1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by FatPanda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Unknown (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Anyone have any recommendations for a quiet affordable air compressor that I can use indoors without waking up the neighborhood to use primarily as a source of air to dry parts, but occasionally to power a nail/staple gun? I've been using canned air for now, but it gets expensive and they don't last that long.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Anyone have any recommendations for a quiet affordable air compressor

I recently bought the larger four gallon version of this:
    California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver amazon.com link »

My father bought this exact one though.
    It’s extremely quiet. I’m very impressed with it.

If you’re using it for drying parts I’d recommend putting a coalescing filter in-line with your hose.

#3 1 year ago

Highly recommend California Air Tools as well. I have a husky (Home Depot) “Silent Flow” double hot dog unit (bigger than the one linked above) which is no longer made, but my understanding is it was a rebranded unit manufactured by CAT. It really is super quiet. You can stand right next to it and have a conversation with someone without raising your voice.

Just keep in mind air blowers use a TON of compressed air - you need a unit with sufficient flow to keep up.

#4 1 year ago

it would just be for short bursts. Example, I but some flipper bats in the ultrasonic cleaner and needed to dry them off before reinstalling. I used canned air but it was starting to run low. Not really idea. I'll have to look into the husky HD brand if they are rebranded CAT compressors!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

a quiet affordable air compressor

Unknown (resized).jpg
    #6 1 year ago

You're always welcome to come blow dry parts for me

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

You're always welcome to come blow dry parts for me

Funny you should say that because that's what I use. Not a straw, but and old hair dryer.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'll have to look into the husky HD brand if they are rebranded CAT compressors!

The “Silent Flow” model was, but don’t assume they all are... that’s the ONLY one I know of that was CAT, as far as I know.

#9 1 year ago

You could also build a baffle box for it.

Definitely want an oiled compressor versus the cheap “dry” ones.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You could also build a baffle box for it.

I put my noisy compressor in a cardboard box with various scraps of foam padding.

It cuts down on the noise considerably, but it's a large box, and the compressor can sometimes overheat if it cycles too much.

#11 1 year ago

Almost sounds like an airbrush compressor might be what you need.

Not necessarily this brand as I have no clue how loud it is but you'll at least get the idea:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-kit-69434.html

#12 12 months ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Almost sounds like an airbrush compressor might be what you need.
    Not necessarily this brand as I have no clue how loud it is but you'll at least get the idea:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-kit-69434.html

The connector doesn't look like it'll adapt to a quick connect. Looks like it threads right on to the airbrush?

I have an 8 gallon Central Pneumatic that wakes the dead. Very loud.

#13 12 months ago

Just get some connectors for a 1/4" quick connect. I have a ingersoll rand pancake one and a hf airbrush compressor. I just let my parts dry overnight or the weekend and have no need for a air compressor.

#14 12 months ago

I bought the Rolair JC 10 for this exact reason. I can run this compressor downstairs and you can’t hear it running upstairs. Super quiet .

#15 12 months ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

I bought the Rolair JC 10 for this exact reason. I can run this compressor downstairs and you can’t hear it running upstairs. Super quiet .

A little bit more than I would like to spend for it's intended use, but I will certainly look into it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 110.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.95
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 30.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside