20230623_230023 (resized).jpg
IMG_2335 (resized).png
20230609_141128 (resized).jpg
IMG_4943 copy (resized).jpg
Rack a Ball (resized).jpeg
20230521_194822 (resized).jpg
IMG_4727 (resized).jpeg
#1 11 months ago

I'm getting close to having this charming old game working 100%. Today I dug into the backbox to see if I could get the rack animation working. What I eventually found was that the solenoid that kicks the balls up into the rack had launched its plunger completely out of the mechanism. I reassembled it and started a game, and lo and behold, at the first rollover I made, the game kicked a ball up into the rack in the backbox Then, the second one did too. However, after that it stopped working, and when I opened it back up, here's what I found:IMG_4727 (resized).jpegIMG_4727 (resized).jpeg
Does anyone know what is missing from the mechanism so the plunger doesn't get launched out of the solenoid?

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Does anyone know what is missing from the mechanism so the plunger doesn't get launched out of the solenoid?

Any chance it's a simple "E" clip to stop it from going up through the plunger ?

LTG : )

#3 11 months ago

Plunger with an end on it. Maybe a spring too, like on a slingshot plunger.

20230521_194822 (resized).jpg20230521_194822 (resized).jpg

And there should probably be a rubber bumper of some sort in that hole at the bottom of the bracket.

#4 11 months ago

I'll take a picture of mine. I recently replaced the balls with these 1 1/2" from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WK32LP3 that were less than $20.

Rack a Ball (resized).jpegRack a Ball (resized).jpeg
#5 11 months ago

Looks like there is an end on the plunger. Sorry photo is a bit dark.

IMG_4943 copy (resized).jpgIMG_4943 copy (resized).jpg
#6 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any chance it's a simple "E" clip to stop it from going up through the plunger ?
LTG : )

Quoted from balzofsteel:

Plunger with an end on it. Maybe a spring too, like on a slingshot plunger.
[quoted image]
And there should probably be a rubber bumper of some sort in that hole at the bottom of the bracket.

Quoted from PrinzFred:

Looks like there is an end on the plunger. Sorry photo is a bit dark.
[quoted image]

Cheers to all of you with your helpful and 100% correct responses! And now I know what the loose spring and the weird bracket I found lodged elsewhere in the backbox came from lol! I've got the name and part number on my list for the next pbr order!

PrinzFred Thanks for the pics, especially the outside of your backbox! Wow, your game looks fantastic! I wonder if I got the idea of wanting the backbox balls in mine to look like actual billiard balls from happening across a pic of yours when I got the game more than a year ago, or if the idea just occurred to me on its own. And your backglass looks perfect Is it a reproduction? From Coos maybe?

#7 11 months ago

No a friend restored it, but it has some bumps and bruises. Fun game

2 weeks later
#8 10 months ago

Just in case anyone is thinking about putting pool balls in the rack - they are 1-1/4" balls (a.k.a. 32mm).

20230609_141128 (resized).jpg20230609_141128 (resized).jpg
#9 10 months ago

Question: when the balls drop on reset, do they stay in the same order or will they be randomized? Just wondering if they will become out of sequence with the ones shown on the backglass.

#10 10 months ago

The balls will be in order when they drop, then they get served up starting with #12. If you like how they look posed, take a picture because the odds of them ever lining up again make the lottery look like a sure thing.

The odds are even higher for my game because I took out 13 red balls and put in 1 - 12 and the cue ball.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Question: when the balls drop on reset, do they stay in the same order or will they be randomized? Just wondering if they will become out of sequence with the ones shown on the backglass.

They will definitely get randomized. I tried putting alternating red and white balls in "Bowling Queen" but they didn't stay that way.

#12 10 months ago

Thanks guys, I have a Rack-A-Ball game that is awaiting restoration and it does not have any of the balls, so was wondering what to get for replacements. It might bother me having the numbered balls out of sync, so I might try and find some red ones.

#13 10 months ago

And your backglass looks perfect Is it a reproduction? From Coos maybe?

Ron has these in stock right now if you are interested. Mine has minimal flaking so not worth ordering.

IMG_2335 (resized).pngIMG_2335 (resized).png
#14 10 months ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

I'll take a picture of mine. I recently replaced the balls with these 1 1/2" from Amazon. amazon.com link » that were less than $20.[quoted image]

Thanks for this idea I just ordered a set for mine.

That way I can pull the factory balls and use them in other games I have that need upgrading/ missing.

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

Ron has these in stock right now if you are interested. Mine has minimal flaking so not worth ordering.
[quoted image]

That’s good to know, thanks! My original plan was to order films from Coos, a Quicksilver and a Rack-a-Ball, at the same time to save on shipping. (wish they made one for Stars too).

#16 10 months ago

. (wish they made one for Stars too).

I got one from CPR and doesn’t have any issues yet. My space mission bubbled after 2 years inside the house.

#17 10 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

I got one from CPR and doesn’t have any issues yet. My space mission bubbled after 2 years inside the house.

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about the cpr Stars, but I’ve also heard great things about the films from Coos, and they come out way cheaper with the difference in shipping. And if I could get all three of the backglass films I want shipped in the same tube it would be even cheaper still!

2 weeks later
#18 10 months ago

The pool balls are fun and colorful. That they don't stay orderly is not a big issue here. If I want to see pool balls in order there's always Bank-A-Ball.

20230623_230023 (resized).jpg20230623_230023 (resized).jpg
#19 10 months ago

I’m envious of all your back glasses, I’m pretty sure mine wins worst of the thread

F8923C68-E6B4-484E-BF9A-F79F5014523A (resized).jpegF8923C68-E6B4-484E-BF9A-F79F5014523A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rack-a-ball-backbox-animation-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.