(Topic ID: 227429)

Quicksilver, why no playfeilds/overlays/hardtops produced.

By Mitch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I would buy a quicksilver...”

• Playfeild 12 votes
    55%
  • Overlay 2 votes
    9%
  • Hardtop 4 votes
    18%
  • None my playfield is nice 4 votes
    18%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180716_090850 (resized).jpg
20180716_090832 (resized).jpg
20180716_090822 (resized).jpg
20180716_090802 (resized).jpg
20180716_090658 (resized).jpg
20180716_090735 (resized).jpg
20180716_090721 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181026-220225_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181026-220146_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
QS_pl (resized).jpg
IMG_20181018_145136 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181018_145035 (resized).jpg
1476116962996.temp1 (resized).jpg
Quicksilver (resized).png
36088154_428562750952192_8120546807450173440_n (resized).jpg
Quicksilver As IS Playfield (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I find it strange that a title like quicksilver with the following it has and the fact that almost all of the playfields have wear how come no playfield options have been made?

Now I'm not sure if this part is true but I've heard from multiple sources that there is no copy rights on the classic stern artwork so it can be reproduced without licensing fees. ( please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

IMG_1522 (resized).jpgIMG_1522 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

How many “ugly” Quicksilver playfields are left out there? I had my playfields restored, like many other collectors. I’m guessing about a dozen “known” QS are left with playfields that need the love. As a result, who would invest their money/time in making a new playfield?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

How many “ugly” Quicksilver playfields are left out there? I had my playfields restored, like many other collectors. I’m guessing about a dozen “known” QS are left with playfields that need the love. As a result, who would invest their money/time in making a new playfield?

I would make Quicksilvers if there were new playfields available.

#4 5 years ago

True. Probably not much to be made if you think in terms of swapping 1 for 1
Many people bought Stargazer playfields, backglass, plastics ect. it build one. Now that would make producing repros doable.

#5 5 years ago

Same could be said about other classic sterns. 9 ball would be nice too.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I’m guessing about a dozen “known” QS are left with playfields that need the love.

I know of 2 within a hour of me.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

A dozen??? Practically every Quicksilver that hasn't been restored would be "out there".....hundreds. Catacomb too.

#8 5 years ago

With only a few exceptions, every QS playfield I've seen has been blown out. Having been a classic Stern nut for years and owning just about all of their titles, I've seen a lot of games...

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

A dozen??? Practically every Quicksilver that hasn't been restored would be "out there".....hundreds. Catacomb too.

Hey, it was early in the morning! Sorry

#10 5 years ago

No, you're not wrong. Pinball Rescue needed to see a minimum # of hands raised before making plastics. I wouldn't want to sit on inventory either.
Perhaps we need to do the same for playfields!

Could the OP add a poll to this thread? Use it to track interest in buying a quicksilver playfield.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

No, you're not wrong. Pinball Rescue needed to see a minimum # of hands raised before making plastics. I wouldn't want to sit on inventory either.
Perhaps we need to do the same for playfields!
Could the OP add a poll to this thread? Use it to track interest in buying a quicksilver playfield.

Yup there is already a poll. If I get enough interest I'll talk to some of the playfield manufacturers

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I bet only 30% of the original run are left, maybe less.

#13 5 years ago

It's a double edged sword.

Yes, it's a royalty free game, but they only made like 1000 of them.

Games like Comet, you have to pay a royalty, but they made over 8,000 of them - so a bigger market potential.

Somebody would need an unworn or NOS playfield to get an "all in one" scan on a Cruse Scanner to start working on the artwork.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I would make Quicksilvers if there were new playfields available.

No Meteor or Lightning would be safe if repro Quicksilver play fields were available.

#15 5 years ago

I actually found a Quicksilver last year that had a pretty nice play field. I still had it restored. Too good a game to not get the treatment.

36088154_428562750952192_8120546807450173440_n (resized).jpg36088154_428562750952192_8120546807450173440_n (resized).jpgQuicksilver As IS Playfield (resized).jpgQuicksilver As IS Playfield (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago

I think it would have to be a playfield that needs to be made (even though I own 2 hardtop pins).
If there is a playfield then you can theoretically build one from scratch!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

I actually found a Quicksilver last year that had a pretty nice play field. I still had it restored. Too good a game to not get the treatment.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing original playfield!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

If there is a playfield then you can theoretically build one from scratch!

Yes, you are correct about building one. The game that I bought (see picture) was missing all of the boards, displays, back glass, apron, Spinner mechanisms, flipper mechanisms. Yet had the nice playfield that you made mention of (thanks). Was able to find everything for it including the new flipper mechanisms that Pinball Life sells.

Quicksilver (resized).pngQuicksilver (resized).png
#19 5 years ago

My playfield is pretty bad too. I am going to make my own playfield protector instead and hopefully get it professionally laser cut

#20 5 years ago

Feast your tired eyes on this. I know where it is at but the owner will not sell. It does not get played. It just sits.

1476116962996.temp1 (resized).jpg1476116962996.temp1 (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Feast your tired eyes on this. I know where it is at but the owner will not sell. It does not get played. It just sits.
[quoted image]

Would he let you borrow it for a few weeks?

Rebuild all the mechs with new sleeves and rubber for the guy for his trouble.

If you could get that scanned in a single pass, I could clean up the art.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

Yes, you are correct about building one. The game that I bought (see picture) was missing all of the boards, displays, back glass, apron, Spinner mechanisms, flipper mechanisms. Yet had the nice playfield that you made mention of (thanks). Was able to find everything for it including the new flipper mechanisms that Pinball Life sells.[quoted image]

Yes. Cabinets can be built. BG Resto makes the back glass. Alltek makes the boards. Another pinsider, barrakandi, makes some boards. You can buy legs and all of the play field parts. Pinball Rescue made some plastics---do not know how many sets.

You would need to make a play field wire harness (Third Coast Pinball ??). Transformers and drop target cages are your challenge.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Would he let you borrow it for a few weeks?
Rebuild all the mechs with new sleeves and rubber for the guy for his trouble.
If you could get that scanned in a single pass, I could clean up the art.

I'll send out a text and see if he replies.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

drop target cages are your challenge.

There is a guy building Fathoms from scratch and I believe he just laser cuts the drop mechs and has them bent at the same company.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is a guy building Fathoms from scratch and I believe he just laser cuts the drop mechs and has them bent at the same company.

#26 5 years ago

Guys, I posted this in the Quicksilver owner's club thread, but thought it was worth mentioning here as well...

-->

I had some clear plastic protector sets cut out with the laser from 2mm thick acrylate.

There was some free space on the plate and I filled it up with a few extra protectors for both slingshots and the center plastic, which, as known, are often broken. Their shape is based on the new repro set as recently manufactured by Pinball Rescue (not sure if these are an exact match with the original plastics). Around I added a discrete 2.5 pt extra clear protection, which is hardly noticeable but in my experience sufficient to protect plastics from ball impact.(note that there is a slight difference between the left and right slingshot plastic).

QS_pl (resized).jpgQS_pl (resized).jpgIMG_20181018_145136 (resized).jpgIMG_20181018_145136 (resized).jpg

In case somebody is interested in a set (2 slingshot plastics and the center plastic), then send me a PM with your address.

For good understanding: I'm not setting up a business, just trying to help people who want to protect their valuable plastics. I only have a limited amount of sets. I'm charging 8€, worldwide shipping included (in an enveloppe). This is a photo of a set (obviously here with blue protective film still on, the actual plastics are crystal clear. And of course the printed plastics are not included ).

IMG_20181018_145035 (resized).jpgIMG_20181018_145035 (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

There was some free space on the plate and I filled it up with a few extra protectors for both slingshots and the center plastic, which, as known, are often broken.

Smartest man ever

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Smartest man ever

Hehe, thanks for the compliment, but unfortunately I'm not so smart it seems: already sold out . I should definitely have made a few more sets. Sorry.

(and at this point there's only a few Eight Ball Deluxe clear lane guide sets left as well).

If anyone would want a set after all, then send me a PM and I'll keep you updated when I will have another clear acrylate plate lasercut. That could take a while though, as I'm only producing protector sets for my own restorations.

Unless there are people who would want a complete plastics protector set for one of their games? I need 3 complete sets to fill a plate and then I would have some spare space left to add a few more of these limited slingshot/center plastic sets.

Currently I can provide complete clear plastic protector sets for:
Bally:
- Eight Ball Deluxe
- Xenon
- Flash Gordon
- Centaur
- Harlem Globetrotters
- Vikings
- Fathom
- Medusa
Williams:
- Barracora
- Defender
- Warlok
- Time Fantasy
- Solar Fire
- Alien Poker
- Firepower
Stern:
- Star Gazer
- Quicksilver

A full set would be about 35 to 50 €. PM me if interested.

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

If anyone has a nice quicksilver playfield mirco said he might make them if he can get a nice playfeild to work from.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

If anyone has a nice quicksilver playfield mirco said he might make them if he can get a nice playfeild to work from.

Details ?

#31 5 years ago

If you have a nice quicksilver playfield send mirco a pm or email

Screenshot_20181026-220146_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181026-220146_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181026-220225_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181026-220225_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#33 5 years ago

Is it Highclasspinball on here?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Is it Highclasspinball on here?

Yup

#35 5 years ago

If you have a playfield I can use as a master there are repro playfields available end of this year...

Regards,
Mirco

#36 5 years ago

It was such a hectic summer I still haven't re installed the Quicksilver playfield that sohchx restored for me with klr650 and Draino's help. Hell I haven't even finished spraying the cabinet. My schedule never seemed to line up with the weather and I'm going to have to find somewhere to finish it indoors. I wouldn't be thrilled to take a step backwards in the process and remove everything from the bottom of the playfield but it would feel great knowing I helped the community that constantly is there for me when I have questions. We chose a darker green so it might not be a candidate. You can reference the original green that was left under the mylar rings. He applied new keylines and text in between the clear coat. 20180716_090658 (resized).jpg20180716_090658 (resized).jpg20180716_090850 (resized).jpg20180716_090850 (resized).jpg20180716_090832 (resized).jpg20180716_090832 (resized).jpg20180716_090822 (resized).jpg20180716_090822 (resized).jpg20180716_090802 (resized).jpg20180716_090802 (resized).jpg20180716_090735 (resized).jpg20180716_090735 (resized).jpg20180716_090721 (resized).jpg20180716_090721 (resized).jpg

#37 5 years ago

Hardtops have their hands full right now just doing B/W titles.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Hardtops have their hands full right now just doing B/W titles.

That sounds like a "no".

#39 5 years ago

I just got licence cleared for quicksilver. So I will get it going now. Please contact me if you are interested in a playfield and it is hard to estimate a first run demand for me on that title right now...

Regards,
Mirco

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

I just got licence cleared for quicksilver. So I will get it going now. Please contact me if you are interested in a playfield and it is hard to estimate a first run demand for me on that title right now...
Regards,
Mirco

PM sent

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Ok, looks like there is lot more demand than I expected. Please forgive me if I do not reply to all massages Individually. I try to put all replys in the thread so that everyone is on the same page.
I will get the artwork in the cue which will take probably 2 weeks preparation. As soon as the black layer is done the playfields go on one of the robots so that we might have the final product before Christmas. Worst case shortly after Christmas. Usual turnaround time is 5 weeks but as there are some other projects going on same time we need to se how it comes along.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-mirco-playfields-demand-check
Sounds like you might have been wrong about this.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Hey, it was early in the morning! Sorry

Indeed. Duly noted

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Indeed. Duly noted

I totally missed that lol. I'm just jealous you have a restored original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-why-no-playfeilds-overlays-hardtops-produced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.