(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 7 votes
    14%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    65%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 47.
#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:If you re do Metallica count me in, that’s two people now so it’s a goer

+1

#2052 5 years ago

Quoted from TimeBandit:I may even revisit Metallica in a full GI replacement RGB version. Maybe.

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Ok, that's two people. Which, on the internet, means everybody..so, yes I will do it.

I'm in

#2054 5 years ago

I'd be interested in the results of a full RGB GI setup for Metallica. Can't say I'd for sure throw money at it before seeing how it turns out though.

#2055 5 years ago

I was also wondering on IM...

Many owners have the modded WarMachine & Whiplash figures with chest LEDs & the lighted whips that tap into the GI lighting, usually to a GI bulb near the figures. Will it still be possible to have these mods once the original GI bulbs are swapped on you new kit? I'm guessing the original sockets remain & get tied away (like on the MET install), so perhaps they can still be tapped into? Just curious.

#2056 5 years ago

Is TWD going to get a kit?

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is TWD going to get a kit?

Yes, but I can’t pin down a date.

#2058 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was also wondering on IM...
Many owners have the modded WarMachine & Whiplash figures with chest LEDs & the lighted whips that tap into the GI lighting, usually to a GI bulb near the figures. Will it still be possible to have these mods once the original GI bulbs are swapped on you new kit? I'm guessing the original sockets remain & get tied away (like on the MET install), so perhaps they can still be tapped into? Just curious.

Correct, original GI is tied away but still there. And if I do a complete replacement then there is no GI interceptor used and no interruptions to the standard GI. All mods so hooked up can remain unchanged.

#2059 5 years ago

Now THAT’S how you install a Total Lightshow kit! Nice work, Jason.

7178A518-E488-442E-A04B-1EC1140AF51E (resized).jpeg7178A518-E488-442E-A04B-1EC1140AF51E (resized).jpeg
#2060 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now THAT’S how you install a Total Lightshow kit! Nice work, Jason.
[quoted image]

Looks factory.

#2061 5 years ago

I think I've settled on the final configuration including what to do with the back board. There are only six GI bulbs back there, so replacing them with RGB is not going to achieve much. So, why don't we put in 28?

Factory GI will remain on the backboard and be controlled by the classic GI Interceptor so it can be dimmed when necessary. 28 addressable LEDs will go across the top of the backboard. They will give a big ass kick to the GI during normal play, but will then complete the theatrics when called upon.

Here are some vids (which are TOO colourful, yes) that don't represent what I want to do artistically. They are merely demonstrating the capabilities of the LEDs and indicating the coverage obtained.

The pattern rotation includes a straight plain white GI to give you an idea of how they do their basic job of illuminating the playfield.

First from above. The backboard LEDs are in place, but are nicely shielded from your eyes naturally by the cabinet. You can see them playing out on the backboard and playfield.

Detail of the backboard LEDs.

#2062 5 years ago

What a great solution. Great effects as well! Love the light zipping back & forth across the backboard (perhaps on a ramp or orbit shot). I'm sure the backboard bulb addition will add more time to your coding process, but it's infinitely worth it IMO.

The entire playfield looks very well lit at the end of that video with the white GI turned on. I just can't get over the lighting effects that are possible with this new kit. My jaw literally dropped watching this. And this video isn't even showcasing the lit ramps. Really loving how this is progressing

#2063 5 years ago

Plenty of places in IM where I can use fire. Flamethrower anyone?

Duelling flamethrowers..

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Plenty of places in IM where I can use fire. Flamethrower anyone?
Duelling flamethrowers..

Walking Dead?

#2065 5 years ago

It's gonna happen. Probably next actually. I was always going to do Star Trek. But I sold it. I can see no reason why TWD won't be back on the schedule straight after IM is done.

#2066 5 years ago

I think it's funny how many people just want you to finally do walking dead. I ended up getting a premium TWD because I couldn't wait any longer on your kit for the pro. Your work is highly in demand, obviously

#2067 5 years ago

It looks awesome - will any of this translate to Tron at all at some point? Is there much scope for this level of lighting within Tron?

#2068 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I think it's funny how many people just want you to finally do walking dead. I ended up getting a premium TWD because I couldn't wait any longer on your kit for the pro. Your work is highly in demand, obviously

When I first proposed TWD it was crickets!

Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Is there much scope for this level of lighting within Tron?

Oh, my lordy, yes.

#2069 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It's gonna happen. Probably next actually. I was always going to do Star Trek. But I sold it. I can see no reason why TWD won't be back on the schedule straight after IM is done.

That wasn't a nudge for TWD Pro, I have great patience and good things come to those who wait, it was more that Walking Dead features flame throwers and that effect might suit it (might be the Premium spinners that did the Flame throwers though).

In all of this i'm personally not looking for mental LSD coloured effects, just appropriate lighting which has a striking and related impact on the gameplay. Overuse of the colour GI might water down the WOW factor affect it can have.

e.g. a blood red 'wash over & draining effect' from playfield top to bottom for BIT. The obvious HORDE red pulses.
TRON is a non-brainer, but GI could water down the Ramp fibres.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Will you kit be designed to make the Pro like Prem/LE, or will it be your own unique light show?

#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Oh, my lordy, yes.

Tron with your programmable GI and insert lighting effects is pretty much what God put you on Earth to do. I’ll happily wait as long as it takes maestro

#2072 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Will you kit be designed to make the Pro like Prem/LE, or will it be your own unique light show?

My kits always aim to have at least the premium equivalent. TWD is a bit light on from factory, so it will have plenty of extra. I don't overdo it though and always stay classy. If there is anything a bit extreme it can always be optional and user-configurable via the DIP switches.

#2073 5 years ago

Hi Mike,
Not sure of you still own a Metallica but Stern released new code yesterday.
Could you check the release notes and see if this might have impact on Total Lightshow?

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL180-README.TXT

I’m concerned about the changes to pick target lamp behavior in particular.

Thanks!

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Hi Mike,
Not sure of you still own a Metallica but Stern released new code yesterday.
Could you check the release notes and see if this might have impact on Total Lightshow?
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/MTL180-README.TXT
I’m concerned about the changes to pick target lamp behavior in particular.
Thanks!

I've looked through and I believe at this stage the only issue may be some sound location changes for the sound caller.

The lamp behaviour on the pick targets is only used in Blackened mode, and I think they behave the same there after the update.

I will be checking closely later in the week.

#2075 5 years ago

Can anyone remind me what the DIP settings are on Total Light show board in a MET Pro please?

I'm currently

OFF / 0
OFF / 0

#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Can anyone remind me what the DIP settings are on Total Light show board in a MET Pro please?
I'm currently
OFF / 0
OFF / 0

Yes that is the ‘factory’ setting for best lightshow and changing spinner sounds

#2077 5 years ago

Sound caller issue is a bit bigger than just position changes. Access through the rs232 has changed.

#2078 5 years ago

Sorry, I meant what are all the 4 possible dip settings - i.e. what do the dips do?

#2079 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Sorry, I meant what are all the 4 possible dip settings - i.e. what do the dips do?

DIP 1 changes the in-between-effects colour to just the white bulbs. DIP 2 changes the behaviour of the spinner sounds. Shipped it plays different sounds in different modes, and switched to on it plays the same sound all game. (or at least it used to )

#2081 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sound caller issue is a bit bigger than just position changes. Access through the rs232 has changed.

Hopefully it’s not too hard to work out mate.

#2082 5 years ago

IMVE is my son's favorite game, so I will definitely be interested in one of your lighting kits. You mentioned tying it into drop targets - will these be part of a kit or is adding drop targets a totally separate project using different suppliers? Also, does it matter which (drop targets or lights) should be installed first?

#2083 5 years ago

Here is the final form factor of the driver module. The boards arrived today and I spent the afternoon building and testing.
IMG_1760 (resized).jpgIMG_1760 (resized).jpg

The module will have six output channels. Which is an enormous amount given the LEDs are addressable. Only one channel is needed for the entire playfield GI. You could have another channel for the backboard, another for behind the translite, another for undercab, another wrapped around your head..
IMG_1761 (resized).jpgIMG_1761 (resized).jpg

To drive all that you will need some headroom, so this will be powered off the 12V rail. I have fitted a modular power supply to the board (saves me a heap of production mucking around) and a big fat resettable fuse. The extra two outputs on the top right are just 5V and GND to attach to the far end of any long strip you have. After about 20-25 LEDs, the rest of the chain starts to dim a bit. Plug power into the other end as well and you have full strength all round.

Some pics of the custom board mounted on its carrier. They will come all fitted together and ready to simply screw into the underside of the PF somewhere.
IMG_1762 (resized).jpgIMG_1762 (resized).jpg
IMG_1763 (resized).jpgIMG_1763 (resized).jpg

There are three comms ports. Com1 will receive instructions from the Matrix Interceptor. Com2 I'm not sure yet, but hey, better to have it ready!. Exp Out is the I2C bus that I am going to use to drive the insert interceptor.
IMG_1766 (resized).jpgIMG_1766 (resized).jpg

Just some testing pics with power hooked up. You'll recognise the power cable from your TLS kit. Same cable.
IMG_1767 (resized).jpgIMG_1767 (resized).jpg
IMG_1768 (resized).jpgIMG_1768 (resized).jpg

#2084 5 years ago

Awesome work!!

Really looking forward to see the first real world product and results!

#2085 5 years ago

Much cleaner than your first design, looks great!

#2086 5 years ago

I'm afraid the current version of the sound caller is being retired. Despite amazing cooperation from Olivier at Pinball Browser, I can't get the performance needed for it to work satisfactorily with the new round of Stern code updates for SAM which restrict access.

BUT, sound calling for spinners is not dead. In fact, it is about to enter a new, better, stronger phase.

I am going to produce another module that will independently play sounds through the factory speakers. It will have independent storage so you can put whatever sound you want on there.

Which... is good news for TWD pro owners, as the new sound player will be incorporated into the TWD Total Lightshow kit so that spinners can be added to that pro. I was going to finish TWD anyway, but now it will just be that little bit better.

#2087 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm afraid the current version of the sound caller is being retired. Despite amazing cooperation from Olivier at Pinball Browser, I can't get the performance needed for it to work satisfactorily with the new round of Stern code updates for SAM which restrict access.

Will there at least be an update for the new Metallica code that just dropped?

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Will there at least be an update for the new Metallica code that just dropped?

Doesn’t need it. Lights are all good.

#2089 5 years ago

All I heard was "finish TWD" : ) Woot!

#2090 5 years ago

Anything to do for us with metallica pro, new code and sound caller? We have to wait the new sound player... i have one of the first version of the total light show... doest it will work with it?

#2091 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Doesn’t need it. Lights are all good.

I thought I read that the new code broke some of the spinner sounds?

#2092 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I thought I read that the new code broke some of the spinner sounds?

Yes. We might be at slightly crossed purposes.. Spinner sounds don't work and never will. Code update won't help as Stern has blocked the access to trigger the sounds. The lights are all good on the new code. So, no code update from this end to go with MET180.

But, spinner sounds will be reinstated with a new module. That's just going to take a little time.

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes. We might be at slightly crossed purposes.. Spinner sounds don't work and never will. Code update won't help as Stern has blocked the access to trigger the sounds. The lights are all good on the new code. So, no code update from this end to go with MET180.
But, spinner sounds will be reinstated with a new module. That's just going to take a little time.

Oh, they actually broke it in a way that can't be fixed without new hardware. That sucks, but I guess there's a silver lining if it leads to a more robust product down the road.

3 weeks later
#2094 5 years ago

Happy New Year my pinball brothers! Let's hope 2019 can be another banner year for new releases and lots of pinball goodness.

I have the store closed at the moment for the holiday break, but I think I'm going to leave it closed for all of January. I need to take some time to recharge. I'm going to tighten up all the works in progress and make sure that everything I do in '19 is on point. I'm going to drop a few things, maybe pick up a couple of new things, but generally spend the year consolidating and ensuring my production stays comfortable and sustainable.

I fear that if I don't take some time out I may shut down altogether. I'm currently drifting down the Fortnite rabbit hole and frankly enjoying myself very much. A tiny voice in the back of my head whispers how much cheaper it is to sustain a PC gaming habit compared to pinball. Not to mention my wife getting half her house back, lol. But I don't really listen to the voice. I am going to continue with the redshift product line, along with the Alien spare parts, but I have to get re-energized.

I will continue supporting the product while the store is closed, and without the pressure of filling new orders for a while I should be able to get back to full focus in a month or so.

Thanks to all the great buyers of my stuff in '18! Volume continued to increase and Total Lightshow kits in the field are now measured in hundreds rather than dozens. This of course has added to the pressures of keeping it sustainable, but it also clarifies priorities and should lead to the right decisions being made to ensure long term stability.

Look for the store to reopen in Feb.

Cheers
Mike

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Happy New Year my pinball brothers! Let's hope 2019 can be another banner year for new releases and lots of pinball goodness.
I have the store closed at the moment for the holiday break, but I think I'm going to leave it closed for all of January. I need to take some time to recharge. I'm going to tighten up all the works in progress and make sure that everything I do in '19 is on point. I'm going to drop a few things, maybe pick up a couple of new things, but generally spend the year consolidating and ensuring my production stays comfortable and sustainable.
I fear that if I don't take some time out I may shut down altogether. I'm currently drifting down the Fortnite rabbit hole and frankly enjoying myself very much. A tiny voice in the back of my head whispers how much cheaper it is to sustain a PC gaming habit compared to pinball. Not to mention my wife getting half her house back, lol. But I don't really listen to the voice. I am going to continue with the redshift product line, along with the Alien spare parts, but I have to get re-energized.
I will continue supporting the product while the store is closed, and without the pressure of filling new orders for a while I should be able to get back to full focus in a month or so.
Thanks to all the great buyers of my stuff in '18! Volume continued to increase and Total Lightshow kits in the field are now measured in hundreds rather than dozens. This of course has added to the pressures of keeping it sustainable, but it also clarifies priorities and should lead to the right decisions being made to ensure long term stability.
Look for the store to reopen in Feb.
Cheers
Mike

Enjoy your time off, Mike! You've earned it.

1 month later
#2096 5 years ago

So, my store is still closed and I'm getting more direct enquiries regarding when I will be open again.

Here is the whole story. If you care.

redshiftLED is about to be reborn.

I have been working on a hardware/software product for a corporate client that, if successfully completed will fund my pinball business many, many times over. The product has emerged from my pinball work but has nothing to do with pinball. Everything has been engineered and demo'd, and now in final field testing stage.

What are the chances of it coming off? Well, I'm not counting any chickens yet, but I have already sold one piece of software to them for which they have fully paid and taken delivery. So, I guess I'm a software developer now, haha! We have a relationship, they have bought already, and they want what I've built.. So I guess you might call that about a 10-15% chance of happening?

I'm leaving the store closed until this is done, but when it reopens all will be bigger and better.

Cross fingers for me.

#2097 5 years ago

Fingers tightly crossed for you

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

So, my store is still closed and I'm getting more direct enquiries regarding when I will be open again.
Here is the whole story. If you care.
redshiftLED is about to be reborn.
I have been working on a hardware/software product for a corporate client that, if successfully completed will fund my pinball business many, many times over. The product has emerged from my pinball work but has nothing to do with pinball. Everything has been engineered and demo'd, and now in final field testing stage.
What are the chances of it coming off? Well, I'm not counting any chickens yet, but I have already sold one piece of software to them for which they have fully paid and taken delivery. So, I guess I'm a software developer now, haha! We have a relationship, they have bought already, and they want what I've built.. So I guess you might call that about a 10-15% chance of happening?
I'm leaving the store closed until this is done, but when it reopens all will be bigger and better.
Cross fingers for me.

Sounds great, does that mean you can employ a couple employees.

#2099 5 years ago

Very exciting news, Mike! I hope it all works out for you.

#2100 5 years ago

Good luck with your endeavors Mike & thanks for the update

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.50
$ 138.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.