20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 37.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I don't know how else you would test a play field for hardness. And I'm guessing he did not say. I agree that a fingernail test would not work on a car. I know the paint cure process can be speeded up by baking the paint but baking a wooden play field is not an option, as far as I know.

So, now we have to use a torque wrench to assemble a play field? What should the torque values be?
I am agreement with your restorer.

What is this addball/oddball clearcoat method? I know from reading his advertisement that he uses ceramic clearcoat. I know nothing about ceramic clear and google searching brings up no information on ceramic clear that is of value. I am clueless on the ceramic. But other than the ceramic, what is his oddball method, please?

I know from my own clear coating that you can buff and polish to a mirror finish but running my bare finger across my cured clear would/did leave very minor scratches on the surface. Polyurathane paint is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. But under glass and with the play field lights on you are not going to be seeing very minor finger rub scratches. Although I will allow that the one solid green color of Quicksilver could prove me wrong.
I am going to have to buy a Mirco QS play field. I can't get around it. If Mirco would sell one without clear coat I would prefer that but I doubt he would do that.
I have cleared two play fields now.
On the first play field I did, I laid down the clear and waited for a few days for it to "cure". I sanded it and buffed and polished it. And then I placed in the sun to "bake". The play field got hot and the clear got fingernail proofed in short order. However, I noticed the inserts were acting like they wanted to raise up with the heat from the sun. Another light sanding and another buff and polish was required after the sunshine bake. But it was cured. Within one month of doing this clear, I was putting it together and I have had no problems. And this pin has seen hundreds of game played without issue.
For my 2nd clear coat I was scared to try the sunshine bake method. I just let it cure at room temps. For months. Then I buffed it out. Not too much later I noticed the paint over the inserts was "sinking" and I could feel every insert while blindfolded. So I sanded it smooth and buffed again. I had to do this one more time. It seemed like the clear was never going to cure. It was at least a year before I could start hanging posts and other parts on that play field.
Sorry for the long post.
====================================
I am wondering if you could, or would, take a hair dryer and heat up an inconspicuous are of your play field, either under where one of the arch plastics sits or under the apron area. Could you heat that up with a hair dryer and see if the heat helps cure it out to where you cannot leave a fingernail scratch? If some heat does not help with curing it out, then I will get real nervous when I get ready to buy one of these.

I asked about the fingernail test, and if that didn't represent an accurate test, then what would... he failed to answer that one.

Yep, I suppose that means a torque wrench, further details he failed to give me. I call BS on this, I have never seen nor heard torque settings when it came to playfield population.

I don't remember exactly what makes his clearcoats different. I've read it numerous times, plus I've personally had playfield restorers refuse to touch my QS. Something to do with how the artwork interacts with the clearcoat or layers within. Someone may be able to chime in.

It's my understanding or belief that Mirco is aware they have a problem, if you need to purchase from them, just be ultra upfront that you will only accept a perfect repro.

I have sent off my playfield to the other side of Australia for re-clear coating, as their are few locally who'll touch it, so I can't help you regarding the hair dryer. Possibly worth asking HEP, he happily answers most q's from the admiring gallery.

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

He abuses the safety net of being on the other side of the world and treats customers accordingly. Yours looks great so far. Quite like the yellow rubbers, did you consider any other colours? I was looking at dull old white, you may have convinced me otherwise.

He can only hide for so long. I liked the way the yellow rings brought out the yellow highlights in the playfield.

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Have you even received a thank you from him after he made several thousand $'s from these repro's?

Lolol no, I had emailed him asking about it since I hadn't heard from him for a while and the answer I received when it finally shipped out was, "Hi, It shipped yesterday."

Quoted from cottonm4:

Your apron looks different. It looks brand new. And much of the lettering is missing. Please tell us about your apron.

I didn't get the whole apron in that shot. Here is the rest of the lettering and the scrapes that make me wanna cry every time I see them up close.
20191028_143226 (resized).jpg20191028_143226 (resized).jpg20191028_090002 (resized).jpg20191028_090002 (resized).jpg

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

He can only hide for so long. I liked the way the yellow rings brought out the yellow highlights in the playfield.

Lolol no, I had emailed him asking about it since I hadn't heard from him for a while and the answer I received when it finally shipped out was, "Hi, It shipped yesterday."

I didn't get the whole apron in that shot. Here is the rest of the lettering and the scrapes that make me wanna cry every time I see them up close.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is one nice apron. Those minor scrapes could probably be touched up by someone who paints artistically. I know the gut who restored my play field said he could clean one of mine up. He went to art school and one of the skills he learned is how to match paint. The school taught him well.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is one nice apron. Those minor scrapes could probably be touched up by someone who paints artistically. I know the gut who restored my play field said he could clean one of mine up. He went to art school and one of the skills he learned is how to match paint. The school taught him well.

Their is a Youtube video of a guy who silk screened a Stern apron.

PinballBuilders.com

1 week later
#955 4 years ago

Ok. I have had two people email telling me they are building a Quicksilver. I did not ask them but it seems obvious they are doing their build with a Mirco repro Quicksilver play field. One is converting a Dracula. I don't know about the other.

Anyway, both have the same problem and both seem too shy to post their needs on the board. Me? Hell, I'm not shy

These two guys with their Mirco repro play field need ball guides.

So, how many people need to see if Mantis can make some QS ball guides like he did for Star Gazer and Seawitch. I have a set of ball guides that could be donors to send to Mantis.

Let's see some hands.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok. I have had two people email telling me they are building a Quicksilver. I did not ask them but it seems obvious they are doing their build with a Mirco repro Quicksilver play field. One is converting a Dracula. I don't know about the other.
Anyway, both have the same problem and both seem too shy to post their needs on the board. Me? Hell, I'm not shy
So, how many people need to see if Mantis can make some QS ball guides like he did for Star Gazer and Seawitch. I have a set of ball guides that could be donors to send to Mantis.
Let's see some hands.

I'll take a set or 2

#957 4 years ago

Absolutely! Let's make it happen.
-Mike

#958 4 years ago

Not sure if my brother is one of the two you're talking about but we're going to build one too. We were just discussing what to do about ball guides. Was toying with attempting it ourselves but also suggested to him that maybe Kerry would make them. Though there was the problem of getting something for reference. Either a playfield or existing rails.

If you've got the rails and want to request him to make them we'd definitely be in for a set. Would save us time and money.

#959 4 years ago

Well, that is 3 or 4 depending on Mitch.

As I recall, mine were in good shape. But I will have to look.

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Not sure if my brother is one of the two you're talking about but we're going to build one too. We were just discussing what to do about ball guides. Was toying with attempting it ourselves but also suggested to him that maybe Kerry would make them. Though there was the problem of getting something for reference. Either a playfield or existing rails.
If you've got the rails and want to request him to make them we'd definitely be in for a set. Would save us time and money.

No. You are new. One who contacted me is from Georgia. The other is from Michigan.

I'm not counting them. They are going to have to come here and get un-shy.

#961 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Probably a long shot but:
Does anyone have an extra set of ball guides? The large metal ones, not the wire ones (but I'd take the wire ones too)?
Or, if you know where ones can be made/purchased?
Thanks.

Pretty sure I’m still looking for a set....

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Yeah I didn’t reach out. Ball guides are the big missing piece right now since everything else is obtainable in some fashion. I need to find the two drop target assemblies if anyone has a 3-bank and a 4-bank in their stash.

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Let's see some hands.

I’d buy a set.

#964 4 years ago

Put me down for a set.

#965 4 years ago

That makes 8.

I'll dig my set out tomorrow and see what kind of shape they are in.

Heads up: I bought a set of the Mantis ball guides for Star Gazer and Seawitch. They are made of brushed stainless steel. They will not be shiny like the factory guides. But they will buff and polish to a high shine if you have a bench buffer.

#966 4 years ago

Count me in for a set of ball guides. Thanks.

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from keys88:

Count me in for a set of ball guides. Thanks.

We are now at 9.

#968 4 years ago

Im in too!!! Also building a quicksilver layout game

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Im in too!!! Also building a quicksilver layout game

And now 10.

#970 4 years ago

Ball Guides yes please I will take a set

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Let's see some hands.

I'm in!

#973 4 years ago

Me too.

#975 4 years ago

I just looked at my pair of guides and they have what Vid called the Bally Line of Death ball wear into the chrome finish. So I need a set, as well.

That makes 14.

I just sent an email to Kerry at Mantis to see we have enough buyers and see if he is interested in tooling up to produce Quicksilver ball guides.

I just got a reply. Kerry has told me to send my guides. That does not mean he will make them but this a good chance he will.

As I recall, the Seawitch guides and Star Gazer guides were in the neighborhood of $85.00 a set + shipping.

It will be next week before I can send out to him.
=============================

I have 2 ball guides. One is a long arch that make an orbit across the top of the play field. And the other is about 14" long with a hook bent on one end.

I need to confirm that these 2 guides make a complete set before I ship..

Please confirm that 2 guides is the correct number to ship.

Thanks

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Please confirm that 2 guides is the correct number to ship.

Correct. 2 metal ball guides.
A suggestion though. There is a saucer hole bent metal bracket. That is another piece people will need. I'm sure it's common to other games, so Mantis will like that.

Another piece people will need are wire guides. Mantis won't touch them; I know because I tried when sending my stargazer guides.

Craig - I bet you can make these and sell a few sets.

Kinda related, necessary for a build part: Backbox lamp board
The display cutouts are common to other stern games, but the lamp placement is not. If you want it to be the same, a copy will need to be made.
Or, if you're creative, here's an opportunity to put bulbs exactly where you want them.

#977 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

A suggestion though. There is a saucer hole bent metal bracket. That is another piece people will need. I'm sure it's common to other games, so Mantis will like that.

David, this is a great thought. I have two of those on my Catacomb. I think I can model one from some polycarbonate to send to Kerry.

Quoted from brenna98:

Another piece people will need are wire guides. Mantis won't touch them; I know because I tried when sending my stargazer guides.
Craig - I bet you can make these and sell a few sets.

This is another project I have been preparing for. I have a tube of .093 stainless steel welding rod. What I have to do first is locate a suitable wire/rod bender. I have seen a homemade bender on Ebay that does not look too difficult to fabricate. I'll get there.
================

Kerry has advised me he will be away from work for the last 2 weeks of November so I will hold off on sending the guides until 1st week of December.

Thanks for the confirmation and the saucer stop.

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Kinda related, necessary for a build part: Backbox lamp board
The display cutouts are common to other stern games, but the lamp placement is not. If you want it to be the same, a copy will need to be made.
Or, if you're creative, here's an opportunity to put bulbs exactly where you want them.

I don't recall where I found this but I saved it a few months back when I first had the mutual idea we're all having here. It was posted on pinside somewhere but I couldn't find it again, so I'm glad I emailed it to myself at the time! https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uz61811dta1cx6/Quicksilver_light_box.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FLight+Board+Quicksilver.pdf

Thank you mystery person.

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

David, this is a great thought. I have two of those on my Catacomb. I think I can model one from some polycarbonate to send to Kerry.

This is another project I have been preparing for. I have a tube of .093 stainless steel welding rod. What I have to do first is locate a suitable wire/rod bender. I have seen a homemade bender on Ebay that does not look too difficult to fabricate. I'll get there.
================
Kerry has advised me he will be away from work for the last 2 weeks of November so I will hold off on sending the guides until 1st week of December.
Thanks for the confirmation and the saucer stop.

Oh yeah, one other thing.

I am planning to send a ball guide (ball stop ) that sits behind the flippers on Big Game. Some people need these for their BG. Kerry could provide the perfect solution.

I guess now I need to canvass the Big Game board and se how many people would like some spares.

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

not that it matters, but 15

It looks like you are talking to yourself. But I'm guessing there is a message in here for someone.

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It looks like you are talking to yourself. But I'm guessing there is a message in here for someone.

I think he means we are now up to 15 sets of Lane Guides

#983 4 years ago

I would like a set as well!

#984 4 years ago

I'd like a set of lane guides if they get produced.

#985 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

I think he means we are now up to 15 sets of Lane Guides

Thanks. I missed that.

With Crispin we are at 17. That should be high enough to keep Mantis interested.

Of course, anything is a numbers game. The more that buy helps spread the costs which might help to keep the prices down.

#986 4 years ago

I'm in please.

Neil.

#987 4 years ago

Getting so close to completion. Game is fully assembled except the handrails and my plastics set that I can't get back from Mirco. I wet sanded the handrails to 400 today but need to make my way up to 1000. I gave up and ordered a set of plastics from pinball rescue. Still need to reprint the information cards inside the cab.
20190902_003333 (resized).jpg20190902_003333 (resized).jpg20191030_101805 (resized).jpg20191030_101805 (resized).jpg20191030_152252 (resized).jpg20191030_152252 (resized).jpg20191102_001153 (resized).jpg20191102_001153 (resized).jpg20191102_005614 (resized).jpg20191102_005614 (resized).jpg20191102_005705 (resized).jpg20191102_005705 (resized).jpg20191102_083210 (resized).jpg20191102_083210 (resized).jpg20191111_120049 (resized).jpg20191111_120049 (resized).jpg

#988 4 years ago

I'd be in for a set of ball guides

#989 4 years ago

#991 4 years ago

Kerry at Mantis is away until early December. I sent him pics of my ball guides. We will talk when he gets back. He said they did not look difficult to produce. That i all I know for now.

#992 4 years ago

I’m in for a set of ball guides as well.

1 week later
#993 4 years ago

not getting any power to the boards on my game - something simple?

GI comes on - that's it...

#994 4 years ago

You probably blew one or more fuses on the rectifier board (bottom cabinet). Are you getting any startup bongs at all?

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

You probably blew one or more fuses on the rectifier board (bottom cabinet). Are you getting any startup bongs at all?

nothing, just GI. will check out the fuses.

Neil.

#996 4 years ago

Need some advice. I’m currently having my Quicksilver cabinet restored, the silver has been sprayed and looking good with the stenciling to come. In the mean time I’ve powdercoated the legs and coin door. Long Story but I’m not convinced the colour they’ve used for powdercoating will work. Possibly too similar to the cabinet. My cabinet is being restored on the other side of Australia so getting true comparisons is done via sending each other pictures which are never truly accurate but they’re a decent guide... any thoughts? Do you think going a darker powdercoat would look better?

The coin door powdercoat colour is Silver Kinetic Pearl.

C200C7EF-CFDB-4D8E-A549-3F104F6B0D0E (resized).jpegC200C7EF-CFDB-4D8E-A549-3F104F6B0D0E (resized).jpeg901078AE-F6CA-4D37-B0AA-9259641433BB (resized).png901078AE-F6CA-4D37-B0AA-9259641433BB (resized).pngF507DB4A-0DE5-47EC-893E-F18BC6E1FDA7 (resized).jpegF507DB4A-0DE5-47EC-893E-F18BC6E1FDA7 (resized).jpegE7B81DF5-BC6E-43A3-BBEB-0B6AE4A41674 (resized).jpegE7B81DF5-BC6E-43A3-BBEB-0B6AE4A41674 (resized).jpegDBFE59D9-07B4-471B-AF46-7F46202DFAB8 (resized).jpegDBFE59D9-07B4-471B-AF46-7F46202DFAB8 (resized).jpegDFD49A60-5E1A-41F6-8A7B-3C047E4E6550 (resized).jpegDFD49A60-5E1A-41F6-8A7B-3C047E4E6550 (resized).jpeg4ACA50A7-CAB6-46FD-AB1D-6D173867C1FC (resized).jpeg4ACA50A7-CAB6-46FD-AB1D-6D173867C1FC (resized).jpeg
#997 4 years ago

This is another members QS which I quite like the look of.

8DA20979-D77A-4C02-98A9-C1ABC15BF171 (resized).jpeg8DA20979-D77A-4C02-98A9-C1ABC15BF171 (resized).jpeg
#998 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Getting so close to completion. Game is fully assembled except the handrails and my plastics set that I can't get back from Mirco. I wet sanded the handrails to 400 today but need to make my way up to 1000. I gave up and ordered a set of plastics from pinball rescue. Still need to reprint the information cards inside the cab.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you go up to 1000 you will take away the grain. Use 400 grit then a red pad. There are a few threads on here about refinishing stainless. Unless of course you like the shiny look, then go to 1000.

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

If you go up to 1000 you will take away the grain. Use 400 grit then a red pad. There are a few threads on here about refinishing stainless. Unless of course you like the shiny look, then go to 1000.

Yeah I made them shiny. After sanding I buffed them on my friend polishing wheel.20191125_141300 (resized).jpg20191125_141300 (resized).jpg
20191125_151508 (resized).jpg20191125_151508 (resized).jpg

20191125_165251 (resized).jpg20191125_165251 (resized).jpg20191125_184633 (resized).jpg20191125_184633 (resized).jpg
#1000 4 years ago

Does anyone have files for the paperwork that gets stapled inside the cabinet and head. All of mine are filthy and I scanned them but don't know how to clean them up in a program.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 959.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/20?hl=dicky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.