(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I haven't mounted it as far down as the ball drop. While I only have a limited amount of test equipment I don't want to go bending it up too much and that last turn is a little tight. The first video has it as far down as the beginning of the turn. That oviously brings the starting point down a bit. Final mounting will be at the discretion of the end user. The only stipulation is one of the holes lines up with the opto. I have 100mm lengths designed, but haven't built any, so in the end you could have the 600mm standard length with a 100mm extender clipped on which would give you backboard to ball drop coverage.
BTW, you should see how beautifully a 900mm three-strip length hugs the tron ramps..

Could you gently heat the strip and bend it then let it cool into shape? I've done that with these thick rigid led strips. Click the picture to enlarge and see how thick they are.

EATPM Player view.JPGEATPM Player view.JPG
EATPM G.JPGEATPM G.JPG
EATPM R.JPGEATPM R.JPG
EATPM B.JPGEATPM B.JPG

#102 9 years ago

It will bend ok, and if it is going in place permanently it won't be a problem. They are very thin and very flexible, I just didn't want to be bending them back and forth repeatedly during testing.

That Elvira looks sick. And of course you could have one of these strips in that position and program it up.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

lol, no, just another frustrated pro owner who thinks the pros of this world deserve to be the best that they can be.

But what about us poor LE owners? Me wanty!!!!!

This

Is

Awesome!

#104 9 years ago

Today, added diffuser film to the two side ramps. The warp ramp is still naked for comparison. There isn't a light on the planet that doesn't look better with a bit of diffusing. Note..patterns are still test patterns. And upper left ramp strip still missing.

Aurich's amazing translite is also on display (arrived today, truly awesome, man). The Promium approacheth..

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It will bend ok, and if it is going in place permanently it won't be a problem. They are very thin and very flexible, I just didn't want to be bending them back and forth repeatedly during testing.
That Elvira looks sick. And of course you could have one of these strips in that position and program it up.

Good it's bendable, I'd like to have it the full length of the 2 ramps. My strip has about 50 effects via a remote control but not programable like yours but for $36 shipped it was a no brainer. Now if yours was $36 I'd swap it in.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

But what about us poor LE owners? Me wanty!!!!!

This

Is

Awesome!

Careful, don't express wanting this on your LE or you might get labeled as "self entitled" for some reason.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Aurich's amazing translite is also on display (arrived today, truly awesome, man).

Sweet, glad it made it okay. That video is awesome, love what you're doing here.

#108 9 years ago

This is just looking better and better. Love the diffused look. The interaction with game modes is awesome!

#109 9 years ago

Damn it now you make me want a ST pin. Awesome work

#110 9 years ago

Awesome work. Cant wait to see more.

#111 9 years ago

very impressive!
a lot of work. nice job.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Today, added diffuser film to the two side ramps. The warp ramp is still naked for comparison. There isn't a light on the planet that doesn't look better with a bit of diffusing. Note..patterns are still test patterns. And upper left ramp strip still missing.
Aurich's amazing translite is also on display (arrived today, truly awesome, man). The Promium approacheth..
» YouTube video

Dang I just love watching that light show.

#113 9 years ago

Well, I hope I'm not coming off as self-entitled, ...but I sure wish there was a way this would work with the Premium/LE.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Today, added diffuser film to the two side ramps. The warp ramp is still naked for comparison. There isn't a light on the planet that doesn't look better with a bit of diffusing.

I was looking at the warp ramp on my Star Trek Premium last night, and they diffused it with an almost sparkly material, and made the LED strip white. It hides it pretty well. Not sure if you can change the color your custom ones are done in, but might want to check that out and see if it makes it any more invisible.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

an almost sparkly material

I'll have you know, the technical name for that stuff is, indeed, "sparkle film" according to the Stern manual. And the problem with THAT is that you can't google it successfully because Whitney Houston's last film was called Sparkle.

The issue of mounting is very, very tricky. The natural colour of most FPCs is orange, so the early test models looks an absolute treat, lol. Deep down, everyone who wants lights, also wants the light fitting to be invisible. And in this case, with a diffuser layer, you then have to deal with the visibility of that installation as well. The warp ramp, being almost a feature or toy-like piece is not such a big issue, as it can sit up the back there and be all sparkly and great, but returns are different. People flame polish these FFS. Crystal clear ramps, I think most people want to retain, so the idea of a diffuser layer down the side of the machine is probably out anyway. Fortunately, in reality, anything down the outside of the ramps is pretty much invisible from the player angle anyway. Ramps across the playfield, like Tron, a different story though.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'll have you know, the technical name for that stuff is, indeed, "sparkle film" according to the Stern manual. And the problem with THAT is that you can't google it successfully because Whitney Houston's last film was called Sparkle.

You just got to know how to use google I guess
http://bit.ly/1u1e5gH

1 week later
#117 9 years ago

Got some more strips made and test machine now has full length left ramp strip. A few bugs ironed out. There are still a few floating around you will see.
Note the KMB jackpots. There is a pattern that reflects the jackpot which stops being activated once the jackpots are no longer paid. And that's not simply being triggered by reading lamps. There is switch counting logic in there that means I can keep track of heaps of stuff. Almost anything is possible.

#118 9 years ago

Because your leds are placed so close together the light seems to "flow" down the ramps but I would still like to see the leds make the turn at the bottom and end where the ball drops. Whatever you come up with for light patterns is fine with me and I can't wait till this is ready for sale.

#119 9 years ago

Any idea on price points?

#121 9 years ago

Very cool! One of the best mod potential out there!

#122 9 years ago

That looks really cool!

#123 9 years ago

Simply amazing mod! The fact that I'm picking up an ST Pro tomorrow has me really excited for this to go on sale!

#124 9 years ago

Time,
I've been following this thread for a while now... as a LE owner, I'm interested in seeing how far you take this. I've been dabbling in the LE RGB sequencing...
but haven't really made any progress.

I saw somewhere in this thread you mentioned decoding a serial stream. I'm assuming this isn't the CPU steam comming from the CPU board; but some other "stream". Are you actually have to decode lamp data? or are you reading the lamp data via the pins going to the PF?

Regardless of what your willing to share... I'm hoping that your planning on putting a ColorDMD "port" on your board so we can have a ColorDMD "track" the "modes" of the game. IE "green" save the enterprise causes the ColorDMD to update to a Green hue.
http://www.colordmd.com/ColorChange.html

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I saw somewhere in this thread you mentioned decoding a serial stream. I'm assuming this isn't the CPU steam comming from the CPU board; but some other "stream". Are you actually have to decode lamp data? or are you reading the lamp data via the pins going to the PF?

You're right, Zitt. I haven't targeted the CPU bus for data. I am taking the LE (models other than STLE, which is different again) lamp data from the output that goes to the PF. So there is no RGB decoding going on, only lamp on/off/flashing, same as what I am taking from lamp matrix pins. And the reason I went for the matrix pins instead of the bus is so that when I head to other machines..DE for example, where there IS no similar bus, I have somewhere to go for to get a signal. I'll always be able to find lamp matrix headers on any machine. Can't always guarantee a data output from somewhere else.

#126 9 years ago

This looks really amazing. Great job!

#127 9 years ago

When you gonna offer something for sale?

#128 9 years ago

Production quote requests going out this week. I'm not happy with the red in the LEDs I've been testing either. 255 red just ain't red. It's orange. Anyhoo, once I get that sorted should have a batch done within the next 3-4 weeks, fingers crossed.

#129 9 years ago

Wow you are putting some effort into this. Great stuff.

#130 9 years ago

Each video is looking smoother and smoother. This is exciting.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Production quote requests going out this week. I'm not happy with the red in the LEDs I've been testing either. 255 red just ain't red. It's orange. Anyhoo, once I get that sorted should have a batch done within the next 3-4 weeks, fingers crossed.

OK, put me on the wait list. LOVE your mod.

#132 9 years ago

I'll be staying tuned for sure. Nice job man.

#134 9 years ago

I know this is designed around a Stern system, but is there any chance that in the future you would be able to make something like this for a B/W pin? These are exactly the kind of mods that can breathe new life into old pins.

#136 9 years ago

Excellent! Keep up the awesome work, it looks great!

#137 9 years ago

As I get Tron ready, I just thought I would demo the use of the strips somewhere other than the ramps. The first video is taken during gameplay and shows the area behind the TRON targets being lit and tied into the reward inserts, and the Arcade Scoop lit from inside tied to the mode inserts. The second video is shot just in lamp test mode, and I have dropped out another GI bulb (The GI bulbs wash out the LEDs) from the third flipper area, extending the effect farther up the left side.

Again, just a test, so ignore anything that might annoy you, all this is changeable.

There is no logic in this demo, just a simple tie to the chosen inserts. I am using two of my three channels to do this, but theoretically you could use one channel, daisy chain some strips together and have them doing separate things in their own location. If you want to do the ramps AND both these areas, you would have to daisy chain them, so that you could have a channel for each ramp.

Cheers,
Mike

#138 9 years ago

Loving what you did with Tron, Mike

Very keen to see this progress.

#139 9 years ago

That's pretty cool on Tron. What happens when you have multiple items lit in the scoop? Does it take the color of the lowest insert? For instance - If you have light cycle and Quorra lit. Does it flash green?

#140 9 years ago

Oh f..... you did say this can work alongside the Eli, right? lol... totally interested for the scoop and other side application. Don't care about the ramps.

RGB control in those areas, especially scoop, is great.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That's pretty cool on Tron. What happens when you have multiple items lit in the scoop? Does it take the color of the lowest insert? For instance - If you have light cycle and Quorra lit. Does it flash green?

It can do anything. For this demo I didn't code anything complicated, but you can tell it to do whatever you imagine. With two inserts flashing you could have it cycle through the colours, you could have one colour solid and then the second periodically blink over the top of it. Three inserts flashing, no problem, the same applies. I did set the Flynn green to flash at a different rate to the quorra green, to differentiate between the two inserts, since they are both green inserts you might want to see the difference in the scoop somehow. You can, of course, tell it to use any colour at all and not necessarily match the insert.

The point with this kit is that it is not permanently tied to any one insert, or switch. It is reading the whole matrix of both and then using rules to tell it what to do. In this demo I have simply told it that "if insert 'a' is flashing, then do 'x' ", but it is a very simple change to tell it , "if insert 'a' is flashing, then do 'x', but if insert 'a' AND insert 'b' are flashing, then do 'y' ".

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh f..... you did say this can work alongside the Eli, right? lol... totally interested for the scoop and other side application. Don't care about the ramps.
RGB control in those areas, especially scoop, is great.

Yep. It will work alongside Eli ramps. I started the idea on ramps, but I think other applications could be even more useful. Anything at all that you want to light up in concert with the game code can be done.

#143 9 years ago

Here is a test run of some ramp code for Tron Pro. I have let it run in conjunction with the Eli ramps. I will put up another with the fibre ramps turned off for comparison. In this demo it recognises LC, Quorra and Disc MBs, super pops and spinners, and CLU and attract mode. Plenty more to go in.

#144 9 years ago

That is very cool!

#145 9 years ago

OMG OMG OMG!

tumblr_mk4bvwHC1q1ru055qo10_500.jpgtumblr_mk4bvwHC1q1ru055qo10_500.jpg
#146 9 years ago

Who will be the first person with 800$ ramp mods?! LOL

#149 9 years ago

lol. although, technically I can't be in the $800 club, as I WISH it had only cost me $800 thus far. Curse you, R&D!!

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here is a test run of some ramp code for Tron Pro. I have let it run in conjunction with the Eli ramps. I will put up another with the fibre ramps turned off for comparison. In this demo it recognises LC, Quorra and Disc MBs, super pops and spinners, and CLU and attract mode. Plenty more to go in.
» YouTube video

OK, I'm a buyer now too... start a list already!

Great demo. That really showcases the potential of your work and how to use it on my Tron LE. This hobby is madness... madness I tell you.

Edit: imagine the potential down in the area of the Recognizer and spinning disk...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.