By goldenboy232

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15AB89B7-48A0-427A-82C7-71092470B578 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I had a couple of lights on my “new“ quick draw playfield that were flickering, so I went through and did the “Clay’s” method of putting a drop of solder between the socket and base of the light, and then also one on the “tip” of the socket to attach the wire. This worked well.

There was one remaining light, pictured below, and because it has four wires going to it I decided to first only put a drop of solder on the socket — Just to see if that would solve the problem without me having to unsolder and resolder the four wires.

So I fire the game up and THAT light works great and NONE of the other lights on the playfield work at all?! So obviously I’ve created some sort of short circuit just through that bulb. How do I resolve? Obviously, I can just take that blob of solder back off, but the socket will go back to flickering. Which wires do I need to move?

Edited to add a lighter photo for easier viewing:

15AB89B7-48A0-427A-82C7-71092470B578 (resized).jpeg15AB89B7-48A0-427A-82C7-71092470B578 (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A short would light the others or blow a fuse.
A break would cut power to some of them.
You made a good connection poor.
LTG : )

I guess I understand in part, but I’m not sure what I should do. I did not touch the wires at all – neither the two attached to the “Tit”, nor the two attached to the base. All I did was solder the base to the bulb socket. So if I reverse what I did, I guess the rest of the playfield will work and I will just have to live with the flickering bulb?

It seems like, per Clay’s method, that I should be able to keep that blob of solder where it is. And then maybe the problem is that I did not move one or both of the sets of double wires to the “tip“ of the bulb? Secondarily, related, I don’t really understand why this socket (and some others in games) have four wires going to them instead of one. Perhaps that has something to do with the issue here?

#6 5 years ago

I figured it out, guys. Once again, I’m an idiot. I had not soldered it back into the ground braid, and that caused the issue. Works fine now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quirky-light-issue-help-please?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.