• Other 10 votes
    16%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

205535-i (resized).jpg
Lee (resized).PNG
10 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

When you use the Star Gazer custom ROM the rulesets are very similar. I give Quicksilver the nod for better flow, the insane pop bumper nest and best sound package for 1980. And another +1 for the history of the artwork.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

I've never played SG with custom ROMs so I can't talk to that but QS is my favorite.

Oh man, you have to try the custom ROMs. Forcing you to shoot the entire field to spot all of the constellations makes it far more challenging. In fact, many games I don't even complete them once to get the 12K super bonus. I also like the way it handles the extra ball target differently and being able to reset the bonus multiplier.

However, I'd still like the ability to spot zodiacs. Maybe after you max out bonus multiplier, target banks spot zodiacs.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Seawitch has the weakest art package but the best game play of those. 4 flippers, 3 drop target banks, incredible "rip tide" loop shot, pop bumper nest and excellent layout.

A nice, fast Seawitch is four-flipper frenzied fun.

The rip tide shot has a great light and sound effect, but unless you have a maxed spinner there isn't much incentive to shoot it, unfortunately.

Somebody needs to make a custom rule for the rip tide shot. Just like the drop targets that increase in value as each target on the playfield is hit, I think the rip tide should be multiplied by bonus x. Could you imagine having spinner at 1K, rip tide lit for 2x with 7x bonus multiplier? Instead of 22,000 plus the spinner, you would score 11,000 x 2 x 7, or 154K plus the spinner. With a well tuned spinner that could be a quarter million shot!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Funny thing is what I remember most about QS is the sad AAAWWWWW sound the ball saucer shot makes when you hit it. It's not a bad game, just didn't click with me.

Get a better cabinet speaker and hook up a subwoofer. When the saucer shot vibrates the glass you won't feel sad anymore.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Big Game, then Star Gazer, then Seawitch, Then Nineball, Then Quicksilver.
I am willing to admit quicksilver is low on the list because I have only played the one in Banning and its not setup well (something I hope to address the next time I am down there and get to tech).
Big Game is one of the best games from the early 80's, period.

I hope you get to play a QS that's set up properly. When you do, you will appreciate its speed and flow and understand the genius of its design.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I had 2 Dragonfists a few year back. One gorgeous condition one with minty playfield, backglass and cabinet that I thoroughly went through to make perfect playwise. After play testing it for a weekend to see if it would be a keeper, I was underwhelmed and called it a poor mans Star Gazer. Sold it off for a pretty penny. =)
Got another one that wasn't in as good of shape but restore-able. And sold that one as well.
As I did with the pair of nice shape Iron Maidens and the pair equally nice shape of Catacombs and Free Falls.
Never bothered with acquiring a Split Second after I played one at a friends house. Decent game but software didn't feel finished and again it's play underwhelmed me.
-DD
(Updated my top 10 to top 11 to include Meteor since it is deserving of a top 11 Stern spot.) =)

I, too, am not a big fan of Iron Maiden and Split Second. Iron Maiden is very cool and I'd love to have one in my collection, but I've played a few of them and all left me unimpressed playwise.

Played Split Second a few times in the arcades, never again. Maybe I need to give a nice example another chance. I don't know....seems everyone that picks one up moves it pretty quickly.

I have my concerns with Freefall. No one ever talks about it. I'm going to try to set mine up right and tweak it. We'll see what happens.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I am on my second Meteor and love it.

Meteor is awesome!

I'll admit, when I played it in the arcade I didn't care for it that much. Then I bought one on the cheap and thought I'd kick it around a bit for something different to play. I had just sold a Trident, which I liked, and was falling in love with QS so I wanted more classic Sterns.

Well I got it running, rebuilt the mechs and started playing it. It played well, but it was still just OK. I could roll it at will. I put the divide by 10 ROMs in and that ended the rolling, but I was still scoring into the millions all the time. It just wasn't challenging enough and wasn't giving me that "just one more play" feeling I wanted from it.

So I decided to make it harder. I raised the back legs all the way and put it on blocks. I jacked it up so high it felt like you were playing pachinko. Ok too much. I dropped it down just enough to the point where the physics started to feel normal again. Still really steep, but at least the ball would actually bounce off the rubber instead of dead hits and dropping. I also gapped the lower flippers EOS switches as close as I could to give them more power to fight the added slope.

It was there that I found its sweet spot. Now it's hard to max out the rockets. The ball moves so fast up top that it's harder to hit all of the Meteor targets. I tweaked the spinner to make it very lucrative. Even so, rolling it is a thing of the past. So challenging. You know if you can just have one good ball -- get Meteor targets up to 6x and get the extra ball -- you might have a chance of breaking a million.

Now it gives me that "just one more play" feeling, and I love it.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I think Meteor might be the ultimate bang for your buck game. Not to derail my own thread but Alien Poker is close to the top as well.

Genesis used to be one too. People couldn't get past the translite and nobody wanted it. Now they're starting to see there's a good game lurking under that ugly translite and the value is going up.

15 years ago nobody wanted these old Sterns. At auctions they were dead or had problems and you could pick them up for pennies on the dollar. Then the hype from the collectors started to raise awareness on these gems and the value soared. Unfortunately, the cat was out of the bag by the time I was looking for a Star Gazer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
$ 959.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-vs-star-gazer?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.