Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-10-26_20.17.52.jpg
2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg
2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have a new decal for my Taxi arrival ramp. What's the best way to get this one off and remove the adhesive?

2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Goo B Gone?

#3 11 years ago

alcohol

#4 11 years ago

Apply Goo Gone with a brush the has some fairly stiff nylon bristles; slowly work the Goo Gone between the ramp and sticker; final clean with alcohol (use some on the ramp too).

Apply new decal wet with a little Windex to position it exactly right; gently squeegee out the excess with a credit card.

#5 11 years ago

Heat gun set at about 200 degrees. Heat up back side and remove decal from front side. Remove residual glue with Goo Gone.

#6 11 years ago

Had the same issue with my JM. Light heat to back of ramp works well. Goo be gone sucked. Got a can of 3 m all purpose adhesive remover,suggested by a pinsider. I worked great.

#7 11 years ago

I would be careful using any type of stiff brushes on ramps as they can scratch fairly easily. The key is simply weakening the decal enough and then old fashion elbow grease to remove it! If you really want it to look great definitely flame polish the ramp before applying the new decal for that glass look finish!

#8 11 years ago

Wow, different answers ! I get a can of dust off and turn it upside down and freeze them .They will come right off.

Jim

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I would be careful using any type of stiff brushes on ramps as they can scratch fairly easily.

No problem at all using a nylon brush if you're careful; same for using a heat gun--many way to skin this cat as Jim mentioned.

The key is to be careful during removal.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the help. I'll probably heat gun it then 3m adhesive remover. i have both of these. Ill post the results soon. I've yet to flame polish anything yet. Ill need to do this on some junk ramps first to learn how. Of coarse i bought these ramps when new ones were hard to find. Now every supplier has them.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinwillie:

I'll probably heat gun it

I wouldn't do that ! Good luck .

Jim

2 months later
#12 11 years ago

I finally was able to this done. The decal came of easily with no heat and no freeze spray, just peeled it off. It did leave the adhesive, which i used Goo Gone. After adhesive was removed and ramp cleaned, I sprayed windex on the ramp and decal, positioned decal, squeegeed out the windex and let it sit over night. Even though all the liquid was out, the decal would slide around. Thus the over night. Thanks for you help !!

2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg2012-08-17_20.01.39.jpg 2012-10-26_20.17.52.jpg2012-10-26_20.17.52.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Nice, now put a LED under there so it never happens again!

#14 11 years ago

That looks like it was scratched off, not heated up and melted.

#15 11 years ago

I second the freeze spray and goo gone. You can get a decal off clean for re-use with freeze spray.

#16 11 years ago

I used recently used isopropyl alcohol, then goo gone and flour. Brush the alcohol on comes off easy.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I second the freeze spray and goo gone. You can get a decal off clean for re-use with freeze spray.

Interesting!
Do you reactivate the adhesive with some heat before re-applying, or is there some spray adhesive you use?
I might have to do this soon with a raised decal that cannot be reproduced.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Interesting!
Do you reactivate the adhesive with some heat before re-applying, or is there some spray adhesive you use?
I might have to do this soon with a raised decal that cannot be reproduced.

No, you remove the old adhesive and use 3M 467MP adhesive to replace it.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

No, you remove the old adhesive and use 3M 467MP adhesive to replace it.

Yeah, the freeze spray lifts the decal and doesn't leave much glue. Then double sided adhesive, I'll have to see if I can find this stuff though, haven't heard of it, but it's usually a 3M project that wins.

#21 11 years ago

I got my last roll from pinrestore.com I think.. I've been using it a LONG time.

It comes on a roll with masking paper on one side.

#22 11 years ago

I've just used some of that 3M stuff and wasn't really that happy with the result. There are areas where the glue wasn't even on the roll, leaving patchy areas when the decal is refitted. Also thousands of micro air pockets, didn't matter how hard I tried to press it down, and how slowly the decal was rolled back on.

#23 11 years ago

I think we actually use it at work in our graphics department. We apply it on a heat press. Not sure if that would make it more uniform. I'll give it a shot since my application is the rod decal on FT and it's applied top down.

Thanks!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I've just used some of that 3M stuff and wasn't really that happy with the result. There are areas where the glue wasn't even on the roll, leaving patchy areas when the decal is refitted. Also thousands of micro air pockets, didn't matter how hard I tried to press it down, and how slowly the decal was rolled back on.

Had the same issues/problem. Would love to know of a better solution myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-decal-removal-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.