturing the final incarnation. Maybe you've just coined the name for it. It's just the mechanical engineering of the main bracket for the cross mech that I'm working on. It's frustrating me a lot as it seems such a simple task, but managing the cost of it is the highest priority so I have to design out as much metal working as possible. I can't put a date on it, but it's at least a couple months away still, knowing what I'm going to have to go through even after I'm happy with the design.

does the cross addition to TLS connect in the same/similar way that the spinners do (idc connectors on the TLS cables between the TLS and the game boards?)

Marco sells the cross mech, but its really expensive
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-9810-00

So i guess you are trying to keep yours under that price?

#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It connects the same way. There are a few people already driving the installed OEM part, but generally it is prohibitively expensive. I am trying to come in around half the price max. Shooting for even lower.

Sounds great! Im in!

2 weeks later
#1333 7 years ago

Received my package from ya today. Looking forward to installing it this weekend

1 week later
#1352 7 years ago

Bandit do you think there would be any issue if i put the connector for the spinners close to the TLS board instead of up near the sam boards?

I was thinking for wiring neatness it would be better to have the spinners connect near the TLS board.

#1356 7 years ago

The yellow wires for the spinners, does it matter which spinner they go to? I did the back box wiring first then the playfield and i didnt keep good track of which wire was which.

#1358 7 years ago

Got my TLS code updated to 2.10 and my spinners all wired up. Both spinners working and making sound!

Thank you so much Bandit!

Only issue i had was a config problem with my PC (windows 10). The updater program was giving an error saying it couldnt find jvm.dll. apparently between last July when i last patched my TLS and today something changed with my PATH and the jvm.dll wasnt visible on the path.
Added JAVA_HOME env var and added that to my path and then things worked just fine.

Windows env var settings and the command prompt in general are horrible compared to the linux stuff I use at work.

#1359 7 years ago

In order to get my flourecent tube back in place with the serial cable in place i had to remove one of the screw fasteners for the connector.

Jusy thought id post my solution to this minor problem.

20170225_132236 (resized).jpg20170225_132236 (resized).jpg

20170225_132252 (resized).jpg20170225_132252 (resized).jpg

#1362 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yeah I've noticed the fluoro can sometimes be in the way, but also noticed the tube mounting point is quite variable and hard to plan for. I did deliberately try to get the smallest plug I could on the D9 cables I supply to minimize this conflict.

This and the TLS are top notch must haves for met pro!

#1364 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Have you tried both versions of the sound code?

Just played a few games with 2.10. But i had a bunch of sucky low scoring games. So i dont think i got to modes where the sound should change. A grave marker mb and sparky mb and thats about it.

It was a blast to rip shots up the orbits and get that spinner sound playing! Perhaps i was focusing on doing that and not really what i should be shooting for for high scores.

I have stock audio on my met. No sub and no upgrades. I play with the volume around 25 to 30 on the machine usually. Admittedly like you said the bass drum sound was faint. But i picked it up even during louder songs pretty well after i played a bit.

My pc battery died literally moments after i uploaded the code. After about 45 mins of fiddling with the jvm.dll issue i mentioned above. (Again an issue with my PC and not the TLS).

Ill swap in to 2.11 and let ya know feed back on that soon.

#1365 7 years ago

Installed 2.11 today. I think ill stick with 2.11.
Both default sounds work good. 2.11 is audible a bit more than 2.10 as you described. Both are subtle and with the shaker and other callouts and music they can get a little lost in the mix. But in reality you dont really want your spinner sound to over power the rest of the game.
My favorite is the fuel engine rev sound when the spinner goes fast like when you rip a ball up the orbits. I havent replicated this with the glass on, but that is a nice addition!

#1387 7 years ago

Dont forget drilling out the metal lane guide to allow the 3rd hole. I think pros only have 2 holes.

I guess you could just do red and blue or whatever.

But if you go to that extreme then you might go all the way...

#1398 7 years ago

Bandit thank YOU for making my Met even more awesomer than it was from factory!

#1419 7 years ago

Cant wait! I got my pinnovators board and sub setup and the spinner sound and the music and regukar callouts really pop with 2.11. This will allow easier testing for which mode is best.

Thanks again for continually making this mod even better.

2 weeks later
#1426 7 years ago

So am i wrong to start getting my hopes up for SMVE support revival?

#1441 7 years ago

Awesome!

1 week later
#1473 7 years ago

Hey bandit enjoyed the aerosmith ramp video. Got me thinking... does that mean you have a tls board that works with spike bus? Or did you work some other magic?

#1475 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It was just hooked up to an insert. AND I blew a freaking fet on a node board fucking around with it.
Spike TLS will be later this year.

So sorry

3 months later
#1564 6 years ago

Hmmm. Would be a pita to get to the USB port and buttons on the bottom board. Dongle would help with USB, but buttons might require a poky stick or something. Or could the top board load code into the bottom board too?

6 months later
#1778 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm glad you brought this up. I was going to ask opinions on what people thought was the best place to mount the knockers in the newer games with metal backboxes.

About chest height.

Ba dum dum. Hehe

1 month later
#1802 6 years ago

I was thinking something like the pin stadium lighting kit (assuming it can be made to change colors on demand) might be cool to drive from the total light show board. Maybe that would revive the work you had put into SM/SMVE. If I remember correctly that stalled out cause the expense of programmable leds you had developed. Maybe the code you had for recognizing the modes could be used to drive pin stadium to make the blue for venom, yellow for sandman etc.

Just a thought, may still be too expensive? Dunno.

2 weeks later
#1829 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here's a pretty significant update on hardware. I am now using my sound caller board as a serial comms device to talk to an Arduino Mega. This means I now have unlimited expansion capability and can drive many more outputs. With one mega I can have 13 more PWM outputs which is enough for four more channels of RGB. The first use of this will be to drive four channels of RGB GI in IM. The full IM setup will have the following control..
Main board..
1 RGB channel (using 3 outputs) for ramp optics,
1 x left drop bank,
1 x right drop bank,
1 x GI interceptor (to drive remaining factory GI)
Expansion board..
4 x RGB channels (using 12 outputs) for GI.
And there are still two spare outputs left on the main board.
The best thing about this is how cheap it is. I can get a Mega clone for about $10. This won't add significantly to the price of kits.

Impressive.... Most impressive

1 week later
#1841 6 years ago

Played some Met tonight. Stumbled on a scenario that sent my TLS into "stuck total dark" mode for a minute or two. Dont think ive ever had this scenario before so here it goes.

Started lady justice
Started fuel
Started snake MB.

Im not sure when in this timeline lady justice mode timed out. It may have stopped before snake MB. Its hard to tell cause the lady justice music and DMD animations are overridden by the snake MB. But things were dark until i fell back into single ball play.

Seemed a hit to sparky may have been the event that let TLS get back on its feet. Game continued as normal.

To be clear im not complaining. I love the TLS and ive had hundreds of games on Met with no issue. Im just providing info in case it helps you in your awesome R&D efforts.

Cheers!

#1859 6 years ago

Bravo!!! Would these mount on like 8 inch standoffs horizontally under playfield to allow exisitng wiring and mechs to exist under it.

Or are u thinking vertically hanging off back of the playfield where it woukd hang down a bit and be in a consistant place from game to game?

How does this connnect with TLS main board?

TAKE MY MONEY!

#1862 6 years ago

heres some ideas playing on roman numerals and the 30 connections

RGBXXX
XXXRGB
or just XXX

hehe

Or geek it up some and go hexadecimal for 30 (1E)

RGBLED1E

I dunno, nothing awesome, just some suggestions.

1 year later
#2138 4 years ago

Status bump

2 months later
#2151 4 years ago

Merry Christmas all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rickwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo?tu=rickwh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.