20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnyfalcon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#821 4 years ago

Joined the QS club today, pretty chuffed to find one and excited to have yet another long thread to trawl through ☺️

It’s in pretty good shape cosmetically, but sadly doesn’t work. It turns on but does nothing else. I own a number of B/W and have restored a few so know my way around a pin reasonably well, but Classic Sterns are new to me. Apparently the previous owner had it for 25 years but it hasn’t worked for a number of years.

All fuses in the cabinet buzz out. It has no startup sound, start button does nothing though I do have some GI, insert and backboard lights working.

The displays showed nothing when I first fired it up, but seemed to come life somewhat after warming up. I haven’t checked the cables and connectors thoroughly, but did notice a slight burn on the large connector near the coin door in the cab (lowest on the pcb)

Any tips as to where I can start to find the problem?

#822 4 years ago

Poor quality images sorry.

050D7DC2-1074-4933-B64C-1CB04A8A4E9B (resized).jpeg050D7DC2-1074-4933-B64C-1CB04A8A4E9B (resized).jpegE1778D90-6127-4620-8206-185414D11DC8 (resized).jpegE1778D90-6127-4620-8206-185414D11DC8 (resized).jpeg
#825 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But it looks like that play field is in nice shape.

And this is why your play field looks so good.
================================================
Worst case scenario: You buy a full set of Alltek boards and start playing. A full set of Alltek boards cost around $450.00 US funds.
Barackandi pinsider also sells replacement boards.
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
You have many good options to get up and running.
Classic Sterns are just like the Ballys: Playboy, Globetrotters, Evil Knevil, They are pretty much all the same.

Appreciate your wealth of knowledge. Where do you guys get parts for the old Sterns? Seems the usual places have next to nothing.

I just took some photos of the boards and will post them in a minute. But yep the playfield is pretty good, with only a couple of spots of wear which is a bonus.

EB4B30D6-8A9F-4763-BA96-93B5D037FDE1 (resized).jpegEB4B30D6-8A9F-4763-BA96-93B5D037FDE1 (resized).jpeg
#826 4 years ago

Here’s some close ups of the boards. Yet to take them off for a closer look.

7459BD19-7289-442D-8B2D-034E7AE3610A (resized).jpeg7459BD19-7289-442D-8B2D-034E7AE3610A (resized).jpeg95B4D89F-E407-4199-B82A-1A2E6C9E1C39 (resized).jpeg95B4D89F-E407-4199-B82A-1A2E6C9E1C39 (resized).jpeg0FB30040-A276-46D8-9593-0A233F8FCF2D (resized).jpeg0FB30040-A276-46D8-9593-0A233F8FCF2D (resized).jpeg34605540-A515-4EB4-8933-FC594A78C7D5 (resized).jpeg34605540-A515-4EB4-8933-FC594A78C7D5 (resized).jpeg98F578C1-7467-4CAF-945B-69345CA6E5DF (resized).jpeg98F578C1-7467-4CAF-945B-69345CA6E5DF (resized).jpeg19E21DA0-A660-4669-88CB-BEACADDDE3BD (resized).jpeg19E21DA0-A660-4669-88CB-BEACADDDE3BD (resized).jpegAC31F3AB-A730-4330-8EE4-EC3A4E518112 (resized).jpegAC31F3AB-A730-4330-8EE4-EC3A4E518112 (resized).jpegE4072E76-B88C-4B9A-A6BD-6460FCB4C5EC (resized).jpegE4072E76-B88C-4B9A-A6BD-6460FCB4C5EC (resized).jpegEE86DD59-61E7-44E3-8923-0EFD37AD7ED2 (resized).jpegEE86DD59-61E7-44E3-8923-0EFD37AD7ED2 (resized).jpeg
#830 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It looks like you have a mint back glass. The play field looks brand new. If your inserts are not cupped then you are golden. And you have the spinners with the green "S".
Some aprons are two shades of green. Some are black with the orange trimming. Yours is black with orange.
Excuse me as I start turning green with envy.
You made a fantastic score.
=======================
You can find many parts that are common to the old Ballys at:
http://www.pbresource.com/
https://www.pinballlife.com/
https://www.marcospecialties.com/
These guys are in your back yard.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html
There are some other pinballers with classic Sterns in the land of Kookaburras and kangaroos.
You might put out some feelers on Gumtree.

Thanks Cotton, the playfield is far from perfect, but yep, after looking around, it definitely seems above average which is great. The backglass has a few small scratches and missing art but it’s mostly there and colours are vibrant.

Thanks for the links, I have tried a few of those. I think I’m just used to finding parts for the old B/W machines which are everywhere, usually itemised and categorised etc. but that said, there isn’t much in these old Sterns. I’m just keen to get stuck into it and browse the options available. Looking forward to going back to page one on this thread

A2DE39B5-78D4-4754-898D-D90D4B1824D7 (resized).jpegA2DE39B5-78D4-4754-898D-D90D4B1824D7 (resized).jpeg
#831 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

What exactly are you looking for?

Rubbers 100% I need yep, the top inner lane plastics look to be incorrect. A few plastics are cracked. The boards possibly need servicing (Cotton has mentioned Alltek), I’ll take a proper look over the weekend.

Beside Pinside, are there any Stern Classic specific resource sites which you guys use or recommend?

Thanks again for all the help

And Kookaburras Cotton , you’ve obviously been here before.

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I do not see anything wrong with your plastics. However, Lee has you covered. He is in Melbourne. You are in Melbourne. You could probably drive by and pick some plastics up.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Quicksilver.html
I have never been to Australia. I'd like to check it out, someday. In 3rd grade, we had a music teacher who taught us to sing a particular song. I don't know where she came up with it. But we sang it enough that I still remember the 1st verse.
https://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/k003.html
Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be
So, a 3rd grade children's song is where I learned about Kookaburras.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kookaburra_(song)

Haha!! Brilliant, yeah that’s a classic Australian nursery rhyme. I probably learnt it at a similar age. Beautiful bird, got plenty of character, and a great singing voice.

I’ll drop Pinball Rescue a line, thanks.

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Start by inspecting the mpu for battery corrosion. Post pics of it, if you're unsure.
Next, get out the DMM and check voltages at the rectifier board, then the driver board. Report back the values.
Then, we can go to next steps after that.

I wont get the chance to check voltages till the weekend, but does anything scream out to you from the pics djblouw ?

#836 4 years ago

Just made a dash out to the garage... bloody hell its cold in Melbourne tonight... and measured the rectifier board. Results are:

TP1 6.2v
TP2 252v
TP3 13.7v
TP4 No reading
TP5 46.5v

Besides TP4, they all seem to be roughly in spec. I'm about to go to bed, but I'll try and read more in the morning, but can anyone offer their thoughts on TP4. Would that be the culprit for my issue? (QS turning on but not starting). I also noticed the far right large ceramic resister on the rectifier board has a leg blown out, along with a decent chunk of its body. This obviously needs replacing, but what would have been the reasoning for the blowout? I'm quite the noob with Stern electronics (haha) so excuse my simple questioning.

#837 4 years ago
8623E020-8FB4-48A2-8D6A-9F0CD61D3D8B (resized).jpeg8623E020-8FB4-48A2-8D6A-9F0CD61D3D8B (resized).jpeg
#840 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes, lots of things jump out at me, based on those pictures.
Starting with the rectifier board, it looks pretty hacked up. But, it can be saved, based on your skill level. All the stuff in red boxes needs to be addressed:
[quoted image]
Top left, is corrosion on the leg. Check the resistor, and check it's connection to the board.
Center, this wire should be moved to the back where it belongs. I'd guess theres some pretty good damage where this is supposed to go.
Right, this resistor is toasted. Needs to be replaced
Bottom left, the male & female parts need to be replaced. The white wire is supposed to go to pin 8 (although they do show as being looped together in the schematic)
Here's a pic of the rec board from another game (taken from pinside):
[quoted image]
Also, please check your fuses for the correct values. I can see your f6 fuse is a 4A fuse, when it should be only a 3A SB fuse. So please check all the others, as they don't "look" to be the correct values.

You my friend are a Champion! Pinsider of the week ☺️ Thank you for your detailed and insightful reply. What did the common pinballer do before the internet!! ❤️

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

TP4 is for your GI lights. Make sure you measured in in AC (not DC). Your pictures show the GI working, so I'm guessing this is good.

Hmmm, nope it was on DC... most of the GI appears to work so I’ve obviously made a mistake there.

When turning on the pin, the LED on the MPU lights up and stays on, should it blink/flash?

If the MPU is cooked then you’re probably right, a new MPU or whole board set might be the way to go.

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Ah, now I see where that orange wire is going. Yeah, this should be corrected. Possibly a burnt header pin on this board.
[quoted image]

I took off the solenoid board, and besides a few minor repairs which seemed to buzz out ok, found nothing to indicate why the orange wire.

Found a new rectifier board at a local pin shop, installed that, replaced rectifier connectors and still problem persists. So can only assume MPU board is to blame. LED remains on without blinking. Checked voltage at the 10000uf cap and it has a solid 5v. All connectors and headers are clean.

I took off the MPU and while some minor corrosion is there, the rear doesn’t look too bad. I’ve sent pics to a local board repairer for his opinion.

The cost of a full Alltek board set is pretty expensive given the poor Aussie dollar so hopefully some minor repairs do the trick.

2082A16E-791C-43A7-9F76-E4907EE16495 (resized).jpeg2082A16E-791C-43A7-9F76-E4907EE16495 (resized).jpeg28C885F8-1832-4592-89B5-D4CE01B5D454 (resized).jpeg28C885F8-1832-4592-89B5-D4CE01B5D454 (resized).jpeg92AEC96B-38F6-466B-960D-5EE09C1477E0 (resized).jpeg92AEC96B-38F6-466B-960D-5EE09C1477E0 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#855 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

new to the club:[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Looks mint.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Welcome and Congrats Neil! Love the flipper bats and rubber combo!

Agree! What are they?

4 weeks later
#886 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A turquoise and purple cabinet for a pin with a green play field. What a color combination That sure is a nice looking play field. And your QS has the black and orange apron. Apron colors seem to be all over the place.

What a work of art it turned into though!!

1 week later
#902 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

BG Resto makes repro Quicksilver back glasses.

Anyone have one? Any good?

#907 4 years ago

Can someone please advise as to the part number of the red ball guides at the top of the playfield? The 3x full and 2x half. Wanting to pick up a new set.

Image in below link.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/quicksilver/quicksilver_7.jpg

1 week later
#918 4 years ago

I’ve had my new Quicksilver operational for a couple of weeks now, damn it’s an addictive pin. Such a simple set of rules always leaving you oh so close to a big score... or more likely a miserly one. Shots are so satisfying, the drops are just awesome and that saucer is bloody tough. And the sound!! Just awesome.

So glad to have come across a QS, now the big question, do I keep playing the hell out of it, or strip it quick smart and get the full resto happening.

#921 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Restore it for sure. You want that playfield clearcoated so the game can truly live up to its name!

Already have a new Mirco playfield waiting. I’ll give myself another couple of weeks of playing me thinks, then restore time.

1 month later
#937 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Had a chance to see a Mirco QS playfield up close and personal at Expo. They are beautiful. The insert tooling is very visible when backlit. May bother some people, especially if on the fence between restoring the original playfield or buying one of these.[quoted image][quoted image]

What you can't see from your pic, is their poor customer service :-/

#944 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What kind of poor service are you speaking of? I plan to buy one of these QS play fields. What should I be expecting?

I purchased a Quicksilver repro from Mirco a number of months ago, when it arrived, I opened and inspected it briefly; it looked great. As I hadn't started my Quicksilver restoration, I put the playfield back in the box for a later date. Flicking through Quicksilver, playfield, clearcoat etc threads on Pinside, it became clear that a closer look was needed. I pulled out the Quicksilver playfield again and noticed the clearcoat was seemingly still not set, or was soft (months after production). You could clearly leave an imprint of your finger nail in it with only moderate force. Light rubbing of your finger would leave light scratches which couldn't be removed. There also were a number of inserts that were not level.

I contacted Mirco and listed the problems and politely explained that I would be soon restoring my Quicksilver and am hesitant to populate the playfield in it's current condition. His reply took longer than it should, having to email him again twice to get a response. His response was along the lines of leaving fingernail imprints with only moderate force is no way to test playfield hardness, that a similar action on a car would leave a similar imprint (I've tried this to multiple cars and it simply isn't true). That he would not allow me to return the playfield even though it's unused. Stated it'll be fine, unless you overtorque, that'll cause pooling.

I showed my pin restorer who claimed it absolutely should not be possible to imprint your fingernail in it and that without replacing or a new clearcoat it'll crack/break like some have claimed (along with another in Australia who's QS repro has cracked terribly).

There's a little more to the story, but it seemed obvious early on that he/they were keen to quickly wash their hands of it. So now it's risk it, populate it and hope for the best, or clearcoat it again (which many advise against with Mircos addball clearcoat method), populate it and hope for the best.

Being on the other side of the wall definitely gives them a safety barrier, but I travel to Germany semi regularly so don't see it as much of a barrier as they do. The language barrier however is quite different. They are very matter of fact and often seemingly harsh, this can make relations difficult.

#947 4 years ago

Mirco is a shonk, a shark. I hate to say it, but don’t hold out too much hope that the clear will harden. Mine remained soft for 4+ months, until I pulled the pin and decided to have it re-cleared. Mirco admitted absolutely zero fault and treated me with contempt. I refused to repopulate when I knew like others have found, it’d pool, crack or worse. It’s a real shame as his playfields are beautiful. If he was in my town, I would have personally dealt with it. He abuses the safety net of being on the other side of the world and treats customers accordingly. Yours looks great so far. Quite like the yellow rubbers, did you consider any other colours? I was looking at dull old white, you may have convinced me otherwise.

I’ve just seen your post @cottonm4, I’ll reply properly soon, hopefully tonight.

#951 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I don't know how else you would test a play field for hardness. And I'm guessing he did not say. I agree that a fingernail test would not work on a car. I know the paint cure process can be speeded up by baking the paint but baking a wooden play field is not an option, as far as I know.

So, now we have to use a torque wrench to assemble a play field? What should the torque values be?
I am agreement with your restorer.

What is this addball/oddball clearcoat method? I know from reading his advertisement that he uses ceramic clearcoat. I know nothing about ceramic clear and google searching brings up no information on ceramic clear that is of value. I am clueless on the ceramic. But other than the ceramic, what is his oddball method, please?

I know from my own clear coating that you can buff and polish to a mirror finish but running my bare finger across my cured clear would/did leave very minor scratches on the surface. Polyurathane paint is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. But under glass and with the play field lights on you are not going to be seeing very minor finger rub scratches. Although I will allow that the one solid green color of Quicksilver could prove me wrong.
I am going to have to buy a Mirco QS play field. I can't get around it. If Mirco would sell one without clear coat I would prefer that but I doubt he would do that.
I have cleared two play fields now.
On the first play field I did, I laid down the clear and waited for a few days for it to "cure". I sanded it and buffed and polished it. And then I placed in the sun to "bake". The play field got hot and the clear got fingernail proofed in short order. However, I noticed the inserts were acting like they wanted to raise up with the heat from the sun. Another light sanding and another buff and polish was required after the sunshine bake. But it was cured. Within one month of doing this clear, I was putting it together and I have had no problems. And this pin has seen hundreds of game played without issue.
For my 2nd clear coat I was scared to try the sunshine bake method. I just let it cure at room temps. For months. Then I buffed it out. Not too much later I noticed the paint over the inserts was "sinking" and I could feel every insert while blindfolded. So I sanded it smooth and buffed again. I had to do this one more time. It seemed like the clear was never going to cure. It was at least a year before I could start hanging posts and other parts on that play field.
Sorry for the long post.
====================================
I am wondering if you could, or would, take a hair dryer and heat up an inconspicuous are of your play field, either under where one of the arch plastics sits or under the apron area. Could you heat that up with a hair dryer and see if the heat helps cure it out to where you cannot leave a fingernail scratch? If some heat does not help with curing it out, then I will get real nervous when I get ready to buy one of these.

I asked about the fingernail test, and if that didn't represent an accurate test, then what would... he failed to answer that one.

Yep, I suppose that means a torque wrench, further details he failed to give me. I call BS on this, I have never seen nor heard torque settings when it came to playfield population.

I don't remember exactly what makes his clearcoats different. I've read it numerous times, plus I've personally had playfield restorers refuse to touch my QS. Something to do with how the artwork interacts with the clearcoat or layers within. Someone may be able to chime in.

It's my understanding or belief that Mirco is aware they have a problem, if you need to purchase from them, just be ultra upfront that you will only accept a perfect repro.

I have sent off my playfield to the other side of Australia for re-clear coating, as their are few locally who'll touch it, so I can't help you regarding the hair dryer. Possibly worth asking HEP, he happily answers most q's from the admiring gallery.

1 month later
#996 4 years ago

Need some advice. I’m currently having my Quicksilver cabinet restored, the silver has been sprayed and looking good with the stenciling to come. In the mean time I’ve powdercoated the legs and coin door. Long Story but I’m not convinced the colour they’ve used for powdercoating will work. Possibly too similar to the cabinet. My cabinet is being restored on the other side of Australia so getting true comparisons is done via sending each other pictures which are never truly accurate but they’re a decent guide... any thoughts? Do you think going a darker powdercoat would look better?

The coin door powdercoat colour is Silver Kinetic Pearl.

C200C7EF-CFDB-4D8E-A549-3F104F6B0D0E (resized).jpegC200C7EF-CFDB-4D8E-A549-3F104F6B0D0E (resized).jpeg901078AE-F6CA-4D37-B0AA-9259641433BB (resized).png901078AE-F6CA-4D37-B0AA-9259641433BB (resized).pngF507DB4A-0DE5-47EC-893E-F18BC6E1FDA7 (resized).jpegF507DB4A-0DE5-47EC-893E-F18BC6E1FDA7 (resized).jpegE7B81DF5-BC6E-43A3-BBEB-0B6AE4A41674 (resized).jpegE7B81DF5-BC6E-43A3-BBEB-0B6AE4A41674 (resized).jpegDBFE59D9-07B4-471B-AF46-7F46202DFAB8 (resized).jpegDBFE59D9-07B4-471B-AF46-7F46202DFAB8 (resized).jpegDFD49A60-5E1A-41F6-8A7B-3C047E4E6550 (resized).jpegDFD49A60-5E1A-41F6-8A7B-3C047E4E6550 (resized).jpeg4ACA50A7-CAB6-46FD-AB1D-6D173867C1FC (resized).jpeg4ACA50A7-CAB6-46FD-AB1D-6D173867C1FC (resized).jpeg
#997 4 years ago

This is another members QS which I quite like the look of.

8DA20979-D77A-4C02-98A9-C1ABC15BF171 (resized).jpeg8DA20979-D77A-4C02-98A9-C1ABC15BF171 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1025 4 years ago

Does anyone have a full Quicksilver rubber kit list? The manual is not complete, plus doesn't use typical terminology.

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

While not answering your question directly, the rubber size details in red below might help.
[quoted image]

Thank you, yeah I did see this, but it doesn’t appear complete. If someone has a rubber list with quantities I’d appreciate it. My playfield is packed away while I’m restoring the cab and can’t easily get to it.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You can figure it out. Just pretend this drawing is your play field. Count up all of the R1 rubber rings for the posts. Stern missed identifying two R1s. I marked those 2 with red.
You need 14 R1 rubbers.
You need 2 R2 flipper rubbers.
"""""""""""1 R3 Up top, by the shooter lane.
"""""""""""3 R4 2 over by the left spinner. 1 below the 3-place drop target. Next to R5.
"""""""""""1 R5 At the 3-place drop target
""""""""""3 R6 2 for the slings. 1 for the 4-place drop target.
"""""""""1 R7 Above the right sling shot
""""" """'1 R8 Above the left sling shot.
You need 2 R9 mini post rubbers at the outlanes and 1 at the outboard side of the right hand spinner.
My count might be off by one or two rubbers. Double check.[quoted image]

Haha, thanks Cotton, yep given enough time, I could have done it with guide provided , 1st day back at work today and I quickly realised how far off the pace my head is... been a debaucherous break.

#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have you been having to deal with the fires? Or were you just out getting blasted and laid
One of my Aussie contacts in NSW had the fire run up to the end of his block. He is OK, but what a tragedy you all having to deal with.

A little from each category Cotton

I had 2 weeks booked in Bright, an area which was surrounded by one of the biggest fronts. We go there religiously for the fantastic Downhill MTBing, beautiful scenery, river and brewery but the town was essentially shut down by Emergency Services. A lot of the areas are reasonably remote, with one road in/out so the risk is too high, especially with family en tow. Add to that the smoke was next level crazy.

So the fires have been burning for months now with little reprieve wiping out over half a billion animals and unfathomable areas of forest, then yesterday monster storms flooded large parts of the burnt out areas filling the rivers with ash killing 1000’s upon 1000’s of fish. Hail larger than golf balls pounded further to the north, temperature and drought records are broken almost weekly... and today a perfect 27degC blue sky day. Anyone who doesn’t believe in climate change, visit Australia!!

2 weeks later
#1040 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Where’s the part about getting laid?

I’ll let you know when the vids released

#1041 4 years ago

I few recent resto pics. Cabinet, clearcoat, some chrome work and powdercoating is done, just need some time to start putting it back together.
8A71FAA3-4EFD-4656-B99F-CE7A2D665070 (resized).jpeg8A71FAA3-4EFD-4656-B99F-CE7A2D665070 (resized).jpegD50BB85F-72D3-4DC4-8331-7AC23323FECA (resized).jpegD50BB85F-72D3-4DC4-8331-7AC23323FECA (resized).jpegFA735092-32A8-41A6-8269-2145503274DF (resized).jpegFA735092-32A8-41A6-8269-2145503274DF (resized).jpeg

#1043 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Just my opinion... but with a complete resto like that, i think you need to change the ground plate in the bacbox... make a huge difference in the final result![quoted image][quoted image]

Where would one find such an item?

#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

any shop who made aluminium for house should cut these for you with the measurement. Pretty sure home depot have it in the USA

Agree, it does look good, whether the expense is worth it, I spose I'll have to look into it locally and work it out. Thanks for the tip.

#1049 4 years ago

Hi all, quick question, looking for new flipper coils, the manual states: J-25-475/34-4500. My local supplier has a couple which sound familiar but not exact. Would either of these work or should I track down the exact type?

D3738FFE-987D-4244-BE95-82141C5F4141 (resized).pngD3738FFE-987D-4244-BE95-82141C5F4141 (resized).png
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which pin are you trying to outfit. Stern used a couple of different coils depending on which pin.

Do you mean which machine?? Quicksilver. The label details of the flipper coils have rubbed off so going by what the manual.

4 weeks later
#1073 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I sure hope this is true. Being delivered soon.[quoted image]

Wow!!! So he’s finally admitting there was a problem and the method has been changed!! Strange that he refused to admit any fault when I explained my issues with my QS. And in the end had to cough up many hundreds of dollars more to have it re-cleared. The bloke is a shark, plain and simple.

1 week later
#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

I have added the key lines to the two rollovers now. There will be no more problems with the clearcoat.
The fingernail test is nothing you should pay attention to. All latest shipped boards for the last few month will never show the problem we have seen on a few before.
All boards I ship can be installed right away without seeing any issues.
Regards,
Mirco

Wow!! So you do recognise there was a problem with some previous playfields!!!... strange at the time you doing your best to pass the buck and acknowledge no fault.

#1085 4 years ago

I’m half way through my full restoration and need to order my last (hopefully) batch of spare parts. I’m struggling to find the part numbers however. Can anyone help?

Flipper Cabinet Switches
Flipper Bats
Flipper bushings
Coil Sleeves - How do you determine? (no listing online anywhere for these)
Correct plunger spring (internal and external)
The long thin (carriage) bolt at the front of the side rails (pretty sure used for earthing)

Is there a better resource than the manual for parts as it’s pretty light on.

#1086 4 years ago

Has anyone put together an itemised kit/list of LEDs that they'd like to share? Also, I've read the flicker eliminator kits don't completely allow the use of LEDs, what do you use to allow LEDs?

#1088 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The flicker eliminator kit worked great in mine. Any problems I've had have always been with SCRs.
I don't have an itemised LED list, but I used Comet retro under most inserts (the old single LED style, not SMD) because I like the look of them under the translucent inserts.
I put two blue flex LEDs under each spinner arrow and clear blue LEDs in the flipper return lanes which I'm going to change to ice blue.
I had to use a pink LED under the 5X insert in the bonus area because the insert had faded almost to white.
And I put two pink LEDs behind the Stern logo in the backbox.
All GI is incandescent with 44s in the playfield and 47s in the backbox.[quoted image]

That’s a beautiful looking Quicksilver Dothedo! New playfield? Appreciate your LED tips and glad to hear you had success with the eliminator kit. Thanks.

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Thanks! It's an original playfield that was restored by classic_stern. We were lucky to find one that didn't have too much wear. It has a few issues that developed over time, and one that's visible, even in this image, that we decided not to fix at the time.
I want to redo it and fix all of its issues, but it plays so well and I can't give it up. So I need to build another one that plays as well or better before I tear this one down.

Thats incredible for an OG playfield! I'm unsure if it was quality issues, or just the 40 years of wear, but Quicksilvers playfields always seem to be in relatively poor shape. I completely agree re finding another to restore so you have one playing still. I pulled mine apart 3 months ago and was really hesitant knowing the length of time it was going to take to finish. I've never missed playing a pin so much.

#1092 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Yup. Same in mine. Had several bad corresponding scrs for a few flickering inserts. I had to replace them after shotgunning socket and wiring swaps. Pro tip: try swapping out a light board if possible, it’ll save you time and potential headaches LOL. In the end the kit worked as intended in mine and sockets and wiring were fine.

What do you mean by "shotgunning socket and wiring swaps"? I've heard replacing all bulb sockets is a smart idea. I'm yet to do the sums, but it looks a costly exercise, not to mentioned getting the right ones... so many options!!

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The flicker eliminator kit worked great in mine. Any problems I've had have always been with SCRs.
I don't have an itemised LED list, but I used clear Comet retro under most inserts (the old single LED style, not SMD) because I like the look of them under the translucent inserts.
I think the lane guides have clear 1 SMD.
I used 2 SMD frosted sunlights in the pop bumpers.
I put two blue flex LEDs under each spinner arrow and clear blue LEDs in the flipper return lanes which I'm going to change to ice blue.
I had to use a pink LED under the 5X insert in the bonus area because the insert had faded almost to white.
And I put two pink LEDs behind the Stern logo in the backbox.
All GI is incandescent with 44s in the playfield and 47s in the backbox.
[quoted image]

One more q, did you try LEDs in the GI? I'm using incandescents in the GI of my Funhouse and prefer it that way, all my others are LED.

#1102 4 years ago

A question to the Quicksilver faithful, the QS Parts manual states a SW-474 switch (or something similar) for the flipper button switches. Is there a modern equivalent to this? Or can someone recommend a switch which will do the job. I’ve found a couple which look possible, but they don’t state dimensions so it’s hard to tell.

#1106 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I would keep the OEM switch stack and just replace the contacts with the new ones.
That way it has the same footprint.

There’s a thought. Not something I’ve done before, is there an easy way to determine what’s needed or just get out the measuring tape?

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The contact is that little button on the end of the switch blades. You drill off the back side of the contact, push it from the hole, put a new contact in place and tap it with a hammer until it is locked in solid. It is like a small rivet.
A set of flipper switches will set you back about $16.00 for a pair. Contacts cost something like 5 cents each.

Ahh, I was thinking he meant the entire blades, now that does sound promising!

#1109 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Ahh, I was thinking he meant the entire blades, now that does sound promising!

I’m already doing an order with Marcos, another from PB resource inc shipping will negate any savings sadly Entire switches it is.

3 months later
#1135 3 years ago

I just tumbled and dremeled all of mine. A lot of work with no guarantees, personally spend the bucks and buy new.

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hey quick question guys. I don't want to repost all the photos here, so I'll just post the link to my rebuild thread. Please take a look.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-2nd-restoration-quicksilver-scratch-build#post-5766499
I received my QS plastics from Mirco recently. You can read the post for the details, but I was shocked at how they arrived in the mail with no post-production prep.
In any case, the main issue is that one of my plastics is printed incorrectly. The artwork doesn't go to the edge in multiple spots & black lines are present. See the arrows. Looks terrible to me, like it was printed/cut wrong. The other plastics were ok. I just want to verify that this was a printing error & it not the way the plastic is supposed to look.
I've reached out to Micro, but no reply yet. I'm not looking forward to getting a replacement as they have been very difficult to get a response from in the past. [quoted image]

Another in a long line upset with Mirco’s shonky practices. Hope you’re able to get it sorted out.

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am so happy with the quality of the clear on my Mirco Quicksilver play field and my CPR Catacomb play field that I am going use them as they were shipped to me.

Really?? My QS was shite!

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Really. I have no complaints. It is nice and shiny. It was still a little soft when it arrived. It has been cooking off in its box as I am busy with other things.
Now, the clear is as hard as a rock. It is triple shiny. And smooth as the proverbial baby's butt. All it needs if for me to start putting it together. Color me happy.
===============================
What was wrong with yours?

My “shite” comment is no doubt tainted by Mirco’s incredibly poor customer service. The artwork and colours are great, but the clearcoat was crap. Still soft maybe 6months after production, inserts weren’t level with sunken clearcoat. Not comparable to previous repro’s I’ve bought (from CPR and previous Mirco’s).

Having to re-clear a brand new playfield is BS!! But it’s the customer service which left the sour taste. The playfield looks great now.

1 week later
#1162 3 years ago

Quicksilver resto finally done.
Cab completely redone. Semi matte finish
New Mirco playfield with extra clearcoat added
New plastics
Titan rubbers
All mechs rebuilt
All boards serviced
Legs and coin door powdercoated
All hardware tumbled polished or replaced
All wiring cleaned/replaced
Back glass is good but may replace

Still tweaking but plays pretty good already. Need to get some more ripping from the spinners. Any tips?

11401695-5FD6-4324-A645-8DAA602B16B7 (resized).jpeg11401695-5FD6-4324-A645-8DAA602B16B7 (resized).jpeg3F81AAF2-AB00-4863-9B83-B89D59B52BD7 (resized).jpeg3F81AAF2-AB00-4863-9B83-B89D59B52BD7 (resized).jpeg9162D0AE-CE38-48E8-9187-A2D1774AEAC6 (resized).jpeg9162D0AE-CE38-48E8-9187-A2D1774AEAC6 (resized).jpegD37F7A43-DF52-4EFF-B5E9-1F7D379B4DEA (resized).jpegD37F7A43-DF52-4EFF-B5E9-1F7D379B4DEA (resized).jpeg
#1163 3 years ago

BA131BAD-4D32-446B-8280-1DAEA23512E7 (resized).jpegBA131BAD-4D32-446B-8280-1DAEA23512E7 (resized).jpeg

EA9A8773-3E77-4937-9C32-6B7576DD7731 (resized).jpegEA9A8773-3E77-4937-9C32-6B7576DD7731 (resized).jpegCEBBBDD0-D934-4C5F-B9AE-F0CE84261C51 (resized).jpegCEBBBDD0-D934-4C5F-B9AE-F0CE84261C51 (resized).jpeg
#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

So for spinners you need to do a few items. Definitely make sure the switch as Cotton said is balanced and resting the spinner in a down position and barely not touch. No bends or issues. Tighten up the holding screw before any of this so the tension is tight to the playfield.
But before all of this. Take your spinner bracket and debur the holes where the spinner rests. Make sure they are absolute perfectly smooth on the outside and inside edges. Then take you spinners and sand the edges that float on the bracket. Make sure you high polish that surface to a fine shine. This is the spinner arms on both sides. Then use silicone lubricant on the parts BEFORE you install back on the field. The lubricant with solvents. You don't want to spray on or around the playfield. This stuff removes paint and melts plastics.
Put back together, make sure it's balance and then make sure the switch is perfectly parallel to the field when the spinner is in the resting position.
Thats all I got. I can get 200 plus spins on the left spinner on Quicksilver and Stargazer doing these small attention to detail items. My Galaxy I just sold has a super ripper too.

Awesome advice, thank you!! 200?? You mean 20 right?

#1169 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I mean 200 spins. Over 100 consistently for the first few days after these tweeks.

That is incredible!! :-O

1 month later
#1229 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I'm in.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn thats crazy neat, restored I'm assuming?

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from Teamhex:

Looks like I just joined the club. I picked up this one for $160.
Had to wait months to even see it, but I think I got a steal of a deal here. It mostly works fine except for a few things.
My goals for this thing...
Paint the cabinet to it's original silver color. (I need to figure out the stencil situation though. Any guidance on exact silver paint color would be nice.)
Fix the pop bumper switches being gapped to closely(I'm assuming that's the problem. Slapping the flippers set them off).
Replace the caps on the sound board, replace entire board if that doesn't work
Clean and wax the playfield
Replace the bulbs, rubbers, pinball, plastic caps, ext
Polish all metal parts on the exterior
Bake the plastics between glass sheets @170 F for 45mins to flatten them out
Adjust the bottom player 3 & 4 score displays to properly fit in the glass window
Is there anything else I should look at or fix to prevent any major issues from popping up? I'm a computer tech by trade, but it normally just extends to replacing boards. I have some friends into soldering so if that's needed I should be able to get some "supervision".
Don't mind the cluttered garage. Having a yard sale this weekend so we're prepping for that
I don't normally take on projects so this should be interesting. I'm not sure how rare this thing is, but a few posts mentioned it was considered pretty rare. I'm going to make my way through these posts and see what I can learn about this machine. Anyway...glad to be here.

$160 bucks hahaha. How awesome is that!!!!!! congrats. I thought I got a good deal on mine... might have to go back and ask for a partial refund

2 weeks later
#1248 3 years ago

So I was watching a Slam Tilt stream recently and noticed the slings and in particular the flippers were much more powerful than mine. I've recently finished restoring my Quicksilver and am still in the process of tweaking it, but I feel I'm a long way from having it right. It wasn't playing that well when I first bought it so don't have a great comparison. It plays well, but lacks the zing of other Quicksilvers I've seen

The flippers are rebuilt with new coils/sleeves and the switches couldn't be gapped any better. Where else can I look? Voltage? And the slings... they just feel quite sluggish. Everything was cleaned and polished, new coil sleeves with original coils. There may have been some movement in the mech but nothing dire. Are repro Stern slingshots available?

#1250 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Which transformer does your game have?

16B-3

#1252 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

You have an underpowered transformer that was only used in mpu100 pins. You need to find an mpu200 16B-6 transformer.

Ok thanks... I'm sure they're not at hens teeth level yet, but the 16B-6 doesn't appear to be super common. Can anyone recommend a supplier that may be willing to ship OS?

#1261 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yes, as with most modern games. Works solenoids.
The transformer steps AC voltages, which are rectified by the rectifier board. Yes AC comes out of the transformer, but the "Rectifier" creates DC voltage (direct current) from the AC of the transformer. The coils are powered by about 48vdc in my standard Seawitch, and I tested them dropping about 2-3vdc when flipping (4 flippers). I guess maybe a B=3 just drops off a bit more than that. The 48vdc switching power supply renders the 43-48vdc coming from the rectifier board, redundant. Replacing with a strong consistent supply.
You could use the 16-B-3 for 12vdc, 5vdc, 6Vac, but replace the rectifier output of 48vdc with the SMPS 48vdc thus providing solid coil power and leaving the transformer to provide everything else except the coil power.
You could also ditch the transformer all together if you wanted and use a PC ATX power supply along with the 48vdc SMPS. They have good 12vdc and 5vdc. GI can be run on 5vdc, instead of the raw unrectified 6Vac.
"43vdc" scribbled in everywhere in scats, edited?. I think it might have been meant to be 48vdc, but with the weak transformer, covering the sag by lowering the "tolerance". Bingo! now saggy weak transformer is "within spec" and not in need of replacment. Nominal. The B-6 would have less voltage drop (from 48v) than the B-3. Less voltage means less power. Hmmm mine reads 48vdc for coils here anyhow. Input is 240Vac @50hz.
The SMPS is adjustable anyhow, so you can turn it down to 43vdc if you really want. If it does not get overloaded you won't get big voltage drops anymore, anyway. You'd be setting it to 48vdc for the punchy effect you're looking for, I think.
What about the 16-B-8 ... what arcades are they from?

I can’t find any information on the -8. I think I’d prefer to keep mine “original” with the -3 before I put a computer power supply in. Would definitely be advantageous though.

#1263 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Well it's not original with the -3 anyway?. You really don't need to ditch the transformer for a PC power supply at all. You can just add on the SMPS for the 48v to give the solid coils. No less original than before really, just a boosted alternate coil supply.

True...

1 month later
#1292 3 years ago

I've just noticed a couple of my sounds have suddenly disappeared, namely the end of game match sequence and the "Quick" roaming flashing target extra ball. There may be others, but both of these now produce no sound. I haven't moved or changed anything of note. Strange that it's just a couple, rather then the lot. More likely a ROM issue, or simply cable reseating?

#1293 3 years ago

So I’ve had a further look, taken off and a fiddled with the cables, I haven’t buzzed them out but they physically look good. The SB300 also looks in good shape, I haven’t taken off the MPU to check the connectors but the board was checked over by a pro a little while back and given a tick.

Unsure what they should be at, but SB300 test points below.
TP1 0.01
Tp2 13.5
Tp4 4.95
Tp5 2.6
Tp6 0.005
Tp8 9.6

So connecting everything back up again and now the e tire sound is intermittently on/off/garbled.

Assume it’s cables?

#1295 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yes, good start to check the cables and test points.
Looks like voltages are good on 5V, 12V (Tp4, Tp2). Tp6 is ground.
Here's a couple good SB-300 articles for some other leads until an expert shows up:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-bally-s-t-stern-sb-300-and-vsu-100
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html

Thank you Ems

#1298 3 years ago
Quoted from dasha126:

I’m restoring a quicksilver where can I find those cool instruction cards.
Thanks Guys

Wow that’s a pretty wild choice for side rails. I kinda like it

3 months later
#1398 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Quick Quicksilver Question. I was playing a last game before fast eddied picks up my Quicksilver and I noticed that I'm missing the bonus light show and sounds before and after my bonus count after I drain when earning all the Quicksilver letters. I'm using a Weebly mpu and I hit the clear audits button just in case even though it's a brand new latest version of the board. I thought the only sound setting was background noise through dipswitch 14. I play tested a bunch of games but I didn't hit the switches by hand until today to specifically see and hear the bonus. Hope anyone has run across this, I have to disassemble this game in the next hour. Nothing like waiting till the last minute!

I had am almost identical problem recently. Turned out to be a sound card issue, a chip or 2 were cooked. It'd be worth re-seating all sound cables as a starting point.

3 months later
#1561 2 years ago

Hey all, my son is embarking on becoming the next Jack Danger. Still some ways to go This week we shot my recently restored Quicksilver.

Given he's only just turned 7, it's more directed towards kids, but you may enjoy also. There's a couple of decent games in there, haha.

If you're kids like pinball, please subscribe and show them the link.

1 week later
#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Hey all, my son is embarking on becoming the next Jack Danger. Still some ways to go This week we shot my recently restored Quicksilver.
Given he's only just turned 7, it's more directed towards kids, but you may enjoy also. There's a couple of decent games in there, haha.
If you're kids like pinball, please subscribe and show them the link.

Anyone familiar with QS and the MPU200 boardset, would you mind taking a squizz at my vid. After watching a few other QS streams, I've noticed an obvious speed change to the sound when you hit the saucer. Mine appears relatively slow in comparison. Can anyone offer their thoughts?

#1567 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The sb300 sound generation is intimately linked to the speed on the cpu board since that's where all the timing changes come from. So check your clock frequency and make sure you have the jumpers correct for the higher speed. Yours does seem slower.

Thanks Slochar, off hand do you know which jumper I should be looking at? I have a digital version of the MPU schematics but the poor resolution makes it hard to be sure.

#1568 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm whether 32-33 & 34-35 are the offending jumpers? And that they should be jumped together?

#1569 2 years ago

Is this correct?

E75F265D-A19B-45E0-BBC1-FFD31C8C6F3D (resized).jpegE75F265D-A19B-45E0-BBC1-FFD31C8C6F3D (resized).jpeg
#1573 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

how are those with mirco playfields coping after use? are they holding up or usual pooling crap?

Since re-clearing it, mines been mint!!

#1575 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The sb300 sound generation is intimately linked to the speed on the cpu board since that's where all the timing changes come from. So check your clock frequency and make sure you have the jumpers correct for the higher speed. Yours does seem slower.

I pulled the MPU off and checked the jumpers. All are in the correct positions including those that correspond to clock speed. Any other possibilities?

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

did you do that yourself or someone did it for you?

A pro did it

It was soft as butter for 6+ months after purchase. My guy was hesitant to touch it due to Mirco's bogus clearcoat. Luckily he came through!!

#1581 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You'll have to stick a scope on it to measure the frequency. It could also be the interrupt provided by the 555 timer. A further thought though, if you have 50 hz power, your zero cross will be slower vs 60 hz, and that's the interrupt that software uses to control the sound board.

You've just crept above my electronics skill set haha. I can use a scope, but don't own one... might look into it.

11 months later
#1701 1 year ago

Sorry to see @cottonm4, it's so heartbreaking

F U Mirco!

#1704 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I advised on my Quicksilver build thread that Mirco has come thru and has sent me a replacement play field. I am in process of transferring parts over to the replacement play field.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-build-is-proceeding-along/page/3#post-6992564

Wow really??! I had similar issues with mine, Mirco essentially told me to F off.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend re-clearing the playfield. Mine has been perfect since having a pro clear it properly.

#1706 1 year ago
Quoted from Dicky:

So did you repair your Original after your Micro had problems
Or you got another Mirco and had it re cleared and have no issues now

I sold my original playfield once I acquired a Mirco QS. Mirco refused to acknowledge any issue so I repaired my Mirco. My clearcoat guy was hesitant to touch it given the clearcoat process Mirco uses, but it turned out well. Nice and hard, unlike Mirco's.

#1709 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Interesting as the QS I have from Micro (Dec 2021)has a very hard clear on it.
I drilled a test hole or two in an obscure area to test.

Mine was soft roughly 6 months after manufacture.

Quoted from Dicky:

I got a replacement from Mirco & got Geoff to rub it back & re clear it
Been about a year now, still a little hesitant about installing it & having it all happen again
I think I would burn it to the ground if it happened again

Ahh!! Geoff did mine also. I let it sit for a month or 2, but no dramas with it at all. But yep I hear ya!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 199.95
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnyfalcon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome?tu=flynnyfalcon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.