20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider msarac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

7 months later
#1386 3 years ago

I'm getting ready to make the wood rails for my build and was wondering if anyone had the correct lengths for the two around the shooter lane?

#1390 3 years ago

Thanks Cotton, much appreciated reminder to not overthink this!

1 month later
#1465 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is how you do a drop target:

Perfect timing as I'm about to mount my slings and then on to the drop targets! Thanks for this.

Any helpful tips on positioning the slings correctly? I'm trying to ensure they don't hit the playfield at full extension, but finding it a little tricky with two separate components to hold in place...

#1476 2 years ago

Could someone who has built a QS using the Third Coast harness post some pics of the wiring of both drop assemblies, and the flipper area?

I thought it had it figured out, but now starting to question my sanity! Thanks in advance.

#1478 2 years ago

An excellent reference, and one I've been following religiously. We've been PM'ing around the drop wiring this morning and still aren't sure, so I was hoping someone who has done this before could confirm what is correct.

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

What do you need to know? I am here to help.

Yeah, you might know a thing or two about this harness.

Basically if the diode orientation and locations should look like this. Sorry but the site isn't letting me rotate the pic....

4bank (resized).jpeg4bank (resized).jpeg
#1484 2 years ago

That makes perfect sense and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I ended up popping out the white/brown and yellow/red out of the harness molex and put them in their own 2 position molex connector - now I can remove the drop assembly without having to touch the switches at all.

new4bank (resized).jpegnew4bank (resized).jpeg
#1509 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

One was a six week odyssey tracking down intermittent issues...

Oh man I hope this one doesn't take six weeks!

So I've managed to convert a fully working Dracula into a semi-working QS. I've been getting help from djblouw but figured I'd throw this out to a wider audience as well.

The machine will boot with 7 flashes into attract mode. Nothing is registering as stuck closed in switch test. Still in attract mode, if I drop any 4-5 drop targets - that don't complete a bank i.e. any two each in the 3&4 banks - the kickout coil will fire like it's trying to clear a ball.

If I start a game things play normally till I knock down that combo of targets above, then the saucer will score and the coil will kick until I clear one of the banks. After that random things will happen, usually a phantom ball drain or a hard MPU reboot. Often after the reboot pressing the credit button will cause another reboot, and it will take a hard machine power off to be able to actually start a game.

I've poured over the W-Y and W-B strings to see anywhere I could have tied these two together, but I'm just not seeing anything with the wiring, diode orientation, or potential shorts. That said, me and the flow of electrons don't really get along, so I'm attaching some pics of all the switches in question in the hope that somebody spots something. I'm pulling my hair out on this one so any help is appreciated.

WB 4bank (resized).jpegWB 4bank (resized).jpegWB rollovers (resized).jpegWB rollovers (resized).jpegWY Drops (resized).jpegWY Drops (resized).jpegWY Kickout (resized).jpegWY Kickout (resized).jpegWY standups (resized).jpegWY standups (resized).jpeg
#1510 2 years ago

Should have mentioned that it's a new Nvram.weebly MPU and SDB. Same ones that worked perfectly in Dracula, and I have cleared the memory when changing the MPU to QS, and confirmed with Andrew that all settings are correct....

#1512 2 years ago

Bottom switch is the kickout, which is at the end of the W-Y along with the 3 bank. The top switch is the left spinner.

#1518 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Stuck coin door switches, slam tilt shorting to the door, plumb tilt with a bad cap or the roll ball tilt with a corroded ball can cause weird issues like you describe.

I forgot about the plumb cap as that's bit me before, so I replaced that with a new one, new diodes on the credit, slam, and tilt switches, and removed that badly corroded ball for fun. No love.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Pull connector J-2 on your MPU....

I pulled those wires as suggested and played around with the drops and played a few games. Took lots of notes but couldn't really see any patterns that made sense. Let's just sum that up as "weird shit continued to happen". I can type out some of the behavior if you're interested, but I spent some time with the multimeter and found something I think might not be right. It seems to me that these banks are linked somehow, as all the fun starts when the drops start dropping...

So I clipped a lead to each of the common wires on the DT assemblies and put the meter into continuity mode. With all the drop targets up, there is no beep. When i drop a single target on each bank, that AREN'T on the same row, no beep. But when I drop any two on the same row, i DO get continuity. See the super artistic visual aid below, where the orange arrows are dropped targets.

QS switch matrix (resized).jpgQS switch matrix (resized).jpg

In a correctly wired switch matrix, this wouldn't be happening right? Wrong? I don't know? I performed the same test with two drop banks that share a row on my Meteor, and I couldn't reproduce the results - no continuity. Probably explains why Meteor works and QS doesn't?

So if that's the case, where should I be looking next?

#1520 2 years ago

Tough to get a focus, but I'm assuming you're looking for lugs or other things shorting together. I don't see anything touching. W-B and top lug look bad in that first pic but its just the angle...

All the diodes tested ok, no continuity between banded and non-banded legs.

4FAC4700-2D91-43E1-A53B-9A97B6382499 (resized).jpeg4FAC4700-2D91-43E1-A53B-9A97B6382499 (resized).jpegE6D99DB4-6022-4080-9995-B0A85EE84862 (resized).jpegE6D99DB4-6022-4080-9995-B0A85EE84862 (resized).jpegFBAA56A1-4664-4F1D-849A-E7BB4822E1BC (resized).jpegFBAA56A1-4664-4F1D-849A-E7BB4822E1BC (resized).jpeg
#1521 2 years ago

Ok so I solved it. Went back to the Meteor and studied those banks, came back and wired up both banks like this instead

Correct drop wiring (resized).jpegCorrect drop wiring (resized).jpeg:

Row wire to one switch leaf
Banded side of diode to other switch leaf
Non-banded side of diode, common wire, and column wire to the dead lug

Played about a dozen games since and not a single issue. Thanks to everyone who responded!

#1530 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Well this wasn’t what I ever wanted to see on my Mirco pf... looks like the clear around the saucer is starting to crack. I can slightly lift it with my finger but it’s all still “there”.

I feel your pain. Mine did the same exact thing this morning but I have maybe 100 games on it - hell I'm still tuning the damn thing. My playfield also has been curing since last June so I wonder if these are from the same batch.

I have the Kruzman kit but is the idea to slightly lift the chip and try to glue it back down, or just use the needle to try to inject under it?A68763C4-59A1-4734-AF2D-AE74F80D9B23 (resized).jpegA68763C4-59A1-4734-AF2D-AE74F80D9B23 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 959.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider msarac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome?tu=msarac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.