(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 47.
#1851 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

... And TWD. That would be even better!

Demand seems to be swelling. I’ll have to pick up where I left off.

#1852 6 years ago

Can't wait to see what you have in store for Star Trek!

#1853 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Can't wait to see what you have in store for Star Trek!

Didn't you sell yours?

Thought about trading my LE for something.

#1854 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Didn't you sell yours?
Thought about trading my LE for something.

Couldn't do it. I had a weak "Iron Maiden" moment.

Ended up selling some other things instead.

#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Couldn't do it. I had a weak "Iron Maiden" moment.
Ended up selling some other things instead.

STLE was the last Stern game I bought when it came out. I can wait till they get the games good to buy now. Iron Maiden has promise, will be better off waiting.

#1856 6 years ago

Well, here's the board that has 30 RGB outputs. It consists of six PCA9685 drivers that plug into the red board.

Each PCA9685 has 16 pwm outputs and the drivers are available individually for a few bucks.
20180418_011206 (resized).jpg20180418_011206 (resized).jpg
20180418_011223 (resized).jpg20180418_011223 (resized).jpg
The outputs from them won't drive the common anode LEDs properly, so I made the red board to convert the high side switching to low side. And, of course, to group 90 outputs into 30 convenient RGB outputs that are arranged with a power line so that bulbs can be plugged straight in. All the current limiting resistors are already on the board, so raw LEDs can be connected without getting blown up.
20180418_011127 (resized).jpg20180418_011127 (resized).jpg
20180418_011243 (resized).jpg20180418_011243 (resized).jpg
20180418_011432 (resized).jpg20180418_011432 (resized).jpg
It also does a nice job of housing all the drivers in one neat board, and is, itself, able to be daisy chained. There is literally the ability to drive three hundred RGB bulbs here.
20180418_011458 (resized).jpg20180418_011458 (resized).jpg
The board will mount under the playfield and jumpers will simply go out to the bulbs. Very simple to wire. I'll get some more pics up tomorrow of the whole kit.

Now back to working on the code.

#1857 6 years ago

Whoa! That board is gonna be able to do some BIG things! Please get cranking on a badass TWD lightshow! This will prompt me to go out and buy one IMMEDIATELY and add this kit! I can already hear the Wife screaming at me lol.

#1858 6 years ago

WOW is right! I can only imagine what you're going to come up with for Iron Man with these boards. This is definitely worth the wait

#1859 6 years ago

Bravo!!! Would these mount on like 8 inch standoffs horizontally under playfield to allow exisitng wiring and mechs to exist under it.

Or are u thinking vertically hanging off back of the playfield where it woukd hang down a bit and be in a consistant place from game to game?

How does this connnect with TLS main board?

TAKE MY MONEY!

#1860 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Bravo!!! Would these mount on like 8 inch standoffs horizontally under playfield to allow exisitng wiring and mechs to exist under it.
Or are u thinking vertically hanging off back of the playfield where it woukd hang down a bit and be in a consistant place from game to game?

Probably like this..straight down vertically from the centre of the playfield, using vertical pcb mount guides. Depends on the game and how much room there is. Vertically it will fit anywhere. Very elegant solution.

28B1AE2B-09DA-444D-A952-74911F626C6D (resized).jpeg28B1AE2B-09DA-444D-A952-74911F626C6D (resized).jpeg

#1861 6 years ago

Here is the whole system. Matrix Interceptor out through its comms board into Arduino mega with custom shield then out to the 30 output board (for which I don’t have a cool name yet).

C59AEFDE-DB0F-454B-B3E0-16E1E9B3B5EA (resized).jpegC59AEFDE-DB0F-454B-B3E0-16E1E9B3B5EA (resized).jpeg

1453B7BD-D3CD-4722-A5FC-21F1C5973423 (resized).jpeg1453B7BD-D3CD-4722-A5FC-21F1C5973423 (resized).jpeg

#1862 6 years ago

heres some ideas playing on roman numerals and the 30 connections

RGBXXX
XXXRGB
or just XXX

hehe

Or geek it up some and go hexadecimal for 30 (1E)

RGBLED1E

I dunno, nothing awesome, just some suggestions.

#1865 5 years ago

You can literally do anything with that. It’s extremley impressive.

Since you’ll be free to come up with any lighting effects you can think of, actually coding IM might be the hardest part. Do you have any ideas how you’re going to code the bulbs for each mode, in conjunction with the ramp lighting? For example, GI bulb colors running in series up the playfield like runway landing lights during Bogey mode? Sparkle effects with monger hits? There’s so much potential here. Seems like a daunting (but fun) task to complete. Hope you don’t get sidetracked

#1866 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hope you don’t get sidetracked

This project is DOING all the sidetracking!

#1867 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Do you have any ideas how you’re going to code the bulbs for each mode

Too many ideas, lol.

The main thing I’m working on at the moment is memory management in the MCU. I have to make sure all the fundamentals to support it are in place before getting too involved in the creative bit.

#1868 5 years ago

Just testing how complicated I can get things. This is a constant flickering blue background, with a red, anticlockwise rotation concurrent with a green, clockwise rotation. I'm pretty sure now I can get just about anything done. I have to now clean up the communication between the main board and the expansion module, plus tweak my hardware design a little.

#1869 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just testing how complicated I can get things.

AMAZING!!

#1870 5 years ago

Here are those test patterns transferred from the bench into the machine.

#1871 5 years ago

Every factory GI bulb is out except the two spots and the back board row.

I mounted each new bulb with a rubber ring for shock and stability purposes.
IMG_0781 (resized).jpgIMG_0781 (resized).jpg
IMG_0782 (resized).jpgIMG_0782 (resized).jpg

It was ridiculously easy to drop the new bulbs in the old holes.
And this time I am going straight for the inlanes. No mucking around.
IMG_0783 (resized).jpgIMG_0783 (resized).jpg
Super easy to put these bulbs in under the flipper mechs. Just bend the headers over and, voila.
IMG_0785 (resized).jpgIMG_0785 (resized).jpg
IMG_0787 (resized).jpgIMG_0787 (resized).jpg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpgIMG_0784 (resized).jpg

#1872 5 years ago

Check out my super-genius mounting position for the distribution board!
IMG_0789 (resized).jpgIMG_0789 (resized).jpg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpgIMG_0790 (resized).jpg
IMG_0788 (resized).jpgIMG_0788 (resized).jpg
IMG_0791 (resized).jpgIMG_0791 (resized).jpg

Arduino in place..
IMG_0793 (resized).jpgIMG_0793 (resized).jpg

Jumpers to bulbs connected and tied..
IMG_0792 (resized).jpgIMG_0792 (resized).jpg

Shield fitted to Arduino and power-up..
IMG_0795 (resized).jpgIMG_0795 (resized).jpg

Wide shot..(sorry about the focus )
IMG_0796 (resized).jpgIMG_0796 (resized).jpg

View through the coin door..
IMG_0797 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpg

#1873 5 years ago

I love the amount of thought you put into every aspect of your kits! I can't wait to hopefully install one in our Star Trek Pro someday.

-Jeff (proud owner of a Metallica Pro w/TLS & spinners!!!)

#1874 5 years ago

The possibilities are endless with this new setup

#1875 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And this time I am going straight for the inlanes. No mucking around

Damn right!

#1877 5 years ago

Man I’m getting really excited now! I’ll make sure I have plenty of zip ties on hand

#1878 5 years ago

Here's a big test. This is the first test of the GI module responding to signals generated by the machine. The previous machine test was just pre-coded test patterns rotating to show what it looked like in the machine.

This test is in attract mode. I have locked a bunch of the GI bulbs to nearby inserts. While the attract patterns are animated around the playfield, the GI mimics the inserts. When the insert behaviour changes to group flashing, the GI senses the new behaviour and goes to a static full white. This will give you a taste for how natural the machine looks in full white, plus the capabilities of the setup when it gets moving.

I have messed around a lot with this prototype board, so a bunch of fets are blown and not every colour on every bulb works properly. I have thirty bulbs in there all able to be driven, but a few aren't included in this test.

#1879 5 years ago

TimeBandit I'm working my through all your threads and amazed at what you've accomplished. I picked up a MET Pro recently and I'm considering the Total Light Show kit. There were previous posts that said there was a 'pinside' discount, is that still available? Or is the pricing on the site current?

#1880 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Check out my super-genius mounting position for the distribution board!

There is no issue with the magnet being so close?

#1881 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

There were previous posts that said there was a 'pinside' discount, is that still available? Or is the pricing on the site current?

Wondering this as well! I want a Met Pro mium as well!

#1882 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

timebandit I'm working my through all your threads and amazed at what you've accomplished. I picked up a MET Pro recently and I'm considering the Total Light Show kit. There were previous posts that said there was a 'pinside' discount, is that still available? Or is the pricing on the site current?

Quoted from Koos:

Wondering this as well! I want a Met Pro mium as well!

Glad you like it! That pricing was launch pricing a couple of years ago.

#1883 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There is no issue with the magnet being so close?

Nope, nothing to worry about.

#1884 5 years ago

Pretty seamless transition from statics to patterns. Looks great so far. I'm really curious what effects you're planning on coding for the various modes, and how the RGB GI ties in with the ramp lighting. Will be something special

#1885 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Will be something special

Hope so. I'm going to tie my apron inserts to the ramps as well.

I think that experimentation will be everything. Regardless of what ideas I have they will have to look good to get used. For this to work, the effects have to be energetic and interesting, but also tasteful. I think I have a reasonably well developed sense of taste with lighting, and will always be thinking of the overall machine, and not just throwing something in because I thought of it.

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

For this to work, the effects have to be energetic and interesting, but also tasteful. I think I have a reasonably well developed sense of taste with lighting, and will always be thinking of the overall machine, and not just throwing something in because I thought of it.

Agree.

Put yourself in Stern's shoes and think - if this was the Premium or LE model, what would we do that was cost effective, but also looks 'premium' and adds an extra element of coolness? (don't forget to remove it from the Pro though, naturally).

With MET, AC/DC & TWD (as examples) there's something to benchmark against with the Prem/LE, but for IM & SM (other examples) you have a blank canvas & free rein. The world is your RGB oyster.

#1887 5 years ago

Just a quick look with the ramps turned back on..

#1888 5 years ago

My ten year old daughter populating her first board.

06569DA1-7DC4-45B0-ACA7-C86367280B42 (resized).jpeg06569DA1-7DC4-45B0-ACA7-C86367280B42 (resized).jpeg

#1889 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My ten year old daughter populating her first board.

I miss those days when I could do close work like that without using a magnifying head set.

#1890 5 years ago

For those running drop targets in AC/DC, I have updated the code to work better with the latest update of the machine's code. It works better with the previous AC/DC code as well.

You can download directly using this link without having to visit my website..

https://redshiftled.com.au/resources/Total_Lightshow_Game_Code/ACDC/Pinball.hex

#1891 5 years ago

It's taken me all week to get the damn flicker out of the full playfield colour fade cycle, but it's out. This thing is as smooth as a 50 yr old single malt, mixed with warm caramel butter, sliding over an oiled teflon ball bearing.

The iPhone of course doesn't pick up the whole colour spectrum. But a lot of different colours are gone through in this cycle.

Lots of hardware updates with a full board redesign as well during the week, which will make it cheaper. And I also squeezed two more bulbs into it. It now drives 32.

I think I finally have all the fundamentals in place properly and can now concentrate fully on game code again.

#1892 5 years ago

I have just put up a 2 minute video of how to prepare the fiber optic ramp clips to make them really tidy once installed. And you should watch it, because for the first time in three years I talk in it!! Haha.

#1894 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And you should watch it, because for the first time in three years I talk in it!! Haha.

Holy shit! Your Australian!!!

1 week later
#1895 5 years ago

Sneak peak! Total Lighthshow now does inserts.

While doing the game code for Iron Man I wasn't happy with the way the inserts were interacting with the controlled GI. Well I think I've fixed that. I can now selectively intercept and control the inserts as well. I now control every light on the playfield, so effects can be more fully choreographed.

The game will still control the inserts for information purposes, but playfield sweeps etc are going to be done by me. And a whole heap of new patterns are going in there.

This has of course held up Iron Man a bit, but I think whenever Iron Man gets held up it's for something that will be worth the wait.

#1896 5 years ago

This is going to cost me a bunch of money.

#1897 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This is going to cost me a bunch of money.

The great thing is that adding the ability to control the inserts will only add about $20-30 to the overall cost of a kit. Maybe less.

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

While doing the game code for Iron Man I wasn't happy with the way the inserts were interacting with the controlled GI. Well I think I've fixed that. I can now selectively intercept and control the inserts as well. I now control every light on the playfield, so effects can be more fully choreographed.
The game will still control the inserts for information purposes, but playfield sweeps etc are going to be done by me. And a whole heap of new patterns are going in there.
This has of course held up Iron Man a bit, but I think whenever Iron Man gets held up it's for something that will be worth the wait.
» YouTube video

Soooo nice!!

Any chance you will work on IMDN some day? I’d like to see the premium Lightshow from that game on a Pro as well!

#1899 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The great thing is that adding the ability to control the inserts will only add about $20-30 to the overall cost of a kit. Maybe less.

Yeah, but I don't have a kit in my IM yet - just Metallica.

#1900 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This is amazing stuff! I can't fathom how many hours you must have put into all this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.