20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classic_stern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

Some detail. The above playfield is cleared with PPG3000, .25% flexor and is meticulously prepped with ME / Simple green. Also the inserts were removed and 2 part epoxy used. Also prep paints are House of Kolor with the Green mixed and dried before final mixture finalized. The Green was done starting with a color machine and then fine tuned after with current environment and 3k clear to match perfectly. The white is lettering enamel HOK. It was sprayed with a cheap sprayer and plastic screen enclosure in a pretty hot environment. Air flow controlled with fan under field. Not a bunch of coats either. It is not a "Glazed donut". 2 coats. no sanding in between and at all.

#20 8 years ago

think so

IMG_3387_(resized).JPGIMG_3387_(resized).JPG

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Why is it that most every QS pin that i have come across
has significant PF wear (flaming) around the bonus inserts,
if not totally blown out.
see below for what i typically find (not mine)
SDC10484_(resized).JPG
Hard to find one even in semi decent condition.
My QS pin's PF is just above tolerable in the wear dept.
My BG had loads of bubbling and sheets flaking off, fortunately found a NOS BG from John Jukes.
And the CAB and head has water damage ( the head surround appears to be fiber board).
Since this game is hard to find in any condition, I did buy it when i would have otherwise passed on it due to its condition.
I actually paid more for the NOS BG than I did for the actual game.

When this game came out in 1980 I was there. and trust me the players went crazy....Between this game and all of the Classic Stern's we were in Heaven. A pinball mfg. finally understood what the "Player" wanted. It truly was an amazing time for CS games. That is why Quicksilvers are worn because they not only played fast with tons of ball spin, they got played alot. The one I played all the time took a beating during the early years.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If it was/is so good (not knocking it---I want one,too) why are the production numbers so low?
Quicksilver: 1201 produced
Seawitch : 2503
Iron Maiden: 1100
Catacomb : 3943
Big Game : 2713
If the players went crazy, why such low sales figures? Were they too good (i.e. not Drain-o-Matics) and the operators could not make any money with them? Or did Stern have a sales force problem or factory production problems?
I have a Big Game and a Bally Playboy. Big Game is head over heels better than Playboy but Bally sold 18,250 Playboys.
Why the low numbers? Thoughts.

It was a brand issue. You have to realize Stern was the old Chicago coin and they did not produce many good games. And Stern was cash strapped but when they hit their stride in 1979 you have to realize Bally had amazing titles by then and Gottlieb was also just coming off of killing it. Remember Stern's sweet spot was 1979 and 1980. Before that they had a few titles that made serious cash like Stingray; Stars but overall the Brand wasn't there and then "poof" it was gone. I worked in the arcades in the late 70's and early 80's and when the classic Stern's hit the players went crazy; but it was just to late. Especially Stars, Meteor....Big Game...and remember they were so behind they had to copy the Bally boards from I think a set from Power Play ? Something like that. a -17. Can't remember the game Gary said was delivered to the doc. But as folk lore has it the board set was stolen which is not the case. It was a gentlemens agreement between Sam Stern and the leadership at Bally. They dropped off a -17 game to copy when Sam bought Chicago Coin.

But yes the players went crazy!!.....The 1980 stern's are a very special year. Finally the sweetest drop target on the planet with amazing snappy flippers and those crazy plastic pop bumper rings and translucent lighting....Oh the days...

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Snappy flippers: Check. I rebuilt mine. That, along with steep pitch, I get get air balls. I get glass balls. I get balls jumping over the sling shots. I get balls jumping over the upper play field plastics. It's a gas.
Educate me: What are the, " crazy plastic pop bumper rings and translucent lighting" of which you speak?

The popbumper rings are plastic and super snappy...Beyond anything a metal pop bumper can do and the oh so smooth sound.....Translucent lighting is easy. Think about 1980.....They made it go fast like the bonus on Quicksilver (Green), the rip tide on Seawitch (Blue)....The blue on Flight 2K or the mesmorizing count down and translucent blues on Stargazer.... We just sat there in AWE.....Williams used Red and Orange and more of a bonus ladder which was stagnant and bright to the eyes. Yup an equivalent would be Xenon....but again did not move with the flow of the game. Classic stern had figured it out. Lights that moved as you kicked the games ass and rolled with flow.....Only mfg. to do that. and I forgot 1 other thing.........................

The spinner and spinner switch. Super light and super springy....Fastest spinners EVER!!!!!...... Nothing compares. Again they had it figured out...

#58 8 years ago

For folks wanting to buy classic sterns. They SUCK.....They break all the time, sound boards suck, they are thrashed and no parts are avalible.... Also they don't hold up in value and they just suck. CLASSIC STERN JUNK....I promise.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is what I am finding out. I'm rather new to this stuff. My journey started when I built a visual pinball about 3 years ago. One thing led to another and I wound up buying a decrepit Bally Playboy. And the quest to find another pin was based on the different visual pinball tables I played and You Tube videos I watched. That led me to actively search for my Big Game. And that led to learning about these other Stern tables. Forget Joker Poker, Forget Mata Hari and others I once lusted after.
I have one more Stern that will be in my possession in about two weeks and I will say no more until I have it pried from the seller's cold, live, hands and home safe.
After that, after I push, pull, and squeeze, I will be able to make room for 3 more pins in my house. They all will be Sterns of this era.
It is for sure all about supply vs. demand and I feel like I am late in arriving to the party.

I misquoted. They suck....Sorry for misleading you....

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

While Bally may have had an gentleman's agreement with Stern on the boards,
I heard they played hardball with the distributors, and if they carried Stern pins,
they would not get access to or good deals with Bally pins.

Probably that too....

#66 8 years ago

Using the 7 year rule of 1/2 of the games exist every 7 years ... that puts you around 35-40. i would say that is right.

35-40. I know of about 7.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Good to know there's one game where I can beat him.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Good to know there's one game where I can beat him.

Yea, In this case his strategy needs alot of work. That is NOT how you play Quicksilver....Actually quite the opposite.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Talk to me about Simple Green, please. I looked at SG at Walmart; It was a pale green and the main ingredient is water. I went to Lowes and the SG they were selling was darker green and more concentrated, but still the main ingredient is water.
Is there some place you can buy SG that is not diluted? The water part scares me.

Simple green is way better then Alcohol and other materials. You use a few drops per square you cut of ME. Such a small amount and you don't put it on the playfield. You put it in the ME. It is so much better then anything else. Been using for years and very , very happy.

Here you go. Before and after...I have probably 100 fields like this I can show ME with SG.

100_2201_(resized).JPG100_2201_(resized).JPG

DSCF8982_(resized).JPGDSCF8982_(resized).JPG

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Very helpful! I met you at TPF briefly a few years ago, I'm going to be hunting you down this year for some pointers for sure.

Find me. Will be in the Top Hat....

I am out of simple green and working on a playfield with Alcohol now. I just don't understand how people cannot see how SG is so much better. I just stopped. Alcohol SUCKS!!!!.....Not even a close comparison. Alcohol is like sanding. SG is like pulling dirt.

2 months later
#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Sweet!
TIGHE also had a copy of that issue that he gave me with the machine a couple of weeks ago.
I'll probably frame it and hang it somewhere in the gameroom... maybe next to my Banzai Run flyer signed by Pat Lawlor
I also scored this playfield from a friend. It needs work but still way better than my original. I'll be able to restore this one and do a much easier swap. I also met with Steve from BGresto at the VFW showcase and saw his beautiful repro glass on Clay's QS. I've ordered one.

easily restorable. That is in pretty good shape. Doing 2 right now. 1 worse 1 about the same.

3 months later
#186 7 years ago

I just finished a QS restoration. Need to get pictures up!!!

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

QS did seem to ship from factory with two different aprons. one with a black base colour and another with green. Don't think any of them had red. Who knows why they did this? Maybe to differentiate regional models or they simply ran out of one type and started using another?
This seems to be common with some classic Stern.
On some Star Gazers there were dark blue aprons and those games seem to have come with yellow spinners and stand-up targets.
Other SG had the lighter blue apron and those appear to have shipped with white spinners and targets.

Yea, Quicksilver had Black with Green and Green with Light Green. Stargazer had Light Blue and Yelloe or Blue with Yellow. I like Quicksilver with Light Green on Green and Stargazer with Yellow on Blue.

Hot hand apron the same for QS and you could potentially use a Seawitch apron on Stargazer. Uhmmm....If you had too.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Right, but don't take those pictures as gospel.
There are also IPDB pics of Williams flipper bats in Classic Bally games, so whatever somebody submits, can get published, even if not stock.

The red on black is a no show. Nadda , Zippo, Disgusting.

#193 7 years ago

OK....I will commit to this weekend...Here is the pre pics of field. Very, Very rough

Field_Before_Starting_Teardown (resized).jpgField_Before_Starting_Teardown (resized).jpg

20160402_094502 (resized).jpg20160402_094502 (resized).jpg

20160402_085510 (resized).jpg20160402_085510 (resized).jpg

20160402_085502 (resized).jpg20160402_085502 (resized).jpg

#194 7 years ago

Finished product...

20160903_144839 (resized).jpg20160903_144839 (resized).jpg

20160903_144842 (resized).jpg20160903_144842 (resized).jpg

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Very nice!!! Did you restore the cabinet as well?

Did the usual but no repaint. No need... Out of time and the cabinet did not need everything done. Redid the head and rebuilt the entire harness, light board, new boards, etc. Paper work, stern leg bolts and legs etc. same thing I do to most of my games if the cabinet is not completely thrashed. I probably only have 12-15 games with repainted cabinets. Mostly Classic Bally.

20160820_122515 (resized).jpg20160820_122515 (resized).jpg

#197 7 years ago

Like in this case these 5 of 6 cabinets were repainted and I do have to do Mystic at some point. Bally lowers are typically more thrashed then CS cabs. Upper on this Quicksilver was rotted so I redid it.

20150807_193414 (resized).jpg20150807_193414 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#212 7 years ago

Its on its way to the new proud owner...She is going to LOVE IT!!!

20160919_170028 (resized).jpg20160919_170028 (resized).jpg

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I can't beleive people still ship pinball with the head on...

Actually this is the only way given the situation that I will not get into. I wouldn't do it this way but I will say I just saw a buddy have his Centaur destroyed when he shipped on legs with the head down. they crushed the backbox and then pushed down the glass on the field and pushed the field down into the cabinet. Shipping with the head down without legs is dangerous. I think when they see the glass and top with all of the warnings I put on it. It will be OK. I either ship with the head on the game and up or entire thing broken into a crate. There is no other way.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I can't beleive people still ship pinball with the head on...

By the way with the head folded down they stack crap on it. This way with the glass showing they don't. I also make it so the cardboard is erratic so you can put something on it. well see but I have faith!!

#220 7 years ago

It says specifically everywhere **HIGH PROFILE CLIENT** All extra steps / Handle with extreme care.

Won't get into the contract details other then that. Its alone in space from here. It will be fine.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Whenever I've shipped a machine it's standing upright (coin door to the air) well wrapped and strapped to a pallet.
I don't imagine too many shippers are going to place freight on top of a roughly 20"x20" surface; especially since the shooter rod makes it pretty uneven.

They do. I had a Catacomb where the front got smashed cause they stacked on top of it and the coin door was 6 inches into the game. As said its always dangerous to ship. You just never know.

1 week later
#228 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Would anyone in the club be interested in a playfield protector for their game? I contacted Playfield Protectors ( Pinside member " protectors") in Germany but they said it was not on their radar.
Perhaps if another Quicksilver owner or two contacted them requesting it, they would produce them. My playfield has its share of sunken inserts and a full restore is not doable anytime in the near future, so slapping a protector on there would make it playable right away. If anyone is interested, please drop Playfield Protectors a request to make it happen.

Can't you just reglue and level. You have to anyhow. What is your protector going to do ? I am confused. Too me its not obvious what you are saying.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

What cottonm4 said.

OK. I would do a quick push out of the insert and use wood glue to level. Then clean up, wax and play. If really bad then maybe this makes sense. Pictures are worth its weight in gold!!!

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Her are some pics of my Seawitch that I made a protector for. The center run of yellow inserts are to the wood. Some other inserts have quite a bit of wear, as well.
this first pic is of the bare play field.

This pic shows the yellow inserts but now the play field is covered with the protector ( I apologize. This could be a better pic).

This pic shows the left sling shot with lots of wear around the "shoot again" light. If you look carefully you can see the layer of Lexan bordering around the sling posts. You can also see the open area where I had to make a profile cut to match the inlane guide to allow for installation. I got in a hurry cutting the protector for Seawitch and made lots of sloppy cuts.
This protector is temporary. Once John Greatwich gets the Seawitch play fields into production this Witch will get a new play field. In the mean time, I have a game that plays smooth and fast. It is a gas to play and when I"m playing I don't notice my sloppy cuts.

Here is a pic of my Big Game without the protector. There is heavy wear around the "X" and "Z" bingo card lights. My bingo cards were in pretty good shape and I wanted to keep them that way so I made a protector.

This is the protector before any play action. This is another game that plays fast. Well, it did. I'm restoring it and the play field is out to Keith Holbrook in Grapevine for clean up and clear coat. I've been busy restoring the cabinet all the way. I have not decided yet if I will reinstall the protector for the restored play field at this time.

I've got a Nine Ball with a real nice play field but the tremendous amount of inserts are cupped badly. I don't play it much because I don't want a nice play field turned to crap due cupped inserts. Now that I have my Big Game work out of the way for awhile, I will be making a protector for this pin until I have time to schedule it for a restore.
I have another classic Stern coming in in a couple of weeks. Supposedly, the play field and inserts are in good condition; We'll see. But it does not matter the condition of the play field. It is is nice, I will make a protector for it to keep the play field nice until I can clear coat it. If it is crappy, I will make a protector so I can enjoy the game until I can budget it in for clear coat.
Quicksilver has a lot of inserts and if they are crapped out, making a protector, or buying one--if possible, will make it a fun game to play until the owner can get it budgeted in. Same with Catacomb with all those inserts.

You can just clean up with magic eraser, use Novus 2 and then high speed polish wax and play these games. Nothing else you need to do. repeat every 2 to 3 months with just wax. You could play them like that forever without any wear as long as you wax them. I don't get the protector? Is it a top coat of plastic. It must play strange then.? I am still confused. Sorry. The Big Game is in pretty nice shape and will make a great piece when completed. Love that game.

2 years later
#794 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Can someone tell me please where can I source the blue triangle lights on the play field?
Both of mine are shrunken and warped. They are fixable, but I sure would like some new ones.
Thanks.
[quoted image]
As I continue to prep this play field to send to the restorer I just see so much hard play action this play field had to endure through the years. Look at the wear where the posts were mounted. Those posts got loose and the game kept getting played. And played. And there are these wide rings of bare wood where paint used to be.
There are oversized holes all over that I am plugging up and sanding smooth. There are extra holes that someone thought they needed to drill and add some wood screws.
Obviously, this pin was well played and all of you who have played QS say it is a blast. I am looking forward to when I can get it back together and enjoy it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Those inserts are fine. You can flange them out with a heat gun and build up around the insert. The wood has shunk up and you need to reuse the original insert. Make it flat using a piece of glass and heat gun and flange the lower part slightly so it fits tight. Then use epoxy, build around it and then clear the field. Not a problem. I do this on all of the triangle inserts on fields. Works great.

#795 5 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm with you.
I've been wanting to get new white strips for a long time. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I can find some locally.
I also notice that my BGresto glasses are thicker than original and even trying to move the old ones over to the new glass caused them to split.

The white strips if they are not torn can be re-used. You sand them with 1500 grit and take the yellow off of them and then polish to high shine. I think its probably time I bring back my classic stern restoration talk at TPF this year.

1 year later
#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which pin are you trying to outfit. Stern used a couple of different coils depending on which pin.

I would use what you stated. J-25-475/34-4500 You can use a 450 J-25-450/34-4500 also which is more power but on QS I like to use 475. Longer shots and you need power for the spinner action!!!

5 months later
#1166 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Quicksilver resto finally done.
Cab completely redone. Semi matte finish
New Mirco playfield with extra clearcoat added
New plastics
Titan rubbers
All mechs rebuilt
All boards serviced
Legs and coin door powdercoated
All hardware tumbled polished or replaced
All wiring cleaned/replaced
Back glass is good but may replace
Still tweaking but plays pretty good already. Need to get some more ripping from the spinners. Any tips?

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So for spinners you need to do a few items. Definitely make sure the switch as Cotton said is balanced and resting the spinner in a down position and barely not touch. No bends or issues. Tighten up the holding screw before any of this so the tension is tight to the playfield.

But before all of this. Take your spinner bracket and debur the holes where the spinner rests. Make sure they are absolute perfectly smooth on the outside and inside edges. Then take you spinners and sand the edges that float on the bracket. Make sure you high polish that surface to a fine shine. This is the spinner arms on both sides. Then use silicone lubricant on the parts BEFORE you install back on the field. The lubricant with solvents. You don't want to spray on or around the playfield. This stuff removes paint and melts plastics.

Put back together, make sure it's balance and then make sure the switch is perfectly parallel to the field when the spinner is in the resting position.

Thats all I got. I can get 200 plus spins on the left spinner on Quicksilver and Stargazer doing these small attention to detail items. My Galaxy I just sold has a super ripper too.

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Awesome advice, thank you!! 200?? You mean 20 right?

I mean 200 spins. Over 100 consistently for the first few days after these tweeks.

#1171 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Glad to hear this. I have been getting 100 spins on Big Game inner spinner. But I don’t have camera on to prove it.
200 is phenomenal ! A goal to strive for.

Yea, That one is weird. Sometimes you can just whack the crap out of it; but other times it's just 1/2 arse. But yup BG can get a rip it and 100 with that spinner means your doing the right things!

2 weeks later
#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

could be environment also would be good to understand from highclasspinball more about the colour differences. I got a quicksilver playfield from mirco and it looks great in my view. (also got meteor from CPR and that looks great too).
To be honest though, the playfield I want is nine ball. Its simple the best stern on the planet. Mine is ok at the moment but I'd love a mint one. (oh and an Ali playfield I wouldn't say no to also!).

Yup. Ali and Nineball. 2 of the greatest!!!

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Christopher at pinball replacement parts make some 555 lamp boards for Big Game, Catacomb, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Meteor, and Nine Ball. I have them in my Big Game, Catacomb and Nine Ball. They work great.
How many would be interested is getting a 555 lamp board for the Quicksilvers you are restoring or the Quicksilvers you are building. Obviously, I would like one of these for my QS build. There is safety in numbers.
Anybody interested?
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=3
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=4
[quoted image]

I would be in for Quicksilver, DragonFist, Nineball, Stargazer. Thank you so much!!

3 weeks later
#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

Some of you may have seen my classified ad for the Star Gazer insert board.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/96675
I have been asked to reproduce the Quicksilver insert board. This is a huge time saver if you are trying to convert another Stern title, or scratch build. If I can get at least four committed buyers for the insert board, I will reproduce Quicksilver as well. Feel free to PM me directly if you have interest. If you have tried to make one from scratch you can attest to the work needed to cut these out. Made from 3/4" MDF board painted white exactly as original. This is the wood with cutouts for displays and lamp sockets.

I would be interested but the price is of utmost importance. Can you do it for less then 100?

2 months later
#1287 3 years ago

I am in need of a harness set for Quicksilver. Am I too late ?

#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

Oh..... did you get a fourth Quicksilver? My friend Andrew R. told me the game was junk!

I buy wire to recycle. Since I look for wire , I buy wire. It's a copper fetish.

#1303 3 years ago

I have been through reverse connectors is if the game is ever sold and these are pulled it can create pretty big problems. Just make sure it is labeled and with something permanent. I have destroyed a Meteor and Quicksilver power supply over the long connector on the power supplies being put on backwards / reversed. So please everyone just label the connectors once you do this. Not a big deal until the game changes hands and something is not labeled. So permanent marker everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 10.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classic_stern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome?tu=classic_stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.