Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QuickSilverSaucerSwitch.jpg
20201105_195016 (resized).jpg
20201105_195028 (resized).jpg
20201105_195024 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Never had any issues in the past but the other day when I turned it on the kick coil repeatedly fires. This is before a game is even started and continues if a game is played. I believe the issue is in the mpu seeing that's its original. I was going just to replace the mpu unless this is an easy fix

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

the kick coil repeatedly fires.

You mean the saucer coil on the left of the playfield near the spinner?
If it's repeatedly firing once a second, the saucer switch is likely stuck closed. The game thinks there's a ball in there so it's trying to eject it to ready the game for play.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You mean the saucer coil on the left of the playfield near the spinner?
If it's repeatedly firing once a second, the saucer switch is likely stuck closed. The game thinks there's a ball in there so it's trying to eject it to ready the game for play.

Yeah the switch is open, it's not that

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Yeah the switch is open, it's not that

Did you pull the J2 and J3 connectors off the MPU board to isolate the switch matrix off the MPU board?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you pull the J2 and J3 connectors off the MPU board to isolate the switch matrix off the MPU board?

With J2 disconnected it stops

With J3 disconnected it continues

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

With J2 disconnected it stops

J2 is the playfield switch harness, so the problem is on the playfield. Were you doing anything under the playfield right before the problem started?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

J2 is the playfield switch harness, so the problem is on the playfield. Were you doing anything under the playfield right before the problem started?

No... I restored the playfield like 2 years ago, all new everything. Never gave me any issues, it sat for about a month without me playing it and then when I fired it up this issue should up. I'll look at the switch again but I'm kinda feeling its something with the mpu. Idk though, it literally has been bulletproof over the past couple years going to multiple shows with no issues

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I'll look at the switch again but I'm kinda feeling its something with the mpu.

If it were the mpu when you disconnected J2 (playfield switch harness) it wouldn't have gone away.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's going to be the worst possible outcome. It's very likely that it's something simple like a mashed diode somewhere, or something else shorting out that the game interprets as that switch.

You really want to spend between $100-$200 on a board that might not even fix it? You're out the $$ and you have to fix the original issue anyway.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If it were the mpu when you disconnected J2 (playfield switch harness) it wouldn't have gone away.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's going to be the worst possible outcome. It's very likely that it's something simple like a mashed diode somewhere, or something else shorting out that the game interprets as that switch.
You really want to spend between $100-$200 on a board that might not even fix it? You're out the $$ and you have to fix the original issue anyway.

Ok I'll look some more on the underside

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

agreed, could be a cracked solder joint on the diode, bad diode, especially on coil with all the vibration if you haven't gone under the PF recently...

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Ok I'll look some more on the underside

I see you've requested help in the Quick Silver club thread for this but you haven't updated us on your last post here.

1. Have you gone into switch test mode to see what it reports? You need to do this with all drop targets raised and the ball removed from the machine so no switches are actively closed.

2. Have you tested the diode on the saucer switch incase it's shorted?

3. Please post some clear pictures of the saucer switch showing the connections and also the gap between the contacts.

2 months later
#12 3 years ago

I tested the diode and it isnt shorted.

20201105_195016 (resized).jpg20201105_195016 (resized).jpg20201105_195024 (resized).jpg20201105_195024 (resized).jpg20201105_195028 (resized).jpg20201105_195028 (resized).jpg
#14 3 years ago

any other similar switch you can swap with to rule the SW out? Any other MPU you can swap in to check it out? connector/plug/wire look good?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

any other similar switch you can swap with to rule the SW out? Any other MPU you can swap in to check it out? connector/plug/wire look good?

Borrowing an altek from my buddy tomorrow...... will report back.

#16 3 years ago

Look closely at the switch. The tensioner blade for the lower leaf is bent upwards hard onto the upper leaf shorting it out.
QuickSilverSaucerSwitch.jpgQuickSilverSaucerSwitch.jpg

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Look closely at the switch. The tensioner blade for the lower leaf is bent upwards hard onto the upper leaf shorting it out.
[quoted image]

Yup...... thanks for everyone's help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 959.00
$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.