20240120_151724 (resized).jpg
20240120_151707 (resized).jpg
20240120_151621 (resized).jpg
20240120_151628 (resized).jpg
20240120_145925 (resized).jpg
20240120_145918 (resized).jpg
20240120_151542 (resized).jpg
20240120_151600 (resized).jpg
There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 23.
#201 6 years ago

There's a fellow here in this thread that has a plastic set he has reproed

Congrats and welcome!

I'm not with my rad for another week, maybe I could template the skateboard diverter unless someone beats me to it. This would be a good opportunity to make a really cool mod for that diverter

1 week later
#202 6 years ago

Just noticed that the kickback coil on the machine here is an ae-23-800 (measures around ~4ohm), but the manual calls for an ae-24-900 (~5.4ohm I think?). Will it make much difference? Could I just put a 1 ohm 5w ceramic resistor in series with the coil instead?

#203 6 years ago

Done! Made color match, looks really good. Only one thing - original decal have fluorescent orange color, i can't print it in this color, but i did best as i can. Let me know if somebody need this.

image1 (resized).JPGimage1 (resized).JPGimage4 (resized).JPGimage4 (resized).JPGimage6 (resized).JPGimage6 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPGimage3 (resized).JPGimage3 (resized).JPG

image5 (resized).JPGimage5 (resized).JPG

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Done! Made color match, looks really good. Only one thing - original decal have fluorescent orange color, i can't print it in this color, but i did best as i can. Let me know if somebody need this.

Great work!

#205 6 years ago

Looks really good!

#207 6 years ago

I've joined the club!

BTW - great thread here. Tons of awesome info.

I need to get some insert decals and I should be good to go. Who sells those again?

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

I've joined the club!
I need to get some insert decals and I should be good to go. Who sells those again?
» YouTube video

Welcome to the club John! mine is undocumented HUO too!

I think the fellow has the decals on ebay, its the same guy that has the cabinet decals on this page I'm pretty sure

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

I've joined the club!
» YouTube video

Welcome John! vbobrusev is the one with the inserts. He has a full artwork kit too, the guys at retro refurbish also have those available https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/radical-pinball-cabinet-decals/

Hope you like your new Radical! Its very clean. Been hunting for this machine for a long time too. Been skateboarding for over 25 years.

Few tips, the alternative if you dont want to clear coat it, change the inserts and Marcos sells a precut mylar for Radical that covers most of the playfield. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7960-2015-1

Be careful on the ramps, those are absolutely unobtainable. No one reproduce them and they are impossible to get.

Someone on the group did sideblades, however I'm looking to make my own set of mirror blades.

If you watch some of Todd's TNT videos, he restore them with a few upgrades. Clear bumper covers and cool stuff. Worth the watch to get some inspiration.

Not sure if you are familiar with Pinsound, they have a compatible kit for system 11c what works with Radical. https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board/ I got it with the speaker and subwoofer upgrade kit. You can then remix the complete game audio and use mp3 based sounds instead.

SKATE OR DIE!!!!!!

Cheers

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

I've joined the club!
» YouTube video

If you are serious about restoring the playfield, I highly recommend HSA. Brian does amazing work. It is well worth the time/cost if this machine is a long term keeper for you. Congrats on the pickup!

#211 6 years ago

Thanks guys!!! This is a keeper so far. The theme is 100% me.

Started to LED it:

#212 6 years ago

Question....

I saw on Bowen's PAPA video for this game that he can hit the top left ramp when plunging. This is impossible with my game. I always hit those two targets just to the left of the shooter lane instead. Is there some adjustment or something I am overlooking? Can you hit the top left ramp when plunging?

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

If you are serious about restoring the playfield, I highly recommend HSA. Brian does amazing work. It is well worth the time/cost if this machine is a long term keeper for you. Congrats on the pickup!

I'd love to do this. The idea of stripping the playfield and waiting 8 months seems like crazy talk, though.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Question....
I saw on Bowen's PAPA video for this game that he can hit the top left ramp when plunging. This is impossible with my game. I always hit those two targets just to the left of the shooter lane instead. Is there some adjustment or something I am overlooking? Can you hit the top left ramp when plunging?

you should be able to hit that ramp every time, theres an adjustment on the right metal guide under a plastic, from memory, you shouldnt have to remove the plastic to make the adjustment???

posts in this thread: 100-109

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

I'd love to do this. The idea of stripping the playfield and waiting 8 months seems like crazy talk, though.

your playfield looks amazing compared to most rads that Ive seen, clean off the inserts and use decals where necessary if you just absolutely have to... pinball playfield restoration is the most intense restoration thing Ive ever done in the 10 years Ive been restoring arcades and pinball, also the most time consuming and expensive; Clear Coating included. but John, you're a very savvy guy, you could do it, there's just a steep learning curve, and you need painting space.

also... could you please post a pic of your playfield, under the toilet bowl drop? mine has wear as well as every playfield Ive ever seen, just curious as to how yours looks?

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

your playfield looks amazing compared to most rads that Ive seen, clean off the inserts and use decals where necessary if you just absolutely have to... pinball playfield restoration is the most intense restoration thing Ive ever done in the 10 years Ive been restoring arcades and pinball, also the most time consuming and expensive; Clear Coating included. but John, you're a very savvy guy, you could do it, there's just a steep learning curve, and you need painting space.
also... could you please post a pic of your playfield, under the toilet bowl drop? mine has wear as well as every playfield Ive ever seen, just curious as to how yours looks?

Images attached. Looks like my shooter lane metal is already at the extreme. Not sure how I can move it up more to make that upper ramp shot on plunge.

20170904_190829 (resized).jpg20170904_190829 (resized).jpg
20170904_190835 (resized).jpg20170904_190835 (resized).jpg

20170904_190825 (resized).jpg20170904_190825 (resized).jpg
20170904_190832 (resized).jpg20170904_190832 (resized).jpg
20170904_190926 (resized).jpg20170904_190926 (resized).jpg

20170904_190816 (resized).jpg20170904_190816 (resized).jpg

#217 6 years ago

awesome pics... where does the ball hit at after the plunge and exit from the shooter lane?

#218 6 years ago

Hey John, try removing that blue post rubber and see if it gives you a little more lane guide adjustment room.

It looks like whoever shopped it last may have used some very robust colored post rubbers.

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Question....

oh, I see... maybe removing the post rubber WILL help( good call gunstarhero ), you might need to retap the screw holes...
this may be the reason you have such little wear on the toilet bowl drop, the ball is supposed to go up that ramp EVERY plunge

#220 6 years ago

The ball may also be ricocheting off that blue rubber, adjusting the metal guide toward the player may also stop the ricocheting and allow the ball to travel the correct geometry and go up the ramp

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Yup, its quite an investment in time and money. However, in the end, it is totally worth it. Just think of all the epic John's Arcade videos you could make from it. You haven't done any "John strips a playfield" episodes yet

Good Luck!

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Yup, its quite an investment in time and money. However, in the end, it is totally worth it. Just think of all the epic John's Arcade videos you could make from it. You haven't done any "John strips a playfield" episodes yet
Good Luck!

lol... I see a lot of fast forward static cam vids in that future

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Images attached. Looks like my shooter lane metal is already at the extreme. Not sure how I can move it up more to make that upper ramp shot on plunge.

Needs to go down, not up. The ball must get past the post rubber cleanly. It's pretty subtle to get the sweet spot.

This hits post and shanks into the red targets:
20170319_180935 (resized).jpg20170319_180935 (resized).jpg

This goes straight past the post and up the top left ramp every time:
20170319_181555 (resized).jpg20170319_181555 (resized).jpg

A bit further down and it'll miss the ramp again.

I find the same with the left exit of the top orbit. There's a sweet spot in the middle, but either side of that you can make the feed to the top left flipper impossible by making the ball hit the jets.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Needs to go down, not up. The ball must get past the post rubber cleanly. It's pretty subtle to get the sweet spot.

I find the same with the left exit of the top orbit. There's a sweet spot in the middle, but either side of that you can make the feed to the top left flipper impossible by making the ball hit the jets.

Boom!

#225 6 years ago

I even had the pictures ready to go from a couple of pages back.

I found that until I replaced the ball gate, the ball going from the left slingshot into the guide slowly tapped it back (it had actually knocked a dent into it). I made a one way gate and the problem hasn't recurred yet. #fingercrossed

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I even had the pictures ready to go from a couple of pages back.
I found that until I replaced the ball gate, the ball going from the left slingshot into the guide slowly tapped it back (it had actually knocked a dent into it). I made a one way gate and the problem hasn't recurred yet. #fingercrossed

That means the one way gate HAS to be there, mystery on that is solved, a fellow here recommended removing it as a 'mod'

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Looks really good!

[deleted due to copyright infringement takedown request]

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

These were the decals we made for Radical last year. I think we got a good match on the neon parts:

Those look great! is the orange uv reactive?

#229 6 years ago

Thanks for this! I will try adjusting it tonight.

Quoted from ajfclark:

#230 6 years ago

Somebody knows can I test 2 rows alpha numeric display from system 11b on my radical pinball?

#231 6 years ago

just arrived form Russia and look great!

I cant comment on fit yet but the colors are vibrant and well done, esp considering these are desperately needed!

P9050519 (resized).JPGP9050519 (resized).JPG

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just arrived form Russia and look great!
I cant comment on fit yet but the colors are vibrant and well done, esp considering these are desperately needed!

Freaking awesome!!!

I went to a fair with the family and saw this...

IMG_5416 (resized).JPGIMG_5416 (resized).JPG

IMG_5418 (resized).JPGIMG_5418 (resized).JPG

IMG_5423 (resized).JPGIMG_5423 (resized).JPG

#233 6 years ago

I'm really looking to join the club. If anyone has interest in trading for a nice BSD drop me a line

1 week later
#234 6 years ago

So... I fixed my shooter lane issue. Moved the metal guide forward so the ball clears the post rubber. Works perfect now! I can hit that ramp. What a fun and satisfying shot. Thanks for the advice, guys!

I finished the LEDs over the weekend. Totally transformed the game.

Has anyone installed spotlights on their Radical? I'd love to see where you put them and would love to know if it made a difference.

#235 6 years ago

I have Mirror Blades on mine. I "doubles" the effect of the Flashers and the LED's in mine. No need for spot lights.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I have Mirror Blades on mine. I "doubles" the effect of the Flashers and the LED's in mine. No need for spot lights.

Really? Does it help light the center of the playfield above the flippers? Photo?

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

So... I fixed my shooter lane issue. Moved the metal guide forward so the ball clears the post rubber. Works perfect now! I can hit that ramp. What a fun and satisfying shot. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Now you can figure out just how much pepper to give the ball to get it to apex the ramp but roll back down, lighting a second letter for each skill shot. It reminds me of a hand plant on a vert ramp.

If the right diverter kicks it into the toilet bowl and it drops quickly, it's also possible hit the ramp again off the top right flipper and get the second letter for the skill shot.

#238 6 years ago

Guys, I am going to recreate the Radical Skateboard that is on the flyer. I will have these printed. After I make mine, I'll share the files and the site I printed them at so you can do the same if interested. What do you think?

deck (resized).pngdeck (resized).png

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Guys, I am going to recreate the Radical Skateboard that is on the flyer. I will have these printed. After I make mine, I'll share the files and the site I printed them at so you can do the same if interested. What do you think?

I'm down, I've wanted one for a long time.

I'd really like the background to be a light blue that's on the playfield. Purple isn't bad though

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

Figure out a mounting solution, or maybe do one on Lexan or Styrene or something, and that would make a wicked topper!

#241 6 years ago

The deck has been ordered. I went with purple to match the flyer. I really want the same deck.

Now I need some green wheels, risers, and silver indies.

cart-front-1506009103 (resized).pngcart-front-1506009103 (resized).png

#242 6 years ago

I was hoping to see you post some threads here John, WOW your machine looks very clean. Love the LEDs, I remember you bad mouthing LEDS, yeah its so hard not to love the way they can transform a machine. I'm on the hunt for one now, thanks

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from blkdog7:

The deck has been ordered. I went with purple to match the flyer. I really want the same deck.
Now I need some green wheels, risers, and silver indies.

That's going to be sick !

#244 6 years ago

John, let us know where you ordered the deck. I'd like to send them some love as well and make a topper out of it. Powell makes green wheels: https://www.skateone.com/mini-logo-a-w-o-l-lift-kit-66mm-green-wheel

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

John, let us know where you ordered the deck. I'd like to send them some love as well and make a topper out of it. Powell makes green wheels: https://www.skateone.com/mini-logo-a-w-o-l-lift-kit-66mm-green-wheel

For sure! As soon as I get the deck, and if it's good, I will for sure share the artwork file and the link to where I had it printed.

I was looking at the green Santa Cruz Slime Balls:

http://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/slimeball-vomits-re-issue-skateboard-wheels/neon-green-97a

With 1/2" green risers and silver Indy 149s.

#246 6 years ago

Nice. That’s a closer color of green and you’ve got to love the screaming hand on the side of the wheels.

1 week later
#247 6 years ago

Just made one of these for my Radical. Pretty easy to do. You just need a blank shooter rod from Marco, a couple of bearings and your favorite wheel.

CEFCF539-306F-49A6-8038-F115AB6BB693 (resized).jpegCEFCF539-306F-49A6-8038-F115AB6BB693 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#248 6 years ago

Got the decks. They look pretty cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BafA35BFsjY/p

#249 6 years ago

Link is broken

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Link is broken

Remove the trailing P: https://www.instagram.com/p/BafA35BFsjY/

Looks good:
22582519_909083445906817_7915949112522964992_n (resized).jpg22582519_909083445906817_7915949112522964992_n (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-club-only-skaters-welcome/page/5?hl=skatervet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.