Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_3874.jpg
quicksilver2.JPG
quicksilver1.JPG
1978_CAZA.jpg
IMG_3403.JPG
P1020362.JPG
image.jpg
Q1run.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Wow..talk about taking the long road. After some basic wiring unscrambling, repinning and such, took me a while to find a broken wire on a coin mech that daisy chains over to the start switch. I couldn't see it under the mech so I didn't notice it. More work to do but first a cold vict'ry Sam Adams.

Q1run.jpg

#2 7 years ago

Lookin good ! Beautiful game.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Best sounding STERN ever, great art even with a penis. I was sad to see mine go.

#4 7 years ago

Long live QS.

QSS

#5 7 years ago

Played one at KME's house. Great game and easily the best classic Stern IMO.

#6 7 years ago

I have a doubt about your spinner at left

Congrats - it' s a good machine.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

I have a doubt about your spinner at left

Congrats - it' s a good machine.

Aha - yes, I noticed that when I first picked it up. The spinner is different on the flyer, but this diamond patterned one is the same spinner that is on the machine at PAPA (reviewed here:

) and on several on the Pinball owners Database.
I'm just going to leave it as is.

Surprisingly quick. Fits the name.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from policano:

I really like that backglass!

Good backglasses really draw me in too, I guess that's the idea. Put your quarter up.

#11 7 years ago

Fun game, congrats!

#12 7 years ago

Just finish to restore mine, she's at clearcoat right now, can't wait to play it with the clear... Shold be very fast!

image.jpg

#13 7 years ago

I think there are different versions .
As discussed on pinside, different versions of Apron exist. Green . I have a Red version .

I play frequently about this machine - My best score around 1.300.000 points (3 balls)

Have fun.

With LEDs:

P1020362.JPG

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

I think there are different versions .
As discussed on pinside, different versions of Apron exist. Green . I have a Red version .
I play frequently about this machine - My best score around 1.300.000 points (3 balls)
Have fun.
With LEDs:

Ah, very nice indeed. I think I have seen different versions of the green apron too: A light green graphic on dark green apron and a green on black apron like mine.
I am working on fixing the apron art that had a heck of a mess of operator stickers in the middle that I was not successful in removing. I have the artwork that Redketchup sent me. I tried printing it myself on clear with an inkjet, but it didn't work as the ink isn't dark enough. Going to have to check with a print shop this week.
I personally love LEDs, just not sure I want them in this game now.

I've got cupped inserts mostly in the center of the pf, been reading about how to fix that. Just not sure if I want to pull the trigger and try it.

The last thing is the audio. It's such great audio it deserves some more bass. On the fence about adding a subwoofer.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I've got cupped inserts mostly in the center of the pf, been reading about how to fix that. Just not sure if I want to pull the trigger and try it.

I did the insert on mine, not so worst to do... I remove it, sand it to make it flat and glue it in place. The big thing about it is you have to repaint all the insert ring and clear it...

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Aha - yes, I noticed that when I first picked it up. The spinner is different on the flyer, but this diamond patterned one is the same spinner that is on the machine at PAPA (reviewed here: » YouTube video
I'm just going to leave it as is.
Surprisingly quick. Fits the name.

Spinner on PAPA game is wrong, too. Not unusual to see spinners replaced over the life of a game. Those things take quite a beating. It just takes one good smack to bend those arms out of position.

Quicksilver is a great game. Good for tournaments or casual play. Definitely one of my favorite Sterns.

#17 7 years ago

One of my favorite of all time. I have had mine restored now since 2002. Cleared it with Dupont 7600. Has held up well. There are a couple of different apron's I have seen over the years. I have never seen a orange on black or red. That looks like a Meteor apron but who knows. There was alot of mix and match at the factory.

As Brian said the spinner is wrong and you need to compare to an older stern spinner with the lightning bolt because alot of time they can be the wrong weight and slightly different in size. It is critical on this game to have the proper spinner (As with all classic stern games). Size, Weight, Dimensions, Under playfield switch. They fly when set up right. Mine will do in upwards of 175-225 spins when properly hit. Sometimes I get them both going while the ball is in play. Awesome.....

#18 7 years ago

Here is a shot of mine in the gameroom.

IMG_3403.JPG

#19 7 years ago

Nice, Classic...backglass seems bright. Is that just the photo, or do you have LEDs in it?

Spinner - so there are different spinner weights not just graphic/labeling? Never knew.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Just finish to restore mine, she's at clearcoat right now, can't wait to play it with the clear... Shold be very fast!

Nice Quicksilver

#21 7 years ago

Oh man, that video is soooo funny! There are so many issues with the machine I don't even know where to begin. My favorite is the spinner shot that tilts the game, haha.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Nice, Classic...backglass seems bright. Is that just the photo, or do you have LEDs in it?
Spinner - so there are different spinner weights not just graphic/labeling? Never knew.

I realized I did not answer you....Yes in the green area I have some frosted green and a few reds up top across Quicksilver. Makes the backglass "pop"...

Also Stern spinners were all the same weight. Bally spinners had alot of differences between games in weight, size of spindle, wrap inside spinner, etc. If you can take all your Bally games and put on a stern switch and spinner. Then you have a winner...

#23 7 years ago

Great classic Stern game! Just picked up a Lightning myself. Can't wait to get it up and running!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I realized I did not answer you....Yes in the green area I have some frosted green and a few reds up top across Quicksilver. Makes the backglass "pop"...
Also Stern spinners were all the same weight. Bally spinners had alot of differences between games in weight, size of spindle, wrap inside spinner, etc. If you can take all your Bally games and put on a stern switch and spinner. Then you have a winner...

Thanks for the reply. I have not found another genuine Stern spinner with the lightning bolt 'S' and stars on the reverse, still looking. There are decals but I am not interested in those.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Great classic Stern game! Just picked up a Lightning myself. Can't wait to get it up and running!

Yeah, QS sucks me right in. Definitely fun, fast and challenging. Good Luck with the Lightning.

#26 7 years ago

I love my quicksilver, best $150 I spent! It needs some touch up on the playfield.

#27 7 years ago

I've been on the look out for this one for awhile. The artwork is great. I believe it was borrowed from Caza and expanded on which seemed to happen from time to time in the industry in the late 70's.

1978_CAZA.jpg

#28 7 years ago

Nice catch! Doug Watson states the game was named after the font he used for it.

#29 7 years ago

Williams Flash has similar font and I find it on tons of stuff that wants to trigger that groovy 1970's vibe. You can find it by searching for Neon Lights font.

#30 7 years ago

Another post giving me Quicksilver envy. The only one I had a chance on was Tighe's. the ad came up the same day I was leaving for PAPA, trying to be the world champion. I guess it was a fool's errand, because I was left with no quicksilver and not crowned the champ. But, I'm still on the hunt for both!

#31 7 years ago

Nice work! I just picked up a quicksilver project myself. Unfortunatly I need to replace the transformer and one side of the cabinet is toast otherwise its all there and the backglass / playfield are not too bad.

Richard

#32 7 years ago

Finally comeback to clearcoat...

quicksilver1.JPG quicksilver2.JPG

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Finally comeback to clearcoat...

Very nice. Mine burns me with speed as it is. Yours is certainly going to be fast. Mine is up for a flipper rebuild this evening.
100_3874.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 899.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside