20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 37.
#1301 3 years ago

I think the locking connectors are over rated, IMO. Especially on a display connector.

#1302 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So it has come to my attention, thanks to many of you builders out there, that my harness plugs are incompatible with the aftermarket score displays and other cards. (I.E. SB-300) The problem is that the plugs I use have the ramp opposite the side it should be on. Thus it is pretty much impossible to get it on.

You actually have it correct.

The "wall" that keeps you from installing the plugs backwards should face the interior of the card, the pins face the exterior.

If the "walls" were installed along the exterior of the boards, then it would impossible to hook your microclips for testing around the pins while the connectors were still installed.

#1303 3 years ago

I have been through reverse connectors is if the game is ever sold and these are pulled it can create pretty big problems. Just make sure it is labeled and with something permanent. I have destroyed a Meteor and Quicksilver power supply over the long connector on the power supplies being put on backwards / reversed. So please everyone just label the connectors once you do this. Not a big deal until the game changes hands and something is not labeled. So permanent marker everyone.

#1304 3 years ago

Just make sure if you flip your connector pins to match some crazy-backwards-assembled aftermarket display, than you don't forget to put the plastic keying pin back in

Otherwise, someone in the future will certainly put it back together the "right" way, which is now backwards

#1305 3 years ago

I was able to force the plugs on still on my star gazer FYI

1 week later
#1306 3 years ago

Hey Quicksilver owners, I'm looking for a few pictures to complete my QS build. In particular, I am looking for:
1. A clear pic of how to wire up the speaker area. It looks like green/yellow and green/white go to the speaker, but not sure how to wire up the volume control. Any tips?
2. A clear pic of how to wire up the tilt area. I can see some of where the wires go, but not all. In particular, I don't seem to have a white/black wire on my new harness for the plumb bob. ?
3. A clear pic(s) of which colored wires get hooked up to the specific controlled lamps for the backbox. I have the smaller harness (6-prong) wired, but can't find any pics of where the larger (9-prong) harness wires go to.
4. My coin door is from an older Stern which only had 1 switch. Is there any reason I absolutely have to have both switches? If not, which wires are go to the important switch?

Pics included for reference. Many thanks!
IMG_6126 (resized).JPGIMG_6126 (resized).JPGIMG_6127 (resized).JPGIMG_6127 (resized).JPGIMG_6128 (resized).JPGIMG_6128 (resized).JPG

#1307 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Hey Quicksilver owners, I'm looking for a few pictures to complete my QS build. In particular, I am looking for:
1. A clear pic of how to wire up the speaker area. It looks like green/yellow and green/white go to the speaker, but not sure how to wire up the volume control. Any tips?
2. A clear pic of how to wire up the tilt area. I can see some of where the wires go, but not all. In particular, I don't seem to have a white/black wire on my new harness for the plumb bob. ?
3. A clear pic(s) of which colored wires get hooked up to the specific controlled lamps for the backbox. I have the smaller harness (6-prong) wired, but can't find any pics of where the larger (9-prong) harness wires go to.
Pics included for reference. Many thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My QS is outside the house now, but you may be able to find what you need in my (many) QS scratch build project picture folder, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahxi0c_5v2PVpeoWEatwBzJNKreYyw?e=E6yT5H

#1308 3 years ago

Well, as of last month, I'm officially in the club! I could of had a totally beat QS four years ago for $1800, but regrettably didn't pull the trigger.

Instead, I ended up making a deal for the "whitewood" QS that was floating around Pinside a year or so ago. The game appears to have a PF that was sanded down and clear-coated. Pretty certain it is not a whitewood. The cabinet was repainted nicely at some point, the BG is NOS, and oddly, the plastics are clear.

I've already picked up a Mirco PF and plastics, and I plan on doing a PF swap at some point. In the meantime the game plays fast, and I am enjoying learning the rules without any PF art or insert markings to guide me.

My apron is the orange and black variety. I have a spare Stern white apron, and plan on stripping it, painting it green, and using a Pinball Rescue decal to complete it. Any recommendations on the color of green to use? I picked up a can of Ace Hardware generic green gloss enamel, and it looks pretty close to the PF green, but I am thinking that maybe I should try to find a exact match if possible. Any suggestions from anyone who has painted one of these aaprons and done the Pinball Rescue decal?

#1309 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

My QS is outside the house now, but you may be able to find what you need in my (many) QS scratch build project picture folder, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahxi0c_5v2PVpeoWEatwBzJNKreYyw?e=E6yT5H

Thanks man. This helps a TON. Seriously, you are a picture champion. Still a bit muddy on how the backbox controlled lamps wire up as it's difficult to see, but this gets me much farther.

#1310 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Any suggestions from anyone who has painted one of these aaprons and done the Pinball Rescue decal?

I used that color green and it turned out great. That said, if I had an orange and black original, I'd use that for sure. The Pinball Rescue one is decent, but not without it's flaws. You get ONE chance to put it on right.

#1311 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I used that color green and it turned out great. That said, if I had an orange and black original, I'd use that for sure. The Pinball Rescue one is decent, but not without it's flaws. You get ONE chance to put it on right.

AKAIK, there is the standard black and orange, and there is a black with light green stripes pictured earlier in this thread. My apron is original and is a dark metallic green with the lighter green stripes.

#1312 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Well, as of last month, I'm officially in the club! I could of had a totally beat QS four years ago for $1800, but regrettably didn't pull the trigger.
Instead, I ended up making a deal for the "whitewood" QS that was floating around Pinside a year or so ago. The game appears to have a PF that was sanded down and clear-coated. Pretty certain it is not a whitewood. The cabinet was repainted nicely at some point, the BG is NOS, and oddly, the plastics are clear.
I've already picked up a Mirco PF and plastics, and I plan on doing a PF swap at some point. In the meantime the game plays fast, and I am enjoying learning the rules without any PF art or insert markings to guide me.
My apron is the orange and black variety. I have a spare Stern white apron, and plan on stripping it, painting it green, and using a Pinball Rescue decal to complete it. Any recommendations on the color of green to use? I picked up a can of Ace Hardware generic green gloss enamel, and it looks pretty close to the PF green, but I am thinking that maybe I should try to find a exact match if possible. Any suggestions from anyone who has painted one of these aaprons and done the Pinball Rescue decal?

I played that one. Kinda figured it wasn't a whitewood, but hell, you got an original that you're swaping in a new pf for. That's better than building a frankenstein version.

#1313 3 years ago

Yes, the green/white and green/yellow go to the speaker. The purple/yellow and purple/black go to the volume pot. One wire will be on the center lug and the other needs to go to one of the side lugs. I usually figure out which one using a meter but someone smarter than me may have a better answer.

The tilt is wired up the same as on any Bally diagram. Since I could source no concrete Stern info I had no choice but to go that way. The wite/black wire should have been rolled up with the roll of tilt panel wires. If not, it is missing and I'll get one out to you.

In the backbox, the red and white wires will go to one run of GI bulbs and the orange and green wires will go to the other. The blue wire will be daisy chained to each controlled lamp. This is their power wire. There should be enough to tie it in with the harness that connects to the score displays.

A lot of you seem to be needing more info than I have been putting out so I will centralize it all here. Whatever y'all need just ask and I will post what I can.

sb-300 (resized).pngsb-300 (resized).pngtilt wiring (resized).jpgtilt wiring (resized).jpg
#1314 3 years ago

coin door -

Green and yellow/white go to the lockout coil. Green to the BANDED side of the coil!

White to one side of the memory clear switch and red to one side of the test switch. Yellow/red goes to the other side of both. Daisy chain from one to the other.

Blue, brown/white and red/white go to the coin chutes starting at the hinge side and working out. Red/yellow goes to the other side of the coin chute switches and will daisy chain from one to the next as well as to the slam and credit buttons.

Blue/white to the other side of the credit switch, yellow to the other side of the slam.

Red/green and yellow/black daisy chain to your GI lights.

Added over 3 years ago:

Should read green/red and yellow/black daisy chain to the GI lights.

#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Thanks! I'm going to try the green paint and the Pinball Rescue decal to see how it comes out after applying my limited skills to the task. Only risk is ruining an already ugly beat-up white Stern apron, and losing a $25 decal. The orange and black apron is my back-up, though I'm not crazy with the way it looks on QS.

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Thanks! I'm going to try the green paint and the Pinball Rescue decal to see how it comes out after applying my limited skills to the task. Only risk is ruining an already ugly beat-up white Stern apron, and losing a $25 decal. The orange and black apron is my back-up, though I'm not crazy with the way it looks on QS.

Yes, but prepare to wait a LONG time to get it shipped. Coming from AUS, it took like 2.5 months to arrive!

#1317 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I played that one. Kinda figured it wasn't a whitewood, but hell, you got an original that you're swaping in a new pf for. That's better than building a frankenstein version.

Yeah, I was happy to find it.

#1318 3 years ago

Pinball Rescue is doing only DHL shipping now which is unfortunately $34 for a decal. I need a couple decals myself if you (or anyone) is interested in doing a group buy and save on shipping.

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Pinball Rescue is doing only DHL shipping now which is unfortunately $34 for a decal. I need a couple decals myself if you (or anyone) is interested in doing a group buy and save on shipping.

I had to pay something like $16.00 to have a decal shipped a couple of years. I was sucking in my breath at that.

#1320 3 years ago

im in for 2 QS Apron decals

#1321 3 years ago

I need a star gazer and a quicksilver.

#1322 3 years ago

Cool, I just sent an email to Pinball Rescue. After I get confirmation from them that they can accommodate, I’ll start a thread to see who else wants in.

#1323 3 years ago

Cool, I just sent an email to Pinball Rescue. After I get confirmation from them that they can accommodate, I’ll start a thread to see who else wants in.

They should be able to get them to you... I just got one for a client last week and they will ship DHL for 35 bucks and have it here 7-10 days.

p

1 week later
3 weeks later
#1325 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Here's the result. I definitely like the green version better.

The decals were pretty easy to install. My only complaint is that I have very fine air bubbles-- admittedly hard to see-- under the decal despite doing the soap and credit card squeegee method.

SternQuicksilverApron2 - 1 (resized).jpgSternQuicksilverApron2 - 1 (resized).jpgSternQuicksilverAprons - 1 (resized).jpgSternQuicksilverAprons - 1 (resized).jpg
#1326 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Here's the result. I definitely like the green version better.
The decals were pretty easy to install. My only complaint is that I have very fine air bubbles-- admittedly hard to see-- under the decal despite doing the soap and credit card squeegee method.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks nice, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the decal maker could not get the Stern Electronics printed correctly.

#1327 3 years ago

I had a similar issue with bubbles but they seemed to work their way out after a week or so. When I first did the coin door decals, they looked like absolute shit. After a week, it looks fantastic (pics are roughly day 1, day 3, and day 6... don't have a more recent photo handy that shows all the bubbles gone).

For the guys in my group decal buy, I just got a text from DHL while I was typing this: they're out for delivery!

7DF7789F-34A1-43C9-9D22-A60B6913B855 (resized).jpeg7DF7789F-34A1-43C9-9D22-A60B6913B855 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.27.08 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.27.08 AM (resized).png
#1328 3 years ago

I had a similar issue with bubbles but they seemed to work their way out after a week or so. When I first did the coin door decals, they looked like absolute shit. After a week, it looks fantastic (pics are roughly day 1, day 3, and day 6... don't have a more recent photo handy that shows all the bubbles gone).
For the guys in my group decal buy, I just got a text from DHL while I was typing this: they're out for delivery!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your pops sure are lit up nicely.

#1329 3 years ago

That's good to hear. Makes me feel a lot better!

#1330 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Your pops sure are lit up nicely.

I splurged for the EVO lights from Pinball Life. I hate the way ring lights look with translucent caps but with opaque ones they're fantastic. I had higher hopes for the "flash react" feature but it just makes it seem like a flaky socket in the center since it'll flash when other mechs (or even flippers) are activated. Now that you mention it, I have been meaning to ask why that one in the back left is noticeably dimmer than the others.

#1331 3 years ago

I splurged for the EVO lights from Pinball Life. I hate the way ring lights look with translucent caps but with opaque ones they're fantastic. I had higher hopes for the "flash react" feature but it just makes it seem like a flaky socket in the center since it'll flash when other mechs (or even flippers) are activated. Now that you mention it, I have been meaning to ask why that one in the back left is noticeably dimmer than the others.

I' be curious to see a photo of those with an opaque cap on them.

#1332 3 years ago

My pic above is using the original-style opaque yellow mushroom caps on QS. It's this that I don't like...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1333 3 years ago

My pic above is using the original-style opaque yellow mushroom caps on QS. It's this that I don't like...
[quoted image]

Yeah, I don't like any bright lights shooting up into my eyes either - too much glare

1 week later
#1334 3 years ago

Could somebody help me out with something? Had 2 questions regarding the wires right next to the plumb bob and tilt mechs in the cab:
-what does the blue and brown wire go to?
-what does the red and green wire go to? In some instances it looks like the red and yellow go to both the ball tilt switch AND the slam tilt switch, but in others it seems like the red and green goes to the slam tilt; red and yellow goes to ball tilt. Not sure what to do though!

#1335 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

-what does the blue and brown wire go to?

No blue-brown wire listed - sure it isn't blue-orange which is the switch return wire on the Tilt?

Quoted from seshpilot:

-what does the red and green wire go to?

It's not used on Quick Silver.
Earlier Sterns had the red-green wire hooked up to the Slam switch.

Quoted from seshpilot:

in some instances it looks like the red and yellow

It goes to the Tilt, Slam, Start and three coin chute switches. Basically all the front end cabinet/door switches. It's the switch strobe signal that will connect to the diode (non-banded side) on these switches.

Stern_CabinetSwitches.pngStern_CabinetSwitches.png

#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It goes to the Tilt, Slam, Start and three coin chute switches.

You're the best. Thanks man.

#1337 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

You're the best. Thanks man.

couple pictures of my Big Game if that helps, they should be fairly similar

20210207_102430- (resized).jpg20210207_102430- (resized).jpg20210207_102442- (resized).jpg20210207_102442- (resized).jpg

#1338 3 years ago

OK, one more pic needed: of the volume pot near the speaker. For some reason, my volume pot isn't working. Not sure if my wires are wired up correctly.

IMG_6325 (resized).JPGIMG_6325 (resized).JPG
#1339 3 years ago

20210207_143750- (resized).jpg20210207_143750- (resized).jpg

#1340 3 years ago

Hmmmm, I'm using a Third Coast Pinball harness and am not seeing those color wires.

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]

Actually, hisokajp it looks like you do have purple wires going to the plug, then the wires change. Can you take a pic close-up of the plug with what color wires go to what (i.e.: purple-white goes to white-green, or whatever)?

#1342 3 years ago

Green/white and green/yellow to the speaker and the purple wires to the pot.

#1343 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

For some reason, my volume pot isn't working. Not sure if my wires are wired up correctly.

Your connections on the volume control are good enough for it to function, i.e, one wire on the middle lug, the other wire on an outer lug.
Your problem is either the volume potentiometer itself, a connection issue with those purple wires back at the sound board or a fault on the sound board itself.
For clarity, hopefully someone can confirm how those purple wires connect to the volume control but technically the way you have it doesn't matter.

Speaking of which, in the speaker picture by hisokajp above the red spot on the speaker near the right side lug indicates that's the positive "+" lug. You have the speaker wires crossed over though in a single speaker system it makes no difference. Just telling you incase you're OCD about these things. i.e. from factory:
Green-Yellow wire to the positive speaker lug
Green-White wire to the negative speaker lug

#1344 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Your connections on the volume control are good enough for it to function, i.e, one wire on the middle lug, the other wire on an outer lug.
Your problem is either the volume potentiometer itself, a connection issue with those purple wires back at the sound board or a fault on the sound board itself.
For clarity, hopefully someone can confirm how those purple wires connect to the volume control but technically the way you have it doesn't matter.
Speaking of which, in the speaker picture by hisokajp above the red spot on the speaker near the right side lug indicates that's the positive "+" lug. You have the speaker wires crossed over though in a single speaker system it makes no difference. Just telling you incase you're OCD about these things. i.e. from factory:
Green-Yellow wire to the positive speaker lug
Green-White wire to the negative speaker lug

I get sound alright, but it's blasting loud. The pot doesn't do anything. It should be a 25k pot right?

#1345 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

It should be a 25k pot right?

Correct, the volume pot should be 25k ohms.

Have you tested it with your multi-meter?
Meter set to resistance mode, set it to 20k or 200k ohms if your meter isn't auto-ranging.
Machine OFF
One meter lead on the middle pot lug. Other meter lead on the outer pot lug where the other purple wire is soldered.
The resistance reading should vary between 0 ohms and 25k ohms as you do a slow sweep across the full pot rotation range.

BTW, where do the purple wires connect on the sound board? They should be on pins 1 and 3 of the J3 connector.

#1346 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Hmmmm, I'm using a Third Coast Pinball harness and am not seeing those color wires.

A couple of observations for clarity.

1) The speaker wires come from the back box harness and not the play field harness.

2) And your pot does not look like the original pot. My limited experience with my Sterns is the pot has a long white plastic shank for making adjustments. Your look like a replacement from what I can see in the pics.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.14.23 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.14.23 AM (resized).png
#1347 3 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a set of spinner decals for the game?

Thanks

#1348 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does anyone know where I can get a set of spinner decals for the game?
Thanks

pinsider Tractor Doc can help you out. Nice guy. Good product.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1169-doc-s-pinball-shop/02595-classic-stern-spinner-decal-yellow-background-green-

#1349 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like he is out unfortunately.

#1350 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like he is out unfortunately.

Just pm him and he'll restock his shop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 3.00
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 10.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.