(Topic ID: 101801)

R flipper only starts working with double flip

By aobrien5

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I just had to replace my flipper coil and when I started up a new game all was fine. Half way through the new coil stopped working. I found the connector halfway off the board and reseated it. That fixed it at first. Now, the new coil will only start working after flipping both flippers at the same time. They will both engage when you do that, and then the new one will continue working, for a while. It seems to stop again after a while, and double flipping will immediately get it working again. WTF?

#2 9 years ago

Check the EOS and flipper cabinet switches very closely. Usually they both need serious filing and burnishing...or replacement. Possibly the other flipper is causing enough vibration for the switch to conduct.

It could also be a problem with the flipper enable relay...maybe cracked solder joints underneath it or a connector.

#3 9 years ago

Also check the solder connections on the coil lugs.

#4 9 years ago

FWIW, I did also replace the buttons and housings, however, I was manually attempting to close the flipper switch while this was happening and it didn't help. I also ran a business card through both the flipper and EOS switches, though I did not burnish them. They do seem to be adjusted correctly. I also gave all the coil wires a good yank to make sure they were still soldered on well.

It seems the more I play, the less it cuts out. I played a couple games in a row and it only cut out once. Again, as soon as I double-flipped it came back and lasted the rest of the time.

#5 9 years ago

The cabinet and EOS switches are hardface contacts...a business card will do nothing for them. They are made out of tungsten to handle high current. They are likely very misshapen and black from years of use. They need to be filed down to a shiny surface (or replaced) for best results.

#6 9 years ago

OK, good to know. Thanks. Any household type of file I could use, or I need to pick up something specific? Last I looked for this type of EOS switch they seemed to be out of stock, though I didn't check PBR yet.

#7 9 years ago

So, don't use my wife's nail file?

#8 9 years ago

I probably wouldn't ruin her good nail file, but you might swipe an emery board to get you by.

#9 9 years ago

You can use a regular ol' metal file (bastard?) with the wooden handle hammered on the end. That's what I use now after trying several different smaller files. None had enough OOMPH to really cut the tungsten like the big file does. The points will get hot during filing so careful not to burn your fingertips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/r-flipper-only-starts-working-with-double-flip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.