Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by patrickvc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I got my Radical today, I turned the game on and played maybe 10 games on it. All was working well. Then I noticed the drop targets weren’t registering. I thought hey I’ll go through diagnostics. Started with coil test. Everything was fine until I hit coil 15 in which multiple coils locked, I shut the game off quickly but the damage was done. Q14 was burned up. Now that transistor feeds a coil that didn’t make it into production. It’s the upper sling. Now someone before me took the two larger red wires and the small brown with purple tracer and tied them together with a bullet connector. My guess is someone before me hadn’t done a coil test because it would have blown on them. I separated the wires and fixed the transistor q14 and q10. I’m still blowing the f4 fuse. No slings, no target reset. Could I have damaged something further down the line? Also snake letters and 1 2 3 inserts are glowing brighter than other lights making it hard to see whether they are solid or blinking. They are part of the same column in the matrix. Any help I’d appreciate it. I just want to play some Radical.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

fixed the transistor q14 and q10.

did you test the pre drive transistors?its possible you blow out the main transistors out agian q14 and q10
check/test
1.the coil/diode on coil if there are any
2.the main transistor-big one
3.the pre drive transistor-small one
they all would be in the manual.the locations of transistors and pre drive transistors

#3 5 years ago

I seperated the unused coil wires that were connected to each other. There was no coil there. I replaced both transistors. The big one and small one. I have not gone back into coil test so I should have been back to square 1. I’ve started a game and the transistor has not blown. On this game q14 is not used, but the wires for the coil wrapped up under the playfield can be activated in coil test. That’s when it blew. Gameplay there’s no way to activate the coil, that’s why it never blew

#4 5 years ago

Ok an update, I have replaced both transistors associated with the coil wires that were stupidly tied together when I got this game. Ok now I have 2 coils that will still lock on. The kickback coil and the right ramp diverter. I installed a new trifurcon connector on 1j12. I started installing the coil wires one at a time. My gi illumination relay does not click in test, 1 flasher is dead and the kickback and diverter coils lock on. I have the kickback and diverter small coil wire pulled from the board but when I turn on the game and touch the wire to the connector each coil locks on. I removed the kickback coil from the circuit and tried the diverter coil and it still locks and vise versa. The coil on the diverter is new and I checked all the transistors. They appear fine. I went so far as to swap the aux power supply board with another to narrow down the problem. I’ve also changed chip u17 but I still have the problem. I’m looking next at chip u54 as to what may have been damaged next. Any suggestions. I will be picking up a logic probe today to help diagnose this.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

Further update, I replaced U17 with the correct chip and now the two coils no longer lock on and work normally. That’s good, but two flashers and the gi relay is still not working. I tracked down the gi relay and 1 flasher to u18 so I’m trying that next, 1 flasher is still associated with u17 so that one I’m still not sure about

#6 5 years ago

Worth checking the soldering on the relay board is still good. I've only seen 6 of those boards, but all 6 had issues with the soldering being cracked, on both the relay pins and the headers.

#7 5 years ago

These were working before I had the dead short. I doubt it’s solder joints but I will look. I did replace u18 and still no luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-blows-fuse-f4-immediately?hl=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.