(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 47.
#2201 3 years ago

Just got a Metallica that has this installed. It is just superb. Had no issues with it but guess it makes sense to do the update above regardless. Cheers TimeBandit for such an awesome mod!

#2202 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Basically you just connect it via the switch matrix for the premium, tapping into the correct colour wires at connectors or using insulation displacement connectors. The motor taps into 20v at the pin where the premium does in the back box. Then switch the negative wire through a solid state relay such as an SSR-25DD (heaps on eBay) the relay is switched from the outputs on the total light show board.

Thanks for the information!

In regards to the output on the TLS PCB... is it the unused "OUT5" and it's associated "GND"? If not, what connection is it?

Thanks again.

[edit]

Found the answer. For future reference there is good information starting at post#837 in this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/17#post-2879534

#2203 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have also just added a fix for the errant cross-raising. Again, let me know if it plays up again.

Can confirm this has definitely fixed the problem. It used to stay up if I started a game just after finishing the prior game, when unforgiven starts playing and the cross has just risen again. The very start of ‘attract mode’
If you let the section of unforgiven finish, it has never been an issue, only time it happens is when you start a new game just after it has risen.
Now it only stays up for the first ball then retracts again.
Thanks very much mate, good fix!

#2204 3 years ago

Patiently sitting on the sidelines waiting for dmd aprons ..... so looking forward to their return.

#2205 3 years ago

Any chance we will ever see a solution to the broken Metallica pro spinner sounds?

#2206 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Any chance we will ever see a solution to the broken Metallica pro spinner sounds?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading this is totally dead because of Stern closing the port? So much so, I uninstalled my Sound Caller setup and just connected the spinners to the left-most and right-most picks.

#2207 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Can confirm this has definitely fixed the problem. It used to stay up if I started a game just after finishing the prior game, when unforgiven starts playing and the cross has just risen again. The very start of ‘attract mode’
If you let the section of unforgiven finish, it has never been an issue, only time it happens is when you start a new game just after it has risen.
Now it only stays up for the first ball then retracts again.
Thanks very much mate, good fix!

Now that’s how you provide quality debugging feedback. Description couldn’t be clearer. Funny, when you’re testing these things you have to think of a whole bunch of scenarios that may eventuate. I had simply never thought to test what would happen if I pressed start a little early.
I’ll have new code this afternoon to fix that last niggle.

#2208 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I’ll setup for someone to post the Jim Carey “there’s a chance” meme....

My kit can send a spinner sound trigger no problem. “All” it would take would be a third party sound driver, triggered by my board, that has an appropriate sound stored in it, that you could play back through the machine’s speakers. Hell, you could even play it externally to the machine if you wanted.

#2209 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My kit can send a spinner sound trigger no problem. “All” it would take would be a third party sound driver, triggered by my board, that has an appropriate sound stored in it, that you could play back through the machine’s speakers. Hell, you could even play it externally to the machine if you wanted.

Can you step one level lower in abstraction to describe how this had been working through the SAM UART? Did the previously working serial connection simply take a command to play particular sound script?

#2210 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now that’s how you provide quality debugging feedback. Description couldn’t be clearer. Funny, when you’re testing these things you have to think of a whole bunch of scenarios that may eventuate. I had simply never thought to test what would happen if I pressed start a little early.
I’ll have new code this afternoon to fix that last niggle.

Awesome! Thanks very much Mike!

#2211 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Awesome! Thanks very much Mike!

Ok, this should cover it..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MrLQeMY1JNswea3ubzVDgWklGniRCkhD

For anyone else looking at Met code. This link is the latest version.

#2212 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Can you step one level lower in abstraction to describe how this had been working through the SAM UART? Did the previously working serial connection simply take a command to play particular sound script?

Yep, simply sent a command to use the menu option "play sound" or whatever it was.

#2213 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from TimeBandit:

You could even build actuators to play double kick drum, and have an actual drum get played in time with the spinners.
Someone should do that.

#2214 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yep, simply sent a command to use the menu option "play sound" or whatever it was.

And the issue is the newest update has disabled the UART? If we are lucky it is a simple config register setting that they turned off. With a little disassembly and detective work, it should be possible to build a rom patch to reenable it. If you want to talk shop and see if it's doable, shoot me a note. I have your sound board just wasting away in a drawer.

#2215 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I have your sound board just wasting away in a drawer.

Ya. How many do I have wasting away in a drawer. Lolol. So sad it’s funny nowadays.

Generally I’d like to investigate it further but it’s beyond my pay grade. C++ is where I max out, lol. Any disassembly I do has to involve a screwdriver.
I did try attacking it with Olivier aka pinball browser, but even he, the king of ROM patches hit a wall.

I honestly think the path of a general extender unit that takes my triggers and does a whole bunch of other stuff is a better use of anyone’s resources.

#2216 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Ya. How many do I have wasting away in a drawer. Lolol. So sad it’s funny nowadays.
Generally I’d like to investigate it further but it’s beyond my pay grade. C++ is where I max out, lol. Any disassembly I do has to involve a screwdriver.
I did try attacking it with Olivier aka pinball browser, but even he, the king of ROM patches hit a wall.
I honestly think the path of a general extender unit that takes my triggers and does a whole bunch of other stuff is a better use of anyone’s resources.

Sadly I am better from the bottom up (somehow this phrasing doesn't sound right...haha) so I tap out with OOP constructs and run back to my load/store/shift safety blanket . I'll give Oliver a ping and see what info he has. You are probably right about building an extender being a better use of time. But losing the serial connection bugs me enough to see if there is a way to get it back.

BTW, glad to see you back at it.

#2217 3 years ago

Mike this has fixed the cross staying up as you can see in the start of my video. It momentarily makes the cross rise when the first ball hits the trough switch. Then drops it again when the new ball is on the shooter lane switch as you can see at the end of the video.
It doesn’t happen if you have started cross multiball during the first ball but it did happen when I got cross multiball on the second ball and drained, then when my third ball was in the shooter lane it lowered again.
It is usually only the first ball though, and only if the game is started whilst the unforgiven music is playing (if you let the short unforgiven music finish it does not have the issue at all), so all good, Nothing to stress about, great improvement!
Thank you very much for taking the time to fix it for the very limited number of people who it affects, I really appreciate it!

#2218 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Mike this has fixed the cross staying up as you can see in the start of my video. It momentarily makes the cross rise when the first ball hits the trough switch. Then drops it again when the new ball is on the shooter lane switch as you can see at the end of the video.
It doesn’t happen if you have started cross multiball during the first ball but it did happen when I got cross multiball on the second ball and drained, then when my third ball was in the shooter lane it lowered again.
It is usually only the first ball though, and only if the game is started whilst the unforgiven music is playing (if you let the short unforgiven music finish it does not have the issue at all), so all good, Nothing to stress about, great improvement!
Thank you very much for taking the time to fix it for the very limited number of people who it affects, I really appreciate it!

Excellent!
One thing does always risk causing another of course, so I will look into the extra bits over the next couple of days. Great description though, should be easy to track down.

#2219 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Excellent!
One thing does always risk causing another of course, so I will look into the extra bits over the next couple of days. Great description though, should be easy to track down.

No stress at all mate, I really appreciate the updates, as I said it was something I could live with but awesome that you have taken the time to resolve!

#2220 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Excellent!

I have done a bit more testing it has done a couple of weird things like rising and staying up during the start of sparky multiball. And it dropped a couple of times during cross multiball. (This has nothing to do with when I start a new game. It can happen randomly if I wait for unforgiven song to finish before starting or if I start during the song playing.)

As far as I can tell the ball one issues, when the cross rises when the ball drains and is in the trough and it goes back down when ball two is in the shooter lane, only happens if you start a game during the song unforgiven. As soon as that song fades out and relay 1 is engaged (Can hear it click), starting a game then has no issues (possibly something to do with relay 1 as if you quickly start a game before it disengages it doesn’t have the ball one issue either but can have similar problems on other balls)

I can certainly live with that if it’s too much trouble to chase out.
It is much better than before, where it sometimes stayed up for the whole game or until you finished cross multiball.

#2221 3 years ago

Another Metallica Pro has a rising cross thanks to TimeBandit(and Marco)! Thanks again Mike!

#2222 3 years ago

There’s going to be a delay getting the next TLS kits out for Tron and Met.

Over the past few months I’ve been having some issues with the main boards that have been very surprising and very hard to track down.

Turns out that there is a number of bad Atmel MCUs in the batch. The failure rate I’m seeing on these is outrageous, and having been working with my serious engineer buddies I have heard that in the last year they have seen similar problem batches in other Atmel chips.

This means I have to get the main chip replaced on every outstanding board. Don’t know the turnaround yet but I will keep you posted.

#2223 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Over the past few months I’ve been having some issues with the main boards that have been very surprising and very hard to track down.
Turns out that there is a number of bad Atmel MCUs in the batch. The failure rate I’m seeing on these is outrageous, and having been working with my serious engineer buddies I have heard that in the last year they have seen similar problem batches in other Atmel chips.
This means I have to get the main chip replaced on every outstanding board. Don’t know the turnaround yet but I will keep you posted.

Dang that sucks. Could this explain the weird behavior I had with my TLS causing memory corruption on my Met? Would you mind sharing the gory technical details on the nature of the problems you are seeing?

#2224 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Dang that sucks. Could this explain the weird behavior I had with my TLS causing memory corruption on my Met? Would you mind sharing the gory technical details on the nature of the problems you are seeing?

The bit where it asks the question whether it needs to go to the bootloader or not, and what register it needs, gets scrambled. The symptom is that it powers up straight to the bootloader and gets stuck there.

1 month later
#2225 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Worth the wait for sure!

#2226 3 years ago

Any update about this lightshow kit?

3 weeks later
#2227 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

New code! Haha. Here is the new Metallica code that addresses the sometimes-going-dark-for-too-long issue. Please let me know if it bugs out in any way. I will fix it straight away.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MrLQeMY1JNswea3ubzVDgWklGniRCkhD

I played a couple games last night and the issue persists.

1 month later
#2228 3 years ago

I will soon acquire a Tron Legacy Pro, which has already been modded with fiber optics but the fiber control is not game controlled, it's a simple remote control type device which cycles through colors.

I would therefore very much like to change it to a more evolved version, but I'm having a hard time finding a solution, will TLS Tron units be back in stock anytime soon ?

Alternatively, is there an open source version that we could build ? (similar to Pinduino, but using fiber optics instead of ledstrip)

Thanks and regards

1 week later
#2229 3 years ago

Any updates on availability for Tron?

1 week later
#2230 3 years ago

Hi Mike, any update on the Metallica kits?

#2231 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Hi Mike, any update on the Metallica kits?

I may be selling my Metallica and I think I might make out better if I sell the kit separately. What is the kit worth?

#2232 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I may be selling my Metallica and I think I might make out better if I sell the kit separately. What is the kit worth?

tf (resized).jpgtf (resized).jpg
#2233 3 years ago

I would HATE to take mine out. It would take forever to remove.

#2234 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I would HATE to take mine out. It would take forever to remove.

I agree, it's gonna stink to get out. Especially with my low ceiling. I'm just not sure I'll get the value of the mods if I leave it in.

#2235 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I paid 200USD, inclusive of shipping, for a new, not installed kit from an owner who never got around to installing it.

#2236 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I wouldn't uninstall it. The Total Lightshow kit is one of those rare mods that I think you should be able to get your full money back on when you sell the game. It's a highly desirable mod, and it takes a long time to install.

#2237 3 years ago

Seems like the Met TLS would also help your game sell faster, the user experience is definitely enhanced. The only reason I would consider uninstalling would be if I had to sell Met for $ and knew I would be buying another down the road.

#2238 3 years ago

Is it safe to assume that the DMD aprons are not coming back? It's been a long time without any mention. Oh well, I'll have to spend my money on something else I guess.

3 months later
#2240 3 years ago

I would like to +1 myself for the MET pro kit.

1 week later
#2241 3 years ago

I remember asking to be added to the TRON TLS kit list about 11 months ago, but this would probably be a better place to ask since it won't get lost in the jumble of other TRON posts in that thread.

+1 for a TRON TLS kit please

1 week later
#2242 3 years ago

One Metallica Pro Kit for me please. Thank you!

#2243 3 years ago

I would also like to be added to the Tron TLS kit.

#2244 3 years ago

Please put me down for a Tron TLS kit.

#2245 3 years ago

I don’t think there is a Tron TLS kit list, but if there is, just in case, +1 for me too please

#2246 3 years ago

I emailed and pm'd Timebandit a month or two ago and haven't heard back :/ Really want the tron ramp mod!

#2247 3 years ago

Given the lack of response, I've been looking at building mine. I have pretty much things nailed down, just hesitating on the control system.

In that scope, If anyone has the Tron LE full manual, including board schematics, that would help

Regards

#2248 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I emailed and pm'd Timebandit a month or two ago and haven't heard back :/ Really want the tron ramp mod!

I did the same and I also asked to be put on the list on the TRON lovefest thread, before I found this forum thread. I have the EL wire set, but it's just blue and orange. I think it was a kit that was offered before the TLS and other ramp mods were available. His last post here is only 8 months ago, hopefully he shows back up with good news. Have to stay positive.

1 week later
#2249 3 years ago

YES!!! I would like to +1 myself for the MET pro kit as well!! Last mod needed for my Met!

1 week later
#2250 3 years ago

One more Tron TLE kit request here too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/45?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.