(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 47.
#1901 5 years ago

You continue to impress with your work on IM After seeing the progress so far, the changes you've made have been worth the wait! So excited to get started on this project

So I may have the term wrong, but from the video it looks like your new boards give you LED OCD fading control of the inserts, like Herg's board?

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I may have the term wrong, but from the video it looks like your new boards give you LED OCD fading control of the inserts, like Herg's board?

I have an LED OCD in my IM so I could keep the setting on incandescent to preserve the nice fades -- hopefully the Total Lightshow intervention can preserve that as well. Putting it on the spastic LED setting where everything is instant on/off makes me cry.

#1903 5 years ago

Still waiting on a walking dead total lightshow.

#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Putting it on the spastic LED setting where everything is instant on/off makes me cry.

I share you pain. We should form a democratic society & create a newsletter.

Seriously though; i really hate blinky bastard LEDs.

#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yes, plus the ability to possess the inserts, cutting out the machine’s control completely and controlling them with my own code, while still reading the signals being sent by the machine.

#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I have an LED OCD in my IM so I could keep the setting on incandescent to preserve the nice fades -- hopefully the Total Lightshow intervention can preserve that as well. Putting it on the spastic LED setting where everything is instant on/off makes me cry.

I will be able to apply OCD type control to each bulb. Technically it could just be used as an OCD alternative, but I won’t be offering it with that intention. Herg has that covered.

#1907 5 years ago

Your creativity is going to be put to the test now Really looking forward to seeing how you improve mode lighting effects from your previous videos.

#1908 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Your creativity is going to be put to the test now

I have already built tools that let me take photoshop bit maps and extract the RGB data and dump it straight into the lights. So it’s just a matter of lining up the playfield map with a pixel matrix. This means I can test patterns very quickly, allowing more time for being creative. Hope I can do it justice.

#1909 5 years ago

So you could really do anything you want now, like a quick wave of lights up the entire playfield after a bogey ramp shot, or a wave of green lights in circles pulsing outwards after a whiplash target hit. Awesome stuff.

Damn you have your work cut out for you, but you're really going to turn some heads with your effort!

Edit: Wait that would require clear plastics & RGBs in the inserts. My bad.

#1910 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So you could really do anything you want now, like a quick wave of lights up the entire playfield after a bogey ramp shot, or a wave of green lights in circles pulsing outwards after a whiplash target hit. Awesome stuff.
Damn you have your work cut out for you, but you're really going to turn some heads with your effort!

Full playfield RGB effects would be difficult with colored inserts, plus there's the fact that he's just controlling the existing insert lamps, not replacing them all with RGB bulbs ... at least not yet.

#1911 5 years ago

Here’s how I see colour working.

If I need to use a particular colour I will select the inserts already that colour and chop the others out.

For the clear inserts I’ll use an RGB support bulb, connected to the GI system.

#1913 5 years ago

That’s awesome! Please tell me you’re going to attack TWD with this kit next. Hitting the order button on a NIB this week and a killer lighshow mod would be awesome!

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

That’s awesome! Please tell me you’re going to attack TWD with this kit next. Hitting the order button on a NIB this week and a killer lighshow mod would be awesome!

I am definitely going to do TWD. Star Trek is next though.

#1915 5 years ago

On that new test video you'll notice that when all the patterns are playing together that the inserts all dim a little. In real life that appears as bad flicker (the individual patterns are butter). Which sucks pinballs. But fear not! I upgraded today to an Arduino Due, which is based on a 32 bit ARM cortex chip, and blows away the MEGA. Flicker gone. Back to butter.

Unfortunately, the Due is more expensive than the MEGA. It will add about $10 to the overall cost.

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Why not if you are talking about GI.
But I think you need to let inserts as it...even if some of them like drops and weapon insert could have been colorized...what I did with color paper.

#1917 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Why not if you are talking about GI.
But I think you need to let inserts as it...even if some of them like drops and weapon insert could have been colorized...what I did with color paper.

The inserts aren’t necessarily about colour. It’s about adding better effects.

#1918 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I am definitely going to do TWD. Star Trek is next though.

I owned a ST pro - light show is pretty good on that one by default. TWD pro is a joke compared to the prem. TWD might be more bang for your buck...

#1919 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I owned a ST pro - light show is pretty good on that one by default. TWD pro is a joke compared to the prem. TWD might be more bang for your buck...

Well that is true. I have always wanted to do ST because of the obvious mode colours and wanted to nail that KMB start where the pro is missing the laser. I also have a ST on site. I would have to buy TWD back in. O well, might as well do that then.

#1920 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well that is true. I have always wanted to do ST because of the obvious mode colours and wanted to nail that KMB start where the pro is missing the laser. I also have a ST on site. I would have to buy TWD back in. O well, might as well do that then.

So there's the rub. You dont have a TWD pro. The light mod on that would be a no brainer.

#1921 5 years ago

Just take a minute and a half to check out how good I've got the multiplexing working. This is a closeup video of a bunch of inserts all being independently controlled by the Due, via the standard 8x8 lamp matrix.

There's something up with the Extra Ball insert, but it looks like a one off. Everything else is like maple syrup.

At around the 50 second mark you can see a reflection of the DMD in the clearcoat. You can see the flicker in the DMD caused by the camera. NOTHING in the inserts.

Make sure you run it at 1080p.

#1922 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just take a minute and a half to check out how good I've got the multiplexing working. This is a closeup video of a bunch of inserts all being independently controlled by the Due, via the standard 8x8 lamp matrix.
There's something up with the Extra Ball insert, but it looks like a one off. Everything else is like maple syrup.
At around the 50 second mark you can see a reflection of the DMD in the clearcoat. You can see the flicker in the DMD caused by the camera. NOTHING in the inserts.
Make sure you run it at 1080p.
» YouTube video

Whoa! Smooth. Diff flash rates/timings on different inserts. Looks super nice. My Star Trek Pro is ready man! It stares at my Metallica (oh yea...Total Lightshow) & is jealous of its beauty.

#1923 5 years ago

Received my Total Lightshow for Metallica today and directly started implementing!

I also tried to do my best on keeping all the wires neatly organized. My OCD was too strong to resist.

I do break a sweat every time I need to disconnect a connector! They’re very firmly attached and I don’t want to bend the boards too much!

Removed the appropriate lamp sockets and now up for some hope drilling...

Looking forward too experience the end result!

Question: are these boards already flashed with the correct firmware and ready to go?

E8304CEA-6270-4A58-95F0-26C4F9999AF8 (resized).jpegE8304CEA-6270-4A58-95F0-26C4F9999AF8 (resized).jpeg
#1924 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Received my Total Lightshow for Metallica today and directly started implementing!
I also tried to do my best on keeping all the wires neatly organized. My OCD was too strong to resist.
I do break a sweat every time I need to disconnect a connector! They’re very firmly attached and I don’t want to bend the boards too much!
Removed the appropriate lamp sockets and now up for some hope drilling...
Looking forward too experience the end result!
Question: are these boards already flashed with the correct firmware and ready to go?

Nice install!
Yes, kits ship with most recent code. Plug and play.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, kits ship with most recent code. Plug and play.

Ok great so I probably never have to figure out how the update process works.

Works great and looks amazing!! I’m amazed how the red and blue compliment each other. I was a bit afraid that those colors would be too harsh.

I didn’t know that the wood of the playfield would be so soft. No real drilling required and just only a mark to get the screw going. I think you might add that to the instruction since I drilled right thru the playfield on the first try! This was next to a bulb right in the back so thankfully you won’t find that hole but I got a little heart attack for a second.

I haven’t installed the bottom lamps on top of the flippers yet.
I’ve found the additional cables and I assume only the two blues and reds are controlled? The whites won’t be connected to the Matrix board right?

Thanks again for your support and this GREAT mod!

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I didn’t know that the wood of the playfield would be so soft. No real drilling required and just only a mark to get the screw going. I think you might add that to the instruction since I drilled right thru the playfield on the first try! This was next to a bulb right in the back so thankfully you won’t find that hole but I got a little heart attack for a second.

That would give anyone heart palpitations! Just so I don't drill too deep, I take the bit and figure out how deep I want to drill by measuring up against the edge of the playfield. Then I mark that depth on the drill bit with painters tape. When drilling just don't go past the tape. Works for me

Congrats on the install. That's the single greatest mod you can do to a MET pro. You won't be disappointed!

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

The whites won’t be connected to the Matrix board right?

The whites are controlled along with the other factory whites via the GI Interceptor.

#1928 5 years ago

Hi,
Will a kit be for sale for IMVE?
Thanks

#1929 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I completed the MET inlane install yesterday. It really adds to the overall package, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is buying the Total Lightshow Kit. Even though you're only adding two extra colored lights on each side, it creates a big impact because of the proximity to the flippers. You do have to remove the right flipper mech, but other than that it's a pretty straightforward install ...

Looks great! I'm waiting for the metal guides I ordered from Marco's to do the extended mod as well.

I do think you've used the 'incorrect' order of the colors at your flippers. According to Sterns documentation the premium has them in order: red, blue and white. I've updates Mike's instructional images with the updated socket dropout and new placement locations.

MetProGIDrop (resized).jpgMetProGIDrop (resized).jpgMetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpgMetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi,
Will a kit be for sale for IMVE?
Thanks

Yes. That is up next. It will showcase all the capabilities I have been developing in this thread. 32 controlled RGB GI bulbs, controlled inserts, optic fiber ramps, drop targets.

I have settled on I2C as the platform and am currently still making sure all the hardware works as it should. For the last few days I have been working on getting the cabling right as I2C becomes flaky once cable lengths increase. Running normal hook up wire from under the playfield to the back box was killing the whole system I solved that issue by using cat6 data cabling and all is smooth again. But expect the unexpected with the development of this kit, as I am shooting very high and there are many things to get right in order to get it out publicly.

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Looks great! I'm waiting for the metal guides I ordered from Marco's to do the extended mod as well.
I do think you've used the 'incorrect' order of the colors at your flippers. According to Sterns documentation the premium has them in order: red, blue and white. I've updates Mike's instructional images with the updated socket dropout and new placement locations.

Don’t get too cocky! Once you get those flipper plates off and see the poor job stern did on the GI sockets in the factory; you may rethink it! I just got them fitted and working, rather than worry too much

I aimed for:
|__ R B W \\ o // W B R _|

But once i found their hack job i opted for:
|__ W B R \\ o // R B W _|

All using frosted 2SMD Comet bulbs.

#1932 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Don’t get too cocky! Once you get those flipper plates off and see the poor job stern did on the GI sockets in the factory; you may rethink it! I just got them fitted and working, rather than worry too much
I aimed for:
|__ R B W \\ o // W B R |
But once i found their hack job i opted for:
|__ W B R \\ o // R B W |
All using frosted 2SMD Comet bulbs.

I’m sorry I didn’t intended to come across as cocky. So you are aware of the order difference. Thanks for providing those details. You’re right, I haven’t removed these protective covers yet.

Now I’m wondering what this mess will look like.

#1933 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

32 controlled RGB GI bulbs, controlled inserts, optic fiber ramps, drop targets.

Individually each one of those features is outstanding. The fact you are doing all four at once with this kit release is mind blowing. You are going to turn so many heads with this IM release. Glad you are taking your time to playtest & make it the best it can be.

When I finally do manage to get this IM kit installed, I'm really looking forward to taking it to shows to let other pinheads enjoy my "IMVEmium". Props to Timebandit of course for making it all possible

#1934 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I’m sorry I didn’t intended to come across as cocky.

It's a British way of saying; slow down a minute, or don't get ahead of yourself!

Your machine might be different, but the extra rewiring work required to make my Pro LED 'as per the Premium' rather than just 'nearly the same as the Premium' was more than i could be bothered with!

#1935 5 years ago

Right, I've got the hardware all worked out. Here's a quick video with a walk through of the prototype system so you can start to get a feel for what needs to be installed and how easy it will be.

This is just a quick video showing all GI bulbs and inserts being driven at once through my system. (Just evidence that it all works )

#1936 5 years ago

Here are some pics of the insert interceptors.."Inserteceptors"?? They combine the PWM driver and termination resistors. Cat6/7 cables back to the mothership. Insert LED power can come from the Matrix Interceptor board (which is ultimately drawing from the 12V rail).
IMG_0870 (resized).jpgIMG_0870 (resized).jpgIMG_0871 (resized).jpgIMG_0871 (resized).jpgIMG_0872 (resized).jpgIMG_0872 (resized).jpgIMG_0873 (resized).jpgIMG_0873 (resized).jpgIMG_0874 (resized).jpgIMG_0874 (resized).jpgIMG_0875 (resized).jpgIMG_0875 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1937 5 years ago

Just a small FYI for those patiently waiting on development updates. I lost a few days last week by being a knucklehead, and have had to re-do my prototype lamp driver interceptor. The return one is fine but I made a small mistake on the implementation of the p-channel fets on the drive board.

Just assume the last two weeks or so are a complete write off. Bummer, but still moving ahead.

#1938 5 years ago

Question about the Sound Caller daughterboard. Anyway to use it in conjunction with a SmartDMD that is using Serial Side-Channel?

#1939 5 years ago

Heads up for Met Pro owners looking to add the rising cross mech. Marco just started stocking a more reasonably priced ($150) assembly. The original full assembly is $250. Looks like it comes as a collection of the parts and is unassembled. There is no photo on the Marco store, but the part number checks out against the manual..
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7471-00

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Question about the Sound Caller daughterboard. Anyway to use it in conjunction with a SmartDMD that is using Serial Side-Channel?

Depends on which way the SmartDMD is talking. Mine is only TX to the machine. So, if it was on a splitter, messages out from the machine would go to both add-ons and just be ignored by mine. If the SmartDMD talks to the machine at the same time as the sound caller talks to the machine, then the signal would be turned to garbage.

#1941 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Heads up for Met Pro owners looking to add the rising cross mech. Marco just started stocking a more reasonably priced ($150) assembly. The full assembly is $250. Looks like it comes as a collection of the parts and is unassembled. There is no photo on the Marco store, but the part number checks out against the manual..
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7471-00

This might get a bit of action now. I am going to re-design my Q24/20V knocker tap to switch and power the cross mech motor, with a drive signal coming as it currently does from the TLS MI. Should be ready next week sometime. This is a better solution than stepping up the MI output as is the current method of the hard core modders putting the mech in.

#1942 5 years ago

Now, there IS a small issue with the screws that hold your cross to the bracket. If you take your pro cross out and put it on the premium mech bracket, the three screws that hold it in place stick out too far and foul the movement. The screws on the premium cross are undercut and have a very shallow head. We’ll see how easy they are for people to get, but maybe I’ll stock up and supply them. Being metric down here though gets in the way a bit of getting hold of specialty screws.

#1943 5 years ago

Also can’t tell if the assembly comes wired or not. Guess I’ll buy one and check it out. If I need to knock up a cable harness I will.

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Also can’t tell if the assembly comes wired or not. Guess I’ll buy one and check it out. If I need to knock up a cable harness I will.

After I sent you the info, I put an order in with Marco. I should have it later this week and will post more details.

#1945 5 years ago

This is all great, I love the banter, but can we all focus on Total Lightshow for Walking Dead Pro now please....

Thank you.

#1946 5 years ago

This is all great, I love the banter, but can we all focus on Total Lightshow for Walking Dead Pro now please....
Thank you.

Tell you what. If you make a list of the premium GI effects that you want included, I will try to find the triggers on YouTube videos and code it without having an actual machine. I should be able to do that, and it will just require a bit of testing and reporting back by the early adopters. Things like outlane drain effects I will include from my stock library.

Consider it to be full RGB, so you can get a bit creative too if you like.

#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Tell you what. If you make a list of the premium GI effects that you want included, I will try to find the triggers on YouTube videos and code it without having an actual machine. I should be able to do that, and it will just require a bit of testing and reporting back by the early adopters. Things like outlane drain effects I will include from my stock library.

Done deal!

Should I assume all GI will be replaced with an RGB capable and addressable bulb?

#1948 5 years ago

Done deal!
Should I assume all GI will be replaced with an RGB capable and addressable bulb?

Yes, except the backboard. Those stapled-on factory GI sockets are no fun to remove, and don’t give you much of a pick up. Do anything with any bulb you like. Also don’t feel like you have to get everything first go. Anything can always be thrown in later.

#1949 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Depends on which way the SmartDMD is talking. Mine is only TX to the machine. So, if it was on a splitter, messages out from the machine would go to both add-ons and just be ignored by mine. If the SmartDMD talks to the machine at the same time as the sound caller talks to the machine, then the signal would be turned to garbage.

I will ping oga83 to see what he thinks... I'd have to think the chance for collision is pretty high particularly if there is a sound call for each rotation of the spinner. We will see. There isa different side channel method I could use for the SmartDMD, so I could reconfigure that... the discovery of this cross-mech is making me want to try this even more. Marco has recently gotten the Pro plastics back in stock. I am going to order a set of those so I can undo this mod if I decide to sell the MET in the future and return the game back to normal state.

And I'm late to the game... the Grave Marker kit is sold out on Marco's site.

#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

When this becomes available, I'm so in on this!!!

Thanks for all the work you do!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/39?hl=ian720 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.