Topic poll

“Quicksilver or Seawitch?”

• Quicksilver 24 votes
    53%
  • Seawitch 21 votes
    47%

(45 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I’ve been on the lookout for a “Classic Stern” for a bit. I almost had a really really nice Magic, but it escaped me at the very last moment. Ideally, I’d love a Seawitch, but thought I’d ask everyone’s thoughts on whether they prefer Seawitch or Quicksilver. I ask this knowing they are pretty tough to find. Thoughts everyone?

#2 3 years ago

I've never played Quicksilver, but my local place has a Seawitch that I've played to death. It's hard to not have fun with all of those drop targets! Many other classic Sterns are a barrel of fun too - the drop/spinner setup on Meteor really gets me in the zone, and Stars has a challenging target setup. Just bought a Dracula that I'm looking forward to setting up, too.

#3 3 years ago

My buddy has a Meteor and we play that more than a couple of his newer Sterns. It’s such a great pin, especially for the price. I know a guy that has a Stars in his garage that he got in lieu of cash for some electrical work he performed. It’s a restore, but I’m patiently trying to convince him to sell it to me. One of these days...

#4 3 years ago

So Seawitch will run you substantially less than Quicksilver right now. I personally prefer the art and gameplay on Seawitch better, but you’ll get an equal number of opinions that go the other direction. In terms of bang per buck though, I think Seawitch is a better play right now. YMMV......

#5 3 years ago

Both are great . I prefer quicksilver but it’s harder to find one for sale and will cost you more .

#6 3 years ago

Love Quicksilver over Seawitch. I've had Seawitch twice and while I love the drops and the sounds the upper loop geometry needed tweaking IMHO. Once I saw the Beatles release and the loop shot revisited I sold Seawitch in anticipation of one day getting a Beatles. I'm also not fond of the Seawitch backglass.

#7 3 years ago

Several people are building one right now. Hit them up, you could get a new one for a few thousand.

#8 3 years ago

Both are great games, as are Catacomb, Nine Ball, Stars, Meteor, Star Gazer, Big Game, and Cheetah. Keep your eyes open for any of these!

#9 3 years ago

I have both, two great games. Quicksilver is a bit better in my eyes. That said, I like Catacomb more than either.

#10 3 years ago

Buy what you can find . If you score another title you prefer no issue selling a classic Stern form what I observe on pinside .

All suggested titles seen in this. thread worthy purchases .

Enjoy the hunt ! Shane

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Several people are building one right now. Hit them up, you could get a new one for a few thousand.

If anybody wants to build me new versions of either of those titles for a few thousand please hit me up

#12 3 years ago

QS is a fantastic game, great PF lay-out, great rules and great artwork.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from bepositive:

Buy what you can find . If you score another title you prefer no issue selling a classic Stern form what I observe on pinside .
All suggested titles seen in this. thread worthy purchases .
Enjoy the hunt ! Shane

This. Classic Sterns are super collectible. If you find one of the top six or seven classic Sterns you won’t have a problem selling it down the line. Grab any of them if you enjoy games from that era.

#14 3 years ago

I’ve been watching and watching locally. I’m sure one - anyone- will pop one of these days

#15 3 years ago

QS for sure.

Spinner on Seawitch seems really hard to hit, whereas butter smooth on QS.

#16 3 years ago

Depends on what you like. Seawitch is a drop target game that just happens to have a spinner. Quicksilver can be played a couple of different ways and spinners are usually a big part of that. I love both of them.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Depends on what you like. Seawitch is a drop target game that just happens to have a spinner. Quicksilver can be played a couple of different ways and spinners are usually a big part of that. I love both of them.

In my opinion, there are few shots more satisfying than ripping a good spinner.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

In my opinion, there are few shots more satisfying than ripping a good spinner.

How about sweeping a bank of drop targets and ripping the spinner with one shot . Oh yeah that can be done on quicksilver .

#19 3 years ago

Both great games but I think I enjoy QS a bit more.

#20 3 years ago

Can't go wrong with either but I sold QS and kept SW. When I did a stack ranking of all games vs. all other games I have Seawitch was the top classic Stern behind Meteor (my all time fav).

I really like shooting drop targets though, and I like the rule where you shoot all but 1 down on SW to get it blinking for the collect bonus shot. That's the key to high scores on that game IMO. Also it's just fun to backhand the top bank from the lower right flipper. I never try for the spinner or the riptide looping shot, it's not worth enough.

QS is a heavy left spinner game, and most people I've seen play it play it wrong - the strat I'd use is get the center 4 bank to 20k per target and go to town there (hit the eject hole to advance it - not an easy shot most bounce out)

There should be a sweeping bonus added to QS that I would probably do if I every got around to it.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Both are great . I prefer quicksilver but it’s harder to find one for sale and will cost you more .

Sea Witch had over double the production number (1201 vs. 2503) so they're more common. Probably why Quicksilver cost more.
I like both, but quicksilver is the better of the two by a slim margin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-or-seawitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.