Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    TRC-81 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20211207_172048375 (resized).jpg
    Meter (resized).jpeg
    Blown Res (resized).jpeg
    CE185856-DE71-42B0-86F4-889496683DC2.jpeg
    CC38DD4E-5F6B-4B2A-87A6-624872831D01 (resized).jpeg
    06944FF5-046D-466A-97E3-A568DC511717 (resized).jpeg
    5D346F7E-D8C7-440F-A875-ADAB27E591FE (resized).jpeg
    A15BD134-E0FC-4C27-B160-95970ECFE764 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    PXL_20211205_040854234[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_040812426[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_035853380[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_035320509[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

Sad to see the end of an era.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I heard Radio Shack used to have MUCH more of a selection. Now you can't get jack shit there for specific applications besides some fuses and a generic LED .

There are some old complete (annual) Radio Shack catalogs hosted and available to view on the internet. Check out what they used to have.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Thought Radio Shack had already been shut down. Where are people buying their radios these days

Or getting their one free battery per month
    The Battery of the month Club. Always got the 9 volt.

2 years later
    #108 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some of the gadgets and curiosities they had over the years were neat. Anyone remember this guy?

I had one of those Robie Robot coin banks..

My favorite was the Genie Bottle. Way better than a Magic 8 Ball. Plus it blew smoke which I could not figure out how. My O Scale Train was a Marx that did not emit smoke like Lionel's did so I didn't have the inside scoop at the time.

1 year later
    #145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

In an odd twist, Radio Shack still lives online! They were purchased along with a dozen other store names, each got an online catalog of stuff, and each website is basically using the same template, just different merchandise. RadioShack, Pier1, LinenNThings, Modells, SteinMart and others are all part of this odd family of properties now owned by the same company. Each does business online, but a quick look at the merchandise will disappoint any traditional radio shack fan.

No Magic Genie Bottle for Christmas season? I love the way it smoked, similar to Lionel steam locomotives...

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

What is really scary is this meter and most like it have NO FUSES. :S

My first two Analog multimeters were from Olson Electronics. The 2nd one was larger than their $5.00 "pocket" model I had. The box said "with meter protective circuit". On day one, I had it in Contunuity test mode and purposely put the leads into a 110 volt AC outlet...... BAM! The meter was dead. I opened it up and there were little pieces of glass floating inside.... My dad took it to work with the schematic that Olson supplied as an electrician he worked with knew how to repair electronic stuff. At the time (I was probably 9 or 10) I didn't know what they were, but they were glass diodes. He replaced them and the meter was good as new. That was the protective circuit, two diodes, no fuses.
    When I was 11 or 12, he taught me how to read the EM schematic for my Bally Galahad. What a guy from "The Greatest Generation"....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/grand-junction-co/walter-golec-4771353

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

Radio Shack used to give away things at Christmas time.
    I still have this, never used it.
    I sure do miss them.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

"Would you like to buy four D batteries for your free flashlight"? Of course you get one free being a member of the exclusive Battery of the Month Club and the flashlight uses five.

Prior to the Black & yellow one you pictured, they were Grey with red trim in the '70's. ..

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I forgot about the TANDY connection! There were SO many RS locations around the country where TANDY LEATHER would be next to Radio Shacks, and it wasn't until later that I realized that there really WAS a corporate connection.... TANDY LEATHER picked up Radio Shack in the 60's and called the business adventure TANDY ELECTRONICS, and they had a number of brands including ARCHER and REALISTIC and MICRONTA and a few others. Even the TRS-80 was a whim because they were already lost as PCs took hold...

Quoted from timarnold:

This is just WRONG!
    A "truckload of trucks" goes against everything science fiction has taught us about the rules of nature. It is unholy. Why not sell a "trunk full of elephants? How about an ass shaped smoke-eater ashtray and call it a "butt load of butts?"
    I guess I should have expected suck trickery from a company that no longer sells Radios and no longer has any "Shacks".
    I used to be a loyal Radio Shack customer, going all the way back to the Tandy days. I still carry my battery-of-the month club card in my wallet. It used to be a genuine treat to go into a PHYSICAL STORE with rack after rack of stuff that would give a young A.V. geek a stiffy. I learned resistors in series from one of your breadboard kits. Our first computer was a TRS-80. You used to have a staff that knew the product, was allowed to have an opinion about what they were selling, and like their customers, smelled like week old bread.
    One thing that I always wondered about "The Shack" back in the day. You sold all manner of high tech gadgets, but you never had a CASH REGISTER. The clerk would write a receipt on a duplicate book, and put the money in a wooden drawer mounted under the counter. WHY???
    Perhaps it was a money laundering operation for the mafia controlled PINBALL BUSINESS!
    All kidding aside, I really do miss you guys. Now I have to go on-line and buy shitty Chinese made solder, tools that fall apart the first time you use them, and out of date and dried out capacitors.
    I have composed a poem, as a tribute to what once was....
    Archer and Enercell in a tree.
    K I S S I N G.
    First come Antenna Craft, then comes marriage.
    Then comes Realistic pushing a baby carriage.
    Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 4:05 PM
    To: pinball hall fame <[email protected]>
    Subject: Truckload Of Trucks

In Dearborn, Michigan there was one Allied Radio Shack and a few miles away there was a Radio Shack, Division of Tandy Corporation in the early to mid 1970's. The Allied location became simply Radio Shack around 1978....

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

It was your phone number they wanted!

I always gave 312-267-6060

Bally's main switchboard on Belmont....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radio-shack-files-for-bankruptcy-again?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.