20240120_151724 (resized).jpg
20240120_151707 (resized).jpg
20240120_151621 (resized).jpg
20240120_151628 (resized).jpg
20240120_145925 (resized).jpg
20240120_145918 (resized).jpg
20240120_151542 (resized).jpg
20240120_151600 (resized).jpg
There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 23.
#1051 1 year ago

After the installation of the Radical VUK I saw that not having a ball search was gonna be an issue. I did not want to downgrade back to prototype ROMs and lose the many improvements the SOREN ROMs gave us. So I used an Arduino to perform a ball search function on the VUK.

As soon as the ball lands on the VUK fork switch it triggers the Arduino to start a timer. After 12 seconds, 2 relays flip the VUK Coil wiring from the normal state to a separate path. Half a second later a MOSFET pulses closed which sends 75v (tapped from the slings) through a 2.5A fuse to the VUK Coil. The other side of the coil is grounded at that point. If the ball falls back onto the fork switch, the MOSFET will pulse every 4 seconds.

Once the ball is launched off the fork switch, the relays revert the wiring to normal.

Done!

20230406_210351 (resized).jpg20230406_210351 (resized).jpgsignal-2023-04-05-20-07-09-424 (resized).jpgsignal-2023-04-05-20-07-09-424 (resized).jpg
#1052 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

After the installation of the Radical VUK I saw that not having a ball search was gonna be an issue. I did not want to downgrade back to prototype ROMs and lose the many improvements the SOREN ROMs gave us. So I used an Arduino to perform a ball search function on the VUK.

As soon as the ball lands on the VUK fork switch it triggers the Arduino to start a timer. After 12 seconds, 2 relays flip the VUK Coil wiring from the normal state to a separate path. Half a second later a MOSFET pulses closed which sends 75v (tapped from the slings) through a 2.5A fuse to the VUK Coil. The other side of the coil is grounded at that point. If the ball falls back onto the fork switch, the MOSFET will pulse every 4 seconds.
Once the ball is launched off the fork switch, the relays revert the wiring to normal.
Done![quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful!! Great job!

#1053 1 year ago

In case anyone else wishes to install the VUK ball-search MOD like I did, here is a list of materials and a crude wiring diagram. I don't have the time right now to trace this out in a computer, but perhaps someone else can help there. I'm no electrical engineer, so any mod you make to your game is your responsibility!!

You'll need:

1. Arduino (Nano, Pro Mini, Uno, etc)

2. Two Relays. I used these: (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ARCELI-KY-019-Channel-Module-Arduino/dp/B07BVXT1ZK/ref=sr_1_5)

3. An Arduino-controllable MOSFET. I used this: (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0924J4R47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00)

4. Some sort of box to mount it in. The box I designed and printed is saved here: (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5957910)

5. 2.5A fuse holder & fuse to protect the VUK coil (when it is in standalone-firing mode).

6. 1N4004 diode to prevent a voltage spike (on the standalone-firing side). I forgot to draw this on the wiring diagram.

7. Wire, and some resistors. I used a 30 ohm current-limiting resistor in-line with the positive 5v feeding the Arduino.

8. LEDs to indicate status (optional)

9. VUK assembly with a fork switch, IR sensor, or another method of sensing the presence of the ball.

10. 10k ohm pull-up/pull-down resistor for the Fork switch sensing line. This keeps the line from "floating" and giving false inputs to the Arduinio.
20230408_113837 (resized).jpg20230408_113837 (resized).jpg

And here is the Arduino code. Pay special attention to the pin numbers and what each input/output does. The pin numbers used in the code don't match exactly to my wiring schematic (as this was drawn days earlier) so PLEASE review the code descriptions (after the double slashes) and the diagram for yourself and you should see what wires need to be connected to where. I strongly recommend you build it on a breadboard and test it out before installing anything into your machine!!!

Arduino Code:

const int pin7 = 7; // input pin for checking status of VUK Fork Switch
const int pin5 = 5; // output pin for pulsing VUK Coil MOSFET and LED2
const int pin3 = 3; // output pin for illuminating LED1
const int pin9 = 9; // output pin for closing relay #1
const int pin11 = 11; // output pin for closing relay #2

void setup() {
pinMode(pin7, INPUT);
pinMode(pin5, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin3, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin9, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin11, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(pin9, HIGH); // Open Relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, HIGH); // Open Relay 2
if (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // check if pin 7 is high (VUK fork switch closed)
digitalWrite(pin3, HIGH); // illuminate BLUE LED1 on pin 3
delay(11000); // wait 11 seconds
if (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // check if pin 7 is still high
digitalWrite(pin9, LOW); // Close relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, LOW); // Close relay 2
delay(1000); // Delay to allow relays to close
digitalWrite(pin5, HIGH); // pulse pin 5 (VUK Coil) and RED LED for 30ms
delay(30);
digitalWrite(pin5, LOW);
delay(4000); // wait 4 seconds
while (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // continue pulsing pin 5 every 4 seconds if pin 7 remains high
digitalWrite(pin5, HIGH);
delay(30);
digitalWrite(pin5, LOW);
delay(4000);

}
}
digitalWrite(pin3, LOW); // turn off BLUE LED on pin 3
digitalWrite(pin9, HIGH); // Open Relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, HIGH); // Open Relay 2
}
}

#1054 1 year ago

Dang!!!!

#1055 1 year ago

Awesome!!! That’s so good, thank you DuffysArcade

#1056 1 year ago

In case anyone else wishes to install the VUK ball-search MOD like I did, here is a list of materials and a crude wiring diagram. I don't have the time right now to trace this out in a computer, but perhaps someone else can help there. I'm no electrical engineer, so any mod you make to your game is your responsibility!!

Couple of questions...

"normal 75v coil power"
means coil power from drop targets correct?
"normal coil ground"
means ground from from drop targets correct?

"Standalone ground"
means common ground from the machine?

the little breakout board, it looks like it is just handling 5v and common ground correct?

#1057 1 year ago

Anybody willing to part with one? Send me a dm if so, thanks.

#1058 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Couple of questions...
"normal 75v coil power"
means coil power from drop targets correct?
"normal coil ground"
means ground from from drop targets correct?
"Standalone ground"
means common ground from the machine?
the little breakout board, it looks like it is just handling 5v and common ground correct?

Normal 75v coil power is from the yellow/purple wire at the 3-bank drop target. You have already daisy chained this to your VUK coil....but now instead of going straight to your VUK coil, this wire will now daisy-chain from that 3-bank coil and go into the input pole of the relay that you use to flip the power wires.

The normal ground is daisy-chained from the other wire at your 3-bank drop target coil (brown?). This comes from your MPU (thru A/C select relay I believe). Now it will go through the input pole of the relay which you use to flip the grounds.

The "stand-alone" 75v was daisy-chained off of the left slingshot coil and routed down along the pf left side. It goes in the normally OPEN side of that relay. Install a 2.5A fuse on this wire before it goes into the relay/MOSFET.

The stand-alone ground is just a machine ground. I connected mine to a screw attaching the metal vent plate behind the playfield. Hooks to the normally OPEN side of that relay.

The are obviously other ways of wiring this, but I wanted to be absolutely sure I wouldn't damage my machine by allowing the standalone 75v to feed back to my MPU somehow. The two relays ensure that the normal wiring is completely isolated when that VUK coil fires in "stand-alone ball search mode".

And yes, my little breakout board inside the Grey box simply allows easier 5v and ground Arduino, relay, LED, connections.

#1059 1 year ago

Normal 75v coil power is from the yellow/purple wire at the 3-bank drop target. You have already daisy chained this to your VUK coil....but now instead of going straight to your VUK coil, this wire will now daisy-chain from that 3-bank coil and go into the input pole of the relay that you use to flip the power wires.
The normal ground is daisy-chained from the other wire at your 3-bank drop target coil (brown?). This comes from your MPU (thru A/C select relay I believe). Now it will go through the input pole of the relay which you use to flip the grounds.
The "stand-alone" 75v was daisy-chained off of the left slingshot coil and routed down along the pf left side. It goes in the normally OPEN side of that relay. Install a 2.5A fuse on this wire before it goes into the relay/MOSFET.
The stand-alone ground is just a machine ground. I connected mine to a screw attaching the metal vent plate behind the playfield. Hooks to the normally OPEN side of that relay.
The are obviously other ways of wiring this, but I wanted to be absolutely sure I wouldn't damage my machine by allowing the standalone 75v to feed back to my MPU somehow. The two relays ensure that the normal wiring is completely isolated when that VUK coil fires in "stand-alone ball search mode".
And yes, my little breakout board inside the Grey box simply allows easier 5v and ground Arduino, relay, LED, connections.

Thank you for clarifying, I was 95% certain on the wiring

#1060 1 year ago

Soon to be owner here, diamond plate PF. Cannot wait! Does anyone have a decal made or an art file for the middle decal on the apron? Mine looks to have a couple noticeable scratches in it.

1 week later
#1061 11 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Soon to be owner here, diamond plate PF. Cannot wait! Does anyone have a decal made or an art file for the middle decal on the apron? Mine looks to have a couple noticeable scratches in it.

sorry man, I could take a photo of mine if you want

#1062 11 months ago

Yall.... here is a link to the VUK MOD, please cuss and discuss the mod here, major props to DuffysArcade for being the genius behind this greatness

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-vuk-mod#post-7548263

also; here is the schematic I drew up for this mod and the code I refined for my machine.

along with Duffy, we refined the schematic, but please fuse the 75v line from the sling shots for good measure. even though there is a fuse on the aux power supply.

Arduino code::

const int pin7 = 7; // input pin for checking status of VUK Fork Switch
const int pin5 = 5; // output pin for pulsing VUK Coil MOSFET and RED LED2
const int pin3 = 3; // output pin for illuminating BLUE LED1
const int pin9 = 9; // output pin for closing relay #1
const int pin11 = 11; // output pin for closing relay #2
void setup() {
pinMode(pin7, INPUT);
pinMode(pin5, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin3, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin9, OUTPUT);
pinMode(pin11, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
digitalWrite(pin9, LOW); // Open Relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, LOW); // Open Relay 2
if (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // check if pin 7 is high (VUK fork switch closed)
digitalWrite(pin3, HIGH); // illuminate BLUE LED1 on pin 3
delay(11000); // wait 11 seconds
if (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // check if pin 7 is still high
digitalWrite(pin9, HIGH); // Close relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, HIGH); // Close relay 2
delay(1000); // Delay to allow relays to close
digitalWrite(pin5, HIGH); // pulse pin 5 (VUK Coil) and RED LED for 30ms
delay(30);
digitalWrite(pin5, LOW);
delay(4000); // wait 4 seconds
while (digitalRead(pin7) == HIGH) { // continue pulsing pin 5 every 4 seconds if pin 7 remains high
digitalWrite(pin5, HIGH);
delay(30);
digitalWrite(pin5, LOW);
delay(4000);
}
}
digitalWrite(pin3, LOW); // turn off BLUE LED on pin 3
digitalWrite(pin9, LOW); // Open Relay 1
digitalWrite(pin11, LOW); // Open Relay 2
}
}

IMG-1935 (resized).jpgIMG-1935 (resized).jpgRADICAL VUK Rev 2 (resized).pngRADICAL VUK Rev 2 (resized).png
#1063 11 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

sorry man, I could take a photo of mine if you want

Definitely can't hurt. Thank you so much!

3 weeks later
#1064 11 months ago

Hi does anybody have any information on the ramp decals. I am about to replace my ramps with the new ones I just bought and realized they don’t come with new decals. Any help would be great thanks!

#1065 11 months ago
Quoted from SkateOrDie:

Hi does anybody have any information on the ramp decals. I am about to replace my ramps with the new ones I just bought and realized they don’t come with new decals. Any help would be great thanks!

I contacted Planetary on this some time ago. They do not have them but said if someone could scan them, they would make them. I've been gun shy about removing decals thus far but you generally freeze them or heat them to get them off.

#1066 11 months ago

Now that I think about it, they have adhesive on the front side so I guess you'd have to get a good photo vs scan.

#1067 11 months ago
Quoted from SkateOrDie:

The Radical Decals come off pretty easily with freeze spray. The glue on the decals can be cleaned with Goo-Gone or even WD40. 3M makes a product 467MP that can be used to put new adhesive on the decals to remount.

#1068 11 months ago

Thank you all for the quick responses! This is a awesome group!

#1069 10 months ago

I’m excited to join this club as new owner of S/N 2015 430022 with Diamond Plate PF, a hole in the back left corner for the VUK, and the Bally logo sits higher toward the upper trim. Assembled June 1990.

And as a new member, I come bearing gifts in the form of Pinsound mixes to enjoy! More on those in the next post.

Received the game 3 weeks ago and have been undergoing my usual new game treatment of every corner & crevice cleaned, tune-up review of all mechs, new lighting scheme, rubbers, refreshing aesthetic pieces, etc.

Dirty everywhere and grimey in spots, it’s polished up to be a solid example. After a few repairs it plays great.

Tomorrow, Soren’s 3.0 roms arrive and next week a Slime Balls skate wheel shooter rod and trim for the mirrored backglass I grabbed.

To make time for creating/testing pinsound, I shopped everything but the PF. Next week is the final step of a top side tear-down with correct flipper bats, colored rubbers, GI LEDs, matrix lighting accents and a couple spotlights. I'll share pics when it's done.

Then it’s nothing but enjoying this every day of the summer and beyond while building on Pinsound.

#1070 10 months ago

***RADICAL! PINSOUND DEMO***

What better way to kick off Memorial Day weekend and summer than with new features for the one and only Radical! The ultimate fun in the sun game.

Linked below are the raw demo versions of my mix featuring Gorilla Biscuits ‘High Hopes’ and The Tremors ‘Pyschedelia’.

I enjoy creating Pinsound mixes, and after 5+ years in the brutal Carpathian Mountains building two huge Pinsound mixes for my beloved BSD, The Expanded Mixes: Dracula and Lucy, I desired a change to something upbeat and lighthearted, and Radical! was always top of my list to make the swap for in time/space/funds.

This Monday I got my new Pinsound board running and went to work with the ideas I’ve been craving for years.

This is all very raw, still has some original sounds mixed in, and will have more layers of new elements as I assemble it. Just scratching the surface.

Usually with my mixes, I like to have as many different sounds as possible to a particular action for the game to choose from, so it keeps it fresh or you hear new things along the way. More will be added to everything.

Anything repetitive, out of place, or odd volumes will eventually be cleaned up.

The plan is to have a general foundation of game sounds all versions play on, with various song packages as the different options to choose.

GAME FEATURES:

- The game starts and ends with voices from old skate videos of that ’85-’90 bygone era.

- RADICAL letters are collected as you make the crowd cheer with each trick.

- There’s sounds of ramps at the in-lanes, boards rolling at the spinners, grinding against the stand ups, wheel skids at the slings, press cameras distracting you at the pops, hissing and striking snakes, plus more.

- All songs featured are either from old skate videos or at the very least from that time period.

Enjoy and stay tuned for updates to these mixes and more song editions. Again, this is just a demo.

For those who want to run these mixes right now, here’s a Google Drive link to the zip files…

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HMtC3Dqolcmm7Ts6mN9oTWG65ZOz7u9G?usp=sharing

#1071 10 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

What better way to kick off Memorial Day weekend and summer than with new features for the one and only Radical! The ultimate fun in the sun game.
Linked below are the raw demo versions of my mix featuring Gorilla Biscuits ‘High Hopes’ and The Tremors ‘Pyschedelia’.
I enjoy creating Pinsound mixes, and after 5+ years in the brutal Carpathian Mountains building two huge Pinsound mixes for my beloved BSD, The Expanded Mixes: Dracula and Lucy, I desired a change to something upbeat and lighthearted, and Radical! was always top of my list to make the swap for in time/space/funds.
This Monday I got my new Pinsound board running and went to work with the ideas I’ve been craving for years.
This is all very raw, still has some original sounds mixed in, and will have more layers of new elements as I assemble it. Just scratching the surface.
Usually with my mixes, I like to have as many different sounds as possible to a particular action for the game to choose from, so it keeps it fresh or you hear new things along the way. More will be added to everything.
Anything repetitive, out of place, or odd volumes will eventually be cleaned up.
The plan is to have a general foundation of game sounds all versions play on, with various song packages as the different options to choose.
GAME FEATURES:
The game starts and ends with voices from old skate videos of that ’85-’90 bygone era.
RADICAL letters are collected as you make the crowd cheer with each trick.
There’s sounds of ramps at the in-lanes, boards rolling at the spinners, grinding against the stand ups, wheel skids at the slings, press cameras distracting you at the pops, hissing and striking snakes, plus more.
All songs featured are either from old skate videos or at the very least from that time period.
Enjoy and stay tuned for updates to these mixes and more song editions. Again, this is just a demo.
For those who want to run these mixes right now, here’s a Google Drive link to the zip files…
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HMtC3Dqolcmm7Ts6mN9oTWG65ZOz7u9G?usp=sharing

Awesome work so far !

This is going to be a great addition

#1072 10 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

GAME FEATURES:
- The game starts and ends with voices from old skate videos of that ’85-’90 bygone era.
- RADICAL letters are collected as you make the crowd cheer with each trick.
- There’s sounds of ramps at the in-lanes, boards rolling at the spinners, grinding against the stand ups, wheel skids at the slings, press cameras distracting you at the pops, hissing and striking snakes, plus more.
- All songs featured are either from old skate videos or at the very least from that time period.

Awesome! I have a pinsound in mine as well. I pulled sound calls from old skate vids of that era as well. My opener is "We are gearing up for what they call getting down". I'm still thinking about music. The problem I kept thinking about was how the keyboard riffs(ramp shot sounds) would probably be out of key and tempo from whatever main track I added. I could change the tempo and pitch of the keyboard riffs in Pro Tools, replay them on guitar, or come up with new licks on guitar. Skateboard sound fx make more sense for the ramps. Thanks for sharing! I'll try your ramp sounds and start playing around with songs on mine. There is a bunch of stuff in the sound rom on this thing that doesn't appear to be used. It was a lot of work to map which sounds are tied to which functions in the game. It seems like the main songs used are the shooter lane groove, general gameplay tune and multiball tune.

#1073 10 months ago

Maybe consider pulling stuff from the skitchin, skate or Tony hawk games??

#1074 10 months ago

I'd love to get me a Radical, such a cool looking classic!

#1075 10 months ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Awesome! I have a pinsound in mine as well. I pulled sound calls from old skate vids of that era as well. My opener is "We are gearing up for what they call getting down". I'm still thinking about music. The problem I kept thinking about was how the keyboard riffs(ramp shot sounds) would probably be out of key and tempo from whatever main track I added. I could change the tempo and pitch of the keyboard riffs in Pro Tools, replay them on guitar, or come up with new licks on guitar. Skateboard sound fx make more sense for the ramps. Thanks for sharing! I'll try your ramp sounds and start playing around with songs on mine. There is a bunch of stuff in the sound rom on this thing that doesn't appear to be used. It was a lot of work to map which sounds are tied to which functions in the game.

I like where you're heading! The more the merrier for the community for sure. Reach out anytime if you have questions or issues, or want me to run a draft mix through mine for testing. I'll be updating my two Google Drive files here shortly with slight polishing/updates, then diving into this top-side teardown before returning to expand on the mixes with maybe a new song edition or two.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Maybe consider pulling stuff from the skitchin, skate or Tony hawk games??

I'm always on the hunt haha. The possibilities are a plenty as skateboarding was well documented in pop-culture, is synonymous with different eras and genres as music not only motivated the skaters, but drove the videos in which people became infatuated and wanted to be skaters.

For now, I'm purposely floating in the 1985-1990(ish) timeframe for the music and dialogue as much as I can, just to keep the nostalgia oozing out of the game. Once my foundation of "interactive skating sounds" are feeling full and dialed in I'll be experimenting with many different songs. There's some classic skate tracks in the TH games as you mentioned.

#1076 10 months ago

Has anyone replaced their speakers up in the panel with good results? I searched the thread but didn't see any posts on it. I've had good experiences with the Pyle Blue Label speakers series in my previous games, easily found and inexpensive, and already put a new cab speaker in.

For Radical, there's a 5" and a 4" speaker (4 ohm 180-200 watts) in the upper panel, as shown below. Pyle has a 4" speaker (4 ohm & 180 watt) but the closest option to the other is a 5.25". Curious if anyone got that to fit or not.

And I take it that to get to the speakers I remove the black grate, undo the two screws on each side and the panel comes out forward for access to them?

My goal is to replace them and wire for stereo.

https://www.amazon.com/5-25-Sound-Speaker-Pair-Non-fatiguing/dp/B00022OBO2/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_1/138-0890529-1306753

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 12.09.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-05-29 at 12.09.33 PM (resized).png
#1077 10 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I like where you're heading! The more the merrier for the community for sure. Reach out anytime if you have questions or issues, or want me to run a draft mix through mine for testing. I'll be updating my two Google Drive files here shortly with slight polishing/updates, then diving into this top-side teardown before returning to expand on the mixes with maybe a new song edition or two.

I'm always on the hunt haha. The possibilities are a plenty as skateboarding was well documented in pop-culture, is synonymous with different eras and genres as music not only motivated the skaters, but drove the videos in which people became infatuated and wanted to be skaters.
For now, I'm purposely floating in the 1985-1990(ish) timeframe for the music and dialogue as much as I can, just to keep the nostalgia oozing out of the game. Once my foundation of "interactive skating sounds" are feeling full and dialed in I'll be experimenting with many different songs. There's some classic skate tracks in the TH games as you mentioned.

Tony hawk has a documentary out that features some great music selections you are discussing

Here is my apply playlist of this
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/tony-hawk-doc/pl.u-jV8994ks1AZM7

Unrelated…. One track I have never found a stereo recording of is Thrashin by meatloaf
Such a great 80’s skateboard song I thought would go well with Radicals theme

Quoted from davebart5:

Has anyone replaced their speakers up in the panel with good results? I searched the thread but didn't see any posts on it. I've had good experiences with the Pyle Blue Label speakers series in my previous games, easily found and inexpensive, and already put a new cab speaker in.
For Radical, there's a 5" and a 4" speaker (4 ohm 180-200 watts) in the upper panel, as shown below. Pyle has a 4" speaker (4 ohm & 180 watt) but the closest option to the other is a 5.25". Curious if anyone got that to fit or not.
And I take it that to get to the speakers I remove the black grate, undo the two screws on each side and the panel comes out forward for access to them?
My goal is to replace them and wire for stereo.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

I upgraded mine…. I can look in a day or two when I get home

#1078 10 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I upgraded mine…. I can look in a day or two when I get home

All set here. The Pyle 5.25” and 4” work perfectly. Access to the speakers and install couldn’t have been easier. Everything is sounding so full and great.

3 weeks later
#1079 9 months ago

Put in the art blades and they really look great.

20230624_140134 (resized).jpg20230624_140134 (resized).jpg20230624_140158 (resized).jpg20230624_140158 (resized).jpg
#1080 9 months ago

I like Mirror blades. Double the flashing power. This game has been sold.

#1081 9 months ago

I have a 5pc cabinet/backbox art set for a Radical that I purchased from pinball decals.eu. I sold mine before I actually got them. Anyone need a set. $125 plus shipping (half price).

IMG_0021 (resized).jpegIMG_0021 (resized).jpeg
#1082 9 months ago

After much delay, as I could not stop initially playing since acquiring early May, I finished an overhaul of my Radical and very happy with it. Looks, plays and sounds even better.

Realigned some mechs, re-sleeved coils and replaced various parts. Super dirty and grimy anywhere you touched. I went deep into all areas with a lot of Simple Green, Flitz, Novus and an entire bottle of CP100. Near total top-side stripped and no screw, washer, plastic, etc. went back on without inspection or a good cleaning.

Diamond plated PF held up well with a few inserts having wear along their edges. I want to replace them and clear it one day.

My goal now is to dial this in further and focus on my Pinsound mix with many song variations to choose from.

Pieces added...
- NOS translite w/ new stainless lift trim
- Soren 3.0 roms
- Wheel shooter rod
- Revived chrome Bally legs w/ green protectors
- Custom score cards
- LED's everywhere w/ 2 PF spotlight lamps
- Matrix light strips in the trough, under blue ramp, under right plastic, & above back PF
- Pyle speakers in the upper panel & cab
- Pinsound w/ headphone station, stereo harness and external sub
- Chrome trim along the sides of the head and upper panel
- Beefy leg plates & new bolts for all 4 inside cab
- Colored rubbers
- New yellow target decals
- Fresh white pop bumper bodies w/ clear caps & slow color change bulbs
- Palm trees for visual depth & world under glass feel

Next is NVRAM and possibly mirror blades.
IMG_4846 (resized).jpgIMG_4846 (resized).jpg

IMG_4821 (resized).jpgIMG_4821 (resized).jpgIMG_4822 (resized).jpgIMG_4822 (resized).jpgIMG_4823 (resized).jpgIMG_4823 (resized).jpgIMG_4824 (resized).jpgIMG_4824 (resized).jpgIMG_4829 (resized).jpgIMG_4829 (resized).jpgIMG_4831 (resized).jpgIMG_4831 (resized).jpgIMG_4832 (resized).jpgIMG_4832 (resized).jpgIMG_4834 (resized).jpgIMG_4834 (resized).jpgIMG_4838 (resized).jpgIMG_4838 (resized).jpgIMG_4848 (resized).jpgIMG_4848 (resized).jpgIMG_4844 (resized).jpgIMG_4844 (resized).jpgIMG_4840 (resized).jpgIMG_4840 (resized).jpg
#1083 9 months ago

As mentioned above, I replaced my shooter rod with a skateboard wheel, fabricated by Skill Shot Shooter Rods, link below. It spins and I'm very pleased with it. I purchased the product and told them I'll send the wheel I wanted to use.

https://superskillshot.com/products/copy-of-junkyard-black-mag-wheel-shooter?_pos=7&_sid=0a965c1d0&_ss=r&variant=39953506205759

I purposely sought out a retro wheel and these Santa Cruz Slime Balls were perfect not only in art and color, but they're 53mm, which feel nice in the hand when pulling back to shoot. Not too big or small. I've tested many sizes before settling on the 53's.

With that said, if anyone wanted to do this, I have 3 wheels remaining @ $9 each and happy to sell at cost and can ship to SSSR to fabricate for you. Good chance to not have to buy a $40+ pack of wheels yourself.

Just send me a DM if anyone wants to grab one.
IMG_4847 (resized).jpgIMG_4847 (resized).jpg

#1084 9 months ago

Has anyone upgraded to the Soren 3.0 roms and had a smooth experience? Ever since installing, I'm having all kinds of odd behavior and I just don't see how it can't be code related.

Things like...

- Upon spelling Radical I will sometimes get stuck in a limbo state where all letters are showing as collected so no more letter inserts lit, and the 3 Skate or Die lock shots aren't lit and won't even lock the ball, despite saying out loud it was ready to lock one. You sit there with nothing to shoot for but snakes and tailsliders.

- Out of nowhere, despite only having 2 letters accomplished, it threw itself into Skate or Die mode ready to lock a ball, and upon going in the lock ball trough, both balls just sit there without starting multiball. I'm pretty certain I didn't get a snake run award for Skate or Die and have a ball lock rollover switch issue.

- The C letter 3 drop target bank sometimes won't score the C and make me do the bank twice.

- Among a few other weird occurrences

It's almost unplayable and I reached out to Soren a few days ago asking if he was aware of any issues.

#1085 9 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Has anyone upgraded to the Soren 3.0 roms and had a smooth experience? Ever since installing, I'm having all kinds of odd behavior and I just don't see how it can't be code related.
Things like...
- Upon spelling Radical I will sometimes get stuck in a limbo state where all letters are showing as collected so no more letter inserts lit, and the 3 Skate or Die lock shots aren't lit and won't even lock the ball, despite saying out loud it was ready to lock one. You sit there with nothing to shoot for but snakes and tailsliders.
- Out of nowhere, despite only having 2 letters accomplished, it threw itself into Skate or Die mode ready to lock a ball, and upon going in the lock ball trough, both balls just sit there without starting multiball. I'm pretty certain I didn't get a snake run award for Skate or Die and have a ball lock rollover switch issue.
- The C letter 3 drop target bank sometimes won't score the C and make me do the bank twice.
- Among a few other weird occurrences
It's almost unplayable and I reached out to Soren a few days ago asking if he was aware of any issues.

Bro, Soren= Lyman Sheets Jr
RIP

Added 9 months ago:

I may have been misinformed

#1086 9 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Bro, Soren= Lyman Sheets Jr
RIP

I’m not sure I follow. Soren, who posted on Pinside 76 days ago and lives in Copenhagen, is Lyman Sheets Jr who passed January 2022 in Illinois?

I should probably reach out to Planetary Pinball where I bought them, just to see if anyone's encountered the same.

#1087 9 months ago

Here are two examples of what I'm experiencing with these 3.0 roms. It's not every game, but does occur here and there, and it's a momentum killer.

My settings are set to Extra Hard difficulty with Consolation Extra Ball, easy spot a letter, easy mega millions, etc. all turned off. Attract Mode is off as well, but those are the only adjustments.

Video 1 shows how I spelled RADICAL in full, was told the lock is lit, but no lighted inserts for Skate or Die or it's callouts. I throw a ball in one of the lock lanes to the snake trough and it spits it back out. During this, there's nothing to shoot for but snakes, tailsiders, and the million shot up the Bust A Move ramp. Only if I drain it proceeds to go back to normal and allows me to lock a ball.

Video 2 shows how I have a few letters scored with several to achieve, yet, only the A vertical ramp is lit and I already have that letter accomplished. When I drain the ball it then shows the correct inserts lit immediately on the next ball.

Has anyone experienced this? Could I have received a bad set or a draft version? I reached out to Soren and Planetary for feedback.

#1088 9 months ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I’m not sure I follow. Soren, who posted on Pinside 76 days ago and lives in Copenhagen, is Lyman Sheets Jr who passed January 2022 in Illinois?
I should probably reach out to Planetary Pinball where I bought them, just to see if anyone's encountered the same.

My apologies, I was going off something someone told me that knew Lyman. I sincerely thought they were one in the same, maybe I am wrong

As far as your findings of the discrepancy in the roms; I will watch your findings with great anticipation, I was of the understanding that most of the bugs were worked out

#1089 9 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My apologies, I was going off something someone told me that knew Lyman. I sincerely thought they were one in the same, maybe I am wrong
As far as your findings of the discrepancy in the roms; I will watch your findings with great anticipation, I was of the understanding that most of the bugs were worked out

All good! I can see how someone could think that. But he's very much alive. We just messaged each other and he's going to run some tests this weekend with my menu adjustments and look for the occurrences. I'm going to run games as well on factory default to see if anything is replicated.

3 weeks later
#1090 8 months ago

After a few months of slowly tweaking, experimenting and playing, I have several updates on the Radical! pinsound front.

Linked below are demos for 4 ready to be released mixes with at least 2 more on the way. If it shows blurry, just open the link into YouTube and your quality can be adjusted there.

The main songs are...

* Gorilla Biscuits - High Hopes
* Killing Joke - Eighties
* The Clash - Time is Tight
* The Tremors - Psychedelia

All mixes have the same foundational sounds (sfx, voices, etc.) but each has their own unique intro/gameplay songs + tail-sliders.

These are v1 editions and I plan on continuing to tweak, adjust volumes, and add more sfx/voices to all as I go. And of course new song editions.

These assets are mostly pulled from late 80's skate videos. My focus is on that era, but some music will dip into 70's punk and possibly early 90’s. But that's about as far as I want to deviate from the late 80's theme. Mostly punk/rock, but will eventually cover some jam band and hip-hop.

These are now added to the Pinsound website and can be downloaded here: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/11-radical/

#1091 8 months ago

Very cool. I might finally have to try Pinsound. Thanks for doing this. You had me at Killing Joke. Cheers!

Quoted from davebart5:After a few months of slowly tweaking, experimenting and playing, I have several updates on the Radical! pinsound front.
Linked below are demos for 4 ready to be released mixes with at least 2 more on the way. If it shows blurry, just open the link into YouTube and your quality can be adjusted there.
The main songs are...
* Gorilla Biscuits - High Hopes
* Killing Joke - Eighties
* The Clash - Time is Tight
* The Tremors - Psychedelia
All mixes have the same foundational sounds (sfx, voices, etc.) but each has their own unique intro/gameplay songs + tail-sliders.
These are v1 editions and I plan on continuing to tweak, adjust volumes, and add more sfx/voices to all as I go. And of course new song editions.
These assets are mostly pulled from late 80's skate videos. My focus is on that era, but some music will dip into 70's punk and possibly early 90’s. But that's about as far as I want to deviate from the late 80's theme. Mostly punk/rock, but will eventually cover some jam band and hip-hop.
These are now added to the Pinsound website and can be downloaded here: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/11-radical/

#1092 8 months ago

davebart5 that is sick, need me a Radical

#1094 8 months ago
Quoted from Clytor:

ebay.com link: itm Keep dreaming.

Omg, lol . How stupid

There’s a skateboard shop that will print that graphic, there’s a vector of the image here on pinside and Klov with a link and instructions.

It’s maybe $100

If it was a real 80’s deck, there would be no pink staining and no shrink wrap

#1095 8 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Omg, lol . How stupid
There’s a skateboard shop that will print that graphic, there’s a vector of the image here on pinside and Klov with a link and instructions.
It’s maybe $100
If it was a real 80’s deck, there would be no pink staining and no shrink wrap

It doesn't claim to be 80s (or 90s as it would be for Radical!). The listing says:

Custom Skateboard Deck commissioned by John Jacobsen from John's Arcade in 2017 inspired by the board shown being ridden in Bally's 1990 Radical! pinball Machine promo flyer.

I think that makes it even more ridiculous though?

#1097 8 months ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

It doesn't claim to be 80s (or 90s as it would be for Radical!). The listing says:

I think that makes it even more ridiculous though?

Yeah it's just something that someone made fairly recent that has no relation to the game (or the production of it) other than it used the artwork from the game. $200 would be too much for it.

1 week later
#1098 8 months ago

I had a couple made back then from the file John created and made a topper out of one of them. I still need to light it up.

IMG_2535 (resized).jpegIMG_2535 (resized).jpeg
#1099 8 months ago

Activity looking for a nice radical. If you’re thinking of selling let me know!

Thanks!

1 month later
#1100 6 months ago

I am going to be posting all the ramps for sale soon. I got them with my Radical and I don’t need them. The ones from Freeplay40.

$500 for all…
4D30158C-D3C3-4FA7-BDB9-51266C011F19 (resized).png4D30158C-D3C3-4FA7-BDB9-51266C011F19 (resized).png

68207DBF-8E96-4033-B4E1-09C7B5E2D9D3 (resized).jpeg68207DBF-8E96-4033-B4E1-09C7B5E2D9D3 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-club-only-skaters-welcome/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.