You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fan Connector_small (resized).jpg
Replacement Fan_small (resized).jpg
Original Fan_small (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I replace most of the noisy fans in the Stern Spike pins when they come in because they're so annoyingly loud with high RPMs.

Dialed In isn't anywhere near as bad as the Sterns, But it has three fans (power supply, CPU, head exhaust), so the noise is increased. The exhaust fan stuck to the head where it's amplified is the easiest target @ 30 annoying db. To address that, I went and got one that's rated at only 18db while keeping 80% of the airflow rating. The fan is yellow, which kind of goes with the aesthetic of the machine in a cool way. Sound problem solved.

STOCK FAN: 120mm x 120mm Sunon HAC0251S4-000U-999 120mm x 25mm square
Noise 29.6dB (A)
Airflow 55.0 CFM
RPM 1600RPM
Watts 1.9W
Amps 0.155A
Lifetime 35000 Hours @ 40 degrees C

REPLACEMENT 120mm x 120mm FAN:
Noise 18 dB (A)
Airflow 44 CFM
RPM 1200RPM
Watts 1.5W
Amps 0.10A
Lifetime 40000 Hours @ 40 degrees C

Cost $7.50.

There's still the CPU Fan and the power supply fan making noise in the head but changing this fan out made enough of a difference that I'll probably just leave it at that. If I want to trim a little more, I have an 11db fan that's taking longer to get here I might try later, but I think this change will be enough.

Original Stock Sunon Fan
Original Fan_small (resized).jpgOriginal Fan_small (resized).jpg
Replacement Quieter Fan
Replacement Fan_small (resized).jpgReplacement Fan_small (resized).jpg
Connector on PC Motherboard (you need to slide the pins from the connector on the new fan, and put them in the connector from the stock fan)
Fan Connector_small (resized).jpgFan Connector_small (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Why not just add a potentiometer and turn it slower? If you slow it down to the speed of your replacement the noise level will probably be close to 18 dB.

Have you tested for a temperature difference?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Why not just add a potentiometer and turn it slower? If you slow it down to the speed of your replacement the noise level will probably be close to 18 dB.
Have you tested for a temperature difference?

RPM reduction would not account for the large db difference, only bringing it down to like 23-24db. It would still be louder anyway because this fan uses hydro bearings, which are quieter than the stock sunon's bearings. Plus, didn't want to introduce new hardware. Just swapping fan for fan took care of the issue for cheap.

I haven't put a thermometer in there yet, but based on the Stern changeovers, I doubt it will make much difference in temp.

#4 6 years ago

A Spike video tutorial on swapping noisy fans would be pretty awesome?!

Surprised more people haven't swapped them out as they sure are noisy.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

A Spike video tutorial on swapping noisy fans would be pretty awesome?!
Surprised more people haven't swapped them out as they sure are noisy.

The hardest part with Spike is availability of the best fan. The one I used on the first ones is NLA. I have the supposed replacement. On the next Spike machine, I'll take some pictures. Changing out that terrible stock fan in the spike machines makes it so quiet you can't hear it when it comes on.

The crazier part is Stern is obviously buying the power supplies in bulk so they could EASILY ask for the better fan at the manufacturing level and the cost difference would likely be zero. No idea why they haven't done that.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The hardest part with Spike is availability of the best fan. The one I used on the first ones is NLA. I have the supposed replacement. On the next Spike machine, I'll take some pictures. Changing out that terrible stock fan in the spike machines makes it so quiet you can't hear it when it comes on.
The crazier part is Stern is obviously buying the power supplies in bulk so they could EASILY ask for the better fan at the manufacturing level and the cost difference would likely be zero. No idea why they haven't done that.

Well, it sounds like 100% worth doing if you can locate the right fan and then fit.

#7 6 years ago

Is there a possibility to make the cooling passive?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It's not practical. You would need heatsinks large enough to do the job inside an enclosed cabinet.

Additional cabinet ventilation in combination with heatsinks would give you the best chance of success.

You could turn it off when not playing it. I guess it depends on how rewarding the project is to you. It's likely that Linux has a utility to spin up the fans based on system temps. An Aerocool V12XT might be a fun addition.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Seems like overkill. Changing out the head vent fan took care of most of the noise. I probably won't do any more.

#10 6 years ago

Turn the volume up?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Turn the volume up?

It's not an issue when it's being played. Volume takes care of that. It's when it's not being played that the stock fan noise is obvious.

8 months later
1 week later
#13 6 years ago

That wouldn't be much better than what's in there already with 25 decibels max noise. The stock one is 29. You want to get into the mid-high teens.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That wouldn't be much better than what's in there already with 25 decibels max noise. The stock one is 29. You want to get into the mid-high teens.

25 dB is less than half the sound pressure of 29 dB. It's a logarithmic scale.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

25 dB is less than half the sound pressure of 29 dB. It's a logarithmic scale.

Then 17dB will be even BETTER. Somewhere in the 15-17 range should be the target. I've seen hydro ones in the 12dB range, but that was after I bought the ones to fix this.

Go shopping on Alibaba, but read the specs carefully. Some of those jokers on there just cut and paste other people's specs and/or pictures. You'll figure it out after a short time browsing. While you're on there, pick up a $160 "Play Pinball Here" neon sign. Highly recommended.

#16 6 years ago

PinMonk Can you link where you get your fans for Stern Spike games? I never thought about replacing it and I keep the pin in my office off b/c it's so damn annoying.

#17 6 years ago

I bought this one for Spike games:

Cooltek Silent Fan 4020

Maximum spin speed 4000 RPM
Noise level (high speed) 13.5 dB
Airflow 11.5 m³/h

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

vireland Can you link where you get your fans for Stern Spike games? I never thought about replacing it and I keep the pin in my office off b/c it's so damn annoying.

Pro or Prem/LE? They're different fans/power supplies on earlier machines (pros had a big fan in the middle, prem/le had a tiny one at the top side). I think Stern has unified them now, though, but not sure when the changeover happened. I'll be swapping one out in a few weeks and will post pics.

I made a Stern-specific thread for replacing power supply fans here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans#post-4351927

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quieter-head-fan-for-dialed-in?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.