• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders,
I have noticed on my SS that the metal entry to the right ramp is starting to lift away from the playfield. Would the best way to fix this from happening again be to take off the ramp and bend back the metal, rerivet a new entry piece, or have some of you found another way to address this problem?
Any help is appreciated!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

That's really weird, is there something pushing up through the playfield and on the ramp flap?

Flaps are relatively cheap to buy, http://marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=ramp+flap

Do you have rivetting equipment?

#3 8 years ago

I'm following this thread. I noticed that a little on my left ramp flap after I put it back together. My bigger problem is after shopping my scared stiff and waxing and rebuilding flippers is that now sometimes when I head to the right ramp on a ball moving fast through the inlane it flies up out of the ramp into the bumper area. Never had that problem before shopping it and it doesn't look like the right ramp had a plastic on it to keep the ball in the ramp.

#4 8 years ago

Originally, nothing was under the ramp flap, in the picture if you look closely, there is a small piece of double sided tape that I tried as a quick fix. It did just that, lasted about a minute, so the tape was removed. I also tried a piece of Mylar, worked for about a day. I'm not looking forward to removing that ramp, but if that is the best fix so be it. On my SS, when sending a ball into the right ramp, ocassionally it leaves the ramp based on speed etc. There are missing sections on the ramp as I'm guessing this is the original design. It might just take some tweaking on the ramp or playfield pitch adjustment to stop the problem of early ball exits from the ramp.

#5 8 years ago

Sorry, i don't have riveting equipment but will purchase if necessary to fix the problem

#6 8 years ago

I used to own a SS and I had a similar issue. Not sure but it looks like in the picture (not clear) that maybe the 2 small screw are not screwed in as tight as possible. On SS the end of the plastic part of the ramp slots into the playfield and it can be a little off after a shop-job has been performed or slightly misaligned at the factory (that was the case on mine). As a result the metal flap is not quite flush with the playfield and over time being hit by the ball it can lift a little more. On mine the screw holes were a little misaligned (again because whoever originally installed the ramp at the factory was a little off. I had to remove the ramp and bend the flap just a little downwards and then re-seat it properly. The screws then went in on a little bit of an angle due to the hole alignment (and were not quite flush) but it was ok because they are so close to the sides that the ball couldn't hit the screws. The screws couldn't be completely flush (countersunk) due to the alignment and trying to do would have risked cracking the ramp.

You need to be careful when removing SS ramps because they can break easily and are intertwined in such a way that you need to bend them a little to get them to fit around things. If your flap is bent (rippled) then you might have to replace the flap - more challenging for a novice. Fortunately I never had to do that on mine.

Again - looking at your photo it looks like the plastic part of the ramp is sitting on top of the inset area (like mine was). If that is indeed the case then you might be able to remove the 2 flap screws and loosen ALL the other screws/etc that are holding the ramp and then just push the plastic in place and then retighten everything.

Good luck.

#7 8 years ago

I just take off ramp and bend back down, happens quite a bit after time.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I used to own a SS and I had a similar issue. Not sure but it looks like in the picture (not clear) that maybe the 2 small screw are not screwed in as tight as possible.
Again - looking at your photo it looks like the plastic part of the ramp is sitting on top of the inset area (like mine was). If that is indeed the case then you might be able to remove the 2 flap screws and loosen ALL the other screws/etc that are holding the ramp and then just push the plastic in place and then retighten everything.

I just fixed this on my STTNG, same issue. Take out the ramp, fix the holes under those 2 small screws with toothpicks/skewers and wood glue, put back the ramp without overtightening it and screw those 2 screws in to bring the ramp flap down to the playfield (careful not to overtighten and strip the holes). The vibration from missed shots stripped the screw holes for those 2 small screws in my case.

#9 8 years ago

Hey guys,
Fix was to lift ramp and bend back the metal lip. Thanks for the advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 39.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 249.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 37.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-entry-metal-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.