(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnsbit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1643 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm just going to do a bit of a lab report here, for no other reason than I am really proud of this little snippet, and it's just sort of interesting. To me, anyway, and perhaps a few other nerds.
I run with the view that my Matrix Interceptor can detect any mode or state of gameplay from reading the states of lamps and switches. And that there are very few instances where information about those modes or states isn't conveyed to the player in some way, and are therefore undetectable by the Interceptor. Well, one had me stumped. I had all but given up on finding a trigger for Zuse active on Tron.
The only clear signal for Zuse being active is for the FIRST time it's active. The centre Zuse insert starts flashing. Yay, simple. But after that, the centre insert is ALWAYS flashing, unless it is lit solid if Zuse has been completed. Whenever the mode is activated again, there is no new behaviour from the centre insert. So that insert is now useless.
There are also no other inserts that give it away, as there are no special shots to hit. The ZUSE inserts themselves all flash together the same way during normal gameplay as during the mode. There is absolutely no giveaway. Execept... for the tiniest tell, which only came to me after hours of staring at the playfield.
During normal play, the Zuse inserts are all flashing away, in total sync with all the other flashing inserts, such as the light cycles and Quorra. But, when the mode is activated, the Zuse inserts keep flashing as a group at the same rate, but the activation of the mode causes the whole group to re-start flashing from the moment the mode starts, which is unlikely to be exactly on an "on" event of all the other lamps, and so the Zuse inserts as a group are now out of sync with the rest of the playfield.
It's not always the same amount of "out of sync" each time, because the group just becomes independent of the rest of the playfield. But the frequency of the flashing is still the same, so they stay at the same phase shift for the duration of the mode. So, all I had to do was build a "sync engine" that determines when Quorra and Zuse_U, for example are in and out of sync, plus a few other rules for robustness, and I have a trigger for Zuse active.
In this test video I have set the red status LED on my board to be on when these two inserts are in sync, and the green status LED for when they are out of sync. You can see that it is red the whole time during normal play, except for brief moments that Zuse_U flashes fast because it has been directly hit, and then goes all crazy flipping between red and green during Zuse. I ran it over two instances of Zuse active so you can see that it is slightly different on each case, but the overall disruption is clear, which means the trigger will work.
» YouTube video

For some reason, this seems like it would be very useful to me... Hmmm...

4 weeks later
#1685 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've revisited the idea of a test mode again. I think it's most useful for the ramp kits, as you may need to check that you have your LED pods plugged in the right way, and check that each of the RGB components is working properly. I'm using playfield switches to trigger it rather than the DIPs on the board. If you're messing with your ramps you have the glass off anyway.
Tron code V1.3 is now posted at the website with new test mode. http://redshiftled.com.au/downloads.php
To enter test mode, take glass off machine and leave in attract mode. Hold left outlane switch down for four seconds. Ramp lights and GI will turn off, indicating test mode is active. While in test mode, press and hold TRON_R, TRON_O or TRON_N standup targets to activate red, green or blue ramp test respectively. To exit test mode, hold down right outlane switch for two seconds and ramps will return to attract mode. Alternatively, start a game to exit test mode.
» YouTube video

Very cool and creative!

5 months later
#1830 6 years ago

You should try to integrate the servo control on the arduino mega. I can send you my ardunio code that I used to control them if you want it (super simple code). Maybe you can make a more elegant solution for the light cycle wheelie mods than I have.

You could also use a servo to add control for a Recognizer that moves back and forth in a Pro.

I've tested with these two types:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6C66ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TOLCPW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#1832 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

rabbit holes of non-productive output

Man, that should be my signature.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnsbit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo?tu=flynnsbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.