(Topic ID: 308295)

Warning: Mirco RadCals color mismatch

By CoolCatPinball

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

43DEDE22-4E2C-406B-9154-DC62D498ABEC (resized).jpeg
    F53E75FB-5B9C-48FC-8DD7-23CA87FB83D9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7159 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220219_181202.jpg
    IMG_8918 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.47.52 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.06 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.17 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.44.51 PM (resized).png
    B56596CA-0CB4-4378-AED4-72CD7805FD93 (resized).jpeg
    20210924_130622 (resized).jpg
    20210924_130558 (resized).jpg
    20220117_192115 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Check out this Mirco AfM where the playfield comes off in chunks with compressed air. Chris at High End Pins had a video where it was peeling off a Mirco Afm in huge chunks.

Interesting video. How come I cannot find it on youtube with an independent search?

If I place my cursor over the "M" in the blue circle it tells me that this video was put up by Mister Pinside.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.44.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.44.51 PM (resized).png

When I click in the "M" in the blue circle it tells me Mister Pinside has 86 subscribers and has only 4 videos posted on YT. And "Attack from Mars Clear Fail" is not a video in Mister Pinside's list of videos. Mister Pinside has a vid to do with Covid, 2 vids about Hot Wheels pinball, and a vid about goats.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.17 PM (resized).png

"Attack from Mars Clear Fail" is not in Mister Pinside's list of 4 videos.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.06 PM (resized).png

If I type " Attack from Mars Clear Fail" in the YT search bar I get this.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.47.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.47.52 PM (resized).png

Nothing I do allows me to locate the " Attack from Mars Clear Fail" on youtube.

So, if I want to find this video independently, what search term do I need to be using?

Thanks.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's an unlisted video just for pinside linking. I grabbed it from the original post to preserve it. The Mr Pinside account is my miscellaneous video account for pinside. Unfortunately, Chris was taking down his High End Pins shop progress videos every few weeks and I missed grabbing his AfM clearcoat peeling and rant video, which is unfortunate - it was even worse than the one with the air compressor I did save.

Thank you. That was not a pooling or chipping problem. That was an adhesion problem.

Can you remember what HEP was saying might have been the cause? I mean something other than substandard preparation ? Did a new hire on the line miss wiping down the play field with a tack cloth or something? I have seen paint peel up like that before and it was never the fault of the paint. It was always lousy prep work. New hire on the paint line is my thought.

I remember when I was a new hire painting parts for Boeing Aircraft, and painting mostly 2-part paints. I had to lay down some white paint over some green primer. The parts dried and were sent out of the shop. The next day they came back. I had mixed the base paint with reducer but forgot to mix in the catalyst. Big no-no.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

You do know Jack from JJP is part owner in the company now? Makes sense with the poor customer service

I sent Mirco a play field 14 months ago for reproduction. It was supposed a be a 4 month turn around. About 6 months ago I started emailing him at the beginning of every month for status.

I won't even pretend to know what his problems are but I do think he is probably dealing with his share of Covid problems that have been ravishing the globe for the last 2 years.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He called out bad work on a number of points. I don't remember the details (and was just a little late to grab the video, so I missed it. I didn't know he deleted his shop progress videos after a few weeks), but he WENT OFF on the workmanship or lack thereof. I dubbed that video HEP UNCHAINED. More blunt than I'd ever seen him talking about another's work.

I did catch HEP's disgusted look in one frame as the clear was peeling away.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I do believe it was called the "ceramic clearcoat" option.

I thought Mirco was still using ceramic clear. But that is just a guess.

Doing a google search for ceramic clear just turns into one big sales pitch from the car guys (the car guys who are selling the shit. Not, you the driver.) going all ga-ga over ceramic clear. If you expect to find anything scientific about ceramic clear, or even polyurethane paints, a google search will not get you there ( Google is the ultimate sales machine ).

The best link I can find that talks about peeling clear coat is this page from AvalonKing. But keep in mind Avalon King is in the business of selling ceramic clear.

https://avalonking.com/blog/causes-and-fixing-peeling-clear-coat/

https://avalonking.com

Here is one thing I can tell you about Mirco's clear coat.

This is a picture of the repro Quicksilver play field I bought from Mirco. Notice the scratches in the inserts. The classic Sterns used clear, transparent style inserts for most of its play field inserts. with these types of inserts you can see the light bulb sitting underneath.

IMG_8918 (resized).JPGIMG_8918 (resized).JPG

This is a picture from the 2nd Quicksilver play field I got for Mirco. The first play field I got from Mirco had the the clear, transparent inserts. Do to legitimate circumstances I will not bore you with, Mirco's first run of Quicksilver play fields did not have black keylines applied around 2 rollover inserts.

I hit Mirco up about this missing keylines. At at the time, I was preparing to send Mirco a play field to reproduce. He told me to add my QS play field in the box along with the other play field and that he would correct my play field by adding the keylines and return it to me. I did not have any reason to disbelieve him. So I shipped the play field back to him. The play field I sent back had the clear, transparent inserts. The 2nd play field I received had the inserts with all of these scratches in them. I hit him up about these inserts with the scratches.

Mirco's reply: (I am paraphrasing here). To address the chipping problems he was having with JJP's pinball machine play fields , he switched to a coarser grit sanding media for sanding the play field before applying the colors and clear coat. And he said in the future, all of his play fields would be sanded with the coarser sanding media. I don't know if he remained true to that statement, but the 2nd classic Stern play filed I bought from him
    ( Nine Ball ) has the same sanded inserts.

I'll learn to live with the sanded inserts since I have no other options. For appearance purposes, the clear on these two play fields I have bought from Mirco is fantastic. Are they going to hold up once I get the pins together and start playing them? I don't know, but I do not get any bad feelings about the clear as I work to assemble the Quicksilver play field.

I have a friend with a Ruby Red WOZ. It gets lots of play action. And the play field still looks brand new. No chipping. No pooling.

Beats me why Mirco started having all of these problems.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

(too thick clear that chipped very easily

You have brought up something I have thought about for long time. We demand baby butt smooth clear coated play fields. And we can ogle and awe about how they sparkle like a diamond. But that takes several coats of clear buildup. But the thing is that once the play field glass is on and the lights are one, you really don't see baby butt smooth while you are playing.

Too thick of paint is going to chip. It just is. The Seawitch play field I got from Greatwich was clear coated by a different contractor that Greatwich found. The contractor used a brand of clear called Omni. I have used Omni. I like it. Anyway, all this Seawitch has is a couple of coats of Omni. It looks nice. However, I can run my hands across the play field and feel the inserts. And, IMO, that is OK. Being able to feel in inserts is not going to affect how the ball tools across the play field. And as soon as the glass is on and the lights are on it will be a fine playing play field and no one will ever notice that is was not baby butt smooth.

I can't say for sure, but I think the auto makers apply 2 coats of clear to their cars and call it a day.

That said, this Mirco Quicksilver play field I am assembling shines like a diamond and is baby butt smooth. But it does not look like Mirco went overboard with the clear. It does not look like a too heavy of application of clear.

2 months later
    #63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

How people continue to purchase from him is beyond me.

Perhaps for some items Mirco is the only game in town?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radcals-color-mismatch?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.