Topic Stats

• 1,123 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 394 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
06928200-2B73-432F-B4E7-CAF7BADE8F0B (resized).jpeg
87DFC776-11F0-4E4D-AB80-D7444F3F77F5 (resized).jpeg
09EB6182-2B83-489D-893B-C15247AFCFDF (resized).jpeg
Stern_1980_Quicksilver_Lamp_Driver_Schematic (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 3.12.47 PM (resized).png
3E464475-59EB-45AC-95CF-EED542FF4C85 (resized).jpeg
B9DC3B12-7930-416B-99AE-2B856E97F832 (resized).jpeg
D3738FFE-987D-4244-BE95-82141C5F4141 (resized).png
548AAB8D-62E4-4E68-BD5A-7CA33BA343C5 (resized).jpeg
EA615B9E-07BD-4A2C-B488-D608FAF8554F (resized).jpeg
8A71FAA3-4EFD-4656-B99F-CE7A2D665070 (resized).jpeg
FA735092-32A8-41A6-8269-2145503274DF (resized).jpeg
D50BB85F-72D3-4DC4-8331-7AC23323FECA (resized).jpeg
66AB6BB4-5E50-460F-A77F-4235F21605AD (resized).jpeg
9D350DF5-F42B-4A0A-BA78-E4B84BC712CC (resized).jpeg

There are 1123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 23.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Snappy flippers: Check. I rebuilt mine. That, along with steep pitch, I get get air balls. I get glass balls. I get balls jumping over the sling shots. I get balls jumping over the upper play field plastics. It's a gas.
Educate me: What are the, " crazy plastic pop bumper rings and translucent lighting" of which you speak?

Coming to TPF? Play my Af-Tor and you'll see what he's talking about. Same pop bumpers.

#52 4 years ago

Anyone want to part with a QS at Allentown show?

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Coming to TPF? Play my Af-Tor and you'll see what he's talking about. Same pop bumpers.

Yes. I am coming to TPF. My plan is to arrive for the Friday 5pm opening.

Af-tor? Never heard of it until I googled it and watched a YouTube vid. That looks like a fun table to play. And nobody know how many were made. Interesting.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Why the low numbers? Thoughts.

While Bally may have had an gentleman's agreement with Stern on the boards,
I heard they played hardball with the distributors, and if they carried Stern pins,
they would not get access to or good deals with Bally pins.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I heard they played hardball with the distributors, and if they carried Stern pins,

AG yes, I remember reading about that. I wonder if vid remembers, perhaps we could get him to chime in.

These classic sterns are amazing machines, just an absolute blast to play.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

These classic sterns are amazing machines, just an absolute blast to play.

This is what I am finding out. I'm rather new to this stuff. My journey started when I built a visual pinball about 3 years ago. One thing led to another and I wound up buying a decrepit Bally Playboy. And the quest to find another pin was based on the different visual pinball tables I played and You Tube videos I watched. That led me to actively search for my Big Game. And that led to learning about these other Stern tables. Forget Joker Poker, Forget Mata Hari and others I once lusted after.

I have one more Stern that will be in my possession in about two weeks and I will say no more until I have it pried from the seller's cold, live, hands and home safe.

After that, after I push, pull, and squeeze, I will be able to make room for 3 more pins in my house. They all will be Sterns of this era.

It is for sure all about supply vs. demand and I feel like I am late in arriving to the party.

#57 4 years ago

I think the prices on this era Sterns are going to go bonkers just like the same era Bally's did two years ago.

Heck, PavBall and I just paid $2,500 for and shipped a non-restored Quicksilver (we had been looking for awhile). Before that I had also pm'd many of the owners on Pinside who had one and they just were not interested in parting with them, at all.

#58 4 years ago

For folks wanting to buy classic sterns. They SUCK.....They break all the time, sound boards suck, they are thrashed and no parts are avalible.... Also they don't hold up in value and they just suck. CLASSIC STERN JUNK....I promise.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is what I am finding out. I'm rather new to this stuff. My journey started when I built a visual pinball about 3 years ago. One thing led to another and I wound up buying a decrepit Bally Playboy. And the quest to find another pin was based on the different visual pinball tables I played and You Tube videos I watched. That led me to actively search for my Big Game. And that led to learning about these other Stern tables. Forget Joker Poker, Forget Mata Hari and others I once lusted after.
I have one more Stern that will be in my possession in about two weeks and I will say no more until I have it pried from the seller's cold, live, hands and home safe.
After that, after I push, pull, and squeeze, I will be able to make room for 3 more pins in my house. They all will be Sterns of this era.
It is for sure all about supply vs. demand and I feel like I am late in arriving to the party.

I misquoted. They suck....Sorry for misleading you....

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Probably that too....

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I misquoted. They suck....Sorry for misleading you....

Oh, that's OK. I suppose since I am on the buying side of the equation I should be yelling out how crappy they are. Once I get loaded up then they will be worth a king's ransom

#62 4 years ago

For folks wanting to buy classic sterns. They SUCK.....They break all the time, sound boards suck, they are thrashed and no parts are avalible.... Also they don't hold up in value and they just suck. CLASSIC STERN JUNK....I promise.

Just get done playing Split Second?

#63 4 years ago

Bowen Kerins has a Quicksilver tutorial on the PAPA site (Youtube also)
showing how much we can all suck playing this game.
It is on a totally Blown Out QS too.

#64 4 years ago

So, what are the guesses on how many of these are out there still? 1,201 produced and 35 reportedly owned on Pinside in private collections with 3 more on public play.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, what are the guesses on how many of these are out there still? 1,201 produced and 35 reportedly owned on Pinside in private collections with 3 more on public play.

Papa flood -1

#66 4 years ago

Using the 7 year rule of 1/2 of the games exist every 7 years ... that puts you around 35-40. i would say that is right.

35-40. I know of about 7.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Bowen Kerins has a Quicksilver tutorial on the PAPA site (Youtube also)
showing how much we can all suck playing this game.
It is on a totally Blown Out QS too.
ยป YouTube video

Good to know there's one game where I can beat him.

#68 4 years ago

Using the 7 year rule of 1/2 of the games exist every 7 years ... that puts you around 35-40. i would say that is right.

That seven year rule is probably pretty good for a game from the early 80's for sure.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Quoted from dothedoo:

Yea, In this case his strategy needs alot of work. That is NOT how you play Quicksilver....Actually quite the opposite.

#70 4 years ago

35 Pinsiders show it in their collection.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/quicksilver

Marcus

#71 4 years ago

I did a spread sheet on the 7 year half life for Stern's pins. It is rather sobering. If any thing needs corrected, speak up. Tigerlaw, I hope this is not hi-jacking your thread. If it is , I'll edit it out.

The three leftmost columns are listed from lowest number produced to highest number produced: Production Year, Game name, and units produced.

The 2nd set of columns are stratified by year starting with 1977.

From 1980, there are five seven year half cycles. Using the 7 year formula, there would be, for example, 96 Stingrays, 27 Star gazers, 38 Quicksilvers, and 11 Dragonfists. I could not find any numbers for Split Second.

Why do I suddenly feel like I am breathing rarified air?

Stern_Counts_to__line_23_(resized).jpg

Stern_counts_from_line_23_(resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tigerlaw, I hope this is not hi-jacking your thread. If it is , I'll edit it out.

Heck no this is not hijacking my thread. It is adding to it greatly.

Those are sobering numbers for certain.

#73 4 years ago

Don't put too much stock into those 7 year half life formulas.

When EMs gave way to SS, operators found that even a 1 year old EM looked and earned like a dinosaur.

Often, you could not sell an EM for even $50, and some ops had a rule 'never sell a used game to the public, or they will stop playing on route" - so many games went to the dump.

-

When SS games gave way to DMD games, you could still get a hundred or more bucks for them. Professional auction companies like American Amusements would even advertise and (gasp!) sell directly to the public.

So rather than going to the dump, many SS games went to the relative safety of people's Rec Rooms.

-

Looking at that chart in 2008, supposedly 75 Quicksilvers were in people's homes.

Now in 2015, are we to believe that 37 of those games have been destroyed? How?

-

Of course very rarely we hear of a fire or flood, but not 37 of them.

-

I personally know where 11 Quicksilvers are, so there is no way that I magically have a line on 1/4 of the remaining stock.

There are many hundreds still out there.

#74 4 years ago

That's a good point. There comes a time when there is simply not a substantial reduction any more.

#75 4 years ago

Yea, In this case his strategy needs alot of work. That is NOT how you play Quicksilver....Actually quite the opposite.

What's your ideal strategy for QS?

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

What's your ideal strategy for QS?

Left flipper:
1st choice - spinner if lit
2nd choice - multiplier drops
3rd choice - center drops; 1st choice if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver'

Right flipper:
1st choice - spinner
2nd choice - saucer
3rd choice - center drops, but only if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver' as it's a sucker shot from the right flipper

That's my strategy anyway. Competition play may change it slightly, but not much.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I personally know where 11 Quicksilvers are, so there is no way that I magically have a line on 1/4 of the remaining stock.
There are many hundreds still out there.

Next time I go hunting for a game that never comes up for sale I'm reaching out to your first. How many Spirits do you know of?

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Next time I go hunting for a game that never comes up for sale I'm reaching out to your first. How many Spirits do you know of?

Two for sure and one that I believe is still with the same owner (but I have not spoken with him for 2 years).

-

The two most common games I see in peoples rec rooms are Bally Playboy and TAF, sometimes both in the same house. Usually broken with junk stacked on top of them.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Magic eraser, simple green and a lot of patience.

Talk to me about Simple Green, please. I looked at SG at Walmart; It was a pale green and the main ingredient is water. I went to Lowes and the SG they were selling was darker green and more concentrated, but still the main ingredient is water.

Is there some place you can buy SG that is not diluted? The water part scares me.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Talk to me about Simple Green, please. I looked at SG at Walmart; It was a pale green and the main ingredient is water. I went to Lowes and the SG they were selling was darker green and more concentrated, but still the main ingredient is water.
Is there some place you can buy SG that is not diluted? The water part scares me.

Simple green is way better then Alcohol and other materials. You use a few drops per square you cut of ME. Such a small amount and you don't put it on the playfield. You put it in the ME. It is so much better then anything else. Been using for years and very , very happy.

Here you go. Before and after...I have probably 100 fields like this I can show ME with SG.

100_2201_(resized).JPG

DSCF8982_(resized).JPG

#81 4 years ago

While Classic_Stern uses just a few drops, I prefer a "wetter" approach. I spray each square of M.E. with one or two squirts straight from the concentrated Simple Green sold by Lowes. I scrub for 3-4 seconds in one small area and then wipe with a dry cloth.

Here is a Stern Star Gazer that I cleaned up with this approach.

Before:
Before

After:

After

Marcus

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Left flipper:
1st choice - spinner if lit
2nd choice - multiplier drops
3rd choice - center drops; 1st choice if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver'
Right flipper:
1st choice - spinner
2nd choice - saucer
3rd choice - center drops, but only if one letter needed for 'quick' or 'quicksilver' as it's a sucker shot from the right flipper
That's my strategy anyway. Competition play may change it slightly, but not much.

Left flipper should hit the left spinner. It's a safer and easier shot than the right spinner.

#83 4 years ago

So, the Quicksilver was supposed to be delivered today but darn flooding shut the highway down for at least the next three days. Guess I will get it after TPF.

I feel sorry for those driving from here to Dallas for TPF...all traffic routed through Shreveport to get to Dallas.

#84 4 years ago

Simple green is way better then Alcohol and other materials. You use a few drops per square you cut of ME. Such a small amount and you don't put it on the playfield. You put it in the ME. It is so much better then anything else. Been using for years and very , very happy.
Here you go. Before and after...I have probably 100 fields like this I can show ME with SG.

Very helpful! I met you at TPF briefly a few years ago, I'm going to be hunting you down this year for some pointers for sure.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Very helpful! I met you at TPF briefly a few years ago, I'm going to be hunting you down this year for some pointers for sure.

Find me. Will be in the Top Hat....

I am out of simple green and working on a playfield with Alcohol now. I just don't understand how people cannot see how SG is so much better. I just stopped. Alcohol SUCKS!!!!.....Not even a close comparison. Alcohol is like sanding. SG is like pulling dirt.

#86 4 years ago

Is this swirl marks I am looking at on my BG bingo cards? Or is this just cracked paint? Will SG clean this up? I have used alcohol but it did not help much.

(I am trying to color match the cards. They are in the yellow color family. Not white at all.

IMG_0064_(resized).JPG

#87 4 years ago

Those are cracks in the clear. ME with SG should clean them up.

#88 4 years ago

I hear you Bill. I've preached and preached NOT to use alcohol with the ME over on RGP for years. People still persisted though giving advice about ME and to use alcohol with it. Simple green or crazy clean with the ME is the way to go. Little to NO residue with these versus the inferior alcohol method. Will people listen to the voices of experience? That is the question.

#89 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip DR DAVE going SG from here on out

4 weeks later
#90 3 years ago

Are there any must have mods for this game? Any backlit interactive kits for the back glass?

#91 3 years ago

Yet another "wish I had one" post.
Should anyone be interested in selling one in great shape, shoot me a msg!

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Are there any must have mods for this game?

A subwoofer.

Other than that, nothing....the game is perfect.

1 week later
#93 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the prices on this era Sterns are going to go bonkers just like the same era Bally's did two years ago.
Heck, PavBall and I just paid $2,500 for and shipped a non-restored Quicksilver (we had been looking for awhile). Before that I had also pm'd many of the owners on Pinside who had one and they just were not interested in parting with them, at all.

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out a value on my Quicksilver as part of a trade, how does mine compare to the ones that sold for $2,500?

I need to replace/fix the player 4 display, the playfield has wear and the backglass needs to be touched up.

Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/9qt1Qp1ZobqhfD1q8

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out a value on my Quicksilver as part of a trade, how does mine compare to the ones that sold for $2,500?
I need to replace/fix the player 4 display, the playfield has wear and the backglass needs to be touched up.
Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/9qt1Qp1ZobqhfD1q8

Yours has more playfield wear than Tiger's game. And the backglass is not as nice. And the display brings down the value as well.

So with all of that, you would most likely find a willing buyer at $1,800-$2,000 mark.

Quicksilver is a hot title.

While this game would have been a $1,300-$1,400 version in the past, Quicksilver is no longer a $1,300 title.

So, if your trading partner will not give you at least $1,800 towards the trade, then you should sell it. Because I know that it would be gone pretty damn quick once it hit the market forum.

Just my 0.02.

Marcus

#95 3 years ago

Incorrect spinners too, very hard to find correct spinners for this game. Backrack harness is kind of a mess too, not saying it can't be cleaned up properly, but it does add extra work if the wiring has been cut short.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Yours has more playfield wear than Tiger's game. And the backglass is not as nice. And the display brings down the value as well.
So with all of that, you would most likely find a willing buyer at $1,800-$2,000 mark.
Quicksilver is a hot title.
While this game would have been a $1,300-$1,400 version in the past, Quicksilver is no longer a $1,300 title.
So, if your trading partner will not give you at least $1,800 towards the trade, then you should sell it. Because I know that it would be gone pretty damn quick once it hit the market forum.
Just my 0.02.
Marcus

Thanks that was very helpful!

Quoted from dothedoo:

Incorrect spinners too, very hard to find correct spinners for this game. Backrack harness is kind of a mess too, not saying it can't be cleaned up properly, but it does add extra work if the wiring has been cut short.

The head harness is not cut, but it could use a little neatening.

1 week later
#97 3 years ago

Looks like I'm in the club!
I picked up that machine from Tighe on my way home from Allentown last weekend.
It needs a little love, but I'm up to the task. The cabinet is nearly perfect, so I may just clean and do a few little touch-ups on that. The glass needs to be sealed and two small repairs made. The displays seem to come in and out... so I'll start by reflowing the headers and cleaning up the connectors. I already zip-tied much of the head harness that was loose and I have spare spinners. A friend of mine is powdercoating some yellow stern spinners and has created tiny little silkscreens for the logo/stars. Can't wait to get those!

I have another friend with a spare playfield in better shape, so I may just restore his and then swap. He only wants it for a custom re-theme project anyway... so may as well sand down the one that's worse off

One question for you guys. Do all the drop targets have the same color "S" on them? This game seems to have black "S" on the 4 bank and gold on the 3 bank.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Looks like I'm in the club!
I picked up that machine from Tighe on my way home from Allentown last weekend.
It needs a little love, but I'm up to the task. The cabinet is nearly perfect, so I may just clean and do a few little touch-ups on that. The glass needs to be sealed and two small repairs made. The displays seem to come in and out... so I'll start by reflowing the headers and cleaning up the connectors. I already zip-tied much of the head harness that was loose and I have spare spinners. A friend of mine is powdercoating some yellow stern spinners and has created tiny little silkscreens for the logo/stars. Can't wait to get those!
I have another friend with a spare playfield in better shape, so I may just restore his and then swap. He only want it for a custom re-them project anyway... so may as well sand down the one that's worse off
One question for you guys. Do all the drop targets have the same color "S" on them? This game seems to have black "S" on the 4 bank and gold on the 3 bank.

Congrats on the pickup Drano! My drops are yellow (gold) on the 3 bank and green on the 4 bank. Be sure to post your progress.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Yep, 3 yellow and 4 green.

100_2207_(resized).JPG

100_2208_(resized).JPG

Stern.Quicksilver_Drop.target_(resized).jpg

#100 3 years ago

Aha! They are green. Looked black down in the game room.
They're in decent shape too. Guess I'll keep them then

Thanks guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
There are 1123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside