Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

RAD_B4.JPG
RAD_After.JPG
image-842.jpg
image.jpg
image-612.jpg
image-177.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tdddddd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 4 years ago

I installed the prototype mods. I did the 3rd kicker first and found that the Snake Run switch would not register using the proto ROMS. Once I completed the ball popper part it worked fine. The ball popper switch has a different action than the spot target switch in that it is held closed and not momentary. Perhaps that makes a difference in the proto ROMS.

The Radical! manual includes references to the 3rd kicker and the ball popper. See pg2-33 #17 and 31.

#8 4 years ago

I don't know about unfinished code. I've played hundreds of games since the conversion (in 2008). Once Williams scaled back on the BOM I assume all the code updates went into the production ROMS. But the game is playable and a little more interesting than the production version, which I had already played for a couple of years.
IPDB has both the proto ROMS and pics, including the ball popper.
Your game is a good candidate for conversion if it has the removable panel on the Tail Slider ramp. Also check the harness for the wiring for the extra solenoids and kicker switches.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I found this may be the part?
Plus needing the wire form, and the subway...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15769
I really want to do this mod, but I feel like I need to know everything before taking the plunge

It's an up-kicker. The manual refers to it as a ball popper.

However the linked part won't work. You need the System 11 era version, which is not opto based. I have an extra, if you need it. Upload a pic like the one you posted, showing your game.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Can you guys share some more information about the ball popper and how it works with the software? I mean how it's integrated. I don't have a radical but my buddy has one. We would like to try it out - but with any prototype software we want to be sure it's worth it.

Production: Snake Run has spot target blocking the gobble hole. When the ball hits that target, it bounces back into play while the Snake Run award is being selected/awarded in the backbox.

Prototype: The spot target switch is replaced by a "fork" switch on an under playfield ball popper. A shot into the Snake Run drops into the gobble hole and follows an under playfield ramp to the ball popper fork switch and sits there, activating the award sequence as above, but the ball is out of play. Once the Snake Run award is determined/awarded (on the boxbox), then the ball is popped back into play through a wireform to the X-ramp. Sometimes it remains on the ramp, making its way to the whirlpool. Usually it falls into the jet bumpers. The ball popper can also act as a ball lock when the Snake Run award is "Skate or Die". What happens then depends on whether you already have a ball locked in the main lockup.
The prototype also adds the 3rd sling kicker which sees a lot more action than the ball popper.
I also moved the flasher from under the Snake Run gobble hole to behind the backboard, where there is a hole routed behind the "explosion" plastic. I don't know if that was the design, but the harness reached and it lights the plastic from behind with a nice effect as it flashes.
Some examples are easier to convert than others. See clues in my earlier post.
[Special thanks to (NJ) Skeets for assistance with the conversion]

#21 4 years ago

Ball Popper addition - Before and After pics.
RAD_B4.JPGRAD_After.JPG
The flasher (lower left) was moved again after this pic to behind the backboard.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tdddddd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside