Topic Stats

• 548 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 189 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1513 (resized).JPG
IMG_1512 (resized).JPG
IMG_1510 (resized).JPG
C261CE93-BBB9-43BE-8B85-0E89429C3A3F (resized).jpeg
D1F93F00-E149-44AE-998B-E771FF1AB636 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1508 (resized).JPG
DSCN1848 (resized).jpg
DSCN1849 (resized).jpg
DB1FA390-2CA3-4082-BEB8-2BB99364FDFF (resized).jpeg
C0177E19-EB96-4AC7-B857-1661055E71C7 (resized).jpeg
D8E0AB62-005A-45D8-880D-7BE1618957A7 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
RadicalLightsMultiball (resized).jpg
59046345-7133-4516-B41C-21454F2D50CA (resized).jpeg
12FB77E8-70AF-430E-B6AA-569D344EB489 (resized).jpeg

There are 548 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
#101 2 years ago

I installed the third kicker, it was fairly easy, I also installed the vuk, it was not easy... took a year to source all of the parts.

I just put this cool toy in, wish I could find a few more skaters this size, especially one that's doing a tail slide

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I think Radical! plays quite well.
Things I like:
- I really like that a lot of the loop and ramp shots feed into others but there's enough uncontrolled shots required to keep things interesting.
- Some of the shots are reasonably easy and others (like lighting the R and I in RADICAL) are far tricker. That variety is good, and there's always the Spot Letter target if someone playing really, really can't get one of the shots.
- I like that there's a few different things you can do with the skill shot, like topping the left ramp and coming back down lighting two letters (is that a bug BTW?), depending on what you've already got lit.
- It's pretty fast without being insane. My opinion on that might change when I reassemble the table now I've cleaned it though.
Things I don't like:
- I don't like how frequent the "Skate or Die" sample plays during skate or die mode.
- I don't like that the right guide on the shooter lane defaults to being behind the rubber on the post, 99% of the time resulting in a smothered skill shot. It can be adjusted to miss the post, but seems to go back behind the post over time.
- Likewise the top loop's outside edge on the left exit; if carefully adjusted you can get a really nice loop and feed onto the top left flipper, but it seems to drift a bit. Once it's too wide, the ball starts hitting the post results in either a straight drain or hitting the jet bumpers rather than feeding the top left flipper. I hope I find once I reassemble the table I've got that it holds those two adjustments better.
I've seen a few weird bugs in the snake ball lock code and the Hit The Snake Run mode that ends up releasing both balls but not realising that it has so ends the game when the first one drains.
I think it's sad the VUK got dropped from production. The Snake Run being a target rather than a ramp doesn't really make sense when it says "Skate the Snake Run!". I suspect the third kicker that was dropped would also make things a bit more exciting.

I don't seem to have the skill shot issue you are having, maybe spend some time filling in the screw holes for the shooter guide and reposition the guide and re drill the holes so the guide stays put.

My snake run is also fine, maybe your switches need some adjustment, maybe not, maybe it's a rom issue??? I don't know, that's a strange one.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I installed the third kicker, it was fairly easy, I also installed the vuk, it was not easy... took a year to source all of the parts.

The manual still lists the switches, solenoids, etc for the ball popper and the third kicker. Once you've got the parts do you just need to move the grey/white from the snake run target to the ball popper fork and run the rest of the wires as documented in the manual?Does the upper kicker make things a bit more interesting up there?

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I just put this cool toy in, wish I could find a few more skaters this size, especially one that's doing a tail slide

That looks pretty sweet. The whole table does. Did you make the lip on the vertical ramp or did you manage to find an unbroken one? I'm missing the portion from the 1st to 2nd screws while seems to result in the occasional air ball.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I don't seem to have the skill shot issue you are having, maybe spend some time filling in the screw holes for the shooter guide and reposition the guide and re drill the holes so the guide stays put.

I was only able to get to one of the screws behind the guide while the ramps were on so I'm hoping that it'll stay put properly when I put it all back together again. I've seen someone else commenting on the same problem (not sure if it was on here or elsewhere), with the same result - the plastic above the two targets under the Vertical ramp is cracked and the upper target has been hammered.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

My snake run is also fine, maybe your switches need some adjustment, maybe not, maybe it's a rom issue??? I don't know, that's a strange one.

The only switch I've had issues with was the upper left ramp one (and now that I've got the table apart I can see why that happens - the upper left flipper has destroyed the cables) so I think it's a bug. It certainly only happens very infrequently.

I've seen the following sequence cause problems, I think always on the last player, last ball: with a ball already locked, drop the three upper targets, then lock the ball in the left lock, after the award sequence, the machine punts out both balls. I'm not sure it ever happens in single player. From memory, the ROM is European L1. I'll have a better play with this and see if I can reliably trigger the bug when I put everything back together - still waiting on parts to fix the GI connector on the interconnect board.

#104 2 years ago

Something I've noticed with the table I have is that the left edge guide of the shooter lane has been getting damaged. Occasionally the ball hangs up between the post, guide and gate, and I think the gate comes back into the lane too far as the right guide also has scratches/dents where the gate comes back and hits it. I'll add pictures later today.

This other post has a picture of a gate that looks similar, but very different to the one installed in the machine I have:

Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Cool you found a Radical! Congrats. Here's a pic for ya, hope it helps. I think the link you have from BAA is the ball trough gate, which my game is missing but doesn't need anyway. I can't find one that says specifically that it is for Radical, but this one for F-14 Tomcat looks like the same part.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6731

Can anyone take a pic of the gate at the end of their shooter lane for me?

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

The manual still lists the switches, solenoids, etc for the ball popper and the third kicker. Once you've got the parts do you just need to move the grey/white from the snake run target to the ball popper fork and run the rest of the wires as documented in the manual?Does the upper kicker make things a bit more interesting up there?

That looks pretty sweet. The whole table does. Did you make the lip on the vertical ramp or did you manage to find an unbroken one? I'm missing the portion from the 1st to 2nd screws while seems to result in the occasional air ball.

I was only able to get to one of the screws behind the guide while the ramps were on so I'm hoping that it'll stay put properly when I put it all back together again. I've seen someone else commenting on the same problem (not sure if it was on here or elsewhere), with the same result - the plastic above the two targets under the Vertical ramp is cracked and the upper target has been hammered.

The only switch I've had issues with was the upper left ramp one (and now that I've got the table apart I can see why that happens - the upper left flipper has destroyed the cables) so I think it's a bug. It certainly only happens very infrequently.
I've seen the following sequence cause problems, I think always on the last player, last ball: with a ball already locked, drop the three upper targets, then lock the ball in the left lock, after the award sequence, the machine punts out both balls. I'm not sure it ever happens in single player. From memory, the ROM is European L1. I'll have a better play with this and see if I can reliably trigger the bug when I put everything back together - still waiting on parts to fix the GI connector on the interconnect board.

On the third kicker, put in the parts and wire it to an empty transistor on the mpu.
The kicker only fires at about 20%, which is perfect, 100% would be way too much action.

On the popper... what worked for me... put all of the mechanical parts in, wire the popper solenoid directly to the snake drop targets solenoid, put a rollover switch in the subway and move the snake target switch wires to the subway rollover switch. The rom will make the game go bananas if the switch is wired to the popper fork. When the snake switch is activated the award sequence starts and then the snake drop targets reset; also firing the popper to pop the ball back into play. The code is not present in the game to allow the snake target to be pressed for a legenthy period of time and to my knowledge does not fire the transistor for the popper.

My vertical ramp lip is original... I don't think my game saw much route use, I plan to shop it soon, but it hasn't needed it since I got it so I have not felt pressured to pull ramps off or anything else for that matter. With the exception of installing everything for the popper and kicker

#106 2 years ago

I would not mind adding a radical to my collection, anyone looking to sell or trade?

#107 2 years ago

PAPA fixed this for tournament use. PM me if you need the file, but you can use their version and the jackpot is 5mil every time.

Quoted from ajfclark:

The random Mega Millions jackpot.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

PAPA fixed this for tournament use. PM me if you need the file, but you can use their version and the jackpot is 5mil every time.

I have a copy, but not the facilities to program it into an eprom. Given it's not actually my table I've been hesitant to buy one off tools to fix things.

1 week later
#109 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

This issue seems to have been resolved just through disassembling, cleaning and reassembling everything. There seems to be a slight groove that the guide sits in that it wasn't in before I cleaned it up.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I thought the switches were fine, but while I was reassembling the machine I noticed there are occasions when the lock lane switch caught on the edge of the slot so perhaps that was the fault? The ball not registering as it went in for the cool bounce out thing it does so the machine then bouncing out both balls?

Quoted from ajfclark:

Can anyone take a pic of the gate at the end of their shooter lane for me?

Would still like a picture of this gate if anyone can post one?

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

This issue seems to have been resolved just through disassembling, cleaning and reassembling everything. There seems to be a slight groove that the guide sits in that it wasn't in before I cleaned it up.

I thought the switches were fine, but while I was reassembling the machine I noticed there are occasions when the lock lane switch caught on the edge of the slot so perhaps that was the fault? The ball not registering as it went in for the cool bounce out thing it does so the machine then bouncing out both balls?

Would still like a picture of this gate if anyone can post one?

I can post a pic later, some actually remove the gate on purpose for added bonus when hitting the shooter lane switch??, plus it give an opportunity for the snake run skill shot again??

I keep mine in place, and I mounted a tech deck dog town skate board to it.

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I can post a pic later, some actually remove the gate on purpose for added bonus when hitting the shooter lane switch??, plus it give an opportunity for the snake run skill shot again??
I keep mine in place, and I mounted a tech deck dog town skate board to it.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to see that.

TIA for posting pics. When you take them, I'm particularly interested in the shape of the wireform as the one I have is swinging back into the right guide and denting it.

#113 2 years ago

killer looking game

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It slid back again today, note the guide against the rubber. It's probably less noticeable with the new post sleeves, but I'd prefer the plunger shot to not cannon into the bonus targets as the plastic there is already damaged:
20170319_180935 (resized).jpg
After adjusting it back out again, gap between guide and rubber:
20170319_181555 (resized).jpg
I can't tell if I just haven't done it up tight enough or if it's slowly undoing over time. If it happens again I'll compare with these pictures.

Out of interest, what angle do people put their Radical! at? The manual says 7 degrees.

#115 2 years ago

Carrots and black waters are a natural fit.

IMG_3667 (resized).JPG
IMG_3668 (resized).JPG
IMG_3674 (resized).JPG
IMG_3671 (resized).JPG
IMG_3676 (resized).JPG

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

It slid back again today, note the guide against the rubber. It's probably less noticeable with the new post sleeves, but I'd prefer the plunger shot to not cannon into the bonus targets as the plastic there is already damaged:

After adjusting it back out again, gap between guide and rubber:

I can't tell if I just haven't done it up tight enough or if it's slowly undoing over time. If it happens again I'll compare with these pictures.
Out of interest, what angle do people put their Radical! at? The manual says 7 degrees.

I have mine at 7.5 degrees

Maybe tap that last hole on the adjustment bracket and put a screw in it to hold it there...

Here's a few pics of mine

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have mine at 7.5 degrees

Does that make the top loops hard to hit?

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Maybe tap that last hole on the adjustment bracket and put a screw in it to hold it there...
Here's a few pics of mine

Ah, thanks heaps. That might have helped narrow down the issue. Is that the original wireform? The one on this table is missing the tab on the left that stops the gate swinging back into the right guide... I wonder if that's what's knocking the guide back? The ball sometimes hits it pretty hard from the left slingshot and when it comes back down the top left ramp.

#118 2 years ago

i made insert decals for my radical, and i have few decals sets more, if somebody need it, let me know.

IMG_7406 (resized).JPG

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

i made insert decals for my radical, and i have few decals sets more, if somebody need it, let me know.

awesome!

pm sent!

#120 2 years ago

Here you can see this decals it's not transparent in colors area. i hope it will be looks fine when you put it in your machine. maybe when it will be illuminated by bulbs, it probably will be little bit transparent, but i am not sure about it, because i am not installed in my machine, yet. This is not original, this is reproduction. Please note it. i have 2 options for decals, with border and without, you can choose it, if you want to do outlines by paint you can choose without borders.

Sorry for dirty fingers

IMG_7407 (resized).jpg

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Radical!

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

awesome!
pm sent!

Which ones bruh? Outlined or no?

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Which ones bruh? Outlined or no?

one of each

Cover my bases

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

one of each
Cover my bases

I also will take one of each please, PM sent

#125 2 years ago

Yo! Second run of radical decal inserts will be ready on next week. Who don't ordered it, and need it, let me know what version you want with borders or without. Also i am working on plastics reproduction. if somebody need replacement playfield plastics, let me know part numbers and i will let you know when it will be available.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Yo! Second run of radical decal inserts will be ready on next week. Who don't ordered it, and need it, let me know what version you want with borders or without. Also i am working on plastics reproduction. if somebody need replacement playfield plastics, let me know part numbers and i will let you know when it will be available.

Some body had the Santa Cruz screaming hand on the "advance radical letter " plastic... could you make those? I can photoshop the image

#127 2 years ago

it's red and green plastic part?

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

it's red and green plastic part?

I could photoshop one a little better if you're going to make the plastics

IMG_4398 (resized).PNG

IMG_4396 (resized).JPG

#129 2 years ago

My plastic here broken too

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

My plastic here broken too

Mine too. I've found a scan of it (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-pinballneed-photo#post-669387) but I haven't been able to track down a left slingshot, the lip of the vertical ramp.

The one I'm really keen to get a scan of is the small purple and orange between the jet bumpers as that's completely missing and I've only managed to find a low res one that I'm not sure has the right proportions:plastic (resized).png

1 week later
#131 2 years ago

Hi! Who asked me about insert decals early thru PM, i will contact with you tomorrow. Tomorrow i will have in hands new part of decals. If somebody else want it. PM me. Also i will order reproduction parts on playfield. if you want something let me know.

#132 2 years ago

Anyone ever hear of a true Radical backglass? There's a listing for a game on EBay today with a game that claims to have one.

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi! Who asked me about insert decals early thru PM, i will contact with you tomorrow. Tomorrow i will have in hands new part of decals. If somebody else want it. PM me. Also i will order reproduction parts on playfield. if you want something let me know.

I have not gotten either set of decals I ordered a while back...

Any idea on how long before we should expect to see them?

#134 2 years ago

whysnow I sent you tracking. Decals in USA right now. Hope you get it on days.

#135 2 years ago

image (resized).jpg

Anybody know where I can buy this trim?

#136 2 years ago

What size rubber do people have at the start of the top left ramp, below the top left flipper, facing the jet bumpers?
Screenshot_2017-04-11_10-10-28 (resized).png
The manual says 1 1/2", but unless it's doubled up or something, that'd just flop around?

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I got some previous cards from the internet, and modified them pretty heavily, if I remember correctly. So not all of this is my work, but a lot of it is. Hope they're something you can use.

Does anyone have these sized in a .pdf?

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Does anyone have these sized in a .pdf?

They should come out 152mm x 82mm.

The only ones I can find in PDF are: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_Radical_instruction_cards.zip

I think the original source was the ones by Mike S (muddeatr@comcast.net) linked here http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm
RadScore1 (resized).jpgRadScore2 (resized).jpg
I've been tempted to redo them. The hands not lining up with the text is bothering me.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

They should come out 152mm x 82mm.
The only ones I can find in PDF are: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Bally/Bally_Radical_instruction_cards.zip
I think the original source was the ones by Mike S (muddeatr@comcast.net) linked here http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm

I've been tempted to redo them. The hands not lining up with the text is bothering me.

The logo above the instructions is odd.
Otherwise nice!

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The logo above the instructions is odd.
Otherwise nice!

Yeah, there's a few things odd about it. The hands not lining up always bothered me. The original cards do say Radical across the top with the little skateboard icons (http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/radicalscore.jpg).

Here's a quick combination of the text from Inkochnito's site (http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/) and the background from the above:
Bally_Radical_custom_instruction_card.png

#141 2 years ago

I'm working with a graphic designer to produce these.
Is anyone interested?

20170413_085230 (resized).png

#142 2 years ago

I don't think it should say RADICAL on them....maybe like that SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME logo or something

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'm working with a graphic designer to produce these.
Is anyone interested?

Those are cool, but yeah loose the radical!
Really like the "skater or die" and the skater,

#144 2 years ago

Game play question:

There's two ways to enter the snake lock, via the Snake lane/R shot at the lower left, or via the Bust-A-Move/I shot ramp in the top right (or the third a super lucky dribble up the top left ramp that doesn't make it across the X, but that's effectively the same as hitting the Bust-A-Move ramp).

Looking at the behaviour when the ball is getting into the lock via the Bust-A-Move ramp:

When I don't have a ball already locked: the ball is kicked out, nothing is awarded. eg. if the Snake Run is active, nothing happens and it doesn't light the R.

When I do have a ball locked: when the ball hits the gate in the lower left side of the X ramp the locked ball is kicked out, it hits the lock lane switch (highest of the three) and the R is awarded and the Snake Run animation/music/etc happens if that's currently active.

Is this a bug in the code or is this the expected behaviour or do I have something odd going on that I should be trying to debug?

20170319_184359 (resized).jpg

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I don't think it should say RADICAL on them....maybe like that SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME logo or something

I was trying to get a bit of the orange color in on the sides but didn't quite know what to go with so we decided on that.

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I was trying to get a bit of the orange color in on the sides but didn't quite know what to go with so we decided on that.

You could have your graphic designer take a photo of the translite and grab the original Radical logo and tweak the colors, at least to have it correct since you're already going through the trouble

2 weeks later
#147 2 years ago

Finally got around to leveling Radical, and discovered the playfield incline had been at 9 degrees! Yeehaw! No wonder it played so dang fast haha... It's much calmer at 7.1 degrees, and I guess I should dial it back to 6.5.

Also just got the order off to Marco's for the shop job parts, can't wait!

#148 2 years ago

Correction, the manual specifies 7 degrees.

#149 2 years ago

Somebody know where i can get 03-8230-3 glass retainer?
03-8230-3 molding (resized).jpg

#150 2 years ago

Pinball Centre has a great range of gear like this. If I remember right I did a Dr Dude channel from the same mob, just in chromed plastic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 41.00
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
There are 548 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside