20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

IMG_0082_(resized).JPGIMG_0082_(resized).JPG

IMG_0084_(resized).JPGIMG_0084_(resized).JPG

IMG_0083_(resized).JPGIMG_0083_(resized).JPG

IMG_0085_(resized).JPGIMG_0085_(resized).JPG

IMG_0087_(resized).JPGIMG_0087_(resized).JPG

IMG_0086_(resized).JPGIMG_0086_(resized).JPG

#6 8 years ago

Some photos before/during restoration...

IMG_0588_(resized).jpgIMG_0588_(resized).jpg

IMG_0069_(resized).JPGIMG_0069_(resized).JPG

IMG_0575_(resized).jpgIMG_0575_(resized).jpg

IMG_0079_(resized).JPGIMG_0079_(resized).JPG

IMG_0581_(resized).jpgIMG_0581_(resized).jpg

IMG_0584_(resized).jpgIMG_0584_(resized).jpg

IMG_4923_(resized).jpgIMG_4923_(resized).jpg

IMG_4924_(resized).jpgIMG_4924_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

At TPF 2015...

IMG_6283_(resized).JPGIMG_6283_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago

Magic eraser, simple green and a lot of patience.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Some detail. The above playfield is cleared with PPG3000, .25% flexor and is meticulously prepped with ME / Simple green. Also the inserts were removed and 2 part epoxy used. Also prep paints are House of Kolor with the Green mixed and dried before final mixture finalized. The Green was done starting with a color machine and then fine tuned after with current environment and 3k clear to match perfectly. The white is lettering enamel HOK. It was sprayed with a cheap sprayer and plastic screen enclosure in a pretty hot environment. Air flow controlled with fan under field. Not a bunch of coats either. It is not a "Glazed donut". 2 coats. no sanding in between and at all.

The color match and clear is spectacular. You did a fantastic job! It's holding up great...over 3000 plays between 3 shows and at least 1500 of those myself. Still looks like new

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

No love for Dragonfist?!
Marcus

I would if I had one...

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Snappy flippers: Check. I rebuilt mine. That, along with steep pitch, I get get air balls. I get glass balls. I get balls jumping over the sling shots. I get balls jumping over the upper play field plastics. It's a gas.
Educate me: What are the, " crazy plastic pop bumper rings and translucent lighting" of which you speak?

Coming to TPF? Play my Af-Tor and you'll see what he's talking about. Same pop bumpers.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Bowen Kerins has a Quicksilver tutorial on the PAPA site (Youtube also)
showing how much we can all suck playing this game.
It is on a totally Blown Out QS too.
» YouTube video

Good to know there's one game where I can beat him.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

What's your ideal strategy for QS?

Left flipper:
1st choice - spinner if lit
2nd choice - multiplier drops
3rd choice - center drops; 1st choice if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver'

Right flipper:
1st choice - spinner
2nd choice - saucer
3rd choice - center drops, but only if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver' as it's a sucker shot from the right flipper

That's my strategy anyway. Competition play may change it slightly, but not much.

#87 8 years ago

Those are cracks in the clear. ME with SG should clean them up.

1 month later
#92 8 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Are there any must have mods for this game?

A subwoofer.

Other than that, nothing....the game is perfect.

1 week later
#95 7 years ago

Incorrect spinners too, very hard to find correct spinners for this game. Backrack harness is kind of a mess too, not saying it can't be cleaned up properly, but it does add extra work if the wiring has been cut short.

1 week later
#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Looks like I'm in the club!
I picked up that machine from Tighe on my way home from Allentown last weekend.
It needs a little love, but I'm up to the task. The cabinet is nearly perfect, so I may just clean and do a few little touch-ups on that. The glass needs to be sealed and two small repairs made. The displays seem to come in and out... so I'll start by reflowing the headers and cleaning up the connectors. I already zip-tied much of the head harness that was loose and I have spare spinners. A friend of mine is powdercoating some yellow stern spinners and has created tiny little silkscreens for the logo/stars. Can't wait to get those!
I have another friend with a spare playfield in better shape, so I may just restore his and then swap. He only want it for a custom re-them project anyway... so may as well sand down the one that's worse off
One question for you guys. Do all the drop targets have the same color "S" on them? This game seems to have black "S" on the 4 bank and gold on the 3 bank.

Congrats on the pickup Drano! My drops are yellow (gold) on the 3 bank and green on the 4 bank. Be sure to post your progress.

#110 7 years ago

Bothers me too and it wasn't even mine.

1 week later
#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Sanding it down to bare wood and giving it back to my buddy for his re-theme project

Let me guess............Lazerlord?

2 weeks later
#140 7 years ago

That's awesome Drano! I like how someone added an extra penis in the bonus area too.

1 month later
#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Anybody else put LEDs in Quicksilver? I added the Rotterdog lamp driver board and linked the board to a control lamp in the backbox. I still get a crap ton of flicker on all the controlled lamps. Really sucks. Any suggestions?

Hans' adapters work like a charm.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

1 week later
#166 7 years ago

Looks good with the green Drano.

3 weeks later
#199 7 years ago

Working on yellow displays for my QS. Reflection on playfield glass shows what it really looks like.

qs_yellow_display (resized).jpgqs_yellow_display (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#221 7 years ago

Goodbye Quicksilver....

1 week later
#240 7 years ago

You shouldn't see voltage on J2 for the flipper buttons. Voltage is supplied to the coil, the flipper buttons complete the path to ground. Check the square plug that connects the coin door harness inside the front of the cabinet and make sure you have continuity from the coin door switches all the way to the MPU.

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

I have used a arpon from a Hot Hand on mine , because it was green! and it looks better than the original brown .

There were two aprons used on Quicksilver. The Hot Hand apron was one of them, which is what came with mine.

#247 7 years ago

Let's play!

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Yeah.......those out lane posts need to come out lol

No doubt, pretty ridiculous. Let's just say that was the longest ball I've ever had. Thought it was cool to hear the background sound increase in speed after you collect all of the letters. Most of my games range 500K-1.2M.

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Do you use a specific type of LED so there is no bizarre lighting issues?

I have Comet 1-LED retros everywhere except the spinners. You either need to use an Alltek lamp driver, Hans' LED adapters or solder resistors on every socket. I'm using Hans' adapters.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

You gotta love finding these little things inside your cab that make you laugh

Yeah I think mine had a Seawitch tag on the backrack harness.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I've never seen the upper lane lamps strobe like that during a game, are you using a special "home rom" or have I just not been paying attention while watching other QS videos? What's the purpose of the strobing?

It's factory and it's meant to draw attention to the extra ball lane. And it adds a nice effect on the bonus collect when you have max bonus.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

When hi score alternates with the last game played the high score is 0 0 0 on all displays.

Step through the settings and clear each register one by one. The software doesn't know what to do when it finds 'unexpected' data in the registers.

6 months later
#305 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I see you have a Lazer Lord in your WL. Isn't there only one of those in existence? I remember sitting by and watching that eBay auction and being like, who would pay that kind of money for an old Stern...gosh, if only there was a time machine. Who ended up with that Lazer Lord?

Yes, only one. And the supposed owner of said game lives.....oh right here in Lincoln! I say supposed because I have not seen it, only talk.

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

-HSA was not interested in doing an early SS stern Pf

Quoted from brenna98:

Huh? I've seen a Seawitch they have done....
Is it mostly bare wood or what? I'm guessing it's bad if they're turning you down..

How long ago did you ask them. A couple of years ago they told me no also. Now they are doing them.

#323 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man, try and get some pics. It hasn't been seen since the auction ended.

I wish I could!

Quoted from DRDAVE:

If anyone know the owner of the LL, have them put up a youtube video of it demonstrating the play of the game.

Wish I could do that too. I'm pretty sure the rules are 100% the same, but I'd love to know if anything is different, like the sounds.

#325 6 years ago

Ok, I never noticed the set was dumped on IPDB. I just thought it was unavailable and never looked. I guess I'll be burning a set and trying them out.

#327 6 years ago

Yes, I'll give it a try.

#353 6 years ago

That'd be good for Seawitch!

Could use this...

hmcover (resized).jpghmcover (resized).jpg

1 week later
#361 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Unfortunately, it seems nothing will happen when trying LL roms on QS:

I remember hearing that you couldn't just pop in the ROMs and play it, but I thought the exercise was fun just to see what the sounds were like. I've posted a couple of videos on youtube.

Attract mode

Gameplay

I burned Lazerlord ROMs and put them in a MPU-200 for these videos. I also tried setting an Alltek to Lazerlord and had identical results. I didn't compare the ROMs to see if they are identical, but I would assume there is only one archive available (and maybe only one version ever created) so I imagine the Alltek is running the same software. So those of you with Allteks can try this on your own machines.

You can see the gameplay is just a big mess, even though the attract mode could pass for being correct. The sounds are pretty cool though and I'd really like to see Lazerlord in action.

3 weeks later
#368 6 years ago

Saw the teaser pics in his Facebook post. Anxious to see more. Be sure to post a video too.

#377 6 years ago

He has my Cyclopes playfield now and I'm anxious to see it when he's done. I like that he kept true to the art and put one of the signature features of the playfield on the front of the cabinet.

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

My wife plays QS more than any other pin in my collection, so that means mine is staying FOREVER

Smart wife

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My mother in law even enjoyed it.

I hope you have a good relationship with your mother-in-law because now she may never leave.

2 months later
#434 6 years ago

I'm in for a set.

#451 6 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't do it as it would take away from the value of the game. Not too much though because, hey, who's gonna turn down a Quicksilver just because it has jewelled inserts???

Anyway, that's just my opinion, but if it really makes you happy, do it. It's your game, you get to call the shots.

1 week later
#478 6 years ago

It's gonna be nice! Where did you get the inserts? Oh, and the knot just adds character.

#495 6 years ago

I'd probably buy 2 playfields.

3 weeks later
#561 6 years ago

Nice.....thanks for posting the paint colors and tips.

1 week later
#564 6 years ago

Expo booth

IMG_9595 (resized).JPGIMG_9595 (resized).JPG

IMG_9596 (resized).JPGIMG_9596 (resized).JPG

#567 6 years ago

Don't worry, brenna98 will be reproducing aprons if you want to wait.

3 weeks later
#634 6 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

All polished up

It's a grin-maker.

#647 6 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Are you sure those will work? The volts are different

Yes they will work perfectly.

1 week later
#661 6 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

QS is already so hard. It's going to SUCK playing this game until the clearcoat settles down a bit.

Actually, it's MORE fun to play. I love it when I put fresh wax on mine. So fast it's ridiculous.

3 weeks later
#678 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Not enough interest for CPR to consider the boutique runs...

CPR requested a Star Gazer playfield to scan and the last newsletter I saw showed art for Seawitch. With John doing both of those I think the demand for them would be less than QS.

Also, they're still gauging interest in a boutique run for Meteor. Although I'm interested in one, I think more QS playfields would sell due to the value of the game.

9 months later
#752 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

So, when given the choice of Seawitch, Berzerk, Frenzy and Flight 2000, Colossus plays Quicksilver!!!!

Me too, every time!

#766 5 years ago

I wanted Cliffy to make some inserts for the prop rod hole, but it never happened. I guess it would be a good use for some old tokens I have laying around.

#769 5 years ago

The manual I have, which I'm pretty sure is an original, lists the transformer as a 16B-6 in three places throughout.

#787 5 years ago

It was artist Doug Watson’s “signature”. He was working for Gottlieb or somebody at the time and didn’t want them to know he was working on a side project.

If you google it you can probably find the full story. It’s pretty good.

10 months later
#881 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I've discussed with George about doing a short segment to revisit the sounds in Quicksilver with a hard mic. as I want everyone to hear the sounds of this game as they should be heard. (as well as getting sounds on the next Classic Stern title we will be discussing)
Stay tuned.

“As they should be heard” is the key phrase here. Nothing on the internet (my videos included) accurately capture the sounds on this game. I hope you guys can pull it off because so many people don’t know how good the sounds are.

I’ve enjoyed your podcasts so far and am looking forward to future episodes.

2 weeks later
#896 4 years ago

First, reflow the header pins. If that doesn't fix it, replace the decoder chip.

#898 4 years ago

It’s the only chip on the display board.

3 weeks later
#913 4 years ago
Quoted from johnboy1313:

Hi everyone. I picked up a non-working Quicksilver a couple weeks ago and got it going rather quickly. I seem to have taken several steps backwards after changing the header pins on the MPU and lamp board. I was checking the self-test feature by pushing the button furthest out, away from the coin door and then pressed the second button closest to the coin door. The machine started humming and I lost more feature lights along with the credit display. What is that second button? What do you think happened there?
I have replaced some of the crimp connectors with little to no improvement.

The button closest to the coin door is the MEM CLEAR button for clearing the individual registers during self-test adjustments. For whatever reason some games don't like having the first register cleared. I'm my experience the game makes an odd sound, then reboots, but works normally after that.

If you have 5101 CMOS RAM in U8 and U13, try removing and reinserting them. If you're using NVRAM, use a different module if you have a spare.

#920 4 years ago

Restore it for sure. You want that playfield clearcoated so the game can truly live up to its name!

2 weeks later
#927 4 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Hey folks, I need a picture of the plug that comes off of A3J2 from the head harness to the solenoids. Should be a Mate-n-Lok 6 or 9 hole plug with 5 wires. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Shawn

I’ll get it for you tomorrow if someone else doesn’t send it before then.

Sorry, I haven’t forgotten about you, it’s been a busy week.

1 month later
#936 4 years ago

Had a chance to see a Mirco QS playfield up close and personal at Expo. They are beautiful. The insert tooling is very visible when backlit. May bother some people, especially if on the fence between restoring the original playfield or buying one of these.

A709D68B-BE67-4330-AE4C-D23EBF405073 (resized).jpegA709D68B-BE67-4330-AE4C-D23EBF405073 (resized).jpegABFCE38A-1C8C-4C8B-8643-BA62B04C32C1 (resized).jpegABFCE38A-1C8C-4C8B-8643-BA62B04C32C1 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#973 4 years ago

Me too.

1 month later
#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Could someone post some close up pics of the saucer eject plastics? Is it the same one as the Gottlieb's of that era (2 piece design)?

They are different. I am using a translucent yellow Gottlieb in mine. I would suggest if you decide to use a Gottlieb that you use the entire mech and source an appropriate value coil. The Stern mech with Gottlieb plastic causes the ball to jump higher out of the saucer. On mine, the ball lands on the nearest insert and has cracked it.

1 month later
#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have you been having to deal with the fires? Or were you just out getting blasted and laid
One of my Aussie contacts in NSW had the fire run up to the end of his block. He is OK, but what a tragedy you all having to deal with.

Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

A little from each category Cotton
I had 2 weeks booked in Bright, an area which was surrounded by one of the biggest fronts. We go there religiously for the fantastic Downhill MTBing, beautiful scenery, river and brewery but the town was essentially shut down by Emergency Services. A lot of the areas are reasonably remote, with one road in/out so the risk is too high, especially with family en tow. Add to that the smoke was next level crazy.
So the fires have been burning for months now with little reprieve wiping out over half a billion animals and unfathomable areas of forest, then yesterday monster storms flooded large parts of the burnt out areas filling the rivers with ash killing 1000’s upon 1000’s of fish. Hail larger than golf balls pounded further to the north, temperature and drought records are broken almost weekly... and today a perfect 27degC blue sky day. Anyone who doesn’t believe in climate change, visit Australia!!

Where’s the part about getting laid?

1 month later
#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

Has anyone received a Quicksilver playfield from Mirco lately? I was wondering if they fixed the soft clearcoat. I also heard some playfields were missing key lines for the star rollover inserts.

Wow I hadn’t noticed that before. Far less obvious to me than the tooling marks in the translucent inserts.

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

2) The blue color in the 2000 point arrows looks rather pale. The are blue but look a little faded. However, that can easily be corrected with color matching LEDs in the feature lamps.

Use Comet ice blue bulbs in the blue inserts, really makes them pop.

2 weeks later
#1087 4 years ago

Has anyone put together an itemised kit/list of LEDs that they'd like to share? Also, I've read the flicker eliminator kits don't completely allow the use of LEDs, what do you use to allow LEDs?

The flicker eliminator kit worked great in mine. Any problems I've had have always been with SCRs.

I don't have an itemised LED list, but I used clear Comet retro under most inserts (the old single LED style, not SMD) because I like the look of them under the translucent inserts.

I think the lane guides have clear 1 SMD.

I used 2 SMD frosted sunlights in the pop bumpers.

I put two blue flex LEDs under each spinner arrow and clear blue LEDs in the flipper return lanes which I'm going to change to ice blue.

I had to use a pink LED under the 5X insert in the bonus area because the insert had faded almost to white.

And I put two pink LEDs behind the Stern logo in the backbox.

All GI is incandescent with 44s in the playfield and 47s in the backbox.
87DFC776-11F0-4E4D-AB80-D7444F3F77F5 (resized).jpeg87DFC776-11F0-4E4D-AB80-D7444F3F77F5 (resized).jpeg

#1089 4 years ago

That’s a beautiful looking Quicksilver Dothedo! New playfield? Appreciate your LED tips and glad to hear you had success with the eliminator kit. Thanks.

Thanks! It's an original playfield that was restored by @classic_stern. We were lucky to find one that didn't have too much wear. It has a few issues that developed over time, and one that's visible, even in this image, that we decided not to fix at the time.

I want to redo it and fix all of its issues, but it plays so well and I can't give it up. So I need to build another one that plays as well or better before I tear this one down.

#1100 4 years ago

One more q, did you try LEDs in the GI? I'm using incandescents in the GI of my Funhouse and prefer it that way, all my others are LED.

I didn't try LEDs in the GI. I prefer the look of incandescents in QS. I had incandescents in my Funhouse too and never felt the need to change them to LEDs.

#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here’s the cabinet flipper switch from pinball life for comparison. (The sw-10a-48 switch)
It’s a little thicker, so I’ll remove slime spacers if needed.[quoted image]

I just take the new switch stack apart and use the new blades in the original stack.

1 week later
#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

3 spinner questions:
1. How far away should the bottom of the spinner be from the playfield? Mine is 3/4” but want to make sure that is correct.

You’re spinner posts are correct. You want the tall ones.

6 months later
#1253 3 years ago

Ok thanks... I'm sure they're not at hens teeth level yet, but the 16B-6 doesn't appear to be super common. Can anyone recommend a supplier that may be willing to ship OS?

Check with Big Daddy. He’s probably the only source for one.

https://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#1267 3 years ago

Just be sure to fuse the flippers if you do this. They are fused by F4 on the rectifier board, which is eliminated with this mod.

5 months later
#1402 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I noticed that I'm missing the bonus light show and sounds before and after my bonus count after I drain when earning all the Quicksilver letters.

Dumb question, but do you have 5x multiplier when you drain?

1 month later
#1443 2 years ago

Don’t forget a strip of foil for the lane guides. They are controlled lamps, not GI.

2 months later
#1582 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

HoakyPoaky I missed your stream but what’s your verdict on the swinks pop rings?

I sent Swinks the NOS parts to model the repros from and he sent me one set to test. I've had it installed in my Star Gazer for several months in the pop that gets hammered the most and it's been holding up great. I plan to use them in all the pops when I restore the game. I highly recommend them if you have missing/broken parts or just want to color coordinate your game.

3 months later
#1618 2 years ago

I thought the purpose of the star rollover was to clear the shoot again light so you could score extra ball again if the ball goes down the blinking lane.

Example: Light extra ball on ball one and drain without collecting it. Collect extra ball on ball two and spell QUICK to put another extra ball "on-hold" for next ball. Plunge your extra ball, the star rollover clears the shoot again light and enables the QUICK lanes/target for another extra ball.

1 year later
#1756 1 year ago
Quoted from SMP14:

Well, I've joined the club. Started with a Stern Magic, now we are here. Got the foundation set up and now its time to wire up the inserts, and then put all switches/mechs in place!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Edits As I'm looking through the pictures on this thread, I have made a mistake putting lights (similar to seawitch) where the drop 4 bank drop targets are. Those should be leaf switches.

I used to have that exact tile on my basement floor.

#1757 1 year ago
Quoted from SMP14:

Well, I've joined the club. Started with a Stern Magic, now we are here. Got the foundation set up and now its time to wire up the inserts, and then put all switches/mechs in place!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Edits As I'm looking through the pictures on this thread, I have made a mistake putting lights (similar to seawitch) where the drop 4 bank drop targets are. Those should be leaf switches.

And don't forget, the top lane guide lamps are controlled, not GI.

4 months later
#1779 9 months ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

My cab is done, I can't wait to play.

You don’t play the cab, silly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.