(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 7 votes
    14%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    65%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.
#1801 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Damn I got too excited. No IronMan lightshow kits yet???

Dev time has stretched just a little as I have to redo a lot of code to cope with the fact there are two different insert behaviours being the original and VE.

#1802 6 years ago

I was thinking something like the pin stadium lighting kit (assuming it can be made to change colors on demand) might be cool to drive from the total light show board. Maybe that would revive the work you had put into SM/SMVE. If I remember correctly that stalled out cause the expense of programmable leds you had developed. Maybe the code you had for recognizing the modes could be used to drive pin stadium to make the blue for venom, yellow for sandman etc.

Just a thought, may still be too expensive? Dunno.

#1803 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I was thinking something like the pin stadium lighting kit (assuming it can be made to change colors on demand) might be cool to drive from the total light show board. Maybe that would revive the work you had put into SM/SMVE. If I remember correctly that stalled out cause the expense of programmable leds you had developed. Maybe the code you had for recognizing the modes could be used to drive pin stadium to make the blue for venom, yellow for sandman etc.
Just a thought, may still be too expensive? Dunno.

Yes indeed. I’m developing an adapter now to drive common anode LEDs, such as the p-roc RGB GI. My drive system is high side switched so I have to use common cathode LEDs. That same adapter will be able to go somewhere between my outputs and LED strips commonly used for rail lighting.

#1804 6 years ago

IMO driving "pinstadium" type lighting to wash the playfield with changing red/blue/yellow overall lighting sounds terrible. There are quite a few people out there who don't even like that type of lighting. Probably not worth it.

I think finding a way to use the P-Roc RGB GI bulbs is the way to go. After seeing them firsthand on TNA, they are really impressive & would suit your needs perfectly.

1 week later
#1805 6 years ago

Quick update for those waiting on IM. Code is done for both original and VE. Most of it is the same as previous demos so I won't bother with new videos. Over the next couple of days I will be finalising the bulb positioning and ordering the harnesses from my wiring guy. They are a couple of weeks turn. So, should be available mid April.

Tomorrow I hope to demo full RGB GI on my Tron. I have the p-roc bulbs working.

#1806 6 years ago

First look at Tron with RGB GI. Dual zone, so left and right can be different colours. A must for LCMB of course.

This is using the p-roc GI bulbs as used in TNA. I still have to tweak a few things in the hardware. I haven't put any time into resistor values, so the colour balance isn't perfect yet. I'd like the red to be a little brighter, so the full white warms up just a touch.

Enjoy.

Edit-- These lights aren't hooked up properly and are running about 50% brightness. I'm leaving the video here for comparison. Proper video a few posts down.

#1807 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

First look at Tron with RGB GI. Dual zone, so left and right can be different colours. A must for LCMB of course.
This is using the p-roc GI bulbs as used in TNA. I still have to tweak a few things in the hardware. I haven't put any time into resistor values, so the colour balance isn't perfect yet. I'd like the red to be a little brighter, so the full white warms up just a touch.
Enjoy.
» YouTube video

Looking cool, as ever

#1808 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Enjoy.
» YouTube video

That is awesome! My favorite part is after the ball drains and it individually goes through the different center inserts with the GI color matching them. I might want to do this mod if it becomes available. I thought you were limited to 8 outputs, but with 3 outputs used per ramp and 3 per RGB GI side I am seeing at least 12 outputs being used?

#1809 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I thought you were limited to 8 outputs, but with 3 outputs used per ramp and 3 per RGB GI side I am seeing at least 12 outputs being used?

Good catch. I'm using stacked Matrix Interceptors. Not really an efficient way to get the end result. In the end I will use the output for the sound caller to send a signal to a smaller light driving board, maybe even a p-roc.

I'm not really there with the brightness of these bulbs. They're adding colour, but not enough illumination. I'll see if I can drive them a bit harder.

#1810 6 years ago

Excellent work! I can’t wait to get a Metallica pro to install your mod. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for walking dead!

#1811 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Enjoy.
» YouTube video

That looks great. How much for this? Same with the drop targets.

I have a MET pro with TLS and it's so impressive. Actually played a Premium recently (hammer missed the ball again) and the light show was not as good. No joke.

#1812 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

and the light show was not as good.

Thanks for noticing! Yeah, I've added a few touches in there that aren't in the premium.

Quoted from delt31:

How much for this? Same with the drop targets.

Still a bit of development to go yet. I have more hardware to build as well. I'm still MacGyvering a few things together. Drop target hook up kits are on the web store already. I don't supply drop mechs though. Marco or PBL.

#1813 6 years ago

That first video will look pretty lame after the one I'm about to put up. I wasn't running the lights properly, but I've rigged it up right now and holy shatz it's bright. These TNA bulbs are the answer. Spider Man might be back on the cards!

#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Thanks for noticing! Yeah, I've added a few touches in there that aren't in the premium.

Still a bit of development to go yet. I have more hardware to build as well. I'm still MacGyvering a few things together. Drop target hook up kits are on the web store already. I don't supply drop mechs though. Marco or PBL.

Thanks. Unless I'm reading wrong - seems like 4 bank drop target is 200+? damn....

#1816 6 years ago

I'll just leave this here. Tron in all its glory!

#1817 5 years ago

Here is an updated Tron code in which I have made the ramps and GI more independent. The first video was done as soon as I hooked it up, and to get it going quickly I had the same code running on the GI as the ramps. I feel this made the effects too concentrated. Here I have unlocked them from each other and I think it makes a dramatic improvement.

For example, in LCMB, the GI is not included in the intense ramp-hit flash. The GI continues the blue/yellow smooth cross fade while the ramps do the flashing. More subtle, while remaining immersive and interesting.

I also have the inlane factory GI bulbs back in. They are the only original GI bulbs left. You can see how great the p-roc bulbs are when compared to the super bright twin SMD factory bulbs. I think the RGB bulbs are hitting about 95% of these super-brights' levels.

Better photography too, with a more balanced feel to the lighting across the playfield.

#1818 5 years ago

TB - my man! Amazing work on Tron.

I realize this is an outdated question and you've moved on, but in Metallica, is the GI lighting effect when the snake hisses on a shot to the snake supposed to be delayed about a half second? I don't have a Premium to compare it to. Seemed off at first but now that your kit has been out for a while now and nobody has said anything and no new code to correct it, I figured maybe the timing is off on the Premium/LE too?

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

TB - my man! Amazing work on Tron.
I realize this is an outdated question and you've moved on, but in Metallica, is the GI lighting effect when the snake hisses on a shot to the snake supposed to be delayed about a half second? I don't have a Premium to compare it to. Seemed off at first but now that your kit has been out for a while now and nobody has said anything and no new code to correct it, I figured maybe the timing is off on the Premium/LE too?

Very observant of you. I’m continually impressed by, and also anxious of, the level of attention to detail of the pinball crowd. I guess split second timing is our thing, so we are constantly aware of the timing of interactions of everything.

Anyway, firstly, it’s an extra effect that is not on the Premium. Hence the lack of comparison. Secondly, yes it is delayed. Part of the effect trigger is a requirement that the snake light is flashing. So it needs to have the snake light go on, then off, then on again to define “flashing”. And this takes about, you guessed it, half a second.

I reckon I can probably change the trigger to remove the flashing requirement. I’m a LOT better at defining triggers now than I was back then. I’ll have a look at it over the weekend and see if it can be tightened up.

#1820 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I reckon I can probably change the trigger to remove the flashing requirement. I’m a LOT better at defining triggers now than I was back then. I’ll have a look at it over the weekend and see if it can be tightened up.

All done. New code available..

https://redshiftled.com.au/Downloads.php

#1821 5 years ago

Holy sh*t. Wow. Dude....you are the man.

#1822 5 years ago

Oops, that was a little hasty of me. It's interfering with the MBs. I'll have another version up in an hour or so. I know what's up.

#1824 5 years ago

Having built my adapter to run the RGB p-roc bulbs, I can now drive any LED. So if you are into rail lighting, you can integrate that into Total Lightshow. Here is a video of a Pinstadium rail hooked up. It is only fitted to one side, so you can compare it to the RGB GI on the other side.

#1825 5 years ago

Can you confirm what is needed to get this GI update on tron? Spoon feed here - thanks. I currently have the Eli ramp mod.

#1826 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can you confirm what is needed to get this GI update on tron? Spoon feed here - thanks. I currently have the Eli ramp mod.

You will need a Total Lightshow kit. Similar to the Metallica kit. It will come with everything except the RGB bullbs, which you can get from Pinball Life. The actual kit isn't available yet, as I still have to finish building components.

It will install independently of your ramp lighting, so you will have RGB ramps, and RGB GI, but they won't talk to each other. BUT, I could do a code version that is sympathetic to the Eli kit effects.

I believe there was an adapter built once for the Eli kit that output the ramp colours so you could hook it up to speaker lights. It is possible, if this was built again that you could cut my full kit out, and use that adapter to drive the GI bulbs, and use my distribution hardware to hook it up. I think it was Herg who built it. Not sure of the probablility of that happening.

Later next week, when I have built all my hardware, I will detail it here, with pics, piece by piece explaining the hookup.

#1827 5 years ago

OK thank - wasn't sure if I missed something.

#1828 5 years ago

Here's a pretty significant update on hardware. I am now using my sound caller board as a serial comms device to talk to an Arduino Mega. This means I now have unlimited expansion capability and can drive many more outputs. With one mega I can have 13 more PWM outputs which is enough for four more channels of RGB. The first use of this will be to drive four channels of RGB GI in IM. The full IM setup will have the following control..

Main board..
1 RGB channel (using 3 outputs) for ramp optics,
1 x left drop bank,
1 x right drop bank,
1 x GI interceptor (to drive remaining factory GI)

Expansion board..
4 x RGB channels (using 12 outputs) for GI.

And there are still two spare outputs left on the main board.

The best thing about this is how cheap it is. I can get a Mega clone for about $10. This won't add significantly to the price of kits.

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here's a pretty significant update on hardware. I am now using my sound caller board as a serial comms device to talk to an Arduino Mega. This means I now have unlimited expansion capability and can drive many more outputs. With one mega I can have 13 more PWM outputs which is enough for four more channels of RGB. The first use of this will be to drive four channels of RGB GI in IM. The full IM setup will have the following control..
Main board..
1 RGB channel (using 3 outputs) for ramp optics,
1 x left drop bank,
1 x right drop bank,
1 x GI interceptor (to drive remaining factory GI)
Expansion board..
4 x RGB channels (using 12 outputs) for GI.
And there are still two spare outputs left on the main board.
The best thing about this is how cheap it is. I can get a Mega clone for about $10. This won't add significantly to the price of kits.

Impressive.... Most impressive

#1830 5 years ago

You should try to integrate the servo control on the arduino mega. I can send you my ardunio code that I used to control them if you want it (super simple code). Maybe you can make a more elegant solution for the light cycle wheelie mods than I have.

You could also use a servo to add control for a Recognizer that moves back and forth in a Pro.

I've tested with these two types:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6C66ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TOLCPW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#1831 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

You should try to integrate the servo control on the arduino mega. I can send you my ardunio code that I used to control them if you want it (super simple code). Maybe you can make a more elegant solution for the light cycle wheelie mods than I have.
You could also use a servo to add control for a Recognizer that moves back and forth in a Pro.
I've tested with these two types:
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »

Yes, great idea. I can literally do anything now. I will probably go down a whole new set of rabbit holes of non-productive output, haha. I have to be careful to stay on track with one project at a time.

One possibility that does open up a bit is that I can pass through all my switch and lamp events to the Arduino. The Matrix Interceptor now becomes something that anyone can put into any (SAM)machine and code themselves by coding the Arduino. I will just bombard the Arduino with switch and lamp events over serial and an end user can do what they want with them. Just like you have been doing with the video screen.

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

rabbit holes of non-productive output

Man, that should be my signature.

#1833 5 years ago

About to do the MET Pro (LED) Total Lightshow install....

9x Red, Blue & White #555 Bulbs - check (Comet 2SMD frosted).
Matrix interceptor board installed downstream of the LEDOCD board - check (cables still to be tidied up).
Latest TL code for MET downloaded, from post #1820 above - check.
16mm clear heatshrink to keep bulbs in place - ordered.
Prem/LE lane guide installed, with the 3 holes, plus the extra cables from TimeBandit - check

Does anyone have any tips for the inlane bulb placement? Which bulbs do you remove? Any particular order e.g. red outer, white middle, blue inner, etc.? Not sure what the Prem/LE does (could easily look).

...and finally, is the rising cross add-on worth it!?

IMG_9837 (resized).JPGIMG_9837 (resized).JPG

IMG_9838 (resized).JPGIMG_9838 (resized).JPG

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

.and finally, is the rising cross add-on worth it!?

I don't think so at full retail pricing. Someone somewhere has to make a version of this. I keep trying, but I can't crack the manufacturing barrier on it. I have it in mine, and I love it, but it was a tax deductible development cost for me,.

#1835 5 years ago

the LEDOCD board - check

So is the LEDOCD advised to use in conjunction with Total Lightshow? I own a Met Pro LED version and I assumed that the LEDOCD board was only advised to be used in older game wich don't support LED's natively. This board emulates a glowing flashing of the LED's like incandescent bulbs right?

And based on your pictures I assume it's no problem to use these two products together?

#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

'Spider Man might be back on the cards!

SMVE!

#1837 5 years ago

About to do the MET Pro (LED) Total Lightshow install....
9x Red, Blue & White #555 Bulbs - check (Comet 2SMD frosted).
Matrix interceptor board installed downstream of the LEDOCD board - check (cables still to be tidied up).
Latest TL code for MET downloaded, from post #1820 above - check.
16mm clear heatshrink to keep bulbs in place - ordered.
Prem/LE lane guide installed, with the 3 holes, plus the extra cables from timebandit - check
Does anyone have any tips for the inlane bulb placement? Which bulbs do you remove? Any particular order e.g. red outer, white middle, blue inner, etc.? Not sure what the Prem/LE does (could easily look).
...and finally, is the rising cross add-on worth it!?

I did it on mine . I installed in the same order than slingshot, blue red and white.
Sorry for the pic that is not focused on inlanes

6511FAD3-FBA7-467D-BC6E-E78823E1860D (resized).jpeg6511FAD3-FBA7-467D-BC6E-E78823E1860D (resized).jpeg

#1838 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

it's no problem to use these two products together?

They can be used together, but the OCD board must be put first in the chain, and terminating resistor boards must be removed.

#1839 5 years ago

Just so you know I’m not sitting on my butt doing nothing, here is what eight channels of RGB control for GI looks like.

But it is already obsolete. I am waiting on a board back that I have made with 30 channels, so I will be individually controlling every bulb. Total Lightshow kits from now on will be total GI replacement kits (yes, including inlanes), with individual RGB bulb control.

Iron Man will be first, followed by Star Trek.

A233AFA8-D079-432D-A3EA-27811A51B2FF (resized).jpegA233AFA8-D079-432D-A3EA-27811A51B2FF (resized).jpeg

108BB8B1-8E23-4BB9-AEE6-525BE3E59CF3 (resized).jpeg108BB8B1-8E23-4BB9-AEE6-525BE3E59CF3 (resized).jpeg

2B07DEF6-FC2A-4F23-970E-1E85CABADB5E (resized).jpeg2B07DEF6-FC2A-4F23-970E-1E85CABADB5E (resized).jpeg

70F05C09-6996-4442-AD4F-F4CEE5A19F65 (resized).jpeg70F05C09-6996-4442-AD4F-F4CEE5A19F65 (resized).jpeg

#1840 5 years ago

Holy shit bring on ST! Oh..... And TWD. That would be even better!

#1841 5 years ago

Played some Met tonight. Stumbled on a scenario that sent my TLS into "stuck total dark" mode for a minute or two. Dont think ive ever had this scenario before so here it goes.

Started lady justice
Started fuel
Started snake MB.

Im not sure when in this timeline lady justice mode timed out. It may have stopped before snake MB. Its hard to tell cause the lady justice music and DMD animations are overridden by the snake MB. But things were dark until i fell back into single ball play.

Seemed a hit to sparky may have been the event that let TLS get back on its feet. Game continued as normal.

To be clear im not complaining. I love the TLS and ive had hundreds of games on Met with no issue. Im just providing info in case it helps you in your awesome R&D efforts.

Cheers!

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just so you know I’m not sitting on my butt doing nothing, here is what eight channels of RGB control for GI looks like.

This is amazing! Any chance Metallica will get an update as well?

#1843 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Played some Met tonight. Stumbled on a scenario that sent my TLS into "stuck total dark" mode for a minute or two. Dont think ive ever had this scenario before so here it goes.
Started lady justice
Started fuel
Started snake MB.
Im not sure when in this timeline lady justice mode timed out. It may have stopped before snake MB. Its hard to tell cause the lady justice music and DMD animations are overridden by the snake MB. But things were dark until i fell back into single ball play.
Seemed a hit to sparky may have been the event that let TLS get back on its feet. Game continued as normal.
To be clear im not complaining. I love the TLS and ive had hundreds of games on Met with no issue. Im just providing info in case it helps you in your awesome R&D efforts.
Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. I try to immunise the code from hang ups by having all switches basically cancel themselves once they activate. This implementation was part of the big 2.0 code release. I may have missed a switch somewhere during the refactoring, so I will dive in and see if I can find it. Technically the goal is to make it impossible to get locked all off or all on, or all anything actually. Whatever the reason, I’ll have a look. Thanks again.

#1844 5 years ago

I'm assuming during a CIU mode, not all the lights are expected to turn on (it's supposed to be darker)? It's not full GI. It's not the lights themselves as they work fine as soon as it's over. CIU

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

But it is already obsolete. I am waiting on a board back that I have made with 30 channels, so I will be individually controlling every bulb. Total Lightshow kits from now on will be total GI replacement kits (yes, including inlanes), with individual RGB bulb control.
Iron Man will be first, followed by Star Trek.

Does that mean your matrix interceptors are EoL?

Only just fitted mine! Doh.

Liking this approach though.

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

This is amazing! Any chance Metallica will get an update as well?

I think I am done with Met. It will remain as a TLS “classic”, with its primary goal to replicate the Premium lightshow, and that will obviously always be red, white and blue. New projects like IM, ST, SM, won’t be replicating a premium version and will be a whole new experience as RGB.

#1847 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

They can be used together, but the OCD board must be put first in the chain, and terminating resistor boards must be removed.

Exactly how I did it, and working well.

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm assuming during a CIU mode, not all the lights are expected to turn on (it's supposed to be darker)? It's not full GI. It's not the lights themselves as they work fine as soon as it's over. CIU

CIU are deliberately dimmed to match the Premium.

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think I am done with Met. It will remain as a TLS “classic”, with its primary goal to replicate the Premium lightshow, and that will obviously always be red, white and blue. New projects like IM, ST, SM, won’t be replicating a premium version and will be a whole new experience as RGB.

And TWD, obviously!?

#1850 5 years ago

Does that mean your matrix interceptors are EoL?
Only just fitted mine! Doh.
Liking this approach though.

Definitely not! The MI collects all the data from the pinball machine. My serial comms board aka the Sound Caller sends the MI data to the GI module. In fact, all existing installed Total Lightshow kits will be able to add the expansion module. AND.. you’ll be able to code the expansion module yourself, as all switch and lamp events are parsed through raw.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
6,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.