20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 8 years ago

Don't put too much stock into those 7 year half life formulas.

When EMs gave way to SS, operators found that even a 1 year old EM looked and earned like a dinosaur.

Often, you could not sell an EM for even $50, and some ops had a rule 'never sell a used game to the public, or they will stop playing on route" - so many games went to the dump.

-

When SS games gave way to DMD games, you could still get a hundred or more bucks for them. Professional auction companies like American Amusements would even advertise and (gasp!) sell directly to the public.

So rather than going to the dump, many SS games went to the relative safety of people's Rec Rooms.

-

Looking at that chart in 2008, supposedly 75 Quicksilvers were in people's homes.

Now in 2015, are we to believe that 37 of those games have been destroyed? How?

-

Of course very rarely we hear of a fire or flood, but not 37 of them.

-

I personally know where 11 Quicksilvers are, so there is no way that I magically have a line on 1/4 of the remaining stock.

There are many hundreds still out there.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Next time I go hunting for a game that never comes up for sale I'm reaching out to your first. How many Spirits do you know of?

Two for sure and one that I believe is still with the same owner (but I have not spoken with him for 2 years).

-

The two most common games I see in peoples rec rooms are Bally Playboy and TAF, sometimes both in the same house. Usually broken with junk stacked on top of them.

5 months later
#181 7 years ago

The flyer shows green on green.

The factory may have just used up other colors they had lying around, or maybe operators swapped them over the years?

Is the one from Ali the same red on black?

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

IPDB shows pictures of QS with green on green and also with red on black.

Right, but don't take those pictures as gospel.

There are also IPDB pics of Williams flipper bats in Classic Bally games, so whatever somebody submits, can get published, even if not stock.

2 weeks later
#208 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I would like to change my status in the club from Lurker to Owner! Had an outstanding pinball week and scored 2 of my wishlist pins within days of each other. Miss Quicksilver came from Kurt in Kentucky. He was selling her with 3 other projects that he'd been sitting on for 20yrs and never got around to. She arrived last Wednesday unharmed. I was worried because Kurt was reluctant to remove the backglass so the game was shipped with it's head attached. The playfield as some major wear but the backglass in nice. The 3 displays that work show 3 zeros.
The game boots up and goes into attract mode but without any noise or solenoids kicking up the drop targets. All three coin chutes do not register and I can't start a game by pushing the start button. The 2 white test buttons inside the coin door do not work either. All problems seem coin door related. I have an altek in her and read 43 V at the TP. All fuses check out ok as well as the 3 bridge rectifiers. Is this a row of switches issue?

Nice score!

Do you have a meter?

Have you checked if the switches even work?

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Its on its way to the new proud owner...She is going to LOVE IT!!!

She will love it if the head does not break in transit.....

#218 7 years ago

Always ship TFO so they don't stack stuff on your game.

31yLYb7muEL (resized).jpg31yLYb7muEL (resized).jpg

7 months later
#320 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. Does anyone know exactly how the rights of classic Sterns are held? Does existing Stern even have the right to reproduce the classic games if they wanted to?

At one time Gary's ex had the rights from the divorce.

I'm not sure who has them now.

Greatwitch John would know

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Drop target mechs are nothing more than some right angle bent steel with holes drilled.

Exactly.

Back in the day you would have to have a set of dies made to punch them out.

Nowadays, they are laser cut and then bent on a CNC bender.

We had all of these parts made from 1/4" steel shipped for $200 a set on the Mechmate forum (that center part is 17" for reference):

Photo 1 (resized).jpgPhoto 1 (resized).jpg

#324 6 years ago

Lazer Lord went for 7K

The ROM for LL is different than Quicksilver, so something is different - but I've never played it to say what the differences are.

1 year later
#737 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Hey, your machine was made with the same base material as mine! Our machines must have only been really close on the assembly line!!!

Can you imagine the uproar if Stern shipped a game today with a Z-Brick bottom?

It would break Pinside.

1 week later
#770 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There are oversized holes all over that I am plugging up and sanding smooth.

High Impact post holes that are so beat that they are enlarged, should be reinforced with a T-nut on the rear of the playfield.

Many SS Bally had posts that were directly in front of the flippers/pops, secured only into wood.

Those always got T-nutted by us, and often were done by the factory, latter in the run.

So don't be afraid to T-nut blown out posts, even if the factory did not.

the-hillman-group-tee-nuts-4151-64_1000 (resized).jpgthe-hillman-group-tee-nuts-4151-64_1000 (resized).jpg
#778 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My aircraft training demands that the threaded part of the post extend beyond the edge of the T-nut so I know for certain that enough threads are grabbing inside the T-nut.

But since this is not an aircraft, standard practice is one full diameter of the bolt for thread engagement

Standard 6-32 T-nuts are .25" tall so that's a lot of thread, even if you can't clear the bottom by 3 threads.

(or think of it this way, a standard 6-32 nut is only .1" thick....)

Quoted from cottonm4:

PBR sells these for $1.12 each.

Don't forget, you get your 10% discount for spending $100

#783 5 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

Why use the threaded posts at all? Couldn’t you just use regular screws and thread them through the bottom of the t-nut?

Of course I have done that after discovering that I've run out of the proper post, but twice I got bitched out when customers that I serviced, found "my crappy work" at some latter date.

Even after explaining that some manufacturers occasionally did that at the factory, I still caught an earful, lol.

2 years later
#1302 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So it has come to my attention, thanks to many of you builders out there, that my harness plugs are incompatible with the aftermarket score displays and other cards. (I.E. SB-300) The problem is that the plugs I use have the ramp opposite the side it should be on. Thus it is pretty much impossible to get it on.

You actually have it correct.

The "wall" that keeps you from installing the plugs backwards should face the interior of the card, the pins face the exterior.

If the "walls" were installed along the exterior of the boards, then it would impossible to hook your microclips for testing around the pins while the connectors were still installed.

#1304 3 years ago

Just make sure if you flip your connector pins to match some crazy-backwards-assembled aftermarket display, than you don't forget to put the plastic keying pin back in

Otherwise, someone in the future will certainly put it back together the "right" way, which is now backwards

1 month later
#1333 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

My pic above is using the original-style opaque yellow mushroom caps on QS. It's this that I don't like...
[quoted image]

Yeah, I don't like any bright lights shooting up into my eyes either - too much glare

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 959.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 3.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.