(Topic ID: 107609)

Total Lightshow. Development thread. Including installation guides.

By TimeBandit

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,350 posts
  • 261 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dts
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is there such a thing as "Too many lights"”

• Is there such a thing as too much luvin? 10 votes
    20%
  • Is there such a thing as too much good music? 8 votes
    16%
  • Is there such a thing as too much pinball? 32 votes
    64%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MetCable (resized).jpg
ACDCCable (resized).jpg
MetProGIMapJPG (resized).jpg
MetProGIDrop (resized).jpg
ACDC_GI_Socket_MapJPG (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).jpg
IMG20170302223828 (resized).jpg
GIConnect1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2745 (resized).jpg
GIInterceptor (resized).jpg
image3 (2) (resized).jpg
AE0B5AB3-8ABE-4CE3-A789-CC2854FAFE70 (resized).jpeg
EC8F8711-22ED-4B92-B82E-A46257BFF32B (resized).jpeg
slim_chance.jpg
tf (resized).jpg
14F94F69-472A-457C-98FE-C888E060DE83 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 47.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Basically, he was saying, "Making pinball mods is hard."
He is monitoring switches, and sometimes his mod was seeing switches being hit when they really weren't. He was trying to count a number of switch hits to be able to dim the lighting during "Fade to Black", and since he was seeing too many false switch hits, it was dimming too early.

Translated to a tee.

And I think I've found the culprit, Harold. The dreaded opto.
Here is what the opto switch return looks like..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

And here is a regular micro switch..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

The switch getting falsely triggered is the one that comes after that opto and lines up with the drive signal. I think the area of slow recovery by the opto from being pulled low is polluting the next time window and giving me a false trigger.
See how it recovers more sharply in the second pic. I don't get any noise in that pair. I will have to ignore the first 50us of that sample and it should be clean.

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Basically, he was saying, "Making pinball mods is hard."
He is monitoring switches, and sometimes his mod was seeing switches being hit when they really weren't. He was trying to count a number of switch hits to be able to dim the lighting during "Fade to Black", and since he was seeing too many false switch hits, it was dimming too early.

Look, enough with the mumbo jumbo. What wizardry do you speak of?

#653 8 years ago

Me like blinky lights

#654 8 years ago

Now that your Met Pro has all that lovely colour around the place, you're going to get pretty annoyed when one of the bulbs gets loose in a socket and goes out. Premium owners know this. The ones at the front are ok; a quick slide of the glass and a push back in and away you go. The ones at the back however need the PF lifted, the socket quickly screwed out and a re-fit of the bulb. When the GI is all white, I guess a lot of us let the odd bulb go for a while until next we have the PF up for another reason. With the colour though, I think you are going to want it all good, all the time.

I really recommend this method to keep the bulbs in for good. Given that you are going to be supplied with fresh sockets it's a great time to do this BEFORE they go in, never to cause a problem again, from the day they are installed. Of course, lots of folks use different methods, which have been documented quite a bit on Pinside, and they are all effective methods. I am just a real convert to this one. Quick, clean and easy to reverse.

Using heat shrink to keep wedge bulbs in a socket..

Easy removal if required..

#655 8 years ago

Oh I like the way that works but where do you get that kind of shrink at? I've never seen any like that.

#656 8 years ago

What size shrink wrap is that?.

#657 8 years ago

Bandit, appreciate the install advice- any update on the GI theatre itself ?

#658 8 years ago

WOW! Just came across this. If I'm ever able to afford a ST or MET Pro this will definitely be on my list of mods.

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Bandit, appreciate the install advice- any update on the GI theatre itself ?

I've tested the first board off the production run that was sent to me as a sample. I'm sending in the OK for the rest of the batch to go ahead today. Met Pro and ACDC will be shipping shortly after I get back from Expo. I will start a for sale thread then with ordering details.

#660 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've tested the first board off the production run that was sent to me as a sample. I'm sending in the OK for the rest of the batch to go ahead today. Met Pro and ACDC will be shipping shortly after I get back from Expo. I will start a for sale thread then with ordering details.

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

What size shrink wrap is that?.

16mm

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh I like the way that works but where do you get that kind of shrink at? I've never seen any like that.

I was lucky enough to have some in a mixed bag that I have. I have never sourced clear heat shrink on its own. But I am going to now of course! Black looks pretty sleek too. I love the grippy feel of the clear though.

#663 8 years ago

Awesome!

#664 8 years ago

Expo bump! Let's get some bling in our thing!

#665 8 years ago

I have been asked a couple of times if I can support the raising cross mechanism in the pro. I'm not sure how many folks would go to the trouble of installing it, but I've decided to bite the bullet and buy the mechanism and try to get it to work. The main board has the spare output ready to dedicate to the function, and I know I certainly can get signals to it at the right times, but getting it to listen might be another story.
Anyway, just wanted to mention it for the few guys who might care.

#666 8 years ago

What about a kit that changes standup targets to drop targets?

I saw this in a previous thread... Not an easy task, but nothing cosmic. Up to the challenge?

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have been asked a couple of times if I can support the raising cross mechanism in the pro. I'm not sure how many folks would go to the trouble of installing it, but I've decided to bite the bullet and buy the mechanism and try to get it to work. The main board has the spare output ready to dedicate to the function, and I know I certainly can get signals to it at the right times, but getting it to listen might be another story.
Anyway, just wanted to mention it for the few guys who might care.

Feedback from one fairly heavy modder: no i wouldnt, i never saw the cross/hammer/snake as a big difference. I think youre brilliant for trying the GI theatre lightshow which is in my opinion the biggest gap. Sure the other mechs would be nice, but a lot less bang for buck in my opinion- not that i wouldnt enjoy them if i had them ^_^

#670 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Feedback from one fairly heavy modder: no i wouldnt, i never saw the cross/hammer/snake as a big difference.

Speaking as an LE owner I don't think the cross is a big deal at all, but the snake is a game changer. No way to easily add that though.

#671 8 years ago

I would put the cross in my pro. But I'm not what you would call a minimalist modder.

#672 8 years ago

Well, great news for the rising cross hopefuls. I received my cross mechanism today, and within a couple of hours had it bolted into place (it won't take you that long to install it. It took me that long to figure everything out) and successfully connected into the machine's switch matrix. In switch test, the two switches (cross up, cross down limit switches) on the mechanism correctly come up as #33 and #34 when activated. This means I can guarantee that I can talk to it through the Matrix Interceptor. I also tested powering it directly through the power outputs of the Interceptor (although I never planned on running motors through it) using one of my old boards. It only draws 300mA so I am comfortable doing it. The only issue is that because my power outputs are capped at 6.3V the motor rotates slower. It takes 11.5 seconds for the cross to rise fully.
I didn't do a full operating test with code as my sample board is back with the manufacturer.

So those of you who are thinking about it, see if you would be happy with 11.5 seconds' travel and then I can tell you that it is easy to install and I will support it. If you require the faster travel to exactly match the premium you would have to power it with 12V separately and then I would need to put a transistor in the line and trigger it with my output. I would need to build a little board to do that properly and the only benefit of all that would be the faster travel. Not so sure I'd be up for all that.

--edit: OR, idiot, I could just put a 12v step up converter in the line!

Testing the connection. The old static cross is still mounted there in the playfield..
image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

Tapping into the switch matrix..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Another view of the switch matrix tap..
image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

Connect the cross mechanism straight to the tap..
image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

Some drilling required for mounting holes. They are different to the static pro cross..
image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

A bit of a tight fit amongst the Pro's wiring harnesses..
image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg

#673 8 years ago

eh, the cross assembly looks expensive for what it does...

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

eh, the cross assembly looks expensive for what it does...

Well there's a good point. For roughly the same price as the cross mechanism you can get the whole lightshow.

#675 8 years ago

Im surprised the cross up and down switches work on pro. I thougt that had to be added to the game software.?

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Im surprised the cross up and down switches work on pro. I thougt that had to be added to the game software.?

The switches are registered by the machine if they are wired correctly into the matrix. The game code on the pinball machine will not read them though. So, something like my board can still intercept an on/off state using the architecture of the matrix, then do something off the back of the switch signal.

In this particular case, I wire the switches into the blank #33 and #34 positions which are properly read in the low level driving universe of the machine (but ignored by the game code), then intercept those switch signals as I would any other switch signal. I then use that signal in conjunction with my own grave multiball triggers to activate the cross.

It also means that I could wire in a new switch into any blank space in the matrix. I hadn't originally set out to do this in the original spec but now I am looking for ideas to exploit this functionality.

#677 8 years ago

People have been really wanting the spinners that some have added and wired up to the pic targets to "work". I think but didnt go back to confirm HOOKED was making those spinners.

Perhaps there are some empty slots in the matrix so that when the switches on the spinners activate you could flash a GI light near by or something more creative.

Im not sure how many peeps have those spinners. It required you to modify a plastic or two so that might keep some from making the purchase.

Just an idea.

You continue to impress me, good job!

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

People have been really wanting the spinners that some have added and wired up to the pic targets to "work". I think but didnt go back to confirm HOOKED was making those spinners.
Perhaps there are some empty slots in the matrix so that when the switches on the spinners activate you could flash a GI light near by or something more creative.
Im not sure how many peeps have those spinners. It required you to modify a plastic or two so that might keep some from making the purchase.
Just an idea.

I have the spinners and have hesitated to install. I'd install in a heartbeat if someone found a way to integrate them more accurately or maybe even if bandit did something rad tying them to lights.

I continue to wait for the GI kit with patience and excitement!

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I have the spinners and have hesitated to install. I'd install in a heartbeat if someone found a way to integrate them more accurately or maybe even if bandit did something rad tying them to lights

If they are installed with the diode wired correctly it is a snap to get them placed into the switch matrix. Once there I can intercept them and add lighting effects. I am doing a bit of spinner development at the moment. Because I can count switch hits, I can tie lighting to how hard you rip the spinner for example. In this short Tron video watch when I test the Quorra spinner (1m25s). I first hit it gently and a bit of green GI comes in. Then when I hit it hard you see the green GI ramp up in strength and then at 13 spins it starts flashing.
I can't integrate them into the Stern code though

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I continue to wait for the GI kit with patience and excitement!

I OK'd the production sample regarding its main functionality, then just before I flew off to Expo I remembered to test the USB port to be complete. It was dead. I can't believe it. There's always something!! So just trying to track down this issue. Once sorted, the guys at the board house have their finger hovering over the button to run the batch. I have kit boxes packed with cables etc, just waiting for the main board to drop in on top and post. So close.

#681 8 years ago

Thank you for the constant updates. You effort is much appreciated!

#682 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have kit boxes packed with cables etc, just waiting for the main board to drop in on top and post.

Just for the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd ..

Bags of socket strings ready for packing..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Matrix cables..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Bags of sockets..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hardware baggies..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

GI Interceptors..
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#683 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

image.jpeg
Matrix cables..
image.jpeg
Bags of sockets..
image.jpeg
Hardware baggies..
image.jpeg
GI Interceptors..
image.jpeg

#685 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

the guys at the board house have their finger hovering over the button to run the batch.

I have my finger hovering over the button to purchase a Metallica lighting kit. It's good to see it so close to being ready.

#687 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Just an idea.

I have the spinners installed and they are currently hooked into the pic targets. I think it would be cool if they scored correctly, but I don't mind them helping me get to blackened once and a while!

#688 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

image.jpeg
Matrix cables..
image.jpeg
Bags of sockets..
image.jpeg
Hardware baggies..
image.jpeg
GI Interceptors..
image.jpeg

WOW !

#689 8 years ago

bump. Any update on what the board manufacturer said about the USB issue?

#690 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

bump. Any update on what the board manufacturer said about the USB issue?

Yes, a simple bad joint. No circuit errors. But I did lose a bit of time by dropping it back to them before I flew out. It went into a bit of a black hole over there. I should have waited till I got back, tested it myself, reflowed the joint and given the all clear. Oh well, another week down the toilet.

#691 8 years ago

Boards are here.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
First production board programmed at the bench. Heartbeat stable.

tl4f3.giftl4f3.gif

Now don't get too excited. A little bit of tweaking here and there to do yet, but should launch in a couple of days' time.

#692 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

A little bit of tweaking here and there to do yet, but should launch in a couple of days' time.

Yes!!!

#693 8 years ago

Yay been waiting since the beginning

#696 8 years ago

Finally but good things Always take time

#697 8 years ago

Can't be arsed to read through the 300+ posts I missed..was there ever a general idea of price? I saw something comparing the cost to the moving cross assembly, but I have no idea how much that thing is to start with lol.

#698 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I am struggling to keep it exactly at 250. Soooo many cables, and now the hardware pwm IC redesign. Probably going to creep a little North. But definitely under 300.

#699 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Can't be arsed to read through the 300+ posts I missed..was there ever a general idea of price? I saw something comparing the cost to the moving cross assembly, but I have no idea how much that thing is to start with lol.

At launch it will be USD285 plus shipping, which is the whole kit ex bulbs. There is a "what's in the box" post back in the thread there somewhere. Termination resistor boards for non-LED Pros will be a $19 add on. Shipping quote from Australia Post to the US at the moment looks to be under 20 bucks.

#700 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

At launch it will be USD285 plus shipping, which is the whole kit ex bulbs. There is a "what's in the box" post back in the thread there somewhere. Termination resistor boards for non-LED Pros will be a $19 add on. Shipping quote from Australia Post to the US at the moment looks to be under 20 bucks.

except bulbs? please *enlighten*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,350 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.