Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zalinsky.jpg
    bitchfit.jpg
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

The words 'Thank you' go along way

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainFantastic:

LMK how you feel in 2020 when you have purchased 3 or 4 Different Paragon Backglasses for more than you paid for whole machine to begin with. At some point you will stop buying the "Newer/Better" versions.

No offense Capt, but if the 1st backglass I bought is fine and works great, then I'll just keep it. I don't need to upgrade. If you choose to buy another one because it has new and better updates, that's on you, not them.

Back to the car analogy...Let's say you bought a new Chevy back in 2010. Well, the 2015's are ready to come out. Now, your Chevy runs just fine. But you see the new one and you're like...DAMN! That think has Bluetooth and Navi and Heads up Display, and Night Vision, and HD radio etc. etc. Well, you don't HAVE to buy it. You WANT to buy it. Weather you choose to buy it or not my friend is up to you.

NOW, if your Parapon BG is garbage then you do what you would do with a new car purchase. To explain, If your Chevy ran like crap and cost you a couple thousand to fix it up over the years, you going to buy a new one? No, you're going to find and buy from a different company.

You can't stop technology from moving forward bro. It is what it is. That's life. Hec, I just got a beautiful brand new laptop in November. It's ALREADY outdated. What can you do? That's technology. Always moving forward.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I make pinparts for the American workin' man cuz that's what I am

LMAO!!!

#54 10 years ago

Huh? Who said anything about automobiles? I added my quote, the one you responded to below.

Have to disagree. Automobiles are a Functioning collectible. Go find me a Muscle Car where the Value goes up if you replace all the Sheet Metal/Doors and the Numbers don't match. The value drops drastically with After Market parts.

Quoted from jalpert:

All baseball cards have are collectability. Pinball is a functional, fun game that works. It makes no sense to compare the two. Collectability is just one of the many factors of a pinball machine.

#55 10 years ago

And that's who I care about! LOL

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

that's true, and i think it's fantastic. finally a hobby where people like to play and use the stuff they collect! i have zero interest in hobbies where the object of collection just sits in some sealed container never getting used. utterly pointless endeavor. you can keep your boring mickey mantle or boba fett in its original packaging. i like to play pinball.
    put the highest-quality part available on my machine. i could not care less about the historical authenticity of some gear or bulb.

Well said brother!

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

For me, I'd rather by a Twilight Zone (My all time favorite pin) that has been completely gone through with all the best new technology and new parts and mods etc. that I am almost certain will give me years of worry free family fun.
    As I said, I'm an ignorant newbie. This is just my personal opinion and what I think others may be feeling as well. That's why they'll by the "New" Fathom over the original.

Your opinion is as relevant as anybody else's regardless of how long you have been in the hobby or how many machines you own. People are taking some of what I said out of context. I was only referring to Backglass/Plastics/Playfields etc Not the actual mechanics/boards blah blah blah in a pinball machine. You wont find a car with 50 year old spark plugs in it that work. Some things have to be changed. An original Fathom with the same "Upgraded mechanics" as a Repro BG/Plastics/Playfield one should command a lot more money in my view. That's all I was TRYING to say.

And I don't collect BB Cards/Comics for the record although there is nothing wrong with that. Just Pinballs/RIAA Gold/Platinum Record awards

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Huh? Who said anything about automobiles? I added my quote, the one you responded to below.

You said Pinballs are a Functioning collectible and cant be compared to BB Cards or Comics. So I brought another FUNCTIONING collectible to the equation to make my point. Not sure how many "Functioning" collectibles are out in the world but I guarantee in most of them ORIGINAL = worth more money.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Reading through another post about reproduction pop bumper caps and all it contains is people whining and complaining. Another thread complaining about how bad a repro CFTBL hologram looks. Do you know how much time and effort these guys put into this hobby to reproduce these parts? Think you can do better?

We've always had reproduction parts of varying degrees and for the most part they were SUB PAR. Thankfully when some people got involved and wanted to do things RIGHT... and there was motivation to fight the aussie.. we had the alliance formed and the people CAPABLE of making parts aligned with the people with the legal elements and original materials that were holding reproductions back. Finally at that point the flood gates started opening.

The amount of effort someone put into the part is meaningless to someone who is buying the part off of a retailer's website who makes no mention that the part is a reproduction nor where it came from.

Were you not around when people had to constantly pester the retailers to disclose where a part was coming from... so we the CUSTOMERS might have an idea if the part is actually any good or not?

How would you feel if you bought something expecting it to look a certain way and after unboxing it find out it doesn't match your other stuff, doesn't look at good, etc... but NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL YOU THAT? Are you going to say 'well jeez wally... they did work hard at it!'

No one is slamming the parts makers - we just want parts that match the expectation of the buyer. If your part is not perfect.. SAY SO. If a part can be sourced from different sources with different quality.. tell us where it's from so we can make our own call if we think it's 'good enough'

You are complaining because people have the nerve to point out what is being sold is NOT the same?

Classic Arcades has a LONG history of this.. what he thinks is 'good enough' does not typically match other people's and the type of errors seen show a lack of attention to detail. It's sloppy.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

Hilton ... really. Like we don't try to make the best products we can - reverse engineering a product is not usually the easiest - look at the Hologram ... a 'little' different and I think about $15K investment - somehow he's trying to make a product that will get slammed in the market ... i think not.
    I think the message is constructive criticism than all this negativity, often from people who are not buyers is a little hard to take sometime.
    When people tell me there is an issue with a product, I get onto the suppliers to make them know about it and then we either figure out if it's all that the product can be or if there is a mistake, or what ... nobody making parts is trying to make a fast buck in pinball parts ...
    rick

Thanks for reiterating my exact point, LOL.

I was defending the people that stick their necks out to make product (even when some things flop) like PPS and making a point that making better product is the best way to shut up the critics while verbally defending on a public message board ususally does nothing good for the company.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I make pinparts for the American workin' man cuz that's what I am.

zalinsky.jpg 3 KB

out of california? HA! now, I might have believed you if you resided in chicago

#62 10 years ago

Thank you for stating this OP I was just thinking about your topic this AM when I was reading an exchange in another thread.

#63 10 years ago

Your opinion is as relevant as anybody else's regardless of how long you have been in the hobby or how many machines you own. People are taking some of what I said out of context. I was only referring to Backglass/Plastics/Playfields etc Not the actual mechanics/boards blah blah blah in a pinball machine. You wont find a car with 50 year old spark plugs in it that work. Some things have to be changed. An original Fathom with the same "Upgraded mechanics" as a Repro BG/Plastics/Playfield one should command a lot more money in my view. That's all I was TRYING to say.
    And I don't collect BB Cards/Comics for the record although there is nothing wrong with that. Just Pinballs/RIAA Gold/Platinum Record awards

I hear ya bro. Cheers!

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

what he thinks is 'good enough' does not typically match other people's and the type of errors seen show a lack of attention to detail. It's sloppy.

Agree, if you're going to go to the effort to make a stamp to hot-stamp bumper caps, why not put an extra five minutes worth of effort to actually match the part you're copying instead of looking like you were just trying to do it from memory. Or if for whatever reason that is as close as it is possible to get without spending another month and five thousand dollars working on it, say so instead of just not mentioning it and then acting shocked when customers notice.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

instead of just not mentioning it and then acting shocked when customers notice.

Exactly - everything is about managing expectations. If you have a product that is close... but noticbly different.. say so. People will decide if having the part available at all.. vs not.. is worth their $$.

But when you sell it as a 'replacement' part.. do not even mention if it's NOS, 3rd party reproduction, or any variations... don't be surprised when people call out the differences when they are caught off guard!

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quit-your-bitching-seriously/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.