Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lamp-mx_col.gif
#1 8 years ago

Howdy,
Just picked up my "holy grail", a Bryan Kelly restored AFM. Bummer to find out I have (2) columns completely out on the lamp matrix. I double checked all the connections and they all look ok. I looked on pinwiki and it explains a test that requires a test socket/bulb and jumpering to specific pins and to look for the bulb to flash. I ran out of time at that point and had to go to work, so after work I want to test the transistors. Does this test procedure sound basically correct? Would most make an educated guess that the associated transistors have gone bad for these 2 columns?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Does this test procedure sound basically correct?

Yes, simple test. Put machine in 'all lamp test' and it should flash at all 8 positions.

lamp-mx_col.giflamp-mx_col.gif

#4 8 years ago

What an awesome animated gif

#5 8 years ago

I was a little lazy to make it flash at each pin position but the idea is clear.

Perform the test with and without J121-J126 connected, that would give information if the harness/lamps have a short.

#6 8 years ago

Follow the Wiki advice. Get two jumpers and a lamp socket and jumper to make sure you have a board problem before you do anything else.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What an awesome animated gif

That is awesome..I didn't know you could test that way and it illustrates it perfectly.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks guys, getting started now. I read pinwiki but wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I'll report back to this thread when done.

#9 8 years ago

FIXED!!!

Tested as shown here and on pinwiki. Verified the board was good. Even though I had already disconnected and re-connected the connector on the large circuit board under the playfield, I went back to that connector and jiggled the wires, then BAM! all feature lamps working! I know if it happens again I will reflow the header pins and check the wire terminations on the connector.

Thanks again to all for helping out with the troubleshooting tips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

16,500 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 21.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Wanted
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/qustion-regarding-testing-transistors-on-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.