(Topic ID: 308295)

Warning: Mirco RadCals color mismatch

By CoolCatPinball

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

43DEDE22-4E2C-406B-9154-DC62D498ABEC (resized).jpeg
    F53E75FB-5B9C-48FC-8DD7-23CA87FB83D9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7159 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220219_181202.jpg
    IMG_8918 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.47.52 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.06 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.45.17 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.44.51 PM (resized).png
    B56596CA-0CB4-4378-AED4-72CD7805FD93 (resized).jpeg
    20210924_130622 (resized).jpg
    20210924_130558 (resized).jpg
    20220117_192115 (resized).jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Of course, if you ask him, none of this is his fault.

It's Bally/Williams fault, they gave the clearcoat recipe to him

1 month later
    #52 2 years ago
    Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Let me know how yours look. 4 of my pieces look great. The 5th piece, not so much. Personally I think the good side looks pretty damn great. I like the glossy appearance, and I'll say it 1 more time, it's a pretty cool product if you like the look. It's just too bad the colors were off.

I know that this is an old thread now but other things came up in life, my friends got Covid-19 so I couldn't go to their place to look at them and frankly I shouldn't have to worry about this. I found out my Radcals were perfectly fine. I do wonder about Mirco Steffen and his German heritage sometimes. Germans are known for their engineering and quality and Mirco is anything but. Did you get your money back?
    IMG_20220219_181202.jpgIMG_20220219_181202.jpg

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The white water radcals are horrible looking

they sure are....

IMG_7159 (resized).jpgIMG_7159 (resized).jpg
    #54 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Ive seen several titles and they all look bad, too glossy and somehow just look "fake"

I would never buy a game with radcals.

2 weeks later
    #55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damen:

I would never buy a game with radcals.

Radcals are for hobby renovators not able to prepare a cabinett and bring decals perfect on.
    They are "quick and dirty and expensive " renovation. I would buy a pinball with radcals but just to remove them and dont pay 1 cent more for this "modding".
    Buy "Next Gen" or silkscreened decals and the pin will look perfect. If you want it shiny , clearcoat it.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I thought Mirco was still using ceramic clear. But that is just a guess.
    Doing a google search for ceramic clear just turns into one big sales pitch from the car guys (the car guys who are selling the shit. Not, you the driver.) going all ga-ga over ceramic clear. If you expect to find anything scientific about ceramic clear, or even polyurethane paints, a google search will not get you there ( Google is the ultimate sales machine ).
    The best link I can find that talks about peeling clear coat is this page from AvalonKing. But keep in mind Avalon King is in the business of selling ceramic clear.
    https://avalonking.com/blog/causes-and-fixing-peeling-clear-coat/
    https://avalonking.com

Mirco's "ceramic clear" and avalon king and other ceramic coating companies are 2 entirely different products. Micro's thing is an actual clear coat, ceramic coatings are just protective coatings for normal clear coat, essentially they are a very strong/durable wax.

#57 2 years ago

Mirco at Texas Pinball Festival should be, well, interesting. I hope many questions are asked and hopefully clear up the issues at hand.....

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Mirco's "ceramic clear" and avalon king and other ceramic coating companies are 2 entirely different products. Micro's thing is an actual clear coat, ceramic coatings are just protective coatings for normal clear coat, essentially they are a very strong/durable wax.

Merces Benz started in 2010 with "Ceramic coating" on basic of nano technology.
    It shoud be more scratch resistent.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=mercedes+benz+ceramic+clearcoat

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Merces Benz started in 2010 with "Ceramic coating" on basic of nano technology.
    It shoud be more scratch resistent.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=mercedes+benz+ceramic+clearcoat

Not the same thing as the avalon king or other ceramic coating products. I do see some talk of MB using a "ceramiclear" made by PPG for a short time. Honestly does not seem like a great product to me, but thats kind of beside my point. "ceramiclear" and "ceramic coatings" are two totally different products despite having some similarities in chemical makeup.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I know that this is an old thread now but other things came up in life, my friends got Covid-19 so I couldn't go to their place to look at them and frankly I shouldn't have to worry about this. I found out my Radcals were perfectly fine. I do wonder about Mirco Steffen and his German heritage sometimes. Germans are known for their engineering and quality and Mirco is anything but. Did you get your money back?
    [quoted image]

I did end up getting a refund from my credit card company. For what it's worth, I've applied RadCals, and I've sanded down to bare wood and done high quality normal decals. I like the look of each style just fine when applied correctly. It's just unfortunate that the quality control on the RadCals seems to be hit or miss.

#61 2 years ago

Mirco, the BIGGEST shonk in pinball. How people continue to purchase from him is beyond me.

2 weeks later
    #62 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Mirco at Texas Pinball Festival should be, well, interesting. I hope many questions are asked and hopefully clear up the issues at hand.....

You were right about that.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

How people continue to purchase from him is beyond me.

Perhaps for some items Mirco is the only game in town?

#64 2 years ago

All ... I'm seeing this thread for the first time ... a couple of things:

We have art files for many cabinet art, etc, most are the ones that we developed and printed Next Gen, but others that we acquired from others that we work with etc.

We ALWAYS tell anyone who is working with our files to a) Color Match them, b) Check them ... I'm not sure why this is not obvious ... for those who are in the printing business every file prints differently on every printer (even if profiled, and even if the same model), so this is an 'overhead' of taking existing artfiles and making product on your printer.

We have NEVER printed BSD, I think we have files, but never proofed them. Additionally awhile back we had a Taxi issue where the Reds were different and then we notified Mirco as it was obvious that the colors were not matching and it's an easy correction to the files.

So, we DO let people know when we see something, as we sell to the public and certainly want the best product out there.

We will discuss with Mirco ...

Team PPS

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

All ... I'm seeing this thread for the first time ... a couple of things:
    We have art files for many cabinet art, etc, most are the ones that we developed and printed Next Gen, but others that we acquired from others that we work with etc.
    We ALWAYS tell anyone who is working with our files to a) Color Match them, b) Check them ... I'm not sure why this is not obvious ... for those who are in the printing business every file prints differently on every printer (even if profiled, and even if the same model), so this is an 'overhead' of taking existing artfiles and making product on your printer.
    We have NEVER printed BSD, I think we have files, but never proofed them. Additionally awhile back we had a Taxi issue where the Reds were different and then we notified Mirco as it was obvious that the colors were not matching and it's an easy correction to the files.
    So, we DO let people know when we see something, as we sell to the public and certainly want the best product out there.
    We will discuss with Mirco ...
    Team PPS

Based on TPF video mirco ain’t Talk’in!

1 week later
    #66 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Radcals are for hobby renovators not able to prepare a cabinett and bring decals perfect on.
    They are "quick and dirty and expensive " renovation. I would buy a pinball with radcals but just to remove them and dont pay 1 cent more for this "modding".
    Buy "Next Gen" or silkscreened decals and the pin will look perfect. If you want it shiny , clearcoat it.

Not sure how much more shine you need. The one picture of my Wh20 with new decals you can see the reflection of my CV beside it

43DEDE22-4E2C-406B-9154-DC62D498ABEC (resized).jpeg43DEDE22-4E2C-406B-9154-DC62D498ABEC (resized).jpegF53E75FB-5B9C-48FC-8DD7-23CA87FB83D9 (resized).jpegF53E75FB-5B9C-48FC-8DD7-23CA87FB83D9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radcals-color-mismatch/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.