(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.
#401 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

+1
I can just imagine what :42 seconds (on the second video) will look like with mirror blades....daaaum! 8)

Yeah I think I'll indulge a bit here, put some blades in on the weekend and shoot these two again. Might even do an extended gameplay vid now that all the modes are finished. I still have a tiny bit of lockup whenever coffin mb and grave mb are stacked but that will be fixed shortly. We are nearly there folks.

#402 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Might even do an extended gameplay vid now that all the modes are finished.

Yes please. Just let the camera roll and play for an hour.

#403 8 years ago

Just changed my mirrorblades for the awesome pinblades from Pinball Refinery with the lightning mod.

This mod is going to be awesome, already saving up the money

And yep, just let the camera run for a full game but pls have also the DMD on it so I can see what is actually happening eg in which mode you are. And dont worry about your performance, I suck to as a tournament player

#404 8 years ago

Well here it is. Just got the last of the big bugs ironed out. There are still some tiny things annoying me, but they are very, very specific and you probably won't notice. So, for those who want some weekend viewing, eighteen minutes of gameplay with the glass off and one ball going through pretty much everything it does. DMD is in shot so you can see the modes. Mirror blades in place. Enjoy.
note -- the biggest problem with this is the video quality that ends up on youtube. All the flashing effects are perfectly uniform, but some of them appear to be a a bit uneven and clunky. Lady Justice especially is dissappointing on the final posted video. That is a really sharp, rapid flash on the ramp and loop hits that just doesn't get caught properly through the upload process.

#405 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well here it is. Just got the last of the big bugs ironed out. There are still some tiny things annoying me, but they are very, very specific and you probably won't notice. So, for those who want some weekend viewing, eighteen minutes of gameplay with the glass off and one ball going through pretty much everything it does. DMD is in shot so you can see the modes. Mirror blades in place. Enjoy.
note -- the biggest problem with this is the video quality that ends up on youtube. All the flashing effects are perfectly uniform, but some of them appear to be a a bit uneven and clunky. Lady Justice especially is dissappointing on the final posted video. That is a really sharp, rapid flash on the ramp and loop hits that just doesn't get caught properly through the upload process.
» YouTube video

I am sorry, but you have left me no choice but to declare you "GENIUS!"

#406 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am sorry, but you have left me no choice but to declare you "GENIUS!"

haha. I appreciate it, but sadly, no. If I was a genius I would have had it done a lot quicker. This is weeks and months of work. It looks so simple at the end, but this has nearly driven me mad. If you ever want to get turned off a game for the rest of your life, build a mod for it! lol. You don't want to know how many times I have taken this thing up to and through the CIU modes.

#407 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

haha. I appreciate it, but sadly, no. If I was a genius I would have had it done a lot quicker. This is weeks and months of work. It looks so simple at the end, but this has nearly driven me mad. If you ever want to get turned off a game for the rest of your life, build a mod for it! lol. You don't want to know how many times I have taken this thing up to and through the CIU modes.

I was thinking about this the other day when your MOD came to mind. There are still things that I haven't fully experienced with my MET and it keeps things fresh and new. But you have POURED through every mode and aspect of this game to get things spot on with this MOD....I can see how it would take the fun out of it. We are lucky enough to have a chance to add this MOD all from your hard work. I'm sure many thanks will be in order

#408 8 years ago

Totally & utterly insanely awesome. Grabbing my very first NIB this week & it just happens to be MT. Put me in the camp of buying as soon as they are ready.

#409 8 years ago

That gameplay video was incredible. I have to take a second to pick my jaw up off the floor. Seriously man, you've done outstanding work here! Cannot wait to send payment. Just say the word

Now I have to watch that vid again

#410 8 years ago

Here is a link to the original 1.37GB video file if you really want to see it at full resolution and frame rate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLghkiXiLQoalAxSXBuMG9CNnM/view?usp=sharing

#411 8 years ago

I can't freaking wait!shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpgshut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

#412 8 years ago

Timebandit just in case you missed my post from 8 months ago (page 1), put me down for one too. Fantastic work.

#413 8 years ago

So any idea when this will be coming of the production line?

Perhaps wise idea to publish your list of interested people so people can check if they are in the list? Am I on it?

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So any idea when this will be coming of the production line?
Perhaps wise idea to publish your list of interested people so people can check if they are in the list? Am I on it?

You are now! There should be no problem getting in. I am going to start a market thread shortly when I start getting pieces back from manufacturers. The main board manufacturer has me on a six week turnaround from when I placed the order last week.
The for sale ad will ask you for an email address to which I can issue a PayPal invoice. That will be how orders will be taken. I am estimating I will have stock left over from the first run so no one need worry about missing out. I am going to try and keep a bit of stock available. If it takes me a year or two to sell them all then I am ok with that.

#415 8 years ago

Put me on that list!

#416 8 years ago

I keep obsessively checking this "topics in which you posted" to see your link to the market thread once you make it. You're really raising the (lockdown?) bar with this.

Thanks again for taking your time on this. I'm confident you'll "Re-appreciate" the game after a short break upon final completion of this process.

#417 8 years ago

If I'm not already on the list for the email, I'd like to be.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If I'm not already on the list for the email, I'd like to be.

Ditto!

#419 8 years ago

Does the new 1.64 code update effect your lightshow mod in anyway? Looks like they made some changes to the Search & Destroy mode. Just curious.

Also giving you a bump

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Does the new 1.64 code update effect your lightshow mod in anyway? Looks like they made some changes to the Search & Destroy mode. Just curious.
Also giving you a bump

Thanks for the bump Hoaky. Seek and destroy, oddly enough, is so lame a lighting effect on the Premium that I didn't bother replicating it. I will probably do my own interpretation of it so it will actually be better than the Premium. But to the topic of code updates, there is a chance generally that I do have to tweak my code if there are changes to lamp behaviour in the machine's code update. In that case, you would update the code on my board via the USB. Owners of the board will have access to a download area where they will always be able to grab the latest code.

#421 8 years ago

Thanks for the explanation I'd be willing to bet this was the final MET code update.

#422 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks for the explanation I'd be willing to bet this was the final MET code update.

The thing I did have to change was the sparky MB super jackpot. They actually made it easier to trigger. But at the same time caused my old trigger to fail. Five minute re-code job for me. So if you already had the board you would now just go to my download page and grab the new version. Easy peasy.

#423 8 years ago

Bandit Bump........oh yeah...

#424 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Owners of the board will have access to a download area where they will always be able to grab the latest code

Awesomeness bump

#425 8 years ago

Please put my name on the list...looks awesome!

#426 8 years ago

Would you recommend clear or frosted GI bulbs (9 Blue and 9 Red) for your Met Pro kit?

#427 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Would you recommend clear or frosted GI bulbs (9 Blue and 9 Red) for your Met Pro kit?

I really like the clear bulbs from Comet (or CT) that are a direct replacement for the Stern twin SMD bulbs in the Prem/LE, but maybe that's just because I've spent so long looking at the LE. These will also match the whites that are already in the Pro LED version.

Wish I could return the bump favour with some decent updates, but just waiting for production to complete. I am taking delivery of the first batch of socket strings on Monday, and all my GI Interceptors are done. I spend most evenings making matrix cables, lol. Living the dream.

#428 8 years ago

Should I buy 18 lamp sockets, or do they come with your "kit".

I did read the entire thread, and I didn't notice that detail.

I would also like to be added to a list of "definite buyers" for around~ $250.

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Should I buy 18 lamp sockets, or do they come with your "kit".
I did read the entire thread, and I didn't notice that detail.
I would also like to be added to a list of "definite buyers" for around~ $250.

Come with the kit to the best of my knowledge.

The sentence in his last post also indicates this : I am taking delivery of the first batch of socket strings on Monday

#430 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Come with the kit to the best of my knowledge.
The sentence in his last post also indicates this : I am taking delivery of the first batch of socket strings on Monday

hmmm, if they are included I wonder if they are 555 or 44/47 style sockets

#431 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

hmmm, if they are included I wonder if they are 555 or 44/47 style sockets

They are included and are the exact same wedge sockets used by Stern. That's buried in the thread there somewhere too. I sourced them directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan.

#432 8 years ago

Timebandit,

First off, this mod looks fantastic and will undoubtedly be in the 'must have' category for the supported machines.

That brings a question to mind though - what is the official status on AC/DC Pro and Tron? I saw AC/DC mentioned in a few replies (and even in video at the beginning of the thread) and saw where you mentioned that it was done, but all discussions on it kind of died off after that. Same for Tron - just wanted to know where they officially sit as ideally I'd love one for each of those games.

While I'm asking, what other games are you planning to develop for? Is Iron Man in the plans by any chance?

Thanks!

#433 8 years ago

As always Broken, firstly thanks for your interest. AC/DC is officially to be released alongside Met. I am waiting for the first production run of boards to come back so I can dedicate a board to my test machine, polish the code and check the installation procedure of the sockets. AC/DC will include a bonus of a Fade to Black type effect during Back in Black that fades out the GI as switch hits are accumulated.
Tron is currently fourth in line. It requires the completion of the porting of the low level led strip drivers from my custom strips across to commercially available strips. This is almost finished by the way, and it also allows me then to work on the single bulb RGB GI solution which is also coming along nicely. The single bulb solution is required for machines that are not driving separate Blue/Red/White GI strings in the same way that Met and AC/DC premiums do.
Which brings me back to ST Pro, which is next after Met and AC/DC get out the door. ST will see the kit in full flight. Colour ramp lights as first shown, plus single bulb RGB GI.
After these four are done, if interest is sufficient, I will move on to other machines that are appropriate. I don't think this is necessarliy a mod you can force onto every machine successfully, and once the machines are not replicating a Premium lightscape, then the whole package needs to be created from scratch, which will take a while and will certainly need a feedback cycle from users. IM would be cool, yes.

#434 8 years ago

Most excellent... I'm definitely going to be in on a kit each for AC/DC and Tron. Thanks for the detailed response as well - helps to understand where everything sits and what the order of operations are.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

As always Broken, firstly thanks for your interest. AC/DC is officially to be released alongside Met. I am waiting for the first production run of boards to come back so I can dedicate a board to my test machine, polish the code and check the installation procedure of the sockets. AC/DC will include a bonus of a Fade to Black type effect during Back in Black that fades out the GI as switch hits are accumulated.
Tron is currently fourth in line. It requires the completion of the porting of the low level led strip drivers from my custom strips across to commercially available strips. This is almost finished by the way, and it also allows me then to work on the single bulb RGB GI solution which is also coming along nicely. The single bulb solution is required for machines that are not driving separate Blue/Red/White GI strings in the same way that Met and AC/DC premiums do.
Which brings me back to ST Pro, which is next after Met and AC/DC get out the door. ST will see the kit in full flight. Colour ramp lights as first shown, plus single bulb RGB GI.
After these four are done, if interest is sufficient, I will move on to other machines that are appropriate. I don't think this is necessarliy a mod you can force onto every machine successfully, and once the machines are not replicating a Premium lightscape, then the whole package needs to be created from scratch, which will take a while and will certainly need a feedback cycle from users. IM would be cool, yes.

#435 8 years ago

Things are arriving..

Socket strings..
image.jpgimage.jpg
Really nicely finished..
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
With socket connected..
image.jpgimage.jpg
Some GI Interceptors..
image.jpgimage.jpg

#438 8 years ago

I'm just going to throw a small delay into production here, but I think you'll find it is worth it. The microcontroller is doing a lot. The switch reading in particular is very precise and demanding, and I am finding that I have to make compromises to get the pwm on the power outputs to work to the level of control I want. To that end, I am creating a type of hardware pwm bus off the main controller, so that all the pwm outputs will act as if they are hardware pwm rather than software. There aren't enough hardware pwm pins on the MCU anyway to connect them all as hardware pwm. This will allow the pwm control to be very smooth and granular. In effect, giving buttery smooth fades that I think will be up to factory standards. At the moment, even though you can't really make it out on the videos, there is some small stepping and flicker if you really look for it, and I'm just not satisfied with it. Should only throw things back by a couple of weeks, but totally worth it in my view.

#439 8 years ago

Sounds great. Can't wait to see the final product.

#440 8 years ago

I buy watches that have sweeping second hands. I appreciate the detail, and I'm happy to wait for it.

#441 8 years ago

And just to clarify, the outputs in question are the 6.3v power outputs that drive single devices including the strings for the GI replacement. The SPI outputs that drive the LED strips and addressable LEDs are fine.

#442 8 years ago

I have read through this entire thread a couple times now and I have another question.

In post #295 where you show the GI sockets to "drop out" on MET: Are we "dropping them out" to remove them completely, or are we doing that to move them somewhere else, or is it to just replace them with LED bulbs?

Also, your attention to detail in this project is very appreciated!

#443 8 years ago

Good question. They are unscrewed, pulled away from the playfield (but not separated from their wiring) and taped or cable-tied out of the way. My replacement sockets, which are an exact match, containing a coloured bulb are then screwed back in their place. My sockets are then connected together with their own wiring harness that feeds back to the controller. I am planning on putting a short video up of this exact procedure. Picture worth a thousand words and all that.
Thanks for reading...multiple times!

#444 8 years ago

I had a question....do we have to modify the ball guides on the Pro to match the ones installed on the Premium/LE? Looks like there's an extra hole in the guide for the additional GI lighting.

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#445 8 years ago

Another good question from the front row. That's the one spot I don't go. And it's because of mounting issues. The sockets in there are underneath the flipper mechs. Now while most people are fine with a bit of tinkering to get something like this installed, I didn't think anyone would want to go to the extent of removing flipper mechs to get it in. That takes the installation up to a pretty hefty undertaking.
Now a point to note here is that you could put them in there if you wanted to. You can put bulbs anywhere you want to. There is already one user looking to drill into the front of his apron and have reflectors throwing the lights forward onto the playfield. I am doing up a custom harness to facilitate this. I could also do an optional custom harness for those wanting to go into the ball guides. Extention harnesses would clip into the main harnesses the way I have shown that I get the spotlights included in the circuit. You would drop out the factory whites and put in a red and a blue. Or you could get hold of the premium ball guides for the extra hole.

#446 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I had a question....do we have to modify the ball guides on the Pro to match the ones installed on the Premium/LE? Looks like there's an extra hole in the guide for the additional GI lighting.
1.jpg
2.jpg

What are you taking your photos with? I like the colour balance and find it hard to get images that clear ( taking shots of LEDs I mean specifically). I'm no photographer so rarely get off automatic.

#447 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What are you taking your photos with? I like the colour balance and find it hard to get images that clear ( taking shots of LEDs I mean specifically). I'm no photographer so rarely get off automatic.

Yeah that's a "GOOD" DSLR.

#448 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

There is already one user looking to drill into the front of his apron and have reflectors throwing the lights forward onto the playfield. I am doing up a custom harness to facilitate this.

oh yeah!! that be me.......

super excited to see this coming together....bump

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

oh yeah!! that be me.......
super excited to see this coming together....bump

Always the same people with special treatment ...

#450 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No idea. I pulled those pics from the Pinball News review of Metallica.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/metallica/index5a.html

Just curious how you had them installed on your recent gameplay video. I assumed you had the bulbs in the same places as the Premium.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.