(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 47.
#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Straight after Tron is finished. Program is Tron - ST - X-Men.

Cool, I'll start saving now.

#1202 7 years ago

And here is video of the first ever fitting. No drilling, no soldering iron. Total avoidance of any ramp damage. I just thought I'd roll the camera as I fitted the first batch just after it arrived from the factory. You are seeing this as I first did. Unrehearsed, so apologies for me getting in the way a few times.
It is amazingly solid. The clips just slide straight on and clip snugly in place. You can feel the spring working as you push it over the edge of the ramp, and then snap gently into place as it aligns properly. Once on, these aren't going anywhere during use, but if you want to remove, just reverse the movement and slide straight off and over the edge. Watch how quickly one ramp is done, and this is just diving in without a plan.
0.8mm stainless steel. Roughly the same thickness as a paperclip, but you can't bend it(easily). It just flexes nicely. I'm stoked with it.

#1203 7 years ago

Man, you are a true whizz kid. Programming, designing electronics, designing mechanics. All in 1 person.

I will promote you to the Einstein of pinball modding

#1204 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And here is video of the first ever fitting. No drilling, no soldering iron. Total avoidance of any ramp damage. I just thought I'd roll the camera as I fitted the first batch just after it arrived from the factory. You are seeing this as I first did. Unrehearsed, so apologies for me getting in the way a few times.
It is amazingly solid. The clips just slide straight on and clip snugly in place. You can feel the spring working as you push it over the edge of the ramp, and then snap gently into place as it aligns properly. Once on, these aren't going anywhere during use, but if you want to remove, just reverse the movement and slide straight off and over the edge. Watch how quickly one ramp is done, and this is just diving in without a plan.
0.8mm stainless steel. Roughly the same thickness as a paperclip, but you can't bend it(easily). It just flexes nicely. I'm stoked with it.
» YouTube video

I think I can do that. I imagine ST would use only one light source, RGB?

#1205 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think I can do that. I imagine ST would use only one light source, RGB?

All three ramps will be independent. I'm trying hard to go all out on ST. Dual channel RGB GI, plus the ramps. We'll see if I can pull it off.

#1206 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

All three ramps will be independent. I'm trying hard to go all out on ST. Dual channel RGB GI, plus the ramps. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Would this add even MORE neat stuff to the ST LE/premium, or just pro?

#1207 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Would this add even MORE neat stuff to the ST LE/premium, or just pro?

Pro only. You premium/LE guys have got plenty!
I can't read the lamp states on the premium. So I can't lock into the gameplay.

#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pro only. You premium/LE guys have got plenty!
I can't read the lamp states on the premium. So I can't lock into the gameplay.

Not even the ramp lights?

#1209 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Not even the ramp lights?

Wireform ramps. Can't mount them. And even if they could be mounted the functionality would be limited to being activated by switches. Without reading the lamp states I can't lock it into the gameplay. I think its performance would be disappointing.

#1210 7 years ago

I'm loving the sound of this,Roughly do you have a figure in mind how much this bundled kit would cost: RGB gi / ramps ?

#1211 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I'm loving the sound of this, a mod that makes the pro worth owning. Roughly do you have a figure in mind how much this bundled kit would cost: RGB gi / ramps ?

I'm trying for the big kit to come in under US$400. Biggest unknown at the moment is what I can get the custom GI lamps down to. They add up quick. Ramp only kit should be $2xx.00

#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm trying for the big kit to come in under US$400. Biggest unknown at the moment is what I can get the custom GI lamps down to. They add up quick. Ramp only kit should be $2xx.00

I thought it would be around that price , I know you have other machines to finish first but do you have any ideas on how the ramp lights would interact with the game that you are able to disclose ; similar to the effects on Eli Tron kit I imagine.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I thought it would be around that price , I know you have other machines to finish first but do you have any ideas on how the ramp lights would interact with the game that you are able to disclose ; similar to the effects on Eli Tron kit I imagine.

Different colors to match the modes, multiball start patterns, different ramp hit effects that change with modes, independent left/right behaviour, independent warp ramp behaviour. Custom effects by request. Plus all the add-on effects I do for Metallica such as outlane drain effects, attract mode effects, plus DIP switch selectable variations. Because I can react to switches I will have ramp effects that change on the exit switch, so you get a mild effect when you enter a ramp, but an increased effect if you make the ramp. I have spinner fade-up effects that pay a bigger effect if you rip the spinner hard enough.
Plus anything you can think of that would be cool.

#1214 7 years ago

And no, you don't have to drill holes to get the optic fibres through the playfield. My method of attaching the LED to the fibre has a small pod at the end of the fibre that can sit at the end of the ramp with wires to go to its control board under the playfield. Tron will go through the holes that are already there.

IMG20161103073545 (resized).jpgIMG20161103073545 (resized).jpg

#1215 7 years ago

Ambitious, Yes
Do-able, I don't know
You know each ramp has two Ir sensors to detect the ball going up the down the ramp (instead of the micro switches) to ensure that the ball has made either a clean shot or not.Could you be able to calculate the speed of the ball due to dividing the distance between Ir 1/2 with time it takes from when Ir1 is activated and Ir2. So then you can create an effect so that it looks like the light follows the ball down the ramp due to knowing rougly where the ball would be.

Oh a photon torpedo effect could be cool with the alpha and beta ramps (yellow or red) but Im guessing you had that in the bag already

Ball launch effect similar to the photon torpedos but with the colour of the chosen / current mode

#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Ambitious, Yes
Do-able, I don't know
You know each ramp has two Ir sensors to detect the ball going up the down the ramp (instead of the micro switches) to ensure that the ball has made either a clean shot or not.Could you be able to calculate the speed of the ball due to dividing the distance between Ir 1/2 with time it takes from when Ir1 is activated and Ir2. So then you can create an effect so that it looks like the light follows the ball down the ramp due to knowing rougly where the ball would be
Oh a photon torpedo effect could be cool with the alpha and beta ramps (yellow or red) but Im guessing you had that in the bag already

Opto switches are no different to micro switches. It's still just ramp entrance or ramp exit.
I did all that sort of stuff in the beginning with addressable LEDs. It was amazing. The lights actually did follow the ball. And torpedoes did shoot at you. The videos are in the thread. Shelved it. Too expensive.
Anything like you suggest with regard to timing I can do, easily. It's just a matter of making it work visually.

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Wireform ramps. Can't mount them. And even if they could be mounted the functionality would be limited to being activated by switches. Without reading the lamp states I can't lock it into the gameplay. I think its performance would be disappointing.

I see.

#1218 7 years ago

All this talk about other crap... Tell me more about the spinners on Metallica and this "Tiny Rick" fellow.

#1219 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

All this talk about other crap... Tell me more about the spinners on Metallica and this "Tiny Rick" fellow.

I'm trying to get him to play nice with the CPU board. Tiny Rick's an asshole.

#1220 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Tiny Rick's an asshole.

No wonder his real body is slowly dying in a vat in the garage.

#1221 7 years ago

TimeBandit for President!!!!!!

#1222 7 years ago

Or Prime Minister!

#1223 7 years ago

Some Tron testing. I know most people have probably already done this with Eli's kit, but here's my take on it. Switches are involved, so you can see in the LCMB test that ramp shot effects vary by whether you make the shot or not. The board responds to both the ramp entry and exit switches. Reminder, this is testing.

#1224 7 years ago

Ya I'm sold on the ramp el

Edit: the TB one

#1226 7 years ago

This is my next mod for my x-men pro. Its just hard to be patient!

#1227 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

THAT'S why I want it on ST.

What he said!

#1228 7 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

This is my next mod for my x-men. Its just hard to be patient!

Same for me, quit goofing around with those lesser titles and bring on the xmen!

#1229 7 years ago

Looking great on Tron, can´t wait to get one for mine !

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Same for me, quit goofing around with those lesser titles and bring on the xmen!

Don't pay any attention to this guy, he doesn't know anything.

#1231 7 years ago

I'm going to have to put the idea of complete replacement RGB GI on ice. It's just going to be too expensive and too daunting a process for enough people to want to do it. This may disappoint, like, ten guys worldwide, but a man's gotta be realistic.
I'm also changing my production cycle to batch on demand. This means that the 25-odd Metallica kits I have left in stock will be the last for a while. I will find a way to collect names for future runs.
I will be concentrating on finishing development of the extra add-ons for Met, and ramp-only light kits for games I have mentioned. The R&D for that is pretty much sunk, so might as well get them out and see how they go.

RIP RGB LED GI

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm going to have to put the idea of complete replacement RGB GI on ice. It's just going to be too expensive and too daunting a process for enough people to want to do it. This may disappoint, like, ten guys worldwide, but a man's gotta be realistic.
I'm also changing my production cycle to batch on demand. This means that the 25-odd Metallica kits I have left in stock will be the last for a while. I will find a way to collect names for future runs.
I will be concentrating on finishing development of the extra add-ons for Met, and ramp-only light kits for games I have mentioned. The R&D for that is pretty much sunk, so might as well get them out and see how they go.
RIP RGB LED GI

Makes sense.

#1233 7 years ago

The rgb gi looks fantastic but sometimes time invested vs worthwhile return doesnt add up unfortunately. Im glad to hear the el ramp lighting is still a go, im def in for a setup and i think would have the largest interest base.

#1234 7 years ago

Any news on the Tron ramp kit by any Chance ?

#1235 7 years ago

RGB GI death, does that kill TLS in SMVE?

#1236 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

RGB GI death, does that kill TLS in SMVE?

Well here's the thing..the issue is the bulbs. I have the MI coded to drive the lights, I am pretty certain of the source for inexpensive playfield wiring. But the damned bulbs are just too expensive. What could conceivably happen is that someone else could work out the physical lights and then I simply sell the coded board to drive them. Someone could even take my light board design and see if they can make them cheaper/easier than I seem to be able, and same again..I am left to supply the driver board. That could work. I just don't have the resources to continue the bulb development.

#1237 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well here's the thing..the issue is the bulbs. I have the MI coded to drive the lights, I am pretty certain of the source for inexpensive playfield wiring. But the damned bulbs are just too expensive. What could conceivably happen is that someone else could work out the physical lights and then I simply sell the coded board to drive them. Someone could even take my light board design and see if they can make them cheaper/easier than I seem to be able, and same again..I am left to supply the driver board. That could work. I just don't have the resources to continue the bulb development.

Thanks for the explanation. That is what i thought you were saying. I just wanted to clarify. I totally understand. Thanks again!

#1238 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I will be concentrating on finishing development of the extra add-ons for Met

Are you referring to the Rising Cross mech kit? It's been a while so I've forgotten what you've been working on

#1239 7 years ago

Speaking of the rising cross, I noticed when playing my friend's MET premium the other day that when the cross is down there are a couple VERY bright flashers behind it. They are quite quite blinding. This is obviously something that isn't a factor on the pro version where the cross is always up. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way to tame those lights so they aren't so obtrusive? This is something I hadn't thought about before, and it would definitely be a factor in deciding whether or not to go with the rising cross in my game once it's available.

#1240 7 years ago
Quoted from zapp:

Any news on the Tron ramp kit by any Chance ?

Code is done. I will do a detailed demo sometime in the next week. Working on wiring and fibre connections at the moment.

#1241 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Are you referring to the Rising Cross mech kit? It's been a while so I've forgotten what you've been working on

Yes, and the sound caller.

#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Speaking of the rising cross, I noticed when playing my friend's MET premium the other day that when the cross is down there are a couple VERY bright flashers behind it. They are quite quite blinding. This is obviously something that isn't a factor on the pro version where the cross is always up. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way to tame those lights so they aren't so obtrusive? This is something I hadn't thought about before, and it would definitely be a factor in deciding whether or not to go with the rising cross in my game once it's available.

I wonder if they are coded the same on the pro. I am going to investigate how often they go off. I will say that I haven't found them noticeable during play, but in test they are, as you say, quite blinding.

#1243 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Well you could try putting red flashers in, red is A LOT easier on the eyes. When you go to a Star Party everyone walks around with red flashlights so they don't ruin their night vision.

#1244 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well you could try putting red flashers in, red is A LOT easier on the eyes. When you go to a Star Party everyone walks around with red flashlights so they don't ruin their night vision.

True, but fun fact(I think)..I'm pretty sure that's an artefact of the days when they used red flashlights so as not to expose film that was being used for long exposure astrophotography. The easy on the eyes bit is a happy coincidence. But I could be wrong.

#1245 7 years ago

Any update on Spiderman mate?

#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

True, but fun fact(I think)..I'm pretty sure that's an artefact of the days when they used red flashlights so as not to expose film that was being used for long exposure astrophotography. The easy on the eyes bit is a happy coincidence. But I could be wrong.

Yup that too and all manual photoprocessing in the dark room.

#1247 7 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Any update on Spiderman mate?

This was the update.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

RIP RGB LED GI

#1248 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This was the update.

Thanks

#1249 7 years ago

I know it's not pinball, but check out what my son is doing after being inspired by my work. The lights change color when the rumble pack goes off. He is making more money than me, lol (and that just means a positive return. I am still deeply in the red. Gotta love our tiny market)

SAVE_3 (resized).jpgSAVE_3 (resized).jpg

#1250 7 years ago

smash on wiiu!!! Nice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.50
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.