(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,339 posts
  • 257 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Jecco74
  • Topic is favorited by 209 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    21%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 7 votes
    15%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 31 votes
    65%

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Koos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1835 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

the LEDOCD board - check

So is the LEDOCD advised to use in conjunction with Total Lightshow? I own a Met Pro LED version and I assumed that the LEDOCD board was only advised to be used in older game wich don't support LED's natively. This board emulates a glowing flashing of the LED's like incandescent bulbs right?

And based on your pictures I assume it's no problem to use these two products together?

#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just so you know I’m not sitting on my butt doing nothing, here is what eight channels of RGB control for GI looks like.

This is amazing! Any chance Metallica will get an update as well?

1 week later
#1869 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just testing how complicated I can get things.

AMAZING!!

1 week later
#1881 3 years ago
Quoted from roar:

There were previous posts that said there was a 'pinside' discount, is that still available? Or is the pricing on the site current?

Wondering this as well! I want a Met Pro mium as well!

3 weeks later
#1898 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sneak peak! Total Lighthshow now does inserts.
While doing the game code for Iron Man I wasn't happy with the way the inserts were interacting with the controlled GI. Well I think I've fixed that. I can now selectively intercept and control the inserts as well. I now control every light on the playfield, so effects can be more fully choreographed.
The game will still control the inserts for information purposes, but playfield sweeps etc are going to be done by me. And a whole heap of new patterns are going in there.
This has of course held up Iron Man a bit, but I think whenever Iron Man gets held up it's for something that will be worth the wait.
» YouTube video

Soooo nice!!

Any chance you will work on IMDN some day? I’d like to see the premium Lightshow from that game on a Pro as well!

1 week later
#1923 3 years ago

Received my Total Lightshow for Metallica today and directly started implementing!

I also tried to do my best on keeping all the wires neatly organized. My OCD was too strong to resist.

I do break a sweat every time I need to disconnect a connector! They’re very firmly attached and I don’t want to bend the boards too much!

Removed the appropriate lamp sockets and now up for some hope drilling...

Looking forward too experience the end result!

Question: are these boards already flashed with the correct firmware and ready to go?

E8304CEA-6270-4A58-95F0-26C4F9999AF8 (resized).jpeg
#1925 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, kits ship with most recent code. Plug and play.

Ok great so I probably never have to figure out how the update process works.

Works great and looks amazing!! I’m amazed how the red and blue compliment each other. I was a bit afraid that those colors would be too harsh.

I didn’t know that the wood of the playfield would be so soft. No real drilling required and just only a mark to get the screw going. I think you might add that to the instruction since I drilled right thru the playfield on the first try! This was next to a bulb right in the back so thankfully you won’t find that hole but I got a little heart attack for a second.

I haven’t installed the bottom lamps on top of the flippers yet.
I’ve found the additional cables and I assume only the two blues and reds are controlled? The whites won’t be connected to the Matrix board right?

Thanks again for your support and this GREAT mod!

#1929 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I completed the MET inlane install yesterday. It really adds to the overall package, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is buying the Total Lightshow Kit. Even though you're only adding two extra colored lights on each side, it creates a big impact because of the proximity to the flippers. You do have to remove the right flipper mech, but other than that it's a pretty straightforward install ...

Looks great! I'm waiting for the metal guides I ordered from Marco's to do the extended mod as well.

I do think you've used the 'incorrect' order of the colors at your flippers. According to Sterns documentation the premium has them in order: red, blue and white. I've updates Mike's instructional images with the updated socket dropout and new placement locations.

MetProGIDrop (resized).jpgMetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
#1932 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Don’t get too cocky! Once you get those flipper plates off and see the poor job stern did on the GI sockets in the factory; you may rethink it! I just got them fitted and working, rather than worry too much
I aimed for:
|__ R B W \\ o // W B R |
But once i found their hack job i opted for:
|__ W B R \\ o // R B W |
All using frosted 2SMD Comet bulbs.

I’m sorry I didn’t intended to come across as cocky. So you are aware of the order difference. Thanks for providing those details. You’re right, I haven’t removed these protective covers yet.

Now I’m wondering what this mess will look like.

1 month later
#1960 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, that’s coming. With perhaps also the arrow inserts for AC/DC, and the electric chair inserts on Met, which MIGHT be a useful alternative to the solid red arrow inserts.

Not sure what this would like like on Met. You dim the red arrow inserts? But can you actually individually dim inserts from this mod?

#1978 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, Iron Man is getting "The Treatment". I have a "Creating an Iron Man Premium" thread where you can see the ramp lights and drop targets installed. This lightshow will cap it off.
And I will do TWD. I'm very keen now.

Why rename the Tron thread to Iron Maiden instead of creating a new one?

1 month later
#1987 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

New gear day!!!
The pick and place was also supposed to arrive with this stencil printer, but the other truck didn’t make it. Tomorrow!
This lets me apply solder paste to boards and panels of boards in seconds. True home manufacturing is about to begin!!
This takes a lot of risk out of my little hobby/business as I no longer need to order boards in $10k batches in order to get the price to where I need it.
It even takes big industrial sized stencils, so I can make my custom DMDs for my DMD aprons myself.
It also allows me to expand into general board manufacture. For example, I am going to be making Alien replacement LEDs and proximity sensor switches, and keeping those parts going for years.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OH... MY... ...

#1997 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It does this..
Success!
First test is half speed. Second is full speed..

That’s some professional gear! Impressive!

I guess you didn’t only bought this new ‘toy’ for making pinball parts?

2 months later
#2052 2 years ago

Quoted from TimeBandit:I may even revisit Metallica in a full GI replacement RGB version. Maybe.

1 week later
#2073 2 years ago

Hi Mike,
Not sure of you still own a Metallica but Stern released new code yesterday.
Could you check the release notes and see if this might have impact on Total Lightshow?

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL180-README.TXT

I’m concerned about the changes to pick target lamp behavior in particular.

Thanks!

1 week later
#2084 2 years ago

Awesome work!!

Really looking forward to see the first real world product and results!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Koos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside