(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Store re-open.

By TimeBandit

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,137 posts
  • 219 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by ktm450
  • Topic is favorited by 191 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 5 votes
    14%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 5 votes
    14%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 26 votes
    72%

(36 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 439 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image0 (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5024 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
E8912B13-1DAC-4978-A73F-764EBEE35317 (resized).jpeg
1ACEDFA5-DDF6-486F-AF37-92A3791AABEF (resized).jpeg
D55EB787-269B-4620-AA7C-0983EF0B84FD (resized).jpeg
FF4E277A-E8BA-40E9-BA88-28324BD4C1DF (resized).jpeg
67E0BADA-BD5B-4B33-BF0D-DB4C69FB42BA (resized).jpeg
02BEE389-FCAF-4021-B6F3-8BEF9BBD8CF7 (resized).jpeg
222819DE-74FF-4559-BD42-BEF0DB9BEE49 (resized).jpeg
C0D3CF9C-BC50-40D9-AE28-412D9ED468B2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#945 3 years ago

I still keep checking back in to see if xmen is going to be worked on. Looks like I might be waiting for a while.... But what you are doing looks awesome!

1 week later
#1014 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You guys are cool. It also means that new machines have gotten a whole lost faster to develop. X-Men will get done for sure now!

Awesome news on x-men. I am assuming you will do it for the pro since the LE already have the light strings. Also, are you planning on using the light pipes like with spider man? I think they look so rad! I'd offer you my machine for testing if I wasn't so far away...

#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, X-Men pro will get a replication of the LE colour GI, plus cool little extras of course.
The light pipe version using single RGB boards in each GI bulb position opens it up to use on any machine, not just the ones where the factory installed different coloured strings of GI. So, SM will get that, plus others.

Honestly, I think the light pipes with RGB boards would be the way to go for x-men, and just change all of the colours to emulate the LE. That would allow a much brighter white as a default state, which is the downside of dedicated coloured GI. Either way, I am excited to see how it develops!

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think this might end up being the case. I am doing TWD with the pipes as well. Metallica and AC/DC are iconic with their use of the separate strings, and I'm pretty sure the plastics take into account the lighting design on those as well. I am going to trial Met with the pipes, but I'm thinking it just won't present as well as it does with its separate bulbs.

I haven't played met or acdc enough to know about the plastics and the coloured GI, but I do know that on my x-men pro the slings look the best with white. The rest of the plastics are not as critical, but the two characters on the slings just look odd with colours under them. Obviously this would change at times, but if only one if the lights is white it will be a bit dark. When one of my lights jiggled loose there was a definite dark spot.

3 weeks later
#1071 3 years ago

I got a chance to play an x-men le at the northwest shonthisnweekend and I must say I was pretty underwhelmed by the multicoloured GI in it. Maybe there was to much ambient lighting, but it just seem to add anything to the game. I was thinking it was going to be closer to the videos of the new spiderman posted in this thread... it does make me think that the light pipes and light boards are the way to if you have the choice.

#1076 3 years ago

maybe it was just this pin then. For some reason the back half of the playfield was really dark so maybe it just wasn't working like it was supposed to.

#1081 3 years ago

just checked out a couple videos of the LE and there must have been something wrong with the one I played, because the color GI is obvious in the videos. I still feel quite strongly that the light pipes and single RGB boards would be the best way to go. I am not a fan of the read heads on the sling shots with the single color lights as in this video:

Still excited to see how this turns out! I'd lend you my x-men pro if I could!

#1084 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I replaced the red head lights in the slings with purple. Doesn't deter too much from when red light show occurs and looks worlds better by default.

That's a good point. I guess there is no reason that you have to use colours on the slings. It probably wouldn't affect the overall lightshow

2 months later
#1172 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not a bad morning's work. X-Men is going to be more interesting than I thought. I've bypassed the GI colour string relays (which they stopped using on later machines with colour GI) and have full control over the separate factory colours, without putting new bulbs in.
Apologies for crappier than usual video. Did this one straight from my phone.
» YouTube video

Looks awesome! Any ideas on what this will mean for those of us with pros? I would still be interested even with just the ramp lights!

2 months later
#1226 2 years ago

This is my next mod for my x-men pro. Its just hard to be patient!

2 months later
#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

For those waiting on Tron, here is a run through of the complete code up to and including SOS. I forgot to demo the outline fades and extra ball. They are in the code though. OL fades are similar to Met, with orange on the left and blue if you drain on the right. Extra ball just flashes the left ramp orange in sync with the extra ball insert. I'm just waiting on final hardware components to come in and I'll do some install video.
» YouTube video

Looks awesome! Hopefully you can finish it off soon, since that means you will be that much closer to starting xmen!

1 month later
#1349 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not off topic at all! That's what I'm here for.
I have developed a distribution system that allows me to bring wiring more neatly to the bottom of the playfield, then distribute out to two channels from there. This will be generic across machines that get optic ramps done for them. It allows me to move more easily from machine to machine and cuts dev time. I needed to get this done first and parts have just arrived. I am building some up alongside my sound callers.
I am simply left with the task of machining the mounting blocks to get the optic fibers attached to the LEDs. I have these worked out but have not finalised my production approach. It's generally a case of all the bits are there, just staring at me waiting for me to pull them all together. This causes me no end of anxiety and procrastination. But I'm getting there.

If xmen turns out anything like the preview I will be stoked! If you need someone to do some test fitting on a pro let me know!

1 month later
#1428 2 years ago

I'm just sitting here (semi) patiently waiting for the x-men pro ramp kit. Awesome news that you're one step closer!

1 month later
#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, indeed. I have an LE here that I did the initial work on, and I am a bit hung up on whether to do just the Pro or both. The moving ramp is a bit of a ballache. It works, but I can see that over time, there is going to be an issue with moving the fibre over an over. I will need to get a pro onsite to get the code done properly.

How about the pro to start just to keep things simple. (I'm just thinking of keeping things simple for you and totally not thinking of getting the kits sooner for my x-men pro... )

1 month later
#1528 2 years ago

Exciting news! Fingers crossed that x-men is next!

1 month later
#1585 2 years ago

Not sure why, but none of the videos want to play on my phone... The thumbnails looks cool though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Village, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redundor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside