r2d2dfail (resized).jpg
just r2 (resized).png
R2suckToo (resized).jpg
593186B4-FF4F-40F6-BA0B-2F89EECDFF16 (resized).jpeg
48390881_10156558518765831_8095453250569895936_n (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
E97F4227-7415-4E18-859E-E9AE72509CDB (resized).png
r2 (resized).jpeg

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Saw it for sale at Game room guys and there is a short clip on youtube. So it is out!
Reason i started this is because there is no good video of it and what it can really do.
so, someone please elaborate / post vid / pics. Does it live to the hype build up? Is it worth the 500?
thx

r2 (resized).jpegr2 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

It's cool, but not $500 cool. Just my opinion but those with deep pockets will buy it without question and praise it to no end.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

...Just my opinion but those with deep pockets....

Man if only we could find a place like that!

#4 5 years ago

Sweet!!! Finally.

#5 5 years ago

It's been on a few websites for pre order for months now. Video is from expo tour. When you see it in stock at Marco or PBL, then you know it's actually out.

R2-D2 moves, lights, is interactive with the game and makes sounds. Automatic buy for me as long as I haven't died waiting first.

#6 5 years ago

January 24 - February 6 delivery? Didn’t seem in stock to me

E97F4227-7415-4E18-859E-E9AE72509CDB (resized).pngE97F4227-7415-4E18-859E-E9AE72509CDB (resized).png
#7 5 years ago

Took 2 yrs for that?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from orb:

Is it worth the 500?

No.

#9 5 years ago

Is it worth the money? Hard to say, but it does look pretty cool!

#10 5 years ago

The base looks a little better in these pictures doesn’t it?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The base looks a little better in these pictures doesn’t it?

Its exactly the same as it was from the first Stern tour photo. Nothing new.

#12 5 years ago

I haven't seen the video before....cool...but not 5 hundy cool.

#13 5 years ago

What constitutes $500 worth of cool? Most guys who are gonna buy this love SW's love their pin and don't mind adding a $500 toy to their $5000 to $7500 toy that might be with them till they croke so who cares?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Once again more stupid fucking "not $500 cool" horseshit comments. What constitutes $500 worth of cool? Most guys who are gonna buy this love SW's love their pin and don't mind adding a $500 toy to their $5000 to $7500 toy that might be with them till they croke so who cares?

It probably physically does more and is more integrated into the actual gamethan the JJP ship in a bottle but nobody will admit that.

I’m not saying the Ship in the Bottle isn’t cool but this should be right up there with it considering game integration. There are a ton of R2 moments in the Sw game.

#15 5 years ago

This is a cool topper. No topper is “worth it” if you break out the calculator.

Buying it!!!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Once again more stupid fucking "not $500 cool" horseshit comments. What constitutes $500 worth of cool? Most guys who are gonna buy this love SW's love their pin and don't mind adding a $500 toy to their $5000 to $7500 toy that might be with them till they croke so who cares?

You are mighty defensive about someone else's opinion. The OP asked if it was worth $500 so that's who cares and why I replied. I guess your opinion is that it's worth $500, who cares?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Definitely not worth 500 IMO.

#18 5 years ago

$500 and the there's an exposed screw head right on the front of R2D2, that looks terrible and tacky for what is supposed to be a high end item. For $500 the screw on R2 should have been recessed and a cap colored to match the paint put over it. Same goes for the front screws.

Also the base could have at least been colored with a weathered look to resemble Lukes X-Wing that R2 sits in. Maybe it's the lighting in the pic but the arms look like a very cheap white plastic that doesn't match the body.

Sorry for all the complaints lol. Still looking forward to seeing it in a new video before deciding on whether or not to buy it.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You are mighty defensive about someone elses's opinion. The OP asked if it was worth $500 so that's who cares and why I replied. I guess your opinion is that it's worth $500, who cares?

Not defensive just tired of the same bullshit over and over, the OP's question is a stupid as the answers. "Is it worth $500" my opinion doesn't matter and I would leave money out of it, I don't like toppers period but all I'd say is either "looks great I want one" or "what a piece of crap not interested" people who bring money into it with this hobby piss me off. We are all buying overly expensive toys and I love it.

#20 5 years ago

I'd like to see the inside of the dome light up like the Data East version.....and have it jump around like that one too while we're at it......

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

$500 and the there's an exposed screw head right on the front of R2D2, that looks terrible and tacky for what is supposed to be a high end item. For $500 the screw on R2 should have been recessed and a cap colored to match the paint put over it. Same goes for the front screws.
Also the base could have at least been colored with a weathered look to resemble Lukes X-Wing that R2 sits in.
[quoted image]

Not to mention, there is yellow highlighter all over the screws to make them more visible.

#22 5 years ago

The other photos / video didn't really show the top of R2D2's "legs" - I think it looks better than a few months ago.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Not defensive just tired of the same bullshit over and over, the OP's question is a stupid as the answers. "Is it worth $500" my opinion doesn't matter and I would leave money out of it, I don't like toppers period but all I'd say is either "looks great I want one" or "what a piece of crap not interested" dickheads who bring money into with this hobby piss me off. We are all buying overly expensive toys and I love it.

your anger management classes ain't working!

#24 5 years ago

$100, sure. $200, maybe--just because it's interactive. $500, definitely not. It was quite disappointing when I first saw it. I though it was fairly plain.

For $500 to be worthwhile, I want to hear some ooo's and ahh's and people instantly clicking buy buttons.

With this one, a lot of people are questioning its value. This isn't the first time I've seen the question arise.

Wasn't the Kiss topper $300 when it came out?

#25 5 years ago

It would be cool if he projects something on the wall behind the pin at times in the game like he does with Leah in the movie

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

... my opinion doesn't matter....

Then just shut the hell up and you'll blood pressure will thank you.

#27 5 years ago

Seems like for 500 bucks you could
Do a diy topper that would look better
Or buy a solid EM for that price.

#28 5 years ago

I really want to see an official release with details first, but this looks really basic at that price. I have a fully interacting r2 for $100-150 that looks like the same size, and projects holograms on walls. Not seeing where 2 years development went on this one, but again wouldn't decide until we officially see it.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Then just shut the hell up and you'll blood pressure will thank you.

My blood pressure is just fine sir. I'll never shut up, especially the hell up. I enjoy this, if it wasn't for some of you guys making me react then whats the point?

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

your anger management classes ain't working!

I don't need classes in how to manage my anger I am an expert, just stating some simple truth and making observations. I thank you for ur concern.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

We are all buying overly expensive toys and I love it.

Haz dude ssssssst i told my wife this
hobby isnt expensive!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

$100, sure. $200, maybe--just because it's interactive. $500, definitely not. It was quite disappointing when I first saw it. I though it was fairly plain.
For $500 to be worthwhile, I want to hear some ooo's and ahh's and people instantly clicking buy buttons.
With this one, a lot of people are questioning its value. This isn't the first time I've seen the question arise.
Wasn't the Kiss topper $300 when it came out?

No. Kiss topper is $400. GOT and GB toppers are $500 also. These will typically include a node board that ties the topper into the complete package with specific code for the tooper. I have not seen a game interactive topper go for $200. Maybe an aftermarket one that is tied to a flasher or something. I agree these are a lot. But so are these machines as a whole.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

hobby isnt expensive!

That was a typo, I meant inexpensive and a good to way to show ur better half that u love her.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

January 24 - February 6 delivery? Didn’t seem in stock to me
[quoted image]

That topper base is SCREAMING for detailing. It should have battle scoring and X-wing trim coloring as well as access warnings, etc.

#34 5 years ago
48390881_10156558518765831_8095453250569895936_n (resized).jpg48390881_10156558518765831_8095453250569895936_n (resized).jpg
#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That was a typo, I meant inexpensive and a good to way to show ur better half that u love her.

#36 5 years ago

That Iron Maiden topper right next to it in the Video is utter 80s ToysRUs plastic junk

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That topper base is SCREAMING for detailing. It should have battle scoring and X-wing trim coloring as well as access warnings, etc.

Get to work PinMonk! Maybe this is a job for modfather or Yelobird ?

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

it does look pretty cool!

I agree. Looks neat in the video.

Whether it's worth it or not is up to the game owner. If I had a Stern Star Wars here I'd be killing myself to get that topper for it.

LTG : )

#39 5 years ago

If stern wants to play in the mod world they are going to have to do a lot more for less. $500 is insane for some plastic and blinking lights that's 2 years late. I love my stern SW but this is an easy pass.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I really want to see an official release with details first, but this looks really basic at that price. I have a fully interacting r2 for $100-150 that looks like the same size, and projects holograms on walls. Not seeing where 2 years development went on this one, but again wouldn't decide until we officially see it.

this is basically what im getting at. i was really hoping for the hologram people were forecasting. i am extremely disappointed in what im hearing.
can you send me a link to this topper you found? sounds great!!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from orb:

this is basically what im getting at. i was really hoping for the hologram people were forecasting. i am extremely disappointed in what im hearing.
can you send me a link to this topper you found? sounds great!!

Soooooo in other words, this isn't the topper you're looking for? Sorry couldn't help myself.

#43 5 years ago

For $500, R2D2 better translate to me any language on demand, make me a whiskey sour, and deliver it to me via his lil armature hand, and make ice for the drink.

Sheesh, $500 for his top and all it does is rotate right to left. Please tell me he does more than that.

#44 5 years ago

Stern needs to hire whoever designs the toppers for CGC to do their toppers also. The only really cool toppers they have made are TWD and the GOT toppers imo.

#45 5 years ago

The shape of R2's head is messed up. WTF?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern needs to hire whoever designs the toppers for CGC to do their toppers also. The only really cool toppers they have made are TWD and the GOT toppers imo.

The Kiss topper is cool, the AS one looks nice also. All are hundreds over priced though.

You can buy an EM or a stern topper.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Soooooo in other words, this isn't the topper you're looking for? Sorry couldn't help myself.

nicely on point lol. but freals. lets see that thing. ive been dreaming for a year about princess leia hologram clip. it was mindblowing seeing that when i was a kid. thought it was certain it was going to happen and was a reason it was taking so long to develop.
to me that was the opening message to the star wars legacy a beautiful woman saying you need to save the day. lol

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Get to work PinMonk! Maybe this is a job for modfather or yelobird ?

I'm buried in lighting bracket projects at the moment (Deadpool should be up today), so it might be a while, and even then, I'm not sure how many of these bare-bones, somewhat ugly, unfinished toppers they'll be selling.

#49 5 years ago

Day one!

#50 5 years ago

I love toppers, and was so in on SW...but it has taken so long to come out. My Met got a color DMD ($400), i put deposit down on ACNC (I know, another long wait, but at least it looks well worth it to me), and I’m having a No Good Gofers refurbed. You could buy invisiglass and pinstadium lighting for this price. I just lost interest. I hope it is cooler and does more than it looks...but I’ve spent my money elsewhere.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/r2d2-topper-is-out?hl=jefryan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.