Quietest Pinball?

By radial_head

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So before I start this thread, I will make the clarification, I have read ALL the the threads about making a pinball machine silent. This is NOT one of those threads.

Recently I went to a friend of mine’s the other day to help him set up a machine and we fired up all three and gave them a few plays. Earthshaker, Tales From The Crypt, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

By far, CFTBL was the quietest game, which absolutely perplexed me (shaker motors aside). Not for any reason, but just because my head says “pinball got louder and noisier with time”.

So, since I live in a victorian apartment on the second floor above my landlord, what do we all collectively think is MECHANICALLY the quietest game ever made, and what makes some pins louder than others.

Games I’ve had in my apartment sorted loudest to quietest:
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Haunted House
The Incredible Hulk
Black Hole
Which next?

#2 3 years ago

Any pinball not plugged in

#3 3 years ago

I can tell you what it's NOT: Hot Line. The clatter that little machine makes is really impressive.

But what about The Shadow? No drop targets, no pop bumpers. If you can get the sound really low, it's just the SHHH of the metal ramps, the THUNK of the diverters and the light POP of the kickout holes.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

But what about The Shadow? No drop targets, no pop bumpers. If you can get the sound really low, it's just the SHHH of the metal ramps, the THUNK of the diverters and the light POP of the kickout holes.

I’ve been thinking about The Shadow. That’s one of the titles that reintroduced me to pinball when I lived above a bar in the Czech Republic that had one.

I’ve heard that those diverters and breakout playfield are UNGODLY loud. Probably not any louder than pops right after the plunge.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I can tell you what it's NOT: Hot Line.

I’ve been curious about EM’s in the apartment. I’ve worked on a few and own three. Two are in restoration mode. I figure I can silence the bells chime, but the score reels seem crazy loud.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

my head says “pinball got louder and noisier with time”.

Agreed. We just got a TMNT in the house and it is by far the mechanically loudest bare naked game I've ever played.

I remember Dolly Parton being pretty quiet with the sound off of course. But if you can't hear that spinner rip, are you really playing ... ?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I’ve been curious about EM’s in the apartment. I’ve worked on a few and own three. Two are in restoration mode. I figure I can silence the bells chime, but the score reels seem crazy loud.

I’d think EM’s would be naturally noisier. Score reels re-setting would Automatically be way noisier than any electronic game.

How about Walking Dead? Lots of quiet ramps and the ball doesn’t stay in those pops too long.

#8 3 years ago

Vitrual Pinball. Play with headphones on.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Winner winner chicken dinner

#10 3 years ago

Has your landlord complained about any of them?

#11 3 years ago

I’ve lived with this issue for over 20 years of apartment living and I can tell you they are - for all intents - equally loud. There’s not a single apartment in New York City where one game would bother your neighbors, but another one wouldn’t. If your neighbors can hear / feel one pinball machine, it’ll be the same for any machine.

Off the top of my head I’ve had probably 10 different EMs and 10 different digitals. always got away with them unless I didn’t put rubber padding under the games’ feet, in which case inevitably a downstairs neighbor would complain.

#12 3 years ago

Try a Hobbit! That game has enough pops, drop targets, pop up mechs to jack hammer through Any floor! Lol. Pinball is a tough hobby to share with non like minded neighbors. Sadly virtual pins or a hybrid like the Multmorphic systems (Heist is awesome) would likely be your safety buy.

#13 3 years ago

Gottlieb Atlantis can be pretty quiet...
I would say 1 player EMs that do not reset banks after every ball would be rather mute

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Has your landlord complained about any of them?

She didn’t exactly complain but when we moved Black Hole in there was a conversation that more or less went “What the HELL are those noises”. Rocky and Bullwinkle took it to another level.

Currently I have have HH in with a double set of exercise pads beneath it. Havent heard anything from her since thinking it must be the vibrations through the floor.

Quoted from jbovenzi:

I’ve got a table top VPX table in my office. Nothing beats the mechanical headaches of the real thing though.

#15 3 years ago

The latest addition to the collection: Williams Stop ‘n’ Go (1964) has surprise me which how quiet it is! The score motor is whisper quiet, even the pops and the reset bank aren’t very loud at all. This game is very very silent when it plays, unless the bells go off!
Pinball has definitely gotten louder and louder!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Games I’ve had in my apartment sorted loudest to quietest:
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Haunted House
The Incredible Hulk
Black Hole
Which next?

Data East have VERY loud flipper mechs, so that makes sense.

#17 3 years ago

I would think any game without pop bumpers would overwhelmingly be my first choice.
So you should start a new thread asking people to name all the games without pops.
Shadow for sure should go on the list.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I would think any game without pop bumpers would overwhelmingly be my first choice.
So you should start a new thread asking people to name all the games without pops.
Shadow for sure should go on the list.

No pops on Judge Dredd either.

#19 3 years ago

A machine with the fewest coils and plastic or no ramps - the opposite of what usually makes a game good. No pops will help but the flippers with high power coils are the biggest problem. If transfer through the floor joists is the issue then quality vibration pads are probably the best solution. You may want to check websites that specialize in soundproofing for music studios, etc.

#20 3 years ago

I got it. Scoregasm!!
Ask Terry at Pinball Life if he has anymore for sale. Problem solved.

#21 3 years ago

You realize how a game sounds at one place may sound way different in your place ? Louder or quieter.

LTG : )

#22 3 years ago

Don’t know about the quietest, but the discs on whirlwind make it my loudest game by far.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Data East have VERY loud flipper mechs, so that makes sense.

I guess this is kind of what I was getting at. Obviously open to discussing which games lack pops or have loud toys or what not, but I am mostly curious if there are certain systems/manufacturers that are louder than others. I guess a lot of it comes down to cabinet quality and mechanism noise.

Quoted from orangegsx:

Don’t know about the quietest, but the discs on whirlwind make it my loudest game by far.

I was actually curious about those spinning disc motors. Whirlwind is a game I have still yet to play.

Quoted from LTG:

You realize how a game sounds at one place may sound way different in your place ? Louder or quieter.

Since I work in the audio world, I am acutely aware of this fact

Quoted from Yelobird:

Try a Hobbit! That game has enough pops, drop targets, pop up mechs to jack hammer through Any floor! Lol. Pinball is a tough hobby to share with non like minded neighbors

I have also been curious about newer JJP pins. I've never owned/played a JJP game in any home setting but I have been curious if the cabinet is maybe a more sound absorbent.

#24 3 years ago

Buy a house, problem solved.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Or live on the bottom floor. I did that for years and never had a complaint even with 2 or 3 pins in the apartment.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh trust me, I'm working on it. The New England market is absolutely out of control. Going to give it a year to calm down before I make any rash decisions

Last place we looked at we put down a cash offer for the asking price and still got beat.

#27 3 years ago

I would put my money on a Stern Star Trek Pro with the headphone kit. Coils on that one are pretty quite and there are no ball drops or drop targets.

Loudest I've played even with headphones is Hobbit by far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
€ 24.00
$ 29.50
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 64.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quietest-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.