20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.
#1701 1 year ago

Sorry to see @cottonm4, it's so heartbreaking

F U Mirco!

#1702 1 year ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Sorry to see cottonm4, it's so heartbreaking
F U Mirco!

I advised on my Quicksilver build thread that Mirco has come thru and has sent me a replacement play field. I am in process of transferring parts over to the replacement play field.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-build-is-proceeding-along/page/3#post-6992564

#1703 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What do you mean by "possible scam"?
Let me see if I If understand you correctly. You are saying that this Quicksilver that is currently for sale in the marketplace ( there is only one for sale, currently) is actually the same Quicksilver that is in your house? Is this what you are saying?
Let's break this down. You are here for 7 years and have bought nothing and sold nothing.
[quoted image]
This is the ad for the Quicksilver that is for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/137735
The guy who has it for sale has been on Pinside for 5 years, has placed almost 300 for sale ads in that 5 years, and has sold 132 items. He has a Red heart next to his name showing that he is a contributing member to Pinside. And he has 100% positive feedback. Maybe someone has stole his account, as you say. Or maybe not.
[quoted image]
What say you show us some pictures on the Quicksilver you bought so we can make a comparison for ourselves? Show us a picture of this coin door and that shooter rod. Like this one the seller put up.
[quoted image]
Also, if you have the same Quicksilver, you should also have the little build sticker that Chrispin added to the inside of the cab that ID's Chrispin as the builder.
[quoted image]
Here is Crispin's last QS he built and sold.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/126763
And another QS that Crispin built and sold in 2019.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/88847
The problem is this: I know Chrispin built and sold 2 Quicksilvers. The Quicksilver in this current ad looks different than the other two. The unit that is for sale has all new boards. Maybe Crispin built a 3rd Quicksilver? I don't know.
Some pictures of yours might help clear things up.
Thank you.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked in on your build in a while Craig, nice work! Glad to see Mirco made good on another defective playfield. I wish you smooth sailing for the remainder of the journey! The game currently being sold by Joe is my 2nd restoration that was originally sold to my friend Pete who put those cool coin door inserts in. Cool to see the game moving around the states, good luck with the sale Joe!

#1704 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I advised on my Quicksilver build thread that Mirco has come thru and has sent me a replacement play field. I am in process of transferring parts over to the replacement play field.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-build-is-proceeding-along/page/3#post-6992564

Wow really??! I had similar issues with mine, Mirco essentially told me to F off.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend re-clearing the playfield. Mine has been perfect since having a pro clear it properly.

#1705 1 year ago

Wow really??! I had similar issues with mine, Mirco essentially told me to F off.
If you have the time and inclination, I'd recommend re-clearing the playfield. Mine has been perfect since having a pro clear it properly.

So did you repair your Original after your Micro had problems

Or you got another Mirco and had it re cleared and have no issues now

#1706 1 year ago
Quoted from Dicky:

So did you repair your Original after your Micro had problems
Or you got another Mirco and had it re cleared and have no issues now

I sold my original playfield once I acquired a Mirco QS. Mirco refused to acknowledge any issue so I repaired my Mirco. My clearcoat guy was hesitant to touch it given the clearcoat process Mirco uses, but it turned out well. Nice and hard, unlike Mirco's.

#1707 1 year ago

I sold my original playfield once I acquired a Mirco QS. Mirco refused to acknowledge any issue so I repaired my Mirco. My clearcoat guy was hesitant to touch it given the clearcoat process Mirco uses, but it turned out well. Nice and hard, unlike Mirco's.

Interesting as the QS I have from Micro (Dec 2021)has a very hard clear on it.

I drilled a test hole or two in an obscure area to test.

#1708 1 year ago

I got a replacement from Mirco & got Geoff to rub it back & re clear it

Been about a year now, still a little hesitant about installing it & having it all happen again

I think I would burn it to the ground if it happened again

#1709 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Interesting as the QS I have from Micro (Dec 2021)has a very hard clear on it.
I drilled a test hole or two in an obscure area to test.

Mine was soft roughly 6 months after manufacture.

Quoted from Dicky:

I got a replacement from Mirco & got Geoff to rub it back & re clear it
Been about a year now, still a little hesitant about installing it & having it all happen again
I think I would burn it to the ground if it happened again

Ahh!! Geoff did mine also. I let it sit for a month or 2, but no dramas with it at all. But yep I hear ya!!

#1710 1 year ago

MVCO That quicksilver is a third one that CHRISPIN did. How do I know - I am on the owner of the game. I bought it about a year ago from a guy in VT. Along the way - talked CHRISPIN about it several times as to how he did the cabinet (automotive paint) which looks really cool. Your correct he did not document or sell on pinside so it is a bit hidden from the Quicksilver world. Overall - I can say the game build is amazing looking and plays great. I would not be selling if it were not for space in the house and games coming (Fathom, resorted stars….you know the story).

The seller of the game is a friend - Joe Fox who helps me to move games out my basement and lists them for me. Joe really has sold over 200 games over time. Joe has been on several podcasts over the years talking about his collection.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Let me see if I If understand you correctly. You are saying that this Quicksilver that is currently for sale in the marketplace ( there is only one for sale, currently) is actually the same Quicksilver that is in your house? Is this what you are saying?
Let's break this down. You are here for 7 years and have bought nothing and sold nothing.
[quoted image]
The guy who has it for sale has been on Pinside for 5 years, has placed almost 300 for sale ads in that 5 years, and has sold 132 items. He has a Red heart next to his name showing that he is a contributing member to Pinside. And he has 100% positive feedback. Maybe someone has stole his account, as you say. Or maybe not.
[quoted image]
What say you show us some pictures on the Quicksilver you bought so we can make a comparison for ourselves? Show us a picture of this coin door and that shooter rod. Like this one the seller put up.
[quoted image]
Also, if you have the same Quicksilver, you should also have the little build sticker that Chrispin added to the inside of the cab that ID's Chrispin as the builder.
[quoted image]
The problem is this: I know Chrispin built and sold 2 Quicksilvers. The Quicksilver in this current ad looks different than the other two. The unit that is for sale has all new boards. Maybe Crispin built a 3rd Quicksilver? I don't know.
Thank you.

#1711 1 year ago
Quoted from rodcom:

MVCO That quicksilver is a third one that CHRISPIN did. How do I know - I am on the owner of the game. I bought it about a year ago from a guy in VT. Along the way - talked CHRISPIN about it several times as to how he did the cabinet (automotive paint) which looks really cool. Your correct he did not document or sell on pinside so it is a bit hidden from the Quicksilver world. Overall - I can say the game build is amazing looking and plays great. I would not be selling if it were not for space in the house and games coming (Fathom, resorted stars….you know the story).
The seller of the game is a friend - Joe Fox who helps me to move games out my basement and lists them for me. Joe really has sold over 200 games over time. Joe has been on several podcasts over the years talking about his collection.

i am still waiting for MVCO to show us pics of his Quicksilver that he bought. You say yours is #3 that Chispin built and MYCO says, " I bought the Quicksilver that is is pictured extensively."

=====================================

Quoted from MVCO:

Beware: Possible scam ad today on Marketplace? Anyhow, I bought the Quicksilver that is is pictured extensively. Maybe someone stole this guys account? The game is here in Washington State. Beware!

Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Thank you.

Quoted from MVCO:

Chrispin must have built a 3rd one? Anyway, mine does have that same tag indicating Chrispin built it. Bought it a few months ago from Chrispin. STI picked it up- and brought it to me in Tacoma, WA. Not home from work for pictures, but I wonder if maybe mine has regular coin entry inserts? I think it may, where this one for sale is different. Chrispin must have built another I guess.

#1712 1 year ago

cottonm4 So this is the one that MVCO likely bought. It was crispin 3rd third one it differs from the current ad in that had black legs and green apron vs mine with grey and red.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-quicksilver-12/page/2

Not sure exactly why but the second one Crispin did not list or show the build only trace are the ads for it sold to me and from me!

Quoted from MVCO:

Chrispin must have built a 3rd one? Anyway, mine does have that same tag indicating Chrispin built it. Bought it a few months ago from Chrispin. STI picked it up- and brought it to me in Tacoma, WA. Not home from work for pictures, but I wonder if maybe mine has regular coin entry inserts? I think it may, where this one for sale is different. Chrispin must have built another I guess.

3 weeks later
#1713 1 year ago

I needed to get a copy of my Quicksilver manual printed up and had a couple of extras printed, too.

I had the outside cover printed on heavy card stock. It has a nice, solid feel to it when you open it up.

I have 2 to sell. $25.00 shipped in a manilla envelope. $30.00 if you want USPS Priority Mail.

Send me a PM if interested.

Here is the link to my ad:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/139386

#1714 1 year ago

So after a lot of effort, the worst has happened. The clear has failed and is getting worse every day. Its heartbreaking to see this.

IMG_7663 (resized).JPGIMG_7663 (resized).JPG
IMG_7664 (resized).JPGIMG_7664 (resized).JPG
IMG_7665 (resized).JPGIMG_7665 (resized).JPG
IMG_7666 (resized).JPGIMG_7666 (resized).JPG
IMG_7668 (resized).JPGIMG_7668 (resized).JPG
IMG_7669 (resized).JPGIMG_7669 (resized).JPG

Neil.

#1715 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

So after a lot of effort, the worst has happened. The clear has failed and is getting worse every day. Its heartbreaking to see this.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Neil.

Date of purchase of playfield?

#1716 1 year ago

July 2020.

Neil.

#1717 1 year ago

I've ordered 2 to be sent to Ron for re-clear then I will have it swapped again.

#1718 1 year ago

damn that sucks, i am definitely doing HEP recommendation of putting a #6 washer between every post and PF. That way if the clear bubble, it is under the post, not visible.
Also make sure post are tight just enough so they don't spin by hand but no more.

#1719 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

July 2020.
Neil.

I can see the sanding marks in the blue 2000 plastic. This is/was Mirco's attempt to get rid of this bubbling and chipping problem on the JJP play fields. Obviously, it has not worked. From a quick look at this pic it looks like the clear is lifting up from the color inks. If that is the case, then it suggests there is an adhesion problem between the clear and the ink.

38aab4b2216a0fa6f61be5d34c6e21f9e6b69cb9 (resized).jpg38aab4b2216a0fa6f61be5d34c6e21f9e6b69cb9 (resized).jpg

Mirco will say you over-torqued the posts. Of course, I cannot prove anything, but I think it is something with the brand/type of clear he is using. I know he said he is using a ceramic clear.

In this pic of yours, it looks like there is also a chipping issue at the edge of the hole, just behind the drop target. So now you are talking Jersey Jack play fields with both bubbling and chipping.

2592799df4147299cffc024f83ba8b57dcb6aeec (resized).jpg2592799df4147299cffc024f83ba8b57dcb6aeec (resized).jpg

I have a friend with a WOZ he bought brand new. It has a lot of plays on and the play field still looks brand new. I also have had an opportunity to put some time on a high-use Hobbit. Other than some dimples, that play field looks brand new, as well.

And then it all fell apart for Mirco. He must have changed something in his processes but who knows what.

Did you contact Mirco about your issues? If you did, it rather sounds like he told you to take a hike.

#1720 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

damn that sucks, i am definitely doing HEP recommendation of putting a #6 washer between every post and PF. That way if the clear bubble, it is under the post, not visible.
Also make sure post are tight just enough so they don't spin by hand but no more.

I have a large collection of posts that came from several play fields. I was surprised to discover that I have 2 different styles of posts in my stash.

I'll call this post the deep post. The center cylinder and the two support bosses are set down deep into the post.

This post needs 3 #6 washers so the washer, and not the post, will take the stresses.

IMG_0610 (resized).jpgIMG_0610 (resized).jpg

3 washers

IMG_0611 (resized).jpgIMG_0611 (resized).jpg

Here is the same post with just 2 washers. The washer just barely comes up to the base of the post.

IMG_0612 (resized).jpgIMG_0612 (resized).jpg

This is the other style of post I have. The center support is almost even with the base of the post. I'll call this the shallow post.

IMG_0617 (resized).JPGIMG_0617 (resized).JPG

Here is that shallow post with just one washer.

IMG_0636 (resized).JPGIMG_0636 (resized).JPG

If you go with the #6 washers, you will need to inspect your posts so you know how many washers to use for each post.
======================================

I stumbled across these neoprene washers at the hardware store and thought I would try them out. They are made in Taiwan, China, Korea, Canada, and the US. They should be available around the world.
IMG_0613 (resized).jpgIMG_0613 (resized).jpg

Out of the box, they are crowned. A squeeze in the bench vise flattens them out.

IMG_0627 (resized).jpgIMG_0627 (resized).jpg

On the left is the deep post with the neoprene washer. I have it torqued down but you can see a bit of a gap between the post and the wood base. The post on the right is the shallow post which I also have torqued down. You can see there is a larger gap between the post and the wood base.

IMG_0631 (resized).jpgIMG_0631 (resized).jpg

So, 2 things with this picture. Look at the post on the left and see all of the stress marks in the plastic. The only way these stress marks get here is because the post is torqued down snug to the play field; Every time a ball hammers the post at the rubber the impact stresses are transferred to the base of the post and since the post is locked down tight to the play field those impacts stress and crack the post base.

But with the use of washers to lift the post off the play field, the only impact stress the post will "feel" is at the rubber ring. The base of the post will not have any stresses applied to it.

Here are some pics of a ball up next to each post. You can see the rubber rings are at different levels, but in both cases, the ball hits the rubber below the centerline of the rubber. I don't think the added height will affect how the ball travels. However, I will not know for sure until I get my build finished and start playing. But I am happy with the neoprene washers so far.

IMG_0635 (resized).jpgIMG_0635 (resized).jpg

IMG_0634 (resized).jpgIMG_0634 (resized).jpg

So, all of the verbiage above can be distilled down to: If you are going to use #6 washers, make sure what post style you have and washer up accordingly.

#1721 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Yeah the guy who did the swap is a veteran of pinball playfield swaps and knows Mirco - even at the loosened torque its still going to do it.

With regards to washers I did this on my TNA when they had this issue, it initially covers it up but after time on certain heavy areas (posts at the top of the bottom half of the playfield) that take a lot of hits eventually the cracking/bubbling appears. It takes a while but it happens. On QS I'd expect this to happen at the posts around the spinners. Same sort of shot.

I've emailed Mirco and asked for a refund on my QS playfield, given I've ordered another one; all in all by the time my QS is bulletproof on the playfield element I'll have spent almost $5000 on playfields, swap, reclearing and postage. Luckily for QS it's one of my most favourite games. And NineBall I didn't get round to doing yet, so I'll have a spare nine ball playfield.

Regards,
Neil.

#1722 1 year ago

on another question - what parts are folks using to rebuild slings?

#1723 1 year ago

I should add that the playfield sat out of its box in my shed for a just under a year before the swap happened.

#1724 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I should add that the playfield sat out of its box in my shed for a just under a year before the swap happened.

Mine was purchased the end of 2021, soft washers under all the posts and has a very hard clearcoat. Tested by drilling in the top right white area. 60+ games so far.

20220325_182844 (resized).jpg20220325_182844 (resized).jpg
#1725 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

on another question - what parts are folks using to rebuild slings?

I have a stash of kicker arms and use these brackets from Pinball Life. These brackets are different than factory; One hole has to be cut open so the kicker can rotate.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

The effort to have new Stern style kicker arms made was a bust. So, if you have no Stern kicker arms....

I have a Data East Robocop and its slings do the job in fine form. Pinball Life sells these Data East sling assemblies. Installation for a new build seems like it would be easy enough.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-slingshot-assembly.html

And there is this sling assembly that is a little bit cheaper. According to the ad, this style for Spooky pinballs but works for DE pins. My friend's TNA has very good sling action so these would probably work fine.

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshot-assembly.html

And with both of these units all of the parts can be bought individually so if you have some coils and switches in your inventory you can build your own.

#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a stash of kicker arms and use these brackets from Pinball Life. These brackets are different than factory; One hole has to be cut open so the kicker can rotate.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html
[quoted image]
The effort to have new Stern style kicker arms made was a bust. So, if you have no Stern kicker arms....
I have a Data East Robocop and its slings do the job in fine form. Pinball Life sells these Data East sling assemblies. Installation for a new build seems like it would be easy enough.
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-slingshot-assembly.html
[quoted image]
And there is this sling assembly that is a little bit cheaper. According to the ad, this style for Spooky pinballs but works for DE pins. My friend's TNA has very good sling action so these would probably work fine.
https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshot-assembly.html
[quoted image]
And with both of these units all of the parts can be bought individually so if you have some coils and switches in your inventory you can build your own.

FYI the newer Stern and DE sling assembly does NOT line up on Quicksilver as I found out to my chagrin after ordering for my project.

They work fine on Seawitch though.

#1727 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I've emailed Mirco and asked for a refund on my QS playfield,

I had to email Mirco more than once to get any action. I finally resorted to sending my emails on Sunday evening from over here thinking that they would be the first item he saw on Monday morning.

I sent pictures of the defective area on my play field and expressed it was an adhesion issue and nothing to do with over-torquing a post. He finally came thru with a replacement play field.

I hate to leave you with this but all I can say is Good Luck.

#1728 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

FYI the newer Stern and DE sling assembly does NOT line up on Quicksilver as I found out to my chagrin after ordering for my project.

What is the difference between QS and Seawitch?

Thanks.

#1729 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What is the difference between QS and Seawitch?
Thanks.

Spacing of the holes at the sling assembly. On Seawitch they are fairly uniform, on QS they are not.

#1730 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/24#post-6806904

If you compare them, you can see in the sling switch openings are different.

Bally is also different enough (they put the lamps behind the switches) I can't use them for that application either.

So I have two new DE assemblies gathering dust on the shelf.

6e4349748957f0920b4c8dea0f064ebdc57bd16e (resized).jpg6e4349748957f0920b4c8dea0f064ebdc57bd16e (resized).jpga68c6d0a004e5942e7af35f7a023d950024d8d97 (resized).jpga68c6d0a004e5942e7af35f7a023d950024d8d97 (resized).jpg
#1731 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/24#post-6806904
If you compare them, you can see in the sling switch openings are different.
Bally is also different enough (they put the lamps behind the switches) I can't use them for that application either.
So I have two new DE assemblies gathering dust on the shelf. [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. I see what you are talking about. It is strange why Stern engineered QS this way. The sling area is a comparable pattern on both Witch and QS.

IMG_0658 (resized).jpgIMG_0658 (resized).jpg

IMG_0659 (resized).jpgIMG_0659 (resized).jpg

So my next question is: Is there enough meat on the DE sling assembly to move the switch into the needed position?

All that would be needed is to drill 2 holes into the needed position and then tap the holes. To do it correctly you would need a drill press for accurate drilling. And then go buy an individual tap of correct thread size for about $5.00.

I don't want to open Robocop up right now. Can you post a pic showing the business side/ back side of DE sling assembly, please? You don't even need to dust it off

#1732 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks. I see what you are talking about. It is strange why Stern engineered QS this way. The sling area is a comparable pattern on both Witch and QS.

Probably slightly changes the trajectory of the ball to percentage the game time correctly. I'd think it'd be easier to change whatever it's hitting into as that area opposite would change easier since it's just posts.

Now if stern did use the all in one assembly back then (which is a great idea.... I think Wico used it and some of the home games) that area would have been sacrosanct and we'd have easy replacements.

#1733 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So my next question is: Is there enough meat on the DE sling assembly to move the switch into the needed position?

No. You could chop off the switches and mount them separate with L brackets but that wasn't worth my time.

1 week later
#1735 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Mine was purchased the end of 2021, soft washers under all the posts and has a very hard clearcoat. Tested by drilling in the top right white area. 60+ games so far.
[quoted image]

Yeah first 500 games it was fine, then it deteriorated badly, hope yours is ok man.

#1736 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

what did you use in the end?

#1737 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

what did you use in the end?

Used Stern set.

#1738 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yeah first 500 games it was fine, then it deteriorated badly, hope yours is ok man.

Have to wait and see, no particular hurry playing it. Knew the risk going in.

1 week later
#1739 1 year ago

Hi Quicksilverers! I got a game into the shop and I'm trying to identify what is up with this wiring. Would anybody be able to send me a similar few images that show what this looks like originally? I'm looking to repair the display/lamp harness wiring in the head back to its original state. Thanks!

PXL_20220810_210522480 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210522480 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220810_210515443 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210515443 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220810_210507313 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210507313 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210458931 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210458931 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210454709 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210454709 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210527850 (resized).jpgPXL_20220810_210527850 (resized).jpg

#1740 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Hi Quicksilverers! I got a game into the shop and I'm trying to identify what is up with this wiring. Would anybody be able to send me a similar few images that show what this looks like originally? I'm looking to repair the display/lamp harness wiring in the head back to its original state. Thanks!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I do not want to sound trite, but pictures won't help you much at this point. You say you are a shop but I will approach this as if you know nothing; Trust me. It will be easier.

I will help you if you are willing to do the following. Take a piece of tape and tape a number to each connector and I will tell you where each number needs to go. etc.

Here is your starting point. There are 4 circuit boards.

1) The small circuit board in the upper left on the side is the sound board.

2) The large CB at the upper left is the MPU.

3) The board in lower left is the lamp driver board, or LDA.

4) The board at upper right is the solenoid driver board, or SDU.

Each board has four sets of connector pins. Each set on the board will be labeled J-1, J-2, J-3, and J-4. The SDU has a couple of more clusters of pins. Study them so you will understand what is going on. Each set of pins will have a missing pin. It might be pin number 8 that is missing. It might be pin number 4 that is missing. You will see a small white triangle next to each missing pin on each set of pins.

That is enough lesson for now.

Come back with readable number for each wire connector and I will tell where it goes. Or someone else may come in with a better way to do this.

One more thing you need to do or I won't life a finger.

Count how many pins are on each connector and place that on your numbers label. There will also be a pin hole on each connector that will be blocked with a small white keyway blocker. It might there is a blocker at pin #4, or pin #8.

Do this and come back. We will get you hooked up.

#1741 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I do not want to sound trite, but pictures won't help you much at this point. You say you are a shop but I will approach this as if you know nothing; Trust me. It will be easier.
I will help you if you are willing to do the following. Take a piece of tape and tape a number to each connector and I will tell you where each number needs to go. etc.
Here is your starting point. There are 4 circuit boards.
1) The small circuit board in the upper left on the side is the sound board.
2) The large CB at the upper left is the MPU.
3) The board in lower left is the lamp driver board, or LDA.
4) The board at upper right is the solenoid driver board, or SDU.
Each board has four sets of connector pins. Each set on the board will be labeled J-1, J-2, J-3, and J-4. The SDU has a couple of more clusters of pins. Study them so you will understand what is going on. Each set of pins will have a missing pin. It might be pin number 8 that is missing. It might be pin number 4 that is missing. You will see a small white triangle next to each missing pin on each set of pins.
That is enough lesson for now.
Come back with readable number for each wire connector and I will tell where it goes. Or someone else may come in with a better way to do this.
One more thing you need to do or I won't life a finger.
Count how many pins are on each connector and place that on your numbers label. There will also be a pin hole on each connector that will be blocked with a small white keyway blocker. It might there is a blocker at pin #4, or pin #8.
Do this and come back. We will get you hooked up.

Ok, well. Please feel free to not lift a finger then!

I understand where all the connectors go, and I will consult the schematics to re-wire these harnesses in a way that isn't as weird...what I was hoping for was just a clear image of an installed harness so I can see how the thing was constructed originally. I've found some online, they're just not clear.

Happy to send some free wire or connector bits for someone willing to just drop a couple images. Thanks!

#1742 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Ok, well. Please feel free to not lift a finger then!
I understand where all the connectors go, and I will consult the schematics to re-wire these harnesses in a way that isn't as weird...what I was hoping for was just a clear image of an installed harness so I can see how the thing was constructed originally. I've found some online, they're just not clear.
Happy to send some free wire or connector bits for someone willing to just drop a couple images. Thanks!

This is from Seawitch. Will these help?

IMG_0881 (resized).jpgIMG_0881 (resized).jpgIMG_0880 (resized).jpgIMG_0880 (resized).jpgIMG_0879 (resized).jpgIMG_0879 (resized).jpgIMG_0877 (resized).jpgIMG_0877 (resized).jpg

#1743 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is from Seawitch. Will these help?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank for the images, yes those will help.

I think I did a bad job of explaining my query in my original post though, let me try to do better

Some areas of the harness in my images (specifically the bit that comes off of the display panel and connects to the MPU & Lamp board) has had some alterations made to it. You can tell where the zip-ties were replaced with yellow ones where the work was done.

Basically, I am trying to understand what changes were made from the original assembly (so I can repair it back to that state). Mostly for my own knowledge and because I'm fussy, plus maybe I'll learn something along the way

Hopefully that helps. Thanks!

#1744 1 year ago

Here is the switch matrix with wire color callouts.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.47.06 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.47.06 PM (resized).jpg

and here is part of solenoid matrix.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.47.44 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.47.44 PM (resized).jpg

And here is all of your feature lights wiring with color callouts.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.49.10 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.49.10 PM (resized).jpg

Here is the link. All the drawings are in the English manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=quicksilver&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1895

I advise caution. Stern had a habit of substituting wires during production. A callout green/white wire might actually be a purple/black wire. I ran into 3 wire color substitutions on the Quicksilver I am building up.

#1745 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Basically, I am trying to understand what changes were made from the original assembly (so I can repair it back to that state). Mostly for my own knowledge and because I'm fussy, plus maybe I'll learn something along the way

Don't know if this will help or not. Your harness has definitely been hacked up, for what reason I don't know. I have assembled almost 40 harnesses for Q/S at this point and couldn't hope to tell you what the goal was here. Here is all the pertinent plug runs. Maybe it'll help? At least give you a starting point.

QSlightsorder.pdfQSlightsorder.pdf
2 months later
#1747 1 year ago

looking for a playfield harness if anyone has one.

3 weeks later
#1748 1 year ago

anyone know where the missing hole is under the apron on micro playfield?

Neil.

#1749 1 year ago

It was only missing on the first round of playfields. If you got one in the last couple years and playfield has all the key lines correct (I think it was the top star rollover missing a key line?), it should have that hole already cut too. I have built two QS’s since 2020 and didn’t have to cut anything.

1 month later
#1750 1 year ago

Hello, I am about to pull the trigger soon on a mirco quicksilver pf +plastics. I am turning a Stern Magic into one. I believe I have everything I need except the metal lane guides. I bought SG guides from Mantis pinball but he doesn't have anything listed for QS besides a DIY kit guides.
https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-ball-guide-kit/

Would this suffice? Anyone have any extra by chance? Want to weigh my options. Thanks

Stephen
Edit: I did a search for "guides" on the forum and see cottonm4 sent a set to Mantis im going to reach out to him when he's back and hopefully I can get a set made. Thanks all for contributing into creating them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/35?hl=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.