Total Lightshow. Development thread. Met Pro Fiber Ramps!

Topic is favorited by 160 Pinsiders.

By TimeBandit

2 years ago

Stats

• Started 2 years ago
  • 1,503 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by TimeBandit

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

IMG20170425153558 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425153640 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425155632 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425155713 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425155905 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425155731 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425151424 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425151509 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425151707 (resized).jpg
IMG20170425152133 (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

There are 1503 posts in topic. You are on page 27 of 31.
#1301 3 months ago

Ok I need to understand this......does this require your total light show MOD kit to work?? Or can it be used by itself as a stand alone product (with the spinners obviously). Also what exactly is an IDC pusher?

#1302 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ok I need to understand this......does this require your total light show MOD kit to work?? Or can it be used by itself as a stand alone product (with the spinners obviously). Also what exactly is an IDC pusher?

Idc pusher is a plastic tool to push wires into an idc connector.

Not to speak for bandit, but yes it requires the total light show board to be installed.

#1303 3 months ago

Great news! I've been holding off my Crystal Tint/Diffuser Apron order until the Spinner Kit was ready to go Sounds like it won't be long now.

#1304 3 months ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Idc pusher is a plastic tool to push wires into an idc connector.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1590

#1305 3 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

In this form it will require an IDC pusher to push the signal wires onto the relevant Matrix cables you already have connected to your Matrix Interceptor

Mike,
Do you have a IDC pusher you would recommend, or a picture of the tool you use?

#1306 3 months ago
Quoted from ita47:

or a picture of the tool you use?

IMG20170125071839 (resized).jpg

If I'm just doing one or two I use this one..

IMG20170125071646 (resized).jpg

#1307 89 days ago

Very limited number of Total Lightshow add-on spinner sound caller kits now in the redshiftLED web store. There will be more, but I am building these out more slowly than usual. Replacement matrix cables are also available for those who don't wish to use the IDC pusher to get connectors onto the matrix cables. You will need to push 2x two-position connectors, like in the photo in the previous post. Installation instructions will be up soon, but it's basically plug in and go.

#1308 89 days ago

There will obviously be a code update to do as well. It will be up before shipped hardware arrives.

#1309 89 days ago

I have also successfully improved the low level driver so switch response is now what I would call fking awesome.
I will post some more video tomorrow. Bedtime now.

#1310 89 days ago

Im a bit confused. Are we adding idc connectors to the

machines switch matrix
Or
The cables between the matrix interceptor and the machines sam board

Sorry for the ignorant question.

#1311 89 days ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Im a bit confused. Are we adding idc connectors to the
machines switch matrix
Or
The cables between the matrix interceptor and the machines sam board
Sorry for the ignorant question.

Onto the cables that run from the matrix interceptor to the machine. My cables. You will not be pushing onto factory cables.

IMG20170127010903 (resized).jpg

IMG20170127010921 (resized).jpg

#1312 89 days ago

One connector pushed onto the white switch return cable and one onto the green switch drive cable.

#1313 89 days ago

Sweet!

#1314 89 days ago

just ordered!

#1315 89 days ago

Ordered! Thank you!

#1316 89 days ago

Ordered. Cant wait!

#1317 89 days ago

Bah! Stupid me hasn't read the thread for a few days... next time

#1318 89 days ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Bah! Stupid me hasn't read the thread for a few days... next time

I should have some more up late next week.

#1319 87 days ago

New code is up at the website. Met Pro v2.10 Sound Caller. Adds support for sound caller add-on plus upgrades to switch monitoring driver. You can update before adding the add-on hardware. You will notice some better switch reliability, particularly with Sparky.

#1320 87 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

New code is up at the website. Met Pro v2.10 Sound Caller. Adds support for sound caller add-on plus upgrades to switch monitoring driver. You can update before adding the add-on hardware. You will notice some better switch reliability, particularly with Sparky.

I love how you're always improving your stuff, even months after saying it was "done". You're the Lyman of mods!

When do you think the "super pak" with everything for Metallica, including the raising cross mech, be ready?

#1321 87 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

When do you think the "super pak" with everything for Metallica, including the raising cross mech, be ready?

Funny, "super pak", that's how I've been picturing the final incarnation. Maybe you've just coined the name for it. It's just the mechanical engineering of the main bracket for the cross mech that I'm working on. It's frustrating me a lot as it seems such a simple task, but managing the cost of it is the highest priority so I have to design out as much metal working as possible. I can't put a date on it, but it's at least a couple months away still, knowing what I'm going to have to go through even after I'm happy with the design.

#1322 87 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Funny, "super pak", that's how I've been picturing the final incarnation. Maybe you've just coined the name for it. It's just the mechanical engineering of the main bracket for the cross mech that I'm working on. It's frustrating me a lot as it seems such a simple task, but managing the cost of it is the highest priority so I have to design out as much metal working as possible. I can't put a date on it, but it's at least a couple months away still, knowing what I'm going to have to go through even after I'm happy with the design.

does the cross addition to TLS connect in the same/similar way that the spinners do (idc connectors on the TLS cables between the TLS and the game boards?)

Marco sells the cross mech, but its really expensive
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-9810-00

So i guess you are trying to keep yours under that price?

#1323 87 days ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

does the cross addition to TLS connect in the same/similar way that the spinners do (idc connectors on the TLS cables between the TLS and the game boards?)
Marco sells the cross mech, but its really expensive
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-9810-00
So i guess you are trying to keep yours under that price?

It connects the same way. There are a few people already driving the installed OEM part, but generally it is prohibitively expensive. I am trying to come in around half the price max. Shooting for even lower.

Attachment is a photo from a previous post showing both cross and spinners hooked up to the matrix switch return cable.

2017-01-29_10.17.13 (resized).jpg

#1324 87 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It connects the same way. There are a few people already driving the installed OEM part, but generally it is prohibitively expensive. I am trying to come in around half the price max. Shooting for even lower.

Sounds great! Im in!

#1325 80 days ago

Here are the install videos for the sound caller. Not loaded to the website yet, but all users at this stage are Pinsiders, so here will do for now I think.

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

» YouTube video

#1326 78 days ago

SMVE! SMVE! SMVE!

#1327 77 days ago

Installed the firmware update. Reaction time is def improved between switch hit and lighting effect. Recommended update!

#1328 72 days ago

Looks like first batch of Sound Callers that went out had a very unlucky delay at this end after I lodged them at my Post Office. It took ten days for them to get from around the corner from my place, across town, and out through the airport. That has never happened before and they usually leave the country within a day or two. Anyway, as of now, all units have arrived in their destination countries and are with your local postal service.

Hilarious..compare time from my local post office to airport, then Sydney to NY..

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.23.38 pm (resized).png

#1329 72 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Looks like first batch of Sound Callers that went out had a very unlucky delay at this end after I lodged them at my Post Office. It took ten days for them to get from around the corner from my place, across town, and out through the airport. That has never happened before and they usually leave the country within a day or two. Anyway, as of now, all units have arrived in their destination countries and are with your local postal service.
Hilarious..compare time from my local post office to airport, then Sydney to NY..

I once shipped a Brooks leather bicycle saddle (ebay sale) from the East coast of the USA to the West cost of the USA. It went to Guam, then Hawaii before getting to California. It was an incredibly well travelled saddle - this after I had ridden it for 2 years and 32,000 km from the USA to the tip of South America! Luckily the buyer had a good sense of humor.

saddleRoute (resized).jpg
Guam3 (resized).png

WW1 (resized).png

WW2 (resized).png

#1330 71 days ago

Mike, just want to be sure the right way to do this install. Did you say do the V2.10 firmware update first, then install the spinner hardware, then connect everything. I assume when the system restarts it will recognize the sound caller board & be good to go?

And how is the board programmed now? Different spinner sounds for each multiball mode, or is it the snare drum sound for everything?

Hoping to dive into it this weekend.

#1331 71 days ago

I've also read different options that people have used to cut their plastics for the spinner install. Either by exacto knife, a dremmel cutting or grinding tool, or even a scroll saw. Just curious what you used to do yours. I was leaning on taping off area & using an exacto knife to get a precise cut, but that would require a lot of cuts I think. I've cut plastics with the dremmel before & it ended up melting the plastic, which I want to avoid.

#1332 71 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Mike, just want to be sure the right way to do this install. Did you say do the V2.10 firmware update first, then install the spinner hardware, then connect everything. I assume when the system restarts it will recognize the sound caller board & be good to go?
And how is the board programmed now? Different spinner sounds for each multiball mode, or is it the snare drum sound for everything?
Hoping to dive into it this weekend.

Yes, if you follow that procedure you will be good to go.

Sounds as programmed are..

Normal play..bass drum
Fuel..on weak hit standard bass drum, on a hard hit the fuel jackpot sound
Sparky MB..electric shock
Fade to black..whip (or something. I don't know what to call it, but it works really well)
Coffin MB..gun shot.

#1333 71 days ago

Received my package from ya today. Looking forward to installing it this weekend

#1334 71 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've also read different options that people have used to cut their plastics for the spinner install. Either by exacto knife, a dremmel cutting or grinding tool, or even a scroll saw. Just curious what you used to do yours. I was leaning on taping off area & using an exacto knife to get a precise cut, but that would require a lot of cuts I think. I've cut plastics with the dremmel before & it ended up melting the plastic, which I want to avoid.

I used a dremel. But, slowly, slowly, to avoid the dreaded melting as you have pointed out. It can also be a pain sometimes doing tight corners with a dremel.

#1335 71 days ago

Do you remember the dremmel tip you used? I guess slower the speed the better. Thanks again

#1336 70 days ago

Mike when do you think you will have more sound callers available for purchase?

#1337 70 days ago

I know this is the expensive way, but I bought Premium/LE plastics and used them on my met pro to install spinners without cutting plastic.

#1338 70 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I know this is the expensive way, but I bought Premium/LE plastics and used them on my met pro to install spinners without cutting plastic.

I just cut the left plastic and completely removed the right plastic. Not one time has removing the right plastic caused a problem through 100's of plays so, I'm leaving it off for good.

#1339 70 days ago

They sell the spinner brackets at Marco. Is there any difference with the hooked spinners, and just DIY with switches and clips? or is it just convenience of having them pre assembled?

#1340 70 days ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

They sell the spinner brackets at Marco. Is there any difference with the hooked spinners, and just DIY with switches and clips? or is it just convenience of having them pre assembled?

No. I ordered the parts from Marco and did it myself. I do remember buying the spinner decals from him though. The part #'s are somewhere in Hook's thread. IIRC it's 2 switches, 2 spinners, 2 brackets. The part #'s are in the MET PREM/LE manual on Stern's site as well.

#1341 70 days ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

PinballLife sells the assembly for $20 each: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4118

You still need to add the wires yourself, mounting screws, and the spinner decals. My Pro came with a spare set of Premium decals so I used those.

#1342 70 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

If you have access to a grinder wheel it really makes it easy. Just tape off the area you want to remove, and slowly use the grinder to shave it away. Very forgiving and leaves a nice smooth edge when you're done.

e81a5838d169fe076d3f7afd64eaa4662f0f0841 (resized).jpg

#1343 70 days ago
Quoted from ita47:

Mike when do you think you will have more sound callers available for purchase?

I'm building up boards now. Monday should see stock back on the site.

#1344 70 days ago

Thanks for the tips guys.

#1345 69 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I can't guarantee this would be effective, but I think, Rens, you would be the first person on the entire planet to have a splitter on the rs232 port. And this would cement your position as having the most modded Metallica in existence.

Has this been attempted? I'm in the same boat, Smart DMD installed using the rs232 port. I would love to add the spinners too.

#1346 69 days ago

A little off topic, but are you still working on the light ramps for xmen TB?

#1347 69 days ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

A little off topic, but will are you still working on the light ramps for xmen TB?

Not off topic at all! That's what I'm here for.

I have developed a distribution system that allows me to bring wiring more neatly to the bottom of the playfield, then distribute out to two channels from there. This will be generic across machines that get optic ramps done for them. It allows me to move more easily from machine to machine and cuts dev time. I needed to get this done first and parts have just arrived. I am building some up alongside my sound callers.

I am simply left with the task of machining the mounting blocks to get the optic fibers attached to the LEDs. I have these worked out but have not finalised my production approach. It's generally a case of all the bits are there, just staring at me waiting for me to pull them all together. This causes me no end of anxiety and procrastination. But I'm getting there.

#1348 68 days ago

Please, please, please SMVE

#1349 67 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not off topic at all! That's what I'm here for.
I have developed a distribution system that allows me to bring wiring more neatly to the bottom of the playfield, then distribute out to two channels from there. This will be generic across machines that get optic ramps done for them. It allows me to move more easily from machine to machine and cuts dev time. I needed to get this done first and parts have just arrived. I am building some up alongside my sound callers.
I am simply left with the task of machining the mounting blocks to get the optic fibers attached to the LEDs. I have these worked out but have not finalised my production approach. It's generally a case of all the bits are there, just staring at me waiting for me to pull them all together. This causes me no end of anxiety and procrastination. But I'm getting there.

If xmen turns out anything like the preview I will be stoked! If you need someone to do some test fitting on a pro let me know!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
$ 24.95
$ 24.95
$ 9.95
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 43.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 9.95
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, MA
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 149.99
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 24.50
$ 35.00
There are 1503 posts in topic. You are on page 27 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.