20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 37.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am so happy with the quality of the clear on my Mirror Quicksilver play field and my CPR Catacomb play field that I am going use them as they were shipped to me.

I heard some differing opinions on the quality & hardness of their clear. But for this rare title, and after speaking with Ron, I thought this game deserved his special treatment. I'm really curious to see how it came out. He did 8 coats of clear, polyurethaned the backside & drilled the missing hole under the apron on the Mirco playfield. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am so happy with the quality of the clear on my Mirco Quicksilver play field and my CPR Catacomb play field that I am going use them as they were shipped to me.

Really?? My QS was shite!

#1153 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Really. I have no complaints. It is nice and shiny. It was still a little soft when it arrived. It has been cooking off in its box as I am busy with other things.

Now, the clear is as hard as a rock. It is triple shiny. And smooth as the proverbial baby's butt. All it needs if for me to start putting it together. Color me happy.
===============================

What was wrong with yours?

#1154 3 years ago

Mine's good ... same thing with the not full cured on arrival. Its great now though, not installed yet.

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Really. I have no complaints. It is nice and shiny. It was still a little soft when it arrived. It has been cooking off in its box as I am busy with other things.
Now, the clear is as hard as a rock. It is triple shiny. And smooth as the proverbial baby's butt. All it needs if for me to start putting it together. Color me happy.
===============================
What was wrong with yours?

My “shite” comment is no doubt tainted by Mirco’s incredibly poor customer service. The artwork and colours are great, but the clearcoat was crap. Still soft maybe 6months after production, inserts weren’t level with sunken clearcoat. Not comparable to previous repro’s I’ve bought (from CPR and previous Mirco’s).

Having to re-clear a brand new playfield is BS!! But it’s the customer service which left the sour taste. The playfield looks great now.

#1156 3 years ago

Has anyone found some decent looking instruction cards? Since my game isn't stock, I don't really want to use the standard version.

#1158 3 years ago
#1159 3 years ago

I went with those, easy 4x6" Costco photo printing

QS-1 (resized).jpgQS-1 (resized).jpgQS-2 (resized).jpgQS-2 (resized).jpg
#1160 3 years ago

My new Mirco playfield arrived from Ron Kruzman yesterday. What a thing of beauty! He had it for about 4 months. I think he did something like 8 coats of clear, sanding, buffing, etc. The final results look outstanding to me. It’s like a sheet of glass. Very happy I decided to pay the extra money to get it clear coated correctly. It will still sit for a month or so before I even begin working on it.

761742A6-8229-4984-BEAB-8EEF2E06FD00 (resized).jpeg761742A6-8229-4984-BEAB-8EEF2E06FD00 (resized).jpeg6F583013-3D4A-4750-A58B-A3C1964AF087 (resized).jpeg6F583013-3D4A-4750-A58B-A3C1964AF087 (resized).jpeg040387FB-2D4A-488B-B2F3-3AF8F4431822 (resized).jpeg040387FB-2D4A-488B-B2F3-3AF8F4431822 (resized).jpegAE44BC22-AF2F-4993-B0BC-1128AFF7B7A6 (resized).jpegAE44BC22-AF2F-4993-B0BC-1128AFF7B7A6 (resized).jpeg
#1161 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

My new Mirco playfield arrived from Ron Kruzman yesterday. What a thing of beauty! He had it for about 4 months. I think he did something like 8 coats of clear, sanding, buffing, etc. The final results look outstanding to me. It’s like a sheet of glass. Very happy I decided to pay the extra money to get it clear coated correctly. It will still sit for a month or so before I even begin working on it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks great. Ron does amazing work. Good job sending your QS pf to him. It will be simple free for many years now.

1 week later
#1162 3 years ago

Quicksilver resto finally done.
Cab completely redone. Semi matte finish
New Mirco playfield with extra clearcoat added
New plastics
Titan rubbers
All mechs rebuilt
All boards serviced
Legs and coin door powdercoated
All hardware tumbled polished or replaced
All wiring cleaned/replaced
Back glass is good but may replace

Still tweaking but plays pretty good already. Need to get some more ripping from the spinners. Any tips?

11401695-5FD6-4324-A645-8DAA602B16B7 (resized).jpeg11401695-5FD6-4324-A645-8DAA602B16B7 (resized).jpeg3F81AAF2-AB00-4863-9B83-B89D59B52BD7 (resized).jpeg3F81AAF2-AB00-4863-9B83-B89D59B52BD7 (resized).jpeg9162D0AE-CE38-48E8-9187-A2D1774AEAC6 (resized).jpeg9162D0AE-CE38-48E8-9187-A2D1774AEAC6 (resized).jpegD37F7A43-DF52-4EFF-B5E9-1F7D379B4DEA (resized).jpegD37F7A43-DF52-4EFF-B5E9-1F7D379B4DEA (resized).jpeg
#1163 3 years ago

BA131BAD-4D32-446B-8280-1DAEA23512E7 (resized).jpegBA131BAD-4D32-446B-8280-1DAEA23512E7 (resized).jpeg

EA9A8773-3E77-4937-9C32-6B7576DD7731 (resized).jpegEA9A8773-3E77-4937-9C32-6B7576DD7731 (resized).jpegCEBBBDD0-D934-4C5F-B9AE-F0CE84261C51 (resized).jpegCEBBBDD0-D934-4C5F-B9AE-F0CE84261C51 (resized).jpeg
#1164 3 years ago

Need to get some more ripping from the spinners. Any tips?

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have too much tension on the switch that moves with the spinner. Try disconnecting the switch from the spinner and make sure your spinner is spinning freely and will stop anywhere in the rotation. Then adjust the switch to apply only the smallest amount tension to the spinner.

If you have already done this then I am out of ideas.

#1165 3 years ago

I like your storage space for the Mars Trek Backglass.

#1166 3 years ago

New plastics
Titan rubbers
All mechs rebuilt
All boards serviced
Still tweaking but plays pretty good already. Need to get some more ripping from the spinners. Any tips?

So for spinners you need to do a few items. Definitely make sure the switch as Cotton said is balanced and resting the spinner in a down position and barely not touch. No bends or issues. Tighten up the holding screw before any of this so the tension is tight to the playfield.

But before all of this. Take your spinner bracket and debur the holes where the spinner rests. Make sure they are absolute perfectly smooth on the outside and inside edges. Then take you spinners and sand the edges that float on the bracket. Make sure you high polish that surface to a fine shine. This is the spinner arms on both sides. Then use silicone lubricant on the parts BEFORE you install back on the field. The lubricant with solvents. You don't want to spray on or around the playfield. This stuff removes paint and melts plastics.

Put back together, make sure it's balance and then make sure the switch is perfectly parallel to the field when the spinner is in the resting position.

Thats all I got. I can get 200 plus spins on the left spinner on Quicksilver and Stargazer doing these small attention to detail items. My Galaxy I just sold has a super ripper too.

#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

So for spinners you need to do a few items. Definitely make sure the switch as Cotton said is balanced and resting the spinner in a down position and barely not touch. No bends or issues. Tighten up the holding screw before any of this so the tension is tight to the playfield.
But before all of this. Take your spinner bracket and debur the holes where the spinner rests. Make sure they are absolute perfectly smooth on the outside and inside edges. Then take you spinners and sand the edges that float on the bracket. Make sure you high polish that surface to a fine shine. This is the spinner arms on both sides. Then use silicone lubricant on the parts BEFORE you install back on the field. The lubricant with solvents. You don't want to spray on or around the playfield. This stuff removes paint and melts plastics.
Put back together, make sure it's balance and then make sure the switch is perfectly parallel to the field when the spinner is in the resting position.
Thats all I got. I can get 200 plus spins on the left spinner on Quicksilver and Stargazer doing these small attention to detail items. My Galaxy I just sold has a super ripper too.

Awesome advice, thank you!! 200?? You mean 20 right?

#1168 3 years ago

Awesome advice, thank you!! 200?? You mean 20 right?

I mean 200 spins. Over 100 consistently for the first few days after these tweeks.

#1169 3 years ago

I mean 200 spins. Over 100 consistently for the first few days after these tweeks.

That is incredible!! :-O

#1170 3 years ago

Glad to hear this. I have been getting 100 spins on Big Game inner spinner. But I don’t have camera on to prove it.

200 is phenomenal ! A goal to strive for.

#1171 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Glad to hear this. I have been getting 100 spins on Big Game inner spinner. But I don’t have camera on to prove it.
200 is phenomenal ! A goal to strive for.

Yea, That one is weird. Sometimes you can just whack the crap out of it; but other times it's just 1/2 arse. But yup BG can get a rip it and 100 with that spinner means your doing the right things!

#1172 3 years ago

New plastics
Titan rubbers
All mechs rebuilt
All boards serviced

Beautiful classic look! You did a wonderful job on this Resto. If only my build could look half as good. That coindoor....wow

#1173 3 years ago

Starting the next run of Q/S harnesses in 2 weeks. If I had you on my list you should have gotten a PM to confirm. If you didn't get one and have previously contacted me about a harness let me know.

Shawn

1 week later
#1174 3 years ago

Yesterday, I made a fast trip to Ft. Worth to Keith Holbrook's to deliver my Cheetah play field for a restore.

Someone is going to be getting a real nice Quicksilver when he comes to pick it up. A really nice original back glass, a Mirco play field, and a super paint and decal job on the cabinet.

I have played some of there pins that Keith has set up. He knows how to set them up for max play action.

Your eyes are going to bug out when you see what has been built for you !! This Quicksilver sparkles like a diamond in a goat's ass.

#1175 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yesterday, I made a fast trip to Ft. Worth to Keith Holbrook's to deliver my Cheetah play field for a restore.
Someone is going to be getting a real nice Quicksilver when he comes to pick it up. A really nice original back glass, a Mirco play field, and a super paint and decal job on the cabinet.
I have played some of there pins that Keith has set up. He knows how to set them up for max play action.
Your eyes are going to bug out when you see what has been built for you !! This Quicksilver sparkles like a diamond in a goat's ass.

I also picked up my Quicksilver play field; Keith was going to restore this one but thanks to chrispin for donating his QS to Mirco, Mirco was able to make the repro QS play field. There is a difference between the two play fields that I am going show you. I had to wait until I got my original QS home before I could show this color comparison.

This is the repro.

IMG_4321 (resized).JPGIMG_4321 (resized).JPG

And this is the original. The pic quite plainly reveals that the original QS play field uses a shade of yellow for the arches and the areas under the plastics.

IMG_4323 (resized).JPGIMG_4323 (resized).JPG

Side by side.

IMG_4334 (resized).JPGIMG_4334 (resized).JPG

Is it a deal breaker? No. Is it correct? No.

My Nine Ball, Catacomb, Flight 2000, and Big Game all have the yellow in the arches and under the plastics. My Seawitch is white. I do not know the rhyme or reason.

#1176 3 years ago

This is my Mirco play field. It has been sitting in its box for about 6 months now. The clear has cured and is as hard as a rock. It is smooth. I can barely feel the inserts; And that is with my eyes open.

It will be awhile before I can start this build but the play field is ready to install, as is.

IMG_4327 (resized).JPGIMG_4327 (resized).JPG
IMG_4328 (resized).JPGIMG_4328 (resized).JPG
IMG_4329 (resized).JPGIMG_4329 (resized).JPG

#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My Nine Ball, Catacomb, Flight 2000, and Big Game all have the yellow in the arches and under the plastics. My Seawitch is white. I do not know the rhyme or reason.

Or is the original clear yellowed, by varying degrees?

#1178 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

i was 100% convinced that was the reason... looks like yellowed clear to me, not a choice of color from factory

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I will allow that it could be. And probably is. I did not give the aging clear much credence. I'll say this: The color on these Sterns is much better looking than the piss yellow that shows up on old Gibson guitars that were painted white.

What throws me is that the yellow shade shows up even under the posts that look like they have never been removed. So, does its yellow with age when it has been kept out of sight for all the years? I'm guessing now that it probably does.

My Seawitch is white and it is just as old as the others.

#1180 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I will allow that it could be. And probably is. I did not give the aging clear much credence. I'll say this: The color on these Sterns is much better looking than the piss yellow that shows up on old Gibson guitars that were painted white.
What throws me is that the yellow shade shows up even under the posts that look like they have never been removed. So, does its yellow with age when it has been kept out of sight for all the years? I'm guessing now that it probably does.
My Seawitch is white and it is just as old as the others.

I believe some games do have off white there as specification. Turtles is a bit later, but 3 playfields I have are all the same shade of "off white" and very uniform, can't see how those areas were ever pure white. Straight White base is found beneath the off white, though.

#1181 3 years ago

could be environment also would be good to understand from Highclasspinball more about the colour differences. I got a quicksilver playfield from mirco and it looks great in my view. (also got meteor from CPR and that looks great too).

To be honest though, the playfield I want is nine ball. Its simple the best stern on the planet. Mine is ok at the moment but I'd love a mint one. (oh and an Ali playfield I wouldn't say no to also!).

#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

could be environment also would be good to understand from highclasspinball more about the colour differences. I got a quicksilver playfield from mirco and it looks great in my view. (also got meteor from CPR and that looks great too).
To be honest though, the playfield I want is nine ball. Its simple the best stern on the planet. Mine is ok at the moment but I'd love a mint one. (oh and an Ali playfield I wouldn't say no to also!).

Yup. Ali and Nineball. 2 of the greatest!!!

#1183 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I believe some games do have off white there as specification. Turtles is a bit later, but 3 playfields I have are all the same shade of "off white" and very uniform, can't see how those areas were ever pure white. Straight White base is found beneath the off white, though.

I started scrapping some on the clear to see what I could see ( the bear went over the mountain )

Here is some light scraping with an Exacto knife. No change in color.

IMG_4335 (resized).JPGIMG_4335 (resized).JPG

More scraping. Still yellow in color.

IMG_4337 (resized).JPGIMG_4337 (resized).JPG

A lot more scraping and some white looks like it is showing up.

IMG_4339 (resized).JPGIMG_4339 (resized).JPG

More scraping and some white is looking at me. The white part seems a little thin and I have to remind myself that the white, along with all play field colors, is silkscreened ink and not paint.

IMG_4342 (resized).JPGIMG_4342 (resized).JPG

I did not want to stop there so I did one more scraping along the side of this old QS play field. Eventually, it goes to white. So, if the white areas are showing yellow due to clear coat yellowing, then these is no way we are seeing the vibrancy of the original colors when the pin was new.

I guess this could be a equivalent to some of those "old Master" paintings in the old world that are being cleaned up by the curators of those items.

IMG_4346 (resized).JPGIMG_4346 (resized).JPG

#1184 3 years ago

The white was probably done really thin because it's the substrate coat for everything else and so it's covered. I've no doubt at all that the pure white pigment we get today is better than from back then.

Let's call the original color "nominal white"

#1185 3 years ago

Christopher at pinball replacement parts make some 555 lamp boards for Big Game, Catacomb, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Meteor, and Nine Ball. I have them in my Big Game, Catacomb and Nine Ball. They work great.

How many would be interested is getting a 555 lamp board for the Quicksilvers you are restoring or the Quicksilvers you are building. Obviously, I would like one of these for my QS build. There is safety in numbers.

Anybody interested?

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=3

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=4

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 6.48.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-29 at 6.48.55 PM (resized).png

#1186 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Christopher at pinball replacement parts make some 555 lamp boards for Big Game, Catacomb, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Meteor, and Nine Ball. I have them in my Big Game, Catacomb and Nine Ball. They work great.
How many would be interested is getting a 555 lamp board for the Quicksilvers you are restoring or the Quicksilvers you are building. Obviously, I would like one of these for my QS build. There is safety in numbers.
Anybody interested?
[quoted image]

I'd be in for a set. These worked out well for my Nine Ball. I wish the Cheetah one included the long row of lights in the center and the set of lights in front of the five bank.

#1187 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody interested?
[quoted image]

Yep I’d absolutely take them for Quicksilver

#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody interested?

i really don't like the 555 twisting sockets so i went with individual 44 lamp socket for my 9 Ball... actually work out cheaper too, just a bit more wiring work

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody interested?
[quoted image]

I would be in for Quicksilver, DragonFist, Nineball, Stargazer. Thank you so much!!

#1190 3 years ago

I would be in for Quicksilver, DragonFist, Nineball, Stargazer. Thank you so much!!

Count me in.

#1191 3 years ago

Got the 18AWG striped as well for this run. No more paint pens! Fun fact, one of these pictures has 7100 crimps in it. NOT a typo. These will be an all-in-one construction like the Fathoms. Easier for all of us I think. As before, do all the lighting first then add the main harness with switches, solenoids and controlled lamp wires. Instruction sheets will be posted here or can be emailed if requested.

Shawn
Third Coast Pinball

IMG_2226 (resized).JPGIMG_2226 (resized).JPGIMG_2227 (resized).JPGIMG_2227 (resized).JPGIMG_2228 (resized).JPGIMG_2228 (resized).JPG
#1192 3 years ago

That's five.

Nine Ball is already available.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-nine-ball-complete-set-of-boards-to-replace-metal-panel-sockets

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Got the 18AWG striped as well for this run. No more paint pens! Fun fact, one of these pictures has 7100 crimps in it. NOT a typo. These will be an all-in-one construction like the Fathoms. Easier for all of us I think. As before, do all the lighting first then add the main harness with switches, solenoids and controlled lamp wires. Instruction sheets will be posted here or can be emailed if requested.
Shawn
Third Coast Pinball
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a lot of work is ahead for you!

I actually liked the separate harnesses better (Ligthing/switch/coil) versus the all-in-one. It made it much easier to install, since I just did one harness at a time, making it easier to follow the wirecodes.

One-at-a-time is also how I've advised everyone that has contacted me about building one, to make it not as daunting of a task.

Any chance on getting you to change your mind?

#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Shawn
Third Coast Pinball
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have to agree, my install on Star Gazer went incredibly smooth thanks to the separated harnesses. But I'm just happy you are making these things and allowing us to both save and build machines we couldn't otherwise.

#1195 3 years ago

I assumed they would be 3 separate harnesses, as I planned on wiring the backbox & lower cab first, then doing the playfield last. That's not possible to do with an all-in-one harness?

#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I assumed they would be 3 separate harnesses, as I planned on wiring the backbox & lower cab first, then doing the playfield last. That's not possible to do with an all-in-one harness?

I think, he is saying 3 harnesses for just the playfield before as they were broken down between lights, switches, and coils. Now that will all be one large harness.

#1197 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think, he is saying 3 harnesses for just the playfield before as they were broken down between lights, switches, and coils. Now that will all be one large harness.

Ah that makes more sense. I'm just grateful he's producing them

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ah that makes more sense. I'm just grateful he's producing them

I agree though if I could provide feedback on building QS and looking at doing SG next, separated harnesses made it much easier

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yes, backbox, playfield and lower cabinet kits are three separate sections. That being said, it looks like the consensus is to make the play field harness in parts as before. Not a problem! I can do that.

Shawn

#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Yes, backbox, playfield and lower cabinet kits are three separate sections. That being said, it looks like the consensus is to make the play field harness in parts as before. Not a problem! I can do that.
Shawn

That is the way I prefer it. Your SG harness knocked it out of the park.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/24?hl=play_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.