(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#331 8 years ago

I'm so happy I stumbled on this thread. Now that I'm aware of your kit, I've decided I'm going to purchase a MET LED Pro. The main thing I love about the premium is the lightshow, and if this board can reproduce that on a Pro, then count me in!

Any idea when this might be available for purchase? Or is there a pre-order list already?

1 week later
#351 8 years ago

Great news! Can't wait to place my order

#359 8 years ago

Any idea how many units you'll be producing on your first run? I just don't want to miss out. Keep up the great work!

#361 8 years ago

That's great to hear, thanks a lot!

1 week later
#409 8 years ago

That gameplay video was incredible. I have to take a second to pick my jaw up off the floor. Seriously man, you've done outstanding work here! Cannot wait to send payment. Just say the word

Now I have to watch that vid again

#419 8 years ago

Does the new 1.64 code update effect your lightshow mod in anyway? Looks like they made some changes to the Search & Destroy mode. Just curious.

Also giving you a bump

#421 8 years ago

Thanks for the explanation I'd be willing to bet this was the final MET code update.

1 week later
#444 8 years ago

I had a question....do we have to modify the ball guides on the Pro to match the ones installed on the Premium/LE? Looks like there's an extra hole in the guide for the additional GI lighting.

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#450 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What are you taking your photos with? I like the colour balance and find it hard to get images that clear ( taking shots of LEDs I mean specifically). I'm no photographer so rarely get off automatic.

No idea. I pulled those pics from the Pinball News review of Metallica.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/metallica/index5a.html

Just curious how you had them installed on your recent gameplay video. I assumed you had the bulbs in the same places as the Premium.

3 weeks later
#498 8 years ago

Sounds awesome. I guess I'd have to see what the Heighway single bulb light pipes look like to better understand.

Can't wait for that MET kit tho

#505 8 years ago

I think I just had a seizure. Not sure if it was caused by that lightshow or from it's utter awesomeness!! Very cool, so much potential

2 months later
7 months later
#1080 7 years ago

I know you are a busy man Timebandit, but are you still working on producing the "Stage Lighting" mod for Metallica? That looked pretty cool in the test video, lots of potential with the right coding

I'd buy the Rising Cross mod as soon as it's available too

5 months later
#1238 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I will be concentrating on finishing development of the extra add-ons for Met

Are you referring to the Rising Cross mech kit? It's been a while so I've forgotten what you've been working on

#1251 7 years ago

What's the sound caller mod? That's not ringing a bell

#1253 7 years ago

I still can't tell what it is, but I'm sure I'll want it

So does that mean you're making a spinner kit for the pro that replicates the drum sounds on the premium? I thought spinner kits on the pro had to be tied into the pic standups, making pic hits much easier. Plus the Pro code doesn't support spinner scoring? That's why I never bothered to install spinners on my pro.

I apologize for my confusion

#1259 7 years ago

Anyone have a link where to buy the spinners?

#1261 7 years ago

Just purchased the spinner kit Wouldn't have bought without Timebandit's new mod. I'll keep an eye out when it's available

#1266 7 years ago

No worries. After the work you did on total lightshow, I have total faith in your abilities

The thought of having spinners & sound without "cheating" on the pick hits is a game changer IMO. Hopefully you can get it to work

1 month later
#1279 7 years ago

Glad to see you're working hard on this mod! Love the options for different sounds based on modes. Spinner kit in hand, just waiting for this mod to be released to install

Are you still working the rising cross mod, or is that still on the backburner?

3 weeks later
#1303 7 years ago

Great news! I've been holding off my Crystal Tint/Diffuser Apron order until the Spinner Kit was ready to go Sounds like it won't be long now.

3 weeks later
#1330 7 years ago

Mike, just want to be sure the right way to do this install. Did you say do the V2.10 firmware update first, then install the spinner hardware, then connect everything. I assume when the system restarts it will recognize the sound caller board & be good to go?

And how is the board programmed now? Different spinner sounds for each multiball mode, or is it the snare drum sound for everything?

Hoping to dive into it this weekend.

#1331 7 years ago

I've also read different options that people have used to cut their plastics for the spinner install. Either by exacto knife, a dremmel cutting or grinding tool, or even a scroll saw. Just curious what you used to do yours. I was leaning on taping off area & using an exacto knife to get a precise cut, but that would require a lot of cuts I think. I've cut plastics with the dremmel before & it ended up melting the plastic, which I want to avoid.

#1335 7 years ago

Do you remember the dremmel tip you used? I guess slower the speed the better. Thanks again

2 weeks later
#1409 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hey Rick, you should post a video of your Met during the light show

I plan on doing a video of my PR MET Pro with Total Lightshow, also with the spinner kit & extension lighting run underneath my crystal apron. But I'm waiting on Comet pinball to get more Matrix blubs back in stock. I'm just not getting enough light under the apron with the 4 bulbs, need the strips. Then it will be done....until the rising cross

3 weeks later
#1444 7 years ago

Haha that's just a test right? You're not making a Metallica ramp kit controlled by Total Lightshow are you?

#1469 7 years ago

Wow Mike! And here I thought I was done modding my MET. Haha. Sign me up FOR SURE!

I was also wondering how this would work with the creeping death mod, might be overkill? Only one way to find out!

1 week later
#1477 7 years ago

So any update on the Fibre Optic Kit availability yet? I keep checking your website with fingers crossed, but I'm sure you're busy.

#1479 7 years ago

Not surprised you're waiting for the higher quality rubber, as all your mods are so well made. Thanks for the update, I'll check back in a week or so. I think this kit is going to look really unique on a MET, and look much cooler in person

1 month later
#1511 6 years ago

Where do the post rubbers go again? Funny how something as simple as some rubbers are holding you up. Still looking forward to hearing these are available on the website

4 weeks later
#1535 6 years ago

Great news! Looking forward to seeing the Metallica kits in the store

2 weeks later
#1549 6 years ago

What's up with those Metallica/Tron kits? It's been like 3 weeks since the rubbers came in, but I keep checking the store & don't see them available for purchase yet.

Just curious for an update

2 weeks later
#1562 6 years ago

Great news! So I suppose you'll be making a separate listing on your website for a Metallica ramp lighting kit (for those of us who already own the GI Theater, etc)?

#1566 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I don't really see a massive market for a dual-board kit..unless of course I come up with some amazing combination of ramps and GI or something that is just too good to pass up. I am thinking Iron Man.

Iron Man is such a kickass game, I can only imagine how much you could take it to another level with your kits

2 weeks later
#1580 6 years ago

I'm curious what colors you're thinking for the GI strings. One string for each character? Like Green War Machine, Purple Iron Monger & Blue whiplash? Then you could color match the flasher bulbs for War Machine & Whiplash to match your GI strings. Perhaps Red for the ramp lighting on Bogey mode, and have ramps match the characters during their multiballs? Something crazy for DOD & Jericho, changing colors for switch hits?

Perhaps it depends on how many GI bulbs you have to dropout for your strings. Maybe one string has to be white. Red & blue would match well with the playfield, or red & yellow. You're the expert, I'm sure you have lots of ideas what you can create now. Looking forward to your progress.

1 week later
#1599 6 years ago

Whoops I should have posted my comment here instead. Just outstanding Mike

The highlights for me are the Fast-Pulsing Blue for War Machine MB & awesome SuperJackpot effect, multicolor ramp effect for Monger hits, the white ramp pulsing on DOD hurryup & Jericho overall. You have taken IM to another level!

Looks like you're still working on the Monger Jackpot effect. Looking forward to seeing it, and the Whiplash Jackpot too.

#1602 6 years ago

I'm still amazed you were able to code it so fast. Didn't you just get it back in your collection a couple weeks ago? Well done.

How many strings & sockets did you end up using? Less than Metallica?

#1604 6 years ago

Great idea with the spotlight control. I imagine it might get pretty hard to track the ball with some of the lighting effects, also due to the fact the game is so damn fast. I like the fade in/out your did on the MET spotlights during attract mode too.

I'd offer suggestions, but it looks like you've thought of everything. Looking forward to the release!

#1605 6 years ago

You know I was installing service rails on my IM today & I was thinking how much I'd like to add a crystal tint Red apron. Then I was wondering...

Have you given any thought creating an additional add-on item (like the MET inlane harness), where you create additional string of bulb sockets to go under your apron. I did this on my MET, but instead of running the add-on harness to the inlanes, I ran the sockets under my blue apron. I just mounted them where I could. I was going to swap the bulbs with 4 inch matrix led strips, but never got around to it.

It turned out pretty nice, but I think it could be much better if it was designed by you & the lighting was coordinated properly. Perhaps linking the spotlight effects with the apron lighting? That might look pretty sweet.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for you to create a wire & socket package for IM. When you have one of your aprons installed, it just screams for lighting underneath. Just a thought

IMG_1159 (resized).JPGIMG_1159 (resized).JPG
IMG_1161 (resized).JPGIMG_1161 (resized).JPG
IMG_1160 (resized).JPGIMG_1160 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1619 6 years ago

Another great coding job on the AC/DC.

Just curious if you are putting together IM Theatre/Ramp kits right now. I just don't want to miss out on one when they are available. I'll happily be a tester for you

#1634 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I could do two ramp channels with no GI strings. Maybe that's an option. Not everyone wants to mess around with GI socket replacement, and might just want to do a Tron on their IM.

I respectably disagree with this idea. I love the additional lighting effects you get over the entire playfield from the red & blue GI strings. They add so much more to the overall presentation, and adding those strings is NOT a difficult install. When the ramp lighting is thrown on top of the GI effects, it just looks incredible.

I'd be pretty disappointed if the kit was only designed for ramp lighting on IM.

3 weeks later
#1657 6 years ago

Oh man, after this announcement, there's going to be a few unhappy Germans around here (a.k.a. Sour Krauts)

2 weeks later
#1696 6 years ago

This might be your best idea yet. Looks great!

1 week later
#1703 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have just finished scoping out an IO expander that will hopefully be able to drive proper RGB full GI replacement kits in the vein of TNA. So I guess next year will be busy too, lol.

You're just full of new ideas & projects these days! That RGB GI sounds totally awesome, but how about finishing those prior projects & getting them back in stock?

I'm just patiently waiting to order my IM TotalLighshow/Ramps/Apron install. Then probably the drops. Feel like I'm getting a 3 month long lapdance here.....have fun looking, but you can't touch! haha

A kit/parts update would be sweet tho

1 month later
#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

And Tron! Really looking forward to this.

And finally getting IM kits out there! Feels like this is taking unusually long to restock. Any update?

#1740 6 years ago

Thanks for the update I’m sure whatever you dream up for IM will be worth the wait. Sounds awesome

1 week later
#1744 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Metallica, AC/DC, Tron kits back in stock.

This is great to see

So based on your previous update, I'm assuming that there will be a complete IM kit released on your website at some point, but you still have to develop an expansion module for more outputs (for dual drop support) & develop your IM code some more.

So it sounds like IM kit availability is still a few months away? Just trying to get an idea so I don't miss it With all the add-ons being offered, it's starting to get a little confusing. haha

1 month later
#1779 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey, it's a lazy Monday morning here. What else is an unemployed bum like me going to do?

How about finishing those Ironman GI theater/El-Ramp kits?

Patiently waiting...

1 month later
#1800 6 years ago

Damn I got too excited. No IronMan lightshow kits yet???

#1804 6 years ago

IMO driving "pinstadium" type lighting to wash the playfield with changing red/blue/yellow overall lighting sounds terrible. There are quite a few people out there who don't even like that type of lighting. Probably not worth it.

I think finding a way to use the P-Roc RGB GI bulbs is the way to go. After seeing them firsthand on TNA, they are really impressive & would suit your needs perfectly.

4 weeks later
#1858 6 years ago

WOW is right! I can only imagine what you're going to come up with for Iron Man with these boards. This is definitely worth the wait

#1865 5 years ago

You can literally do anything with that. It’s extremley impressive.

Since you’ll be free to come up with any lighting effects you can think of, actually coding IM might be the hardest part. Do you have any ideas how you’re going to code the bulbs for each mode, in conjunction with the ramp lighting? For example, GI bulb colors running in series up the playfield like runway landing lights during Bogey mode? Sparkle effects with monger hits? There’s so much potential here. Seems like a daunting (but fun) task to complete. Hope you don’t get sidetracked

1 week later
#1877 5 years ago

Man I’m getting really excited now! I’ll make sure I have plenty of zip ties on hand

#1884 5 years ago

Pretty seamless transition from statics to patterns. Looks great so far. I'm really curious what effects you're planning on coding for the various modes, and how the RGB GI ties in with the ramp lighting. Will be something special

3 weeks later
#1901 5 years ago

You continue to impress with your work on IM After seeing the progress so far, the changes you've made have been worth the wait! So excited to get started on this project

So I may have the term wrong, but from the video it looks like your new boards give you LED OCD fading control of the inserts, like Herg's board?

#1907 5 years ago

Your creativity is going to be put to the test now Really looking forward to seeing how you improve mode lighting effects from your previous videos.

#1909 5 years ago

So you could really do anything you want now, like a quick wave of lights up the entire playfield after a bogey ramp shot, or a wave of green lights in circles pulsing outwards after a whiplash target hit. Awesome stuff.

Damn you have your work cut out for you, but you're really going to turn some heads with your effort!

Edit: Wait that would require clear plastics & RGBs in the inserts. My bad.

1 week later
#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I didn’t know that the wood of the playfield would be so soft. No real drilling required and just only a mark to get the screw going. I think you might add that to the instruction since I drilled right thru the playfield on the first try! This was next to a bulb right in the back so thankfully you won’t find that hole but I got a little heart attack for a second.

That would give anyone heart palpitations! Just so I don't drill too deep, I take the bit and figure out how deep I want to drill by measuring up against the edge of the playfield. Then I mark that depth on the drill bit with painters tape. When drilling just don't go past the tape. Works for me

Congrats on the install. That's the single greatest mod you can do to a MET pro. You won't be disappointed!

#1933 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

32 controlled RGB GI bulbs, controlled inserts, optic fiber ramps, drop targets.

Individually each one of those features is outstanding. The fact you are doing all four at once with this kit release is mind blowing. You are going to turn so many heads with this IM release. Glad you are taking your time to playtest & make it the best it can be.

When I finally do manage to get this IM kit installed, I'm really looking forward to taking it to shows to let other pinheads enjoy my "IMVEmium". Props to Timebandit of course for making it all possible

4 weeks later
#1955 5 years ago

Great news Always nice to see IM progress!

#1963 5 years ago

It's awesome to see how all of this is coming together. That software has to be tremendously helpful. I'd be very interested to see what patterns you've come up with for IM so far (attract lighting vs mode specific effects). The el-wire ramps will really take it to another level. This IM project is really going to turn some heads. Still patiently waiting

#1974 5 years ago

Boy does that look impressive! Keep grinding away bud!

2 weeks later
#1984 5 years ago

Keep aiming high for this project. Do what you need to do to make everything rock solid & jaw droppingly awesome No complaints about delays here.

2 weeks later
#1990 5 years ago

Not sure what I'm looking at, but I like it! That Ironman in the back looks good too

1 week later
#2008 5 years ago

Am I reading that correctly? You've designed your own RGB bulbs & reworked the entire design of the IM kit? I'm guessing this is related to your work on the Alien replacement parts you're making. You're going to manufacture all these items yourself now?

Keep us posted

3 weeks later
#2010 5 years ago

Nice to hear things are moving along. Looking forward to some pics

1 month later
#2045 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here’s hoping for an IM Christmas.

Literally the best thing I've heard on pinside in over 2 years

That new system looks like a huge design improvement. Can't wait to get my hands on this kit. When it comes to designing the lighting effects, go for broke on this one!

I'm also curious if you're planning on swapping the backboard bulbs as part of the 2nd stage kit. You could get some cool colors & effects going there during modes as well. Maybe you can tie the sling spotlights into the kit like you did with Metallica?

#2055 5 years ago

I was also wondering on IM...

Many owners have the modded WarMachine & Whiplash figures with chest LEDs & the lighted whips that tap into the GI lighting, usually to a GI bulb near the figures. Will it still be possible to have these mods once the original GI bulbs are swapped on you new kit? I'm guessing the original sockets remain & get tied away (like on the MET install), so perhaps they can still be tapped into? Just curious.

#2062 5 years ago

What a great solution. Great effects as well! Love the light zipping back & forth across the backboard (perhaps on a ramp or orbit shot). I'm sure the backboard bulb addition will add more time to your coding process, but it's infinitely worth it IMO.

The entire playfield looks very well lit at the end of that video with the white GI turned on. I just can't get over the lighting effects that are possible with this new kit. My jaw literally dropped watching this. And this video isn't even showcasing the lit ramps. Really loving how this is progressing

2 weeks later
#2085 5 years ago

Much cleaner than your first design, looks great!

2 months later
#2100 5 years ago

Good luck with your endeavors Mike & thanks for the update

3 months later
#2105 4 years ago

Well figured I’d check back in this thread. It’s been like almost 6 months since your store closed & you took a break from pinball? Is that right? Hard to believe. I’ve pretty much given up all hope of that Ironman kit ever getting completed. Almost 2 years now. What a shame, it had so much potential. An update would be nice, but sounds like you’ve moved onto other things.

1 week later
#2116 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It is my life’s mission to unveil a full RGB, controlled-insert Iron Man.

I'm so happy to hear this Patiently waiting to purchase whenever it's ready

2 months later
#2135 4 years ago

Timebandit does some amazing work. That Tron kit looks outstanding! Still holding my breath for the Ironman kit to be completed. Some of us have not forgotten

1 month later
#2141 4 years ago

Thanks for the Iron Man update

4 months later
#2155 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I’m currently trying to put together another batch of ten Tron TLS kits. They may be the last I ever make.
My website’s SSL certificate has expired and I couldn’t frankly be bothered paying it again, so the website may be on its last legs.
When I get the kits together I’ll just sell them here. I have a bunch of enquiries already but there’s room for some more interest.

Mike, that’s a real bummer to hear. I’m sure you have your reasons, but many of us out here wondering what happened. Too busy with work? Not enough free time? Lost your passion for pinball? You created some excellent kits & boards over the years. If you’re closing up shop, you will be missed for sure. That Ironman project could have been wonderful.

1 week later
#2165 4 years ago

That's awesome news Mike. Hope you're able to get things in order this year & get back to enjoying pinball. If you ever finish the Ironman kit, you know I'm there to support you.

Cheers!

1 year later
#2288 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey Dawg.. long time
It is a dream of mine to finish that project.. it's way bigger than I ever thought at the beginning. Maybe 2023?

Hey I've waited 4 years so far for the Ironman project.... what's another 2 years Nice to see you diving back into things again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo?tu=hoakypoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.