Total Lightshow. Development thread. Iron Man is back!

(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Iron Man is back!

By TimeBandit

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,072 posts
  • 211 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by TimeBandit
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 5 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 4 votes
    13%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 22 votes
    71%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 416 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7178A518-E488-442E-A04B-1EC1140AF51E (resized).jpeg
5F620CD8-5F79-4922-A14F-B1C79FF18DC3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1572 (resized).jpg
IMG_1591 (resized).jpg
IMG_1594 (resized).jpg
IMG_1592 (resized).jpg
IMG_1593 (resized).jpg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpg
IMG_1590 (resized).jpg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpg
EF365A61-291F-4255-9F47-0C8056A46432 (resized).jpeg
E0E6BC27-8D5D-47D0-A576-AE489475B856 (resized).jpeg
4564834A-9F5A-482D-BD6E-F9EB0892BCDF (resized).jpeg
65150361-1954-4E64-995C-D572110948C0 (resized).jpeg
45D8824B-0052-41BC-8816-651DAAD04FF5 (resized).jpeg
4C50EF38-4622-4976-A993-469C5423C400 (resized).jpeg

There are 2072 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.
#2051 7 days ago
Quoted from ktm450:If you re do Metallica count me in, that’s two people now so it’s a goer

+1

#2052 7 days ago

Quoted from TimeBandit:I may even revisit Metallica in a full GI replacement RGB version. Maybe.

#2053 7 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Ok, that's two people. Which, on the internet, means everybody..so, yes I will do it.

I'm in

#2054 7 days ago

I'd be interested in the results of a full RGB GI setup for Metallica. Can't say I'd for sure throw money at it before seeing how it turns out though.

#2055 7 days ago

I was also wondering on IM...

Many owners have the modded WarMachine & Whiplash figures with chest LEDs & the lighted whips that tap into the GI lighting, usually to a GI bulb near the figures. Will it still be possible to have these mods once the original GI bulbs are swapped on you new kit? I'm guessing the original sockets remain & get tied away (like on the MET install), so perhaps they can still be tapped into? Just curious.

#2056 7 days ago

Is TWD going to get a kit?

#2057 6 days ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is TWD going to get a kit?

Yes, but I can’t pin down a date.

#2058 6 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was also wondering on IM...
Many owners have the modded WarMachine & Whiplash figures with chest LEDs & the lighted whips that tap into the GI lighting, usually to a GI bulb near the figures. Will it still be possible to have these mods once the original GI bulbs are swapped on you new kit? I'm guessing the original sockets remain & get tied away (like on the MET install), so perhaps they can still be tapped into? Just curious.

Correct, original GI is tied away but still there. And if I do a complete replacement then there is no GI interceptor used and no interruptions to the standard GI. All mods so hooked up can remain unchanged.

#2059 5 days ago

Now THAT’S how you install a Total Lightshow kit! Nice work, Jason.

7178A518-E488-442E-A04B-1EC1140AF51E (resized).jpeg
#2060 5 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now THAT’S how you install a Total Lightshow kit! Nice work, Jason.
[quoted image]

Looks factory.

#2061 2 days ago

I think I've settled on the final configuration including what to do with the back board. There are only six GI bulbs back there, so replacing them with RGB is not going to achieve much. So, why don't we put in 28?

Factory GI will remain on the backboard and be controlled by the classic GI Interceptor so it can be dimmed when necessary. 28 addressable LEDs will go across the top of the backboard. They will give a big ass kick to the GI during normal play, but will then complete the theatrics when called upon.

Here are some vids (which are TOO colourful, yes) that don't represent what I want to do artistically. They are merely demonstrating the capabilities of the LEDs and indicating the coverage obtained.

The pattern rotation includes a straight plain white GI to give you an idea of how they do their basic job of illuminating the playfield.

First from above. The backboard LEDs are in place, but are nicely shielded from your eyes naturally by the cabinet. You can see them playing out on the backboard and playfield.

Detail of the backboard LEDs.

#2062 2 days ago

What a great solution. Great effects as well! Love the light zipping back & forth across the backboard (perhaps on a ramp or orbit shot). I'm sure the backboard bulb addition will add more time to your coding process, but it's infinitely worth it IMO.

The entire playfield looks very well lit at the end of that video with the white GI turned on. I just can't get over the lighting effects that are possible with this new kit. My jaw literally dropped watching this. And this video isn't even showcasing the lit ramps. Really loving how this is progressing

#2063 1 day ago

Plenty of places in IM where I can use fire. Flamethrower anyone?

Duelling flamethrowers..

#2064 1 day ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Plenty of places in IM where I can use fire. Flamethrower anyone?
Duelling flamethrowers..

Walking Dead?

#2065 1 day ago

It's gonna happen. Probably next actually. I was always going to do Star Trek. But I sold it. I can see no reason why TWD won't be back on the schedule straight after IM is done.

#2066 1 day ago

I think it's funny how many people just want you to finally do walking dead. I ended up getting a premium TWD because I couldn't wait any longer on your kit for the pro. Your work is highly in demand, obviously

#2067 1 day ago

It looks awesome - will any of this translate to Tron at all at some point? Is there much scope for this level of lighting within Tron?

#2068 1 day ago
Quoted from jorant:

I think it's funny how many people just want you to finally do walking dead. I ended up getting a premium TWD because I couldn't wait any longer on your kit for the pro. Your work is highly in demand, obviously

When I first proposed TWD it was crickets!

Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Is there much scope for this level of lighting within Tron?

Oh, my lordy, yes.

#2069 1 day ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It's gonna happen. Probably next actually. I was always going to do Star Trek. But I sold it. I can see no reason why TWD won't be back on the schedule straight after IM is done.

That wasn't a nudge for TWD Pro, I have great patience and good things come to those who wait, it was more that Walking Dead features flame throwers and that effect might suit it (might be the Premium spinners that did the Flame throwers though).

In all of this i'm personally not looking for mental LSD coloured effects, just appropriate lighting which has a striking and related impact on the gameplay. Overuse of the colour GI might water down the WOW factor affect it can have.

e.g. a blood red 'wash over & draining effect' from playfield top to bottom for BIT. The obvious HORDE red pulses.
TRON is a non-brainer, but GI could water down the Ramp fibres.

#2070 1 day ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Will you kit be designed to make the Pro like Prem/LE, or will it be your own unique light show?

#2071 1 day ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Oh, my lordy, yes.

Tron with your programmable GI and insert lighting effects is pretty much what God put you on Earth to do. I’ll happily wait as long as it takes maestro

#2072 1 day ago
Quoted from Damien:

Will you kit be designed to make the Pro like Prem/LE, or will it be your own unique light show?

My kits always aim to have at least the premium equivalent. TWD is a bit light on from factory, so it will have plenty of extra. I don't overdo it though and always stay classy. If there is anything a bit extreme it can always be optional and user-configurable via the DIP switches.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, PA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 63.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 92.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2072 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside