Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    TRC-81 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20211207_172048375 (resized).jpg
    Meter (resized).jpeg
    Blown Res (resized).jpeg
    CE185856-DE71-42B0-86F4-889496683DC2.jpeg
    CC38DD4E-5F6B-4B2A-87A6-624872831D01 (resized).jpeg
    06944FF5-046D-466A-97E3-A568DC511717 (resized).jpeg
    5D346F7E-D8C7-440F-A875-ADAB27E591FE (resized).jpeg
    A15BD134-E0FC-4C27-B160-95970ECFE764 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    PXL_20211205_040854234[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_040812426[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_035853380[1] (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211205_035320509[1] (resized).jpg
    There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I grew up in Radio Shack

I remember walking in there and drooling over the computers I couldn't afford and the electronic kits I couldn't(yet) understand.

#102 4 years ago

No more Radioshacks around here. One was still vacant (at least about a month a go when I passed by). Interestingly enough, that one is near a Toys R Us which was recently bought by Aldi. They gutted an renovated the building, and just opened it a couple months ago.

Another radioshack was turned into a cell phone store (so I guess not much changed there, lol), and I haven't been by the others in the region in a long time, so I'm not sure if others store replaced them by now, or if they're still vacant.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

Retail going out of business:
    Yesterday I was trying to buy some soldering flux for electrical work at a local store here in Miami. I went by the ACE hardware store on my way home from work. After an extensive search in the soldering and electrical department I came up empty handed. The associate wasn't much help either. OK HomeDepot MUST carry some basic item like that. After fighting rush hour traffic for 1/2 an hour I arrived at the local HD store. Nothing in the electrical department. Somewhere around aisles 7 to 9 I was told by a not so friendly sales associate. The shelf with the flux was empty. The sign was still there but no product. So after a while I found another sales associate willing to help. Yes, according to the inventory database it should still be somewhere in the store. But ultimately he wasn't able to find any flux for electrical work, only for plumbing.
    So after a stressful 90 minutes I got home and spend 2 minutes ordering some of the correct flux on E-bay. That's what I should have done in the first place. Retail stores are a waste of my time. Traffic, lack of product, local taxes and unfriendly sales associates are all things I can do without.

The experience is very similar in my area. I don't even bother with Radio Shack anymore. The experienced people that could actually help you find things have moved on and replaced my millennials that have no idea about any electronic parts, what they do or where to find them. But they know all about cell phone activation and cell phone data plans for sale. We don't even have Frye Electronics in my area. Everything has to be ordered on line and you wait for delivery. It is depressing.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I remember walking in there and drooling over the computers I couldn't afford and the electronic kits I couldn't(yet) understand.

I played with the magnets and built pyramids out of 9 volt batteries (which made them very hot by the way)

#105 4 years ago

Some of the gadgets and curiosities they had over the years were neat. Anyone remember this guy?

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some of the gadgets and curiosities they had over the years were neat. Anyone remember this guy?

I either had that or played with it at the store. I took a lot of store toys to school for Show and Tell.

I'm positive I took this one to school. I probably still have it at my parents house

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #107 4 years ago

Decades ago I couldn't wait for the new RS catalog every year. Almost like a kid waiting for the Sears toy catalog that came out every year around xmas. I also worked at a major defense contractor. While at the local RS store at the mall, I told the salesperson if he just gave me a carton of catalogs I'd take them in to work, and they would gone and in the hands of electrical engineers in a matter of minutes. He took me up on the offer - and sure enough, I bet they were gone in about 15 minutes after I cracked the box open.

Did the same for years

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I had one of those Robie Robot coin banks..

My favorite was the Genie Bottle. Way better than a Magic 8 Ball. Plus it blew smoke which I could not figure out how. My O Scale Train was a Marx that did not emit smoke like Lionel's did so I didn't have the inside scoop at the time.

#109 4 years ago

Robie the robot's program is a round disc, with bumps and groves, like
    the disc that controls the arm on the Judge Dread machine

#110 4 years ago

Always a RS fan... still have a few of their Electronic "build" kits running around in a closet somewhere. Still have a RS multimeter or two... and a pair of logic probes and pulsers.

IMHO; they lost their way when they went nearly full on Cell Phone. They couldn't be trusted anymore except for the occasional resistor or switch for some project. That said; I still wish one or two existed in the wild. It'd be nice to see them resurrect with a renewed focus on the nerdy things in life... like radios, heathkits, and other STEM type products. But I'm not sure enough people would be interested in that kind of a store.

#111 4 years ago

Bought all of my CB radios at Radio Shack. My base unit was powerful with a ginormous mic and antenna. Used to "skip" at night and talk to other CB enthusiasts hundreds of miles away at times. ("CQ...CQ.....CQDX")

Bought my first computer; a "Trash 80". Played text only games. ("You're now standing at a lake.....").

We still have a couple of Radio Shacks in the area but they're a shadow of what they used to be.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Bought my first computer; a "Trash 80". Played text only games.

Did you see that someone posted most of the Infocom text only games to github? I believe that they have a compiler running that will let you build those games for modern systems.

#113 4 years ago

Sort of related we are getting low on Ace Hardware's around here in Madison. It's kind of like Radio Shack in that it's overpriced but they have things you can't find at Menards/Home Depot/Lowes.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Decades ago I couldn't wait for the new RS catalog every year. Almost like a kid waiting for the Sears toy catalog that came out every year around xmas. I also worked at a major defense contractor. While at the local RS store at the mall, I told the salesperson if he just gave me a carton of catalogs I'd take them in to work, and they would gone and in the hands of electrical engineers in a matter of minutes. He took me up on the offer - and sure enough, I bet they were gone in about 15 minutes after I cracked the box open.
    Did the same for years

This site might interest you.
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

#115 4 years ago

Was at Fry's Electronics tonight out here in Ca. Does not look like they will be in business much longer. Shelves were empty and racks were bleak.

#116 4 years ago

Wow, a trip down memory lane!

Thanks DH!

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Was at Fry's Electronics tonight out here in Ca. Does not look like they will be in business much longer. Shelves were empty and racks were bleak.

Was in my local one awhile back and it was the same thing

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No more Radioshacks around here. One was still vacant (at least about a month a go when I passed by). Interestingly enough, that one is near a Toys R Us which was recently bought by Aldi. They gutted an renovated the building, and just opened it a couple months ago.
    Another radioshack was turned into a cell phone store (so I guess not much changed there, lol), and I haven't been by the others in the region in a long time, so I'm not sure if others store replaced them by now, or if they're still vacant.[quoted image

« Some content hidden, only visible to registered Pinsiders »
    #119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

« Content only visible to registered Pinsiders »

Seriously?

#120 4 years ago

You appear logged in and registered so if you get the initial message “content only available to registered Pinsiders” try reloading the page, that usually does the trick for me. In this case it prevents sensitive content from showing up on search engines and such.

#121 4 years ago

You appear logged in and registered so if you get the initial message “content only available to registered Pinsiders” try reloading the page, that usually does the trick for me. In this case it prevents sensitive content from showing up on search engines and such.

Lol, thanks! I had never seen that before

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Bought all of my CB radios at Radio Shack. My base unit was powerful with a ginormous mic and antenna. Used to "skip" at night and talk to other CB enthusiasts hundreds of miles away at times. ("CQ...CQ.....CQDX")
    Bought my first computer; a "Trash 80". Played text only games. ("You're now standing at a lake.....").
    We still have a couple of Radio Shacks in the area but they're a shadow of what they used to be.

I used to browse the "sale table" at Radio Shack on a regular basis for things that I "might" need at bargain prices. Bought all kinds of things there, including a gigantic 100 mile TV antenna and tripod mount, computers, electronic parts, batteries, etc, etc... If I needed something special, the guy at the desk would look it up for me in their catalog and have it for me in the store to purchase in a few days. All that has disappeared and makes me feel like a dinosaur...

1 year later
    #123 2 years ago

I picked up some good stuff at the sale table over the years: some Velleman kits, a shortwave receiver, and an FRS radio, all dirt cheap.
    I think though that I missed out on one of the best deals, when they flushed out Color Computer 3's in the early '90s for $10...

Pinball Jr. got a huge TV antenna from the closing sale, gratis. He tore it apart with the intention of making a 2m ham radio Yagi antenna out of it.

Well, we've been putting our stash of parts to good use: Two of my brother in laws are pinheads. I get parts requests from them for switches, caps, diodes, transistors, and ESPECIALLY slo blo fuses. I think he set a record for how many fuses can you blow in a day troubleshooting! I told them before asking, go to the Radio Shack catalog, if it's in there, the chances are pretty good that we have it!

Just after the closeout sales 4 years ago several guys showed up at the local hamfest peddling a trailerful of Radio Shack stuff.

#124 2 years ago

The Radio Shack gift catalogs throughout time to browse and reminisce before Christmas.
    https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

#125 2 years ago

About a year ago I was trudging my way through Gateway Plaza, a strange mix of eateries in Breezewood PA. Going up the steps to the 2nd floor there was an odd-ball collection of truck stop amenities including showers, arcade, workout and praying rooms, and next to that a very lonely Radio Shack. The small arcade room had a Dead Pool that I played from time to time and I occasionally went into the "Shack" to see what merchandise they offered. Typical stuff for truckers and that's about it... no electronics whatsoever. I was just shocked that any store would do well in a 2nd floor area of the plaza. Stopped in one last time a few weeks back on my way to take our son back to school, and the Dead Pool was history, along with Radio Shack... the merchandise was gone and all signs and mention of the former store were history.

#126 2 years ago

In an odd twist, Radio Shack still lives online! They were purchased along with a dozen other store names, each got an online catalog of stuff, and each website is basically using the same template, just different merchandise. RadioShack, Pier1, LinenNThings, Modells, SteinMart and others are all part of this odd family of properties now owned by the same company. Each does business online, but a quick look at the merchandise will disappoint any traditional radio shack fan.

#127 2 years ago

When I was a little kid, I waited all year for the Sear's Toy catalog. As I got older - it was the Radio Shack and Lafayette Electronics catalog. Even ended working at a Lafayette Radio franchise when I was in high school, did all repairs.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

When I was a little kid, I waited all year for the Sear's Toy catalog. As I got older - it was the Radio Shack and Lafayette Electronics catalog. Even ended working at a Lafayette Radio franchise when I was in high school, did all repairs.

That was a long time ago! I was born before the 7400 ICs were a thing, and I remember reading about Monsanto introducing the first commercial LED in the early 70s and thinking how solid state light bulbs would change the world. Radio Shacks were great in the discrete component era, but never quite found their PC age value. So much has changed, component style hardware is rare to find, since nearly everything is done in software these days.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

In an odd twist, Radio Shack still lives online! They were purchased along with a dozen other store names, each got an online catalog of stuff, and each website is basically using the same template, just different merchandise. RadioShack, Pier1, LinenNThings, Modells, SteinMart and others are all part of this odd family of properties now owned by the same company. Each does business online, but a quick look at the merchandise will disappoint any traditional radio shack fan.

The guys specialize in buying bankrupt companies with middle-class name recognition and then goes for a brand-recognition blitz. Apparently they’ve successfully spun off some of them back into standalone companies.

In all fairness most the companies on the list had a lot of meat on the bone, but they had utterly incompetent executive. RadioShack’s final owners killed the one smart thing they had: dedicated manufacturing contracts.

Hopefully the new owners refocus on their core businesses that made those companies successful. They’ve done it before. Some buzz was going around that in the next couple years they will be opening pilot brick & mortar RadioShack’s again

#130 2 years ago

The guys specialize in buying bankrupt companies with middle-class name recognition and then goes for a brand-recognition blitz. Apparently they’ve successfully spun off some of them back into standalone companies...

Here's a SnipIt from the top of the Radio web page.

#131 2 years ago

When the Radio Shack by my Dad was closing, he talked to the manager and bought 6 of the component drawer units for me. These drawers are awesome for sorting and storing pinball parts.

When the stores were closing around here and pricing things at 95% off, I bought every fuse, connector, IC, transistor, etc. that they had and will be stocked up for years.

#132 2 years ago

Bought this at Radio Shack in 1984. Still works and still use it.

4DB48C9E-69D3-4312-B14A-A1337EFB5733 (resized).jpeg4DB48C9E-69D3-4312-B14A-A1337EFB5733 (resized).jpeg
    #133 2 years ago

Remember the days where Bakelite was used for cases on tools like this… instead of cheap plastic.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Bought this at Radio Shack in 1984. Still works and still use it.
    [quoted image]

I still have my dad's (passed long time ago) little Simpson analog around here somewhere. I think I used it more than him when I was a kid, LOL. Likely 1960 era.

#135 2 years ago

I think I still have a working radio shack dvm in my pinball toolbox. I need to go pull out the 9v... It's probably leaking from age.

#136 2 years ago

When my brother passed away a few years back we found in his apartment a pair of wooden Realistic bookshelf speakers that he had grabbed from me (I was 7 yrs his senior). I remember buying em and strapping them onto my bike carrier to get them home. Amazed he hung on to them. Not using them. Just hanging onto them.

Getting my first Fluke digital meter to replace my Micronta analog one was a big “you are a real engineer now, kiddo” moment.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I think I still have a working radio shack dvm in my pinball toolbox. I need to go pull out the 9v... It's probably leaking from age.

What, you didn't buy the warranty and lifetime battery replacement package??

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Stick a lithium in there, or just leave it out.

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

When the Radio Shack by my Dad was closing, he talked to the manager and bought 6 of the component drawer units for me. These drawers are awesome for sorting and storing pinball parts.

I bought two drawers for $50. Thought that was too good to pass up and I have it packed with stuff in the garage. Another store offered me eight for $240 and for some reason I said 'nah - I'll go $200 but that's it' Mind you I didn't and still don't need them but it still frosts my ass I didn't just purchase them.

#140 2 years ago

Really neat hearing others 'old time' Radio Shack stories!

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I bought two drawers for $50. Thought that was too good to pass up and I have it packed with stuff in the garage. Another store offered me eight for $240 and for some reason I said 'nah - I'll go $200 but that's it' Mind you I didn't and still don't need them but it still frosts my ass I didn't just purchase them.

I worked there, it was my first real job, I was there right up to the end.
    I also heavily regret not having the space or money to buy the parts drawers.

Then again I took them apart, reorganized and labeled literal hundreds of tiny parts tins so many times... the only emotion they spark is cold indifference now

#142 2 years ago

I'm stunned...
    PXL_20211205_035500468[1] (resized).jpgPXL_20211205_035500468[1] (resized).jpg

Which triggered a picture fest of the radio shack test equipment I still have. The DVM with the battery from above:
    PXL_20211205_035320509[1] (resized).jpgPXL_20211205_035320509[1] (resized).jpg

I still have a set of Logic Probes and Pulsers:
    PXL_20211205_035853380[1] (resized).jpgPXL_20211205_035853380[1] (resized).jpg

And a rather sad needle meter:
    PXL_20211205_040812426[1] (resized).jpgPXL_20211205_040812426[1] (resized).jpg
    which is non-functional for an obvious reason:
    PXL_20211205_040854234[1] (resized).jpgPXL_20211205_040854234[1] (resized).jpg
    now; I'm debating if I should re-create this board ... and bring the poor thing back to the land of the living.

#143 2 years ago

I was introduced to electronics right before they started downsizing the component section. What a time to be alive.

I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for their 120-in-1 and 300-in-1 experiment kits.

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

which is non-functional for an obvious reason:
    [quoted image]
    now; I'm debating if I should re-create this board ... and bring the poor thing back to the land of the living.

Heck yeah you should! That shouldn't be too hard (maybe) to repair (not replace). Bridge the grounplane in 2 or 3 areas. What do you think the broken resistor(s) is, 1 meg ohm? Weird they added 'F' to the values, wonder why? Is it a capacitor (i.e micro F)? But the broken part, I think I can see the resistive windings?

It would be interesting to see if a schematic is available online.

I almost think I had that model decades ago.

Edit: Wonder if this is the schematic? https://elektrotanya.com/micronta_22-204_analog-mm_sch.pdf/download.html

Looking at the schematic values, I see a LOT of the same values on the schematic.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

No Magic Genie Bottle for Christmas season? I love the way it smoked, similar to Lionel steam locomotives...

#146 2 years ago

yeah; that looks correct. I also did a good search and found a lot of information as well.
    I've already CA glued the PCB back together and done a solder bridge repair.
    My concern is the traces which control the switch are broken and required solder bridges. I'm not sure they will hold up to the switching action long term.
    A 1meg ohm 1% 1/4 watt and a 200k 1% 1/4watt did not survive the break.

Apparently these multimeters were available as a kit build back in the day.
    Probes are long since gone but it appears they may be available on ebay.

What is really scary is this meter and most like it have NO FUSES. :S

#147 2 years ago

Could Best Buy be next? Will they try competing with CVS, Walgreens, and grocery store walk in clinics?

A15BD134-E0FC-4C27-B160-95970ECFE764 (resized).jpegA15BD134-E0FC-4C27-B160-95970ECFE764 (resized).jpeg
    #148 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

What is really scary is this meter and most like it have NO FUSES. :S

My first two Analog multimeters were from Olson Electronics. The 2nd one was larger than their $5.00 "pocket" model I had. The box said "with meter protective circuit". On day one, I had it in Contunuity test mode and purposely put the leads into a 110 volt AC outlet...... BAM! The meter was dead. I opened it up and there were little pieces of glass floating inside.... My dad took it to work with the schematic that Olson supplied as an electrician he worked with knew how to repair electronic stuff. At the time (I was probably 9 or 10) I didn't know what they were, but they were glass diodes. He replaced them and the meter was good as new. That was the protective circuit, two diodes, no fuses.
    When I was 11 or 12, he taught me how to read the EM schematic for my Bally Galahad. What a guy from "The Greatest Generation"....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/grand-junction-co/walter-golec-4771353

#149 2 years ago

Radio Shack used to give away things at Christmas time.
    I still have this, never used it.
    I sure do miss them.

06944FF5-046D-466A-97E3-A568DC511717 (resized).jpeg06944FF5-046D-466A-97E3-A568DC511717 (resized).jpeg5D346F7E-D8C7-440F-A875-ADAB27E591FE (resized).jpeg5D346F7E-D8C7-440F-A875-ADAB27E591FE (resized).jpegCC38DD4E-5F6B-4B2A-87A6-624872831D01 (resized).jpegCC38DD4E-5F6B-4B2A-87A6-624872831D01 (resized).jpeg
    #150 2 years ago

I found these in an extremely old picture viewer in my dad’s “kid stuff”. I took them out and put them on the shelf because they look so retro, and I’ve never seen these old steel-clad batteries.

CE185856-DE71-42B0-86F4-889496683DC2.jpegCE185856-DE71-42B0-86F4-889496683DC2.jpeg
    There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radio-shack-files-for-bankruptcy-again/page/3?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.